Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhNOR  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2019 16:11:44(UTC)
rhNOR

Hi,

I purchased the Märklin 46934 "Military Transport" Low Side Car Set that just became available.
The set consists of four M113 APCs, one truck and one jeep.

My question is, how do I prevent the cargo from rolling back and forth?
The set did come with a few parts that you can attach and also with instructions on where they go. Each car also came with four black metal thingies (without instructions) that I guess is meant to prevent the cargo from rolling but I haven't quite figured out how they are supposed to be fitted.

I've added two pictures with two of said metal thingies in the front in one of the pictures. Anyone have any tips on how this is supposed to work?

20191003_200522.jpg20191003_200532.jpg

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhNOR
Offline rhfil  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2019 21:41:14(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
The metal things are chocks which go behind and in front of any wheel to hold the vehicle in place on the flatbed. I recently bought a set which included a truck and a flatbed and it had two of those and I finally saw the same set online with the chocks in place. Would have been nice if Marklin had included a picture with them in place.
Offline rhNOR  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2019 15:26:45(UTC)
rhNOR

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
The metal things are chocks which go behind and in front of any wheel to hold the vehicle in place on the flatbed. I recently bought a set which included a truck and a flatbed and it had two of those and I finally saw the same set online with the chocks in place. Would have been nice if Marklin had included a picture with them in place.

Thanks for your reply!

So something like this then?
20191006_133820.jpg

For some reason I thought the chocks were supposed to be 90 degress from what they are on the picture and the center metal stud was meant to attach to the flat bed in some way.RollEyes

Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2019 17:26:40(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
The chock to the right in your picture is the only one I have and the way it is sitting in the picture is the way I think it is supposed to sit on the flatbed. That way the small leg hits the groove in the flatbed and keeps it from moving. I put the larger section against the wheel and the small leg away from the wheel. Not sure about the metal piece on the left. Does it still slide around the way you installed it? If not I would try installing it so that it makes a triangle on the flatbed, if possible, the same way the other chock sits in your picture.
Offline rhNOR  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2019 20:24:32(UTC)
rhNOR

Well after learning that it was called chocks (not metal thingies Smile ), it was easier to google. I found some sets with similar chocks and also some youtube videos with the same sets running and there was no visible chocks. I also found some pictures of chocks that looked more prototypical so my guess is that the ones that I have are not meant to be very visible.

So far it doesn't seem to slide around so I think I'm going to keep it like this.
My only issue is that it seems to be pushing out the walls of the flatbed a little. That can be fixed with adjusting the "wings" of the chocks but it also means that the tension is high enough so it doesn't move around.
20191006_200432.jpg
20191006_200725.jpg

Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2019 22:24:16(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Those chocks do push the walls out so refused to used them. Instead, I used 2 small lumps of Bluetack under each vehicle. That stops them sliding around and you cant see it easily if you put it in the right place,. My feeling is if the sides of the wagons are distorted, then they are reduced in value.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#7 Posted : 06 October 2019 22:39:35(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Hi, good man, you have correctly installed the "chocks" on the low sided wagon.

You can play around with the Mil trucks, and see if you place them right over the upright pin so that it may prevent any movement of the truck. Then you will be using only one chock per truck and the wheels will stand the loading surface of the wagon and not on the angled surface of the chock.

But for me, more importantly is the bulging of the side wall of the wagon. Leaving the chocks in position for a long time you will find that the wagon wall stays distorted. That I do not like at all.
So I bend the chock's dual pins more inward and then I use a very small amount of putty/press stick to hold it in position on the wagon's loading area. No damage at all.

Make sure you store the "redundant" chock in the original box. Many just get lost and are irreplaceable or dam right expensive to locate and replace.
Hope this other "angle of attack" may help you.

Thanks, HANNES

Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 07 October 2019 14:32:00(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
If you look closely at the fronts and backs of the vehicles on this link I believe you can see the pegs sticking up which would indicate that the correct location of the chocks is in fact lying down on the flatbed. However I would still try, out of curiosity, setting them so that they make a triangle to see if that allows them to still work while not bending out the sides of the flatbed. https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/46934/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 08 October 2019 21:31:31(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Those chocks do push the walls out so refused to used them. Instead, I used 2 small lumps of Bluetack under each vehicle. That stops them sliding around and you cant see it easily if you put it in the right place,. My feeling is if the sides of the wagons are distorted, then they are reduced in value.
Dereck

With a good pair of pliers can you not bend in the angled ends a fraction of a mm to reduce/eliminate the pressure on the wagon side walls?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline rhNOR  
#10 Posted : 10 October 2019 23:01:23(UTC)
rhNOR

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

With a good pair of pliers can you not bend in the angled ends a fraction of a mm to reduce/eliminate the pressure on the wagon side walls?

This is what I ended up doing. Took a couple of tries to get it right, it was either to much pressure or to little but it is possible. The M113's doesn't have any wheels that will make them roll back and forth so I'm not going to use the chocks on them.