Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#1 Posted : 27 June 2019 21:49:52(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I'm trying to put together a WW II military train set similar to 26606 but with Tiger I and II tanks. I have some ideas what the flat cars would be. Artitec has a good selection of that. But I can't decide on the steam lok. It will have to be Era 2 heavy steam lok. I will stay with Marklin. Any idea which lok will fit in the train set? Thanks.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#2 Posted : 27 June 2019 21:58:12(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: MKOpSeattle Go to Quoted Post
I'm trying to put together a WW II military train set similar to 26606 but with Tiger I and II tanks. I have some ideas what the flat cars would be. Artitec has a good selection of that. But I can't decide on the steam lok. It will have to be Era 2 heavy steam lok. I will stay with Marklin. Any idea which lok will fit in the train set? Thanks.

When I had a scale model shop, I had a WWII German RB loco in the window in 1:35th scale along with some wagons and flak guns. It was a BR52 - they were special wartime build locos where the Germans tried to reduce the amount of metal etc. that went into the build. You might have to search for a Marklin one. though.

David
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 27 June 2019 22:28:14(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Br44 or the Br42 would seem the logical choice. A br52 could work too
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Marcelo Bernacchi  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2019 01:14:06(UTC)
Marcelo Bernacchi

Portugal   
the wwII is a very interesting theme.
I am searching for items that could have been transported to US by the end of the war.

that's the first result , but the train needs some paint yet

regards,
Marcelo Bernacchi

6b4564ad-f1f3-44fa-99d0-b90548400bdc.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Marcelo Bernacchi
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2019 01:14:50(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
Try
37453 BR45 2-10-2
37816 BR50
39044 BR42 wartime build
39047 BR42 wartime build
39960 BR96 articulated

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2019 02:18:38(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Those are great locos indeed, cant wait for 39047
You can also make a winter theme with BR 53 in winter camp.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2019 08:40:46(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Thank you for all the suggestions. Now the difficulty is to decide which one to get.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MKOpSeattle
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 28 June 2019 09:15:55(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Thank you for all the suggestions. Now the difficulty is to decide which one to get.

you may have to get more than one because most of them had been bombed during WWII.BigGrin

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 28 June 2019 09:38:14(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
You will need "transport-prepared" tanks, as the Panzer V and VI where too wide for rail transport. (They had to remove the outer road-wheels and skirts, and change to narrower tracks)
This would physically alter their aspect, so you have to get models in that state, or if they are kits, you have to assemble them in that state.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Br502362  
#10 Posted : 28 June 2019 10:34:07(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
You will need "transport-prepared" tanks, as the Panzer V and VI where too wide for rail transport. (They had to remove the outer road-wheels and skirts, and change to narrower tracks)
This would physically alter their aspect, so you have to get models in that state, or if they are kits, you have to assemble them in that state.

Only Panzer VI Tiger I and Tiger II had to remove outer road wheels and had to use transport tracks.
Panzer V Panther is narrower and fits to flat cars like Märklin 4867 Ssym 46.

Cheers

Åke

Edited by user 01 July 2019 07:58:45(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Dave Banks  
#11 Posted : 30 June 2019 01:46:15(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hey Guys, this is the only military train on my layout. BR42.90 or BR44 #37881 used to haul the
WW2 Artitec lowbed wagons & WW2 AXIS equipment.

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/FUjozaD.mp4[/img][/img]
D.A.Banks
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 30 June 2019 04:37:33(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
An old video featuring BR 45 ( Borsig edition) and BR 53 in winter camo, along with several brands of coaches and tanks, some are scratchbuild. Since then I have got plenty of new material but have not putted to run yet
Regards

UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#13 Posted : 30 June 2019 07:30:27(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
Hey Guys, this is the only military train on my layout. BR42.90 or BR44 #37881 used to haul the
WW2 Artitec lowbed wagons & WW2 AXIS equipment.

This is exactly what I'd like to put together. Right now I'm leaning towards 39047 with camouflage paint.
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#14 Posted : 13 November 2019 03:31:08(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
39407 is available now. It costs 499 Euros at Marklin Stores. It is very beautiful. Besides the collector display case, a certificate of authenticity and camouflage paint scheme, I can't tell the difference between it and 39044. The cost difference is about 90 Euros (499 vs 404). For me, it seems a lot for those. Can anyone tell me what did I miss between those two loks? Thanks.

T
Offline danmarklinman  
#15 Posted : 13 November 2019 19:46:38(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

Just to wet your whistle so to speak:-)
Here’s a link to inspire you?
https://www.google.co.uk...438#imgrc=sw1ZXy3Ny7QNKM
but I believe it was shot up by fighter bombers as the already damaged tanks were being withdrawn for repairs.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#16 Posted : 15 November 2019 07:25:04(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Just to wet your whistle so to speak:-)
Here’s a link to inspire you?
https://www.google.co.uk...438#imgrc=sw1ZXy3Ny7QNKM
but I believe it was shot up by fighter bombers as the already damaged tanks were being withdrawn for repairs.

