Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2020 10:22:49(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi all,

I was fascinated by older Stationary Steam Engines from Märklin for a while and had missed a rather nice one that came up at a local auction here so back in 2004 when the MHI 16051 was released, well it caught my imagination. It's certainly impressive.

I received an enquiry off-list for instructions for this model and it appears others have also needed to find them from time to time but uploads on others sites have since vanished so I though it a good idea to post them here for posterity.

But first, the original brochure...

16051-1.jpg

16051-2.jpg

16051-3.jpg

16051-4.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2020 10:24:37(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
And the instructions...

16051-Instructions1.jpg

16051-Instructions-p14.jpg

16051-Instructions-p15.jpg

16051-Instructions-p16.jpg

16051-Instructions-p17.jpg

16051-Instructions-p18.jpg

16051-Instructions-p19.jpg

16051-Instructions-p20.jpg

16051-SafetyInformation.jpg

Special Oil for SuperHeated Engines - PN 651828

P1060213.JPGSHSOil-651828(2).jpgSHSOil-651828.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2020 10:54:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The pages as posted are somewhat small, do you not have them in a pdf?
Offline Cbwho  
#4 Posted : 06 January 2020 15:04:39(UTC)
Cbwho

United States   
I lacked the instructions for the 16051, so happy you postedthe images. About me, I have fired numerous steam engines (even a full size 28hp one!) I always have stuff to learn!

I have half a dozen Märklin steam engines as well as bits of construction sets. Märklin engines are always top notch.

In regards to my 16051, noticed that while steaming, the manometer reads zero. I suspect it is priming with water? With air, it reads fine. Does your read true? Any ideas on how to fix?

Mine is weak in power but it isn't sloppy. Reading the forums, the next thing to check is the steam line seals. They be a bit blocked.
How is yours on power?
My Wilesco engines will go like nuts unloaded or run tons of stuff when loaded. This one is anemic.

I've fixed several faults with it so far. The sight glass was plugged up with white junk. Lime I suspect. I pulled the top and bottom plugs and brass inserts. I also cleaned the boiler with vinegar and more powder crud came out. The feed valve was stuck and that is now sorted. One of the oilers was gummed up too.

-Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cbwho
Offline Cbwho  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2020 03:47:34(UTC)
Cbwho

United States   
My engine is now a fire cracker. Has lots of power and feeds the boiler well.

What I did was slowly take it apart and look for things that didn't seem right. The Märklin 16051 is a highly engineered engine. It's actually a joy to work on.

What I discovered is that eccentrics are not smooth as they need to be broken in. The best approach is to probably belt up the engine to a drill or run on an air compressor for several hours. To speed things up, instead I used 1500 grit sand paper with some baby oil. I very gently and briefly sanded the inside ring and eccentric with numerous test fits and did so until it felt right. Looking at it, you don't visually see a difference so you have to feel the difference, I then used cotton q tips and tissue paper to wipe everything off so it is spotless. I did that with all 3 eccentrics. The engine feels very nice now. I also adjusted the water pump until that felt perfect when spinning the engine. Everything must be down by feel.

Another important thing is to replace the seals in the steam connection. I used automotive high temperature gasket material and leather hole punches and made a bunch of gasket donuts and only chose the best ones to use.

Now that it is dialed in, it runs like a dream.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Cbwho
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2020 10:21:09(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
That's great to hear Chris, sounds like taking your time and approaching it sensibly paid off. Love to see a video of it running if you can post one. To be honest, reading the instructions I'm kinda glad I've not attempted to fire mine up.

95/5% distilled/tap water, denatured alcohol, a rubber bellow (not included!!) for on the fly water top-ups.... of course I get that it's a precision machine, but that's a bit more detailed than I anticipated.

In fact, when I looked at it last I really had to wonder if it still had a place in my 'theme' any more? When I look back on my start with Märklin and the topics and items I'm now interested in I would never have believed the diversity.

I have a smaller one which I would keep, 4097/5/91 from c. 1932, original box etc, has a quaint charm about it :-)

4097-5-91-ovp.jpg

4097label-42.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Cbwho  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2021 06:05:56(UTC)
Cbwho

United States   
There is one more adjustment I want to make on my 16051, like I mentioned it runs very nicely now.

I noticed the safety valve could seal better at low pressure. The engine doesn't build up pressure when the fire runs low. The valve pin really needs to be seated with valve or polishing paste. Any recommendations before I attempt?

I really like dialing in my engines so they are top runners for my saw tables.
Offline SteamBruce  
#8 Posted : 06 October 2022 12:18:07(UTC)
SteamBruce

New Zealand   
Another new member here, Bruce also from NZ (Porangahau).

I managed to find a full copy of the 16051 manual in all languages if others want it.

Cheers,
Bruce 16051.pdf (3,717kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by SteamBruce