Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LoKoalaMotive  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2019 10:58:18(UTC)
LoKoalaMotive

Australia   
Hi,

I'm new here and need some information on the Marklin AC motors. Around a month ago, I acquired a few Locomotives that are all from 60s. A few are brand new BigGrin , and few are used, but two are ruined, with broken field magnets and even missing commutator segments Angry . I've fully serviced the used ones so that they run as new, but now have turned my attention to trying to resurrect the remaining 2 dead ones.
I'm at the point where I want to rewind the AC field magnet, and was wondering if anyone here knows how many turns of wire it has? The Marklin part number for the field magnet is 215330. Also, does anyone know the difference between the 215330 and 214010 field magnet in the 3031/3032? Thanks in advance.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2019 11:16:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: LoKoalaMotive Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I'm new here and need some information on the Marklin AC motors. Around a month ago, I acquired a few Locomotives that are all from 60s. A few are brand new BigGrin , and few are used, but two are ruined, with broken field magnets and even missing commutator segments Angry . I've fully serviced the used ones so that they run as new, but now have turned my attention to trying to resurrect the remaining 2 dead ones.
I'm at the point where I want to rewind the AC field magnet, and was wondering if anyone here knows how many turns of wire it has? The Marklin part number for the field magnet is 215330. Also, does anyone know the difference between the 215330 and 214010 field magnet in the 3031/3032? Thanks in advance.

Don't get too quick about rewinding them. I'm sure there will be a number of offers to supply magnets from where people have replaced them when upgrading a loco to digital. You will probably be offered armatures as well.

Offline LoKoalaMotive  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2019 11:32:08(UTC)
LoKoalaMotive

Australia   
Thanks for the prompt reply. Part of me wants to just get it running, another part would like to say "I did it" (like cookee_nz said almost 2 years ago). Even if I got it running, given that I have a dead field magnet, I'd probably still give it a try. When I unwound the broken field magnet, I got around 14 meters or 0.2mm enamelled wire. But as the forward and reverse coils have different resistances, I figured that they were wound on number of turns, not length of wire per direction.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LoKoalaMotive
Offline Johnvr  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2019 16:23:11(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello

I have done the rewinding of the coils.
It's quite interesting actually to try it out.

My suggestion is to put the magnet part on its side in a vice grip to keep it steady, and wind it up by going around that with the coil. I am hoping that when you un-wound the coil that you coiled it onto a gadget with a similar circumference, from where you can wind it back onto the magnet.

You may be slightly disappointed at the results. I could never achieve the tightness of the coil winding by hand which a machine does very quickly.
But you will have satisfied a curiosity.

RegardsBigGrin
John
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2019 23:41:39(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: LoKoalaMotive Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the prompt reply. Part of me wants to just get it running, another part would like to say "I did it" (like cookee_nz said almost 2 years ago). Even if I got it running, given that I have a dead field magnet, I'd probably still give it a try. When I unwound the broken field magnet, I got around 14 meters or 0.2mm enamelled wire. But as the forward and reverse coils have different resistances, I figured that they were wound on number of turns, not length of wire per direction.

Too bad you're so far away.
I have literally hundred of these in all the various sizes (from converting older locos to digital) that I could simply give you!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 29 November 2019 23:48:46(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Hello

I have done the rewinding of the coils.
It's quite interesting actually to try it out.

My suggestion is to put the magnet part on its side in a vice grip to keep it steady, and wind it up by going around that with the coil. I am hoping that when you un-wound the coil that you coiled it onto a gadget with a similar circumference, from where you can wind it back onto the magnet.

You may be slightly disappointed at the results. I could never achieve the tightness of the coil winding by hand which a machine does very quickly.
But you will have satisfied a curiosity.

RegardsBigGrin
John

There is a somewhat easier way to do it, but it require you prepare a jig to mount the armature on.
This needs to allow the armature to be mounted on a chuck (better on a lathe, but could work with some effort on a slow dril.
If you have some Meccano bits left around, this would be a nice project to build with it
I actually did that about 50 years ago...and rewound the armature of my 1951 RSM 800. She is still running today.
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline LoKoalaMotive  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2019 00:18:46(UTC)
LoKoalaMotive

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Too bad you're so far away.
I have literally hundred of these in all the various sizes (from converting older locos to digital) that I could simply give you!

Crying Too bad indeed. Just thinking of the number of upgrade kits sold, I'm sure there are HEAPS of parts available - just unreachable for me

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
I actually did that about 50 years ago...and rewound the armature of my 1951 RSM 800. She is still running today.

That's impressive - 50 years!!
Offline Alvaro Sousa  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2024 15:58:47(UTC)
Alvaro Sousa

Portugal   
Hello to all. I would like to know if someone here can help me about a BR 23 item 3005. I´m an oficial repair shop from Fleischmann/Roco and Sudexpress/Norbrass to all Portugal, but I also repair other brands. At this time I have this BR23 that has problems in the anker (rotor 20068) and in the brushes suport motorschield 20633 (the main bearing in the center is already to wide), so I tried near Marklin to ask them a replacement for those two items but until today no one from Marklin repaly to my emails. It´s strange, because normally they answewr me in a week, but three weeks are gone and... no answer. My client only runs Marklin analogic, so if someone here could help me all apreciated it very much.
Thank you for all your support and help.

Alvaro Sousa
Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 22 January 2024 16:58:56(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Alvaro,

Ask Flavio in Bologna, He is very helpful and quick to reply.

commerciale@modeltreno.com

Also his Ebay shop

https://www.ebay.co.uk/s...m47492.l74602&_tab=1

Good luck

Michael

Offline Alvaro Sousa  
#10 Posted : 22 January 2024 17:08:42(UTC)
Alvaro Sousa

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Alvaro,

Ask Flavio in Bologna, He is very helpful and quick to reply.

commerciale@modeltreno.com

Also his Ebay shop

https://www.ebay.co.uk/s...m47492.l74602&_tab=1

Good luck

Michael

Michael4 thank you very much for your help. I´ll try it.
Offline Bryan  
#11 Posted : 22 January 2024 21:08:33(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi Alvaro

The two parts you need from Marklin are no longer available, have not been for many years especially the motor shield.

Another place for spares is eBay.de, you will sure to find them there.

Be sure to get a rotor as new. The quality of the rotor is important, quality of the motor coils is not effected with running. It is the commutator quality which is effected with work. The wire brushes with the old SFCM wear them out. It's the comm switching electrically that is very important and deteriorates on the edges of the comm. They tend to wear to a round profile, loosing their sharpness and thus the correct switching for the motor to perform.

David
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Online Dave Banks  
#12 Posted : 25 January 2024 22:16:51(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
You don't need to go outside Australia to find what your looking for LoKoalaMotive. I have sent you an email & a PM. If you want what your looking for you know what you have to do:

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]
D.A.Banks
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline marklinist5999  
#13 Posted : 26 January 2024 00:46:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
That's some parts bin! I think even John from Perth (River 6019) would be impressed.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999