Thank you.

Very nice pictures of Tiger 1's and King Tigers on flat cars.

Offline GlennM  
#17 Posted : 15 November 2019 19:44:33(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

A good choice would be the BR52 for which you can buy a light armouring kit to add to the boiler of the loco. The kit is made along with a whole host of other WWII themed products by Artmaster Models https://www.das-kantoor.de/

Here are a couple of pictures of their product line and the armour on a BR52 taken at Nuremberg Trade Fair in 2016 (photos taken through glass so they are not brilliant)

br52 wide.jpg

br52.jpg

Dutch model maker Artitec is also a good source of models - http://www.artitec.nl

Finally not Marklin but maybe worth a look are the WWII military trains made by REI models (available from Reynaulds) but sadly most of the heavily armoured locos are DC - https://www.reynaulds.com/catalog/dept_786.aspx

The full selection of Reynaulds WWII stock can be found here

Would be interested to see some pictures of your finished train
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#18 Posted : 16 November 2019 06:56:18(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

Thank you Glenn for the information. Right now I only have one Tiger 1, one Panzer IV and a Sd. Kfz 251. I also picked up a 4866 from Michas Bahnhof in Berlin. I like the looks of 39047 but can't justify spending extra 90 Euros for cosmetic stuffs as compared to 39044. I'm still waiting for Artitec to restock their flat cars.

T
Offline GlennM  
#19 Posted : 17 November 2019 14:25:54(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

Thank you Glenn for the information. Right now I only have one Tiger 1, one Panzer IV and a Sd. Kfz 251. I also picked up a 4866 from Michas Bahnhof in Berlin. I like the looks of 39047 but can't justify spending extra 90 Euros for cosmetic stuffs as compared to 39044. I'm still waiting for Artitec to restock their flat cars.

T

Well that is a good start. I have seen the 39047 and it is nice but I am not totally convinced by the camouflage, and I prefer the winter camouflage that the BR53 Märklin item 37024 came finished with.

A second option would be to buy a second hand analog loco and upgrade it to digital and camouflage it yourself (or maybe find a suitable third party to do it for you) this may offer a nice saving which you could spend on more 4866 wagons or more tanks for the train.

One thing I have found with my train is that the vibrations from running can cause the tanks to move on the bed of the 4866 and so IMHO opinion they cannot simply be placed on the beds they need to be secured in someway.

Finally, I forgot to add in my previous post the offerings from Roco in their Mini Tanks range, there are some very nice models, I know it is not Märklin, but the items I have run well on C-track and I have no issues. ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline danmarklinman  
#20 Posted : 17 November 2019 14:57:52(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

T

Well that is a good start. I have seen the 39047 and it is nice but I am not totally convinced by the camouflage, and I prefer the winter camouflage that the BR53 Märklin item 37024 came finished with.

A second option would be to buy a second hand analog loco and upgrade it to digital and camouflage it yourself (or maybe find a suitable third party to do it for you) this may offer a nice saving which you could spend on more 4866 wagons or more tanks for the train.

One thing I have found with my train is that the vibrations from running can cause the tanks to move on the bed of the 4866 and so IMHO opinion they cannot simply be placed on the beds they need to be secured in someway.

Finally, I forgot to add in my previous post the offerings from Roco in their Mini Tanks range, there are some very nice models, I know it is not Märklin, but the items I have run well on C-track and I have no issues. ThumpUp ThumpUp

Plastic vehicle loads always move a bit, especially autos, I’m waiting to make a modern British army train. So far only the Boxer, the British Army’s new 8 wheel fast support vehicle already made in metal by Schuco for the German army. I could also use the MAN trucks as well. But I will weight for these to be made with the correct British camouflage.
Maybe Schuco will make some WW2 tanks, perhaps tiger 1s with transport tracks? For yourselfBigGrin
Thanks for the links Glenn👍
https://www.schuco.de/en...ouflaged-1-87-452623900/
https://www.google.co.uk...r=2#imgrc=eCglHwMNUMkP8M
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline GlennM  
#21 Posted : 17 November 2019 15:20:18(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

Plastic vehicle loads always move a bit, especially autos, I’m waiting to make a modern British army train. So far only the Boxer, the British Army’s new 8 wheel fast support vehicle already made in metal by Schuco for the German army. I could also use the MAN trucks as well. But I will weight for these to be made with the correct British camouflage.
Maybe Schuco will make some WW2 tanks, perhaps tiger 1s with transport tracks? For yourselfBigGrin

Dan,

Yes the plastic ones move a lot, but I have also found the die cast metal ones that came as part of the M4FOR series by Märklin also move as well BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks for the Schuco links ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline danmarklinman  
#22 Posted : 17 November 2019 17:09:01(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

Dan,

Yes the plastic ones move a lot, but I have also found the die cast metal ones that came as part of the M4FOR series by Märklin also move as well BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks for the Schuco links ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

That’s interesting 🧐 proper tie downs then:-)? I’m thinking of attaching my cars on the car train by this method. Mini chains ⛓
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline Dave Banks  
#23 Posted : 17 November 2019 21:01:17(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I think this BR52 has been camouflaged very nicely:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
D.A.Banks
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#24 Posted : 17 November 2019 22:19:54(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Very beautiful paint job.

