Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2019 13:32:16(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi all -

I have a hopefully quick question - is anyone else having problems connecting from a laptop/PC to the CS3 via VNC viewer or perhaps a browser window? I haven't used VNC in quite a while and more recently was doing a lot of renaming of items on the CS3 and remembered how much easier it was when doing it from the laptop. However, the connection is being refused. Before I spend more time figuring out if something in the router has changed, I'm wondering if a more recent CS3 update may have changed anything?

I should first verify with you how I'm connecting: from VNC, IP address:port number, which in my case is 129.6.168.180:5900. Connection is always refused. I've tried from Chrome and Firefox also. I use iTrain on my Mac laptop and it never has any issues connecting to the CS3, but it is using a different port.

When I had the VNC connection working previously, I had the CS3 connected to a little USB-to-wireless adapter; the CS3 then connected to my main router through this adapter and used DHCP to get its IP address.

Since then, I've moved the layout to the basement and I connect to a different router using an ethernet cable. All else works fine - iTrain connects, the CS3 updates itself, other devices connected to that router work properly, etc.

I am not 'enabling' the webserver on the CS3; I am assuming it still starts up when it boots. I cannot find any way to enable/disable it, however. I"m using version 1.4.1 on the CS3. I retried the update, but no luck.

I've tried changing the setting on the CS3 from DHCP to static IP, neither setting has any effect.

So, I'm coming to the conclusion that either something has changed on the CS3 or there is an issue with the router. Modifying the router setting is generally painful because I have a number of other items connected to it such as my wife's iPhone, to which she is wedded ;-). And, all the obvious settings are set at reasonable values.

Any help is always appreciated. Thank you, John

PS - entirely off-topic, but I used to be very unhappy with the CS3 when I first bought it. However, the updates have fixed a number of problems and right now, I find it very stable and working quite well and I am happy. However, the screen is small and even with a mouse it is tedious to do some things, so connecting via the laptop is preferable.
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2019 16:35:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Have you chercked that the firewall on your laptop isn't the [point at which the connection is being refused? This is quite possible due to a laptop update - which happens more frequently that cs3 updates ... BigGrin

Offline johnpatrickwack  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2019 00:24:26(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
That was a good suggestion but alas, it didn't change anything. But, I think you may have set me on the right path - it did work once and it should work again. I've been fooling with the router but am not seeing any issues there.

Just for my peace of mind, is there anything at all I should configure on the CS3 so that VNC viewer will connect? I can't find anything obvious so I'm assuming that the webserver is running and everything is as it should be. I did just install the latest update and verified that the webserver service is running and seems okay. So, I'm simply connecting via ip-address:5900.

Thanks, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2019 06:54:08(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Your description is a little in-concise.

While you talk about the WebServer , have you actually started the VNC server - they are not the same thing.

Refer to System (hover dropdown NOT click) ->"Bildschirm Server"
OR directly as http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/system/vnc/status
and press "Starting the CS3 screen Server"
The button will then turn Red - should you want to stop the sever manually
i.e.
Green means "Press here to Start" not "Current Status is started" ,
Red means "Press here to Stop" not "Current Status is stopped"
- go figure .....

By default, the VNC needs to be started each time you reboot the CS3.
However there is a setting that allows it to be set to autostart.

On the "Bildschrim Server" screen select "Configuration"
OR directly as http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/system/vnc/config
and then "Auto Start"
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2019 14:17:47(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Aha - thank you Peter this is exactly the info I needed!!!!!!!

Yes, I should have included VNC server when asking about the web server; they are not one and the same thing and my thinking wasn't sufficiently precise. On my CS3 I don't see any button or menu to start the VNC server, but I didn't realize (or remember) I had to connect directly to the web server and perform this function. I started the VNC server and all is very well in my world.

Regarding how to configure the CS3 to start the VNC server automatically, there isn't any method I can find directly on the CS3 itself nor through the web interface - when trying x.x.x.x/vnc/status or x.x.x.x/vnc/config, I get 'page not found'. I'm concluding we have different s/w versions or something else is different with my CS3's web server. I did just install the very latest update, 1.3.3 1, and the web server is version 2.0.0. I included a screenshot. For the heck of it, I tried different browsers and from a Mac and PC, but no differences.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 7.40.32 AM.png

However, I am just happy I could get the VNC server running from the web interface :-). Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers, John

PS - Regarding some earlier postings about needing or not needing to set the CS3 to use DHCP, either manual or DHCP works for me, there seems to be no difference.
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2019 14:29:57(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
I should have included this in my previous message:

Many months ago when I had the VNC server-viewer working correctly, I could not control the CS3 through the browser, it was necessary to use the VNC viewer. With this most recent update to the CS3 that I installed yesterday and when connecting to the CS3 via its IP address, I noticed a "Control" button on the far right of the main page - you can see that on the screen shot image I included. Clicking on that, I am able to completely control the CS3 directly from the browser. I may be wrong but I don't recall this being available before. Thus, I conclude, VNC viewer is not needed. Apologies if this is already widely known and I am just discovering it.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 21 November 2019 01:18:11(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Yes, you have an old version of firmware on your CS3

No, the Control (Web App for operating a CS3) does not total supplant the VNC capability
Peter
Offline WilliamA  
#8 Posted : 28 November 2019 18:10:12(UTC)
WilliamA

United Kingdom   
I’ve recently updated my CS3 software from 1.3.2.1 to 1.4.1.0. The result was my iPhone Marklin mobile station app stopped working. I phoned Marklin and they said the update does not support the Iphone app any more. (no warning!!!).
I tried using Safari on my Iphone to connect to the CS3 but get an error “CS3 Webserver Fehler”
I’ve had to buy an Android phone and installed CS2 and CS3 apps from MJW software. The CS2 version works fine on my CS2 but the CS3 won’t work. The Iphone app still works with the CS2.
I’ve emailed Marklin asking them to sort it out.
An unhappy CS3 user!