Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rohit279  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2019 07:26:22(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Hi friends !

BACKGROUND

I recently bought a used digital steam engine ( MARKLIN 3607 / Wurtt T 18 ) over eBay. Seller claimed the unit in perfect working condition. Manual shows loco address as 19. I have a digital setup with a MARKLIN MOBILE STATION 60657 which came along one of the stater sets.

MY PROBLEM

1)The loco does not registers on the mobile station.
2) The loco starts running on the track ( full speed ) the moment I place it on the track. The only way to stop it running is when I press STOP function on the mobile station. All this while, the mobile station display reads 'NO LOCO'

Can someone help to identify and resolve this problem ?

Thanks / Regards

Rohit
Offline amartinezv  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2019 08:02:35(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

The behavior of your locomotive is normal, no problem.

1º the locomotive is not registered automatically because the decoder it carries is not mfx, the locomotive was built before the mfx system was invented.

2º the locomotive runs at full speed because it is configured as analog, all dip-switches off.

So what you have to do is:

1º open the locomotive and in the dip-switches (mouse piano) configure the digital address you want for example 19

2º open the MS database and look for the locomotive 3607 or another similar one and edit it to put the digital address that you have configured in the locomotive.

And that's it, the locomotive will work perfectly.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline Rohit279  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2019 09:28:09(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Hi !

At the outset .. many thanks for quick response ! As suggested I did the following :-

1) Open the locomotive and located the decoder.
2) As per the manual, the address 19 has to be configured with SWITCHES 2, 3 & 7 on ON position ... so I did the same.
3) Located the locomotive on MS database ... ( shows as 3607 WU T 18 ) and selected the same.

RESULT
Loco does not responds.... no movement al all

I again go through the option of 'FIND LOCO' .... the MS goes through the notion of searching fist MMX and MM2.... the locomotive starts running again freely without me having any control .... at the end MS prompts NO LOCO

If this helps ... the loco is fitted with a MARKLIN C80 DECODER !

Regards...

Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post
Hello

The behavior of your locomotive is normal, no problem.

1º the locomotive is not registered automatically because the decoder it carries is not mfx, the locomotive was built before the mfx system was invented.

2º the locomotive runs at full speed because it is configured as analog, all dip-switches off.

So what you have to do is:

1º open the locomotive and in the dip-switches (mouse piano) configure the digital address you want for example 19

2º open the MS database and look for the locomotive 3607 or another similar one and edit it to put the digital address that you have configured in the locomotive.

And that's it, the locomotive will work perfectly.

Best regards
Offline amartinezv  
#4 Posted : 25 August 2019 11:17:50(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello,

Yes, the 3607 locomotive carries a C80 decoder, and according to marklin's documentation it leaves the factory with address 19.
I think you could check that in your MS to that locomotive corresponds the address 19. You would do this by selecting that locomotive and seeing the configuration through the Edit option. Which is surely right and correct.

Another thing to check is the connection of the red and brown wires in the track, the red wire must go to the connection B (bahn=train) that corresponds to the pukos or central conductor. The brown cable must go to the connection 0 that corresponds to the rails, if these cables are exchanged the decoder does not recognize the commands.

If all this is well, the best thing would be to try the locomotive in another installation, and if it did not work the most probable thing is that the decoder is damaged, but more I believe that it is the one of the interchanged cables.

Best regards

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Antonio Martínez
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 25 August 2019 16:16:35(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Rohit279 Go to Quoted Post
Hi friends !

BACKGROUND

I recently bought a used digital steam engine ( MARKLIN 3607 / Wurtt T 18 ) over eBay. Seller claimed the unit in perfect working condition. Manual shows loco address as 19. I have a digital setup with a MARKLIN MOBILE STATION 60657 which came along one of the stater sets.

MY PROBLEM

1)The loco does not registers on the mobile station.
2) The loco starts running on the track ( full speed ) the moment I place it on the track. The only way to stop it running is when I press STOP function on the mobile station. All this while, the mobile station display reads 'NO LOCO'

Can someone help to identify and resolve this problem ?

Thanks / Regards

Rohit

Do not worry. I do have the same problem with a digital loco set to analogue. I bought it at eBay from a NON-Maerklin dealer. It comes without any description, no box, just the loco wrapped into plastics. But the loco was cheap (56 €) and has a colour I was looking for a longer time and I wanted to have.