That’s interesting 🧐 proper tie downs then:-)? I’m thinking of attaching my cars on the car train by this method. Mini chains ⛓

When I was at the MarklinTage back in September, I talked to an Artitec salesperson about this and he showed me a set of chains and hooks, Article number: 387.349. I bought three packs and each pack can be used on two vehicles.

The blocks that came with the Marklin Flat car + 2A6 Leopard Tank work really well. The tanks are Schuco metal tank and heavier. I also run my train at slow speed. I think resin tank will need to be tied down. The chains make it look more realistic.

Offline Dave Banks  
#25 Posted : 18 November 2019 02:10:55(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

As you can see from my earlier pictures I have only one military train that has WW2 Axis low-bed wagons & tanks, personnel carriers, half tracks & all are from Artitec. Their detail & quality are just exceptional in my eyes. I have just got to fix the load to the wagons & all would be good. My friend has that detailed BR52 in Cleveland Australia. It is admittedly a delta loco but I wouldn't mine getting my hands on it RollEyes. I am going to look into the chains you mention for securing the tanks ETC.
D.A.Banks
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#26 Posted : 18 November 2019 06:18:33(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I talked to an Artitec salesperson about this and he showed me a set of chains and hooks, Article number: 387.349.

Correction: the Article number is 387:300 Chains and wedges Military Transport.
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#27 Posted : 28 March 2020 17:07:00(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   

Just found this nice article with pics and drawings (in spanish though but google translator will do the job). Hope it helps!

https://www.lasegundague...com/viewtopic.php?t=9461

Regards
Carlos
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
Offline Jabez  
#28 Posted : 29 March 2020 16:11:27(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline SteamNut  
#29 Posted : 29 March 2020 18:20:01(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I have used Woodland Scenics A196 glue to glue items , such as my people. The advantage is that items can be removed without damage. It has worked well to glue my military items to flat cars and chains, blocks, can be added later.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#30 Posted : 08 November 2022 22:14:19(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

Hallo Dreileiters,
Actually Artitec of Holland make nice 1/87 model of Tiger I tank in transport state ( with road wheels and tracks removed ) catalog number 342-6870401)
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#31 Posted : 08 November 2022 22:32:24(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Dreileiters,
Please find below scan of above mentioned Artitec Tiger I tank in 1/87 ( Erly Panzerkampfwagen V Field-Gray camouflage & transit configuration with narrow tracks and outer wheels removed)
UserPostedImage
Hope that will help you a bit and ease pain of sanding down Roco H0 Tigers… 🤪
P.S this is early version ( No Zimmerit ) first batch produced late 1942 ( deployed to Leningrad Front UdSSR ) up to mid 1943
Yellow version also available ( from mid 1943 on ) from Artitec in Netherlands.
Cheers
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#32 Posted : 08 November 2022 22:51:46(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Again,
Please keep in mind that for each Tiger 55 ton tank DRG must provide 6 axle heavy duty flat platform wagons SSym Köln type ( Märklin catalog 4866 ) picture below- crew is getting ready to remove tracks and outside wheels)
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline Br502362  
#33 Posted : 09 November 2022 08:00:17(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Marklineisenbahn Go to Quoted Post
Hallo Again,
Please keep in mind that for each Tiger 55 ton tank DRG must provide 6 axle heavy duty flat platform wagons SSym Köln type ( Märklin catalog 4866 ) picture below- crew is getting ready to remove tracks and outside wheels)
UserPostedImage

Hi,

Battle tracks were changed to transport tracks on the ground. It is impossible to change them on the relatively short flatcar.
Also side mudguards were removed and front & rear mudguard flaps were positioned upwards. If there weren't any narrow spots on the voyage tracks weren't changed.

In this photo a Tiger tank is pulling combat tracks of the flatcar.

T1.PNG

Cheers
Åke

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline jimstraba  
#34 Posted : 28 December 2022 08:15:26(UTC)
jimstraba

United States   
Wow thanks for photos! Where you find WW2 DR RR photos?
Offline Br502362  
#35 Posted : 28 December 2022 08:25:47(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: jimstraba Go to Quoted Post
Wow thanks for photos! Where you find WW2 DR RR photos?

https://images.google.com/ and search words "tiger tank transport tracks".

