Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#1 Posted : 25 November 2019 23:25:13(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the bogies from bogie coaches? I have one that is prone to derailing and the bogie doesn't seem to be rotating smoothly, but I need to disassemble it to see what is catching.

Thanks

Chris
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 25 November 2019 23:48:17(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the bogies from bogie coaches? I have one that is prone to derailing and the bogie doesn't seem to be rotating smoothly, but I need to disassemble it to see what is catching.

Thanks

Chris

Yes it's possible.
But they are not all the same.
A picture of the offender would help us make constructive suggestions!Wink Wink
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2019 09:59:07(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

Yes it's possible.
But they are not all the same.
A picture of the offender would help us make constructive suggestions!Wink Wink

It's an 8711 coach. There seems to be a "pip" that comes up through the floor of the coach, but there's no obvious way of releasing it. I'll try and take a picture later if my description isn't clear enough.

Thanks for your help

Chris

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2019 23:07:01(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
It's an 8711 coach. There seems to be a "pip" that comes up through the floor of the coach, but there's no obvious way of releasing it. I'll try and take a picture later if my description isn't clear enough.

Thanks for your help

Chris

For the benefit of anyone else who finds themselves in the same predicament, I'll answer my own question.

The inside of the coach looks like this

IMG_2809.JPG

Using my usual "brute force and ignorance" approach, I found that the bogie can be removed simply by pushing down on the black "pip"

Once off, I found that the metal plate that holds the coupling in place was loose at one of the plastic rivets. I held the plate down whilst melting the rivet a bit more and now all seems to be well. I'm not really sure why this has cured the problem but the plate does extend under the pivot of the bogie, so I think it must have been forcing the bogie not to sit flat.

Hope this turns out to be helpful to someone at some point.

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 27 November 2019 00:10:54(UTC)
TEEWolf

For the benefit of anyone else who finds themselves in the same predicament, I'll answer my own question.

The inside of the coach looks like this

IMG_2809.JPG

Using my usual "brute force and ignorance" approach, I found that the bogie can be removed simply by pushing down on the black "pip"

Once off, I found that the metal plate that holds the coupling in place was loose at one of the plastic rivets. I held the plate down whilst melting the rivet a bit more and now all seems to be well. I'm not really sure why this has cured the problem but the plate does extend under the pivot of the bogie, so I think it must have been forcing the bogie not to sit flat.

Hope this turns out to be helpful to someone at some point.

Chris

I only run H0, no Z. But a picture in a high resolution from the other side of your car would be helpful. I only could find this picture from Lokmuseum.

https://www.google.de/im...&iact=mrc&uact=8

But the resolution is not good.

Offline Carim  
#6 Posted : 27 November 2019 09:19:53(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

If possible, could we have a photo of the black "pip", the plastic rivets and the one that needed melting?

Thanks,
Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#7 Posted : 27 November 2019 22:04:29(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chris,

If possible, could we have a photo of the black "pip", the plastic rivets and the one that needed melting?

Thanks,
Carim

Apologies for the poor picture quality, but I think you can make out the important details from this picture.

IMG_2816.JPG

This is a different bogie from the one I dealt with last night (I didn't want to risk undoing whatever I had done yesterday). I noticed, though that the metal plate isn't clinched tightly under the rivet I point out and you can see the plate slope up away from the coupling. This tends to suggest that it was something else I did last night that got the coach running nicely and that clinching the plate more tightly under the rivet was not necessary.

In answer to TEEWolf's question, there is nothing to see on the underside of the bogie. The post with the retaining "pip" at the top is moulded into the bogie.

Hope this is of help

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 29 November 2019 23:57:17(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chris,

Thanks,
Carim

Apologies for the poor picture quality, but I think you can make out the important details from this picture.

IMG_2816.JPG

This is a different bogie from the one I dealt with last night (I didn't want to risk undoing whatever I had done yesterday). I noticed, though that the metal plate isn't clinched tightly under the rivet I point out and you can see the plate slope up away from the coupling. This tends to suggest that it was something else I did last night that got the coach running nicely and that clinching the plate more tightly under the rivet was not necessary.

In answer to TEEWolf's question, there is nothing to see on the underside of the bogie. The post with the retaining "pip" at the top is moulded into the bogie.

Hope this is of help

Chris

Sorry I dropped the ball on this one.
On these coaches, actually , all you need is to insert a little screw driver between chassis and bogie, and twist .
Otherwise you have done exactly what was needed to correct the problem of the interfereing spring plate.
Happy Z-training!

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2019 00:21:18(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

Sorry I dropped the ball on this one.

Not at all - I now have a coach that runs well and I have learned two ways to remove the bogie as well as how to remove a coach roof! Everything is good!

Have a great weekend!

Chris