Cheers
Åke

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#36 Posted : 28 December 2022 21:12:38(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Dreileiters,
Here is my version of Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger I
Early version 1942 on DRG Flat car SSymS Köln 46
UserPostedImage

Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline Br502362  
#37 Posted : 29 December 2022 07:25:30(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Marklineisenbahn Go to Quoted Post
Hallo Dreileiters,
Here is my version of Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger I
Early version 1942 on DRG Flat car SSymS Köln 46

Regards,
Märklineisenbahn

Hi Jerry,

Your Tiger is actually a mid production version as it doesn't have Feiffel air filters
and it has the new commanders cupola. The new turret design with new cupola was introduced in july 1943.
Grey base coat was changed to tan (dunkel gelb) in febryary 1943.

Nice model ThumpUp

Cheers
Åke

Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#38 Posted : 07 February 2023 00:17:51(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I bought my first Artitec items, two tigers 1 transport packages, and i must way I`m impressed by the quality of the models. They are absolutely beautiful. I want to build an entire ww2 german transport train now. Luckly my BR 44 fits very good with them. Two question two, for people who are familiar with Artitec models. The open hatches of other models are not moveable, right ? I would prefer them closed for railway transportation. And second, anyone have any idea what this white line is ? It`s some sort of glue ? It`s on every bottom of the item that need to be fixed to the wagon. I didn`t fixed the chains that come with the set yet. I have to figure them out.
IMG_20230206_184858.jpgIMG_20230206_184931.jpgIMG_20230207_010048.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by tabacaru.mvlad
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#39 Posted : 07 February 2023 01:11:53(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I`ve put them with the correct positions of the stoppers now. I thought it more, and I thing it`s the glue from the factory, they put the item on a workbench, glue it and then paint and weather it. Am i right ?
IMG_20230207_020808.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by tabacaru.mvlad
Offline applor  
#40 Posted : 08 February 2023 23:54:24(UTC)
applor

Australia   
It looks like Liliput are doing some H0 WWII trains this year, BR42 and military passenger and freight wagons in camo:

https://www.elriwa.de/Ne...iput/Neuheit-23/Spur-H0/

Liliput 336602 - Truppentransportwagen 72 081, 3. Klasse, Ep.II, Tarnanstrich, Personenwagen 3. Klasse, u

Liliput 336601 - Truppentransportwagen 16 342, 3. Klasse, Ep.II, Tarnanstrich, Personenwagen 3. Klasse

Liliput 336600 - Personenwagen, Offizierswagen, 1./2. Klasse, DRG, Ep.II, Tarnanstrich, Personenwagen (Schürzenwagen) 1. / 2. Klasse

Liliput 230173 - 2er Set Schwerlastwagen Ssyms mit 2 Panzern, DRG, Ep.II

Liliput 130002 - Zugset mit BR 42 und Truppentransport, DRG, Ep.II, 4-teiliges Zug-Set „Truppen-Transport“ der DRB

Liliput 235284 - Flachwagen Omm mit 4 Torpedos, DRG, Ep.II, Flachwagen, Bauart Omm (Linz) der DRB, beladen mit 4 Torpedos,

Liliput 235283 - Geschlossener Wagen G mit Tarnanstrich, DRG, Ep.II, Geschlossener Wagen, Bauart Grhs (Oppeln) der DRB

Liliput 235282 - Offener Wagen Omm mit Tarnanstrich, DRG, Ep.II, Offener Wagen, Bauart Omm (Linz) der DRB, mit Tarnanstrich

Liliput 235281 - Offener Wagen Ommru mit Tarnanstrich, DRG, Ep.II, Offener Wagen, Bauart Ommru (Villach) der DRB, mit Bremserhaus, mit Tarnanstrich

Liliput 235280 - Offener Wagen Ommru mit Tarnanstrich, DRG, Ep.II, Offener Wagen, Bauart Ommru (Villach) der DRB, ohne Bremserhaus, mit Tarnanstrich

Liliput 230170 - 2er Set Schwerlastwagen mit Kisten, DRG, Ep.II, 2-teiliges Set, 6-achsige Schwerlast-Transportwagen der DRB, beladen mit Transport-Kisten in Tarnanstrich

Liliput 131504 - Dampflok 42 547, Allied Forces – British, Ep.II, Güterzug-Dampfl okomotive mit Schlepptender, Baureihe 42 („Kriegslokomotive“), Betriebs-Nr. 42 547, mit Aufschriften „Allied Forces – British“
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#41 Posted : 09 May 2023 13:32:20(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I bought few more tanks form Artitec, and the hatches are molded as opened. Anyway they are looking awesome, don`t mind it at all. IMG_20230509_143421.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by tabacaru.mvlad