@amartinezv has written the solution in in an excellent way.

I started to do it in the same way, but there I do know nothing about any digital address of this loco, i have to search it. Step by step from number 1 onwards. But after a short while I stopped it, because I decided to remove this c80 decoder and will build in a brand new msD/3 decoder. That is then the decoder with the ability for an automatic registration at your Maerklin controller. Beside you get a lot of more functions, which the c80 never has by its outstripped technique.

P.S.: BTW do you have only a MS 2 or a CS 3 as well?

With a CS 3 you get it running by a direct steering. You insert a not used digital address and than the loco shall running named by this digital address. Also please be aware that the database inside a MS 2 is limited mainly to old locos, which have no mfx and not too old decoders. Similar with the search function. So do not trust them at all. If these help sources are not working, you must do it manually or change the decoder. But then you also shall have a look on to the motor before too.
Offline Rohit279  
#6 Posted : 25 August 2019 21:18:21(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Yes, the 3607 locomotive carries a C80 decoder, and according to marklin's documentation it leaves the factory with address 19.
I think you could check that in your MS to that locomotive corresponds the address 19. You would do this by selecting that locomotive and seeing the configuration through the Edit option. Which is surely right and correct.

Another thing to check is the connection of the red and brown wires in the track, the red wire must go to the connection B (bahn=train) that corresponds to the pukos or central conductor. The brown cable must go to the connection 0 that corresponds to the rails, if these cables are exchanged the decoder does not recognize the commands.

If all this is well, the best thing would be to try the locomotive in another installation, and if it did not work the most probable thing is that the decoder is damaged, but more I believe that it is the one of the interchanged cables.

Best regards

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Hi !

I checked the wiring on the track and confirm that it is the same as suggested... Red wire in connection 'B' and brown in connection'O'. Bahrain is unfortunately a small place and I doubt very much if I can find another installation to try the loco on . The seller through confirmed to me that the loco was working fine on his installation.

Meanwhile, I opened up the loco and found the decoder. I set the dip switches to 1,3 & 7 ( ON ) which corresponds the address 19 as stated in the manual. However, the result is the same. I am coming of the view that the decoder itself may be faulty. I checked the connections / soldering etc. but am finding that to be fine...
43c850d2-14ca-4889-b73f-c76d87b9754d.JPG
Offline amartinezv  
#7 Posted : 25 August 2019 21:52:08(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

On rare occasions it can happen that dip-switches make bad contact, you could try to move them all from on-off-on several times, or even put another address, (although in this case you should also change the address of the locomotive in the MS database).

And the last option is to change the decoder.

I'm sorry I can't help you anymore.

best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 25 August 2019 21:52:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Meanwhile, I opened up the loco and found the decoder. I set the dip switches to 1,3 & 7 ( ON ) which corresponds the address 19 as stated in the manual. However, the result is the same. I am coming of the view that the decoder itself may be faulty. I checked the connections / soldering etc. but am finding that to be fine...
43c850d2-14ca-4889-b73f-c76d87b9754d.JPG

Hmm, are you sure that is the 'on' direction? What happens of you switch ALL the switches to the opposite side and try address 19 again?
Offline Rwill  
#9 Posted : 26 August 2019 09:59:56(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
You have contradicted yourself in the switch settings and the photograph. Adress 19 should be switches 2,3 and 7 on
Offline amartinezv  
#10 Posted : 26 August 2019 10:20:26(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
You have contradicted yourself in the switch settings and the photograph. Adress 19 should be switches 2,3 and 7 on

Yes it is true address 19 is switches 2, 3 & 7 to on. (and you have 1 to on instead of 2)

Best regards and thanks @Rwill
Antonio Martínez
Offline Rohit279  
#11 Posted : 26 August 2019 15:41:53(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Hi Guys !

Actually, I posted the wrong photo which is for address 18. I earlier tried address 19 ( 2,3 & 7 ). Since, this did not work, I tried to use address 18 as well. The loco just runs the same without me having any control.....

I subsequently tried the 'FIND LOCO' option on my MS. I was careful to put only the present loco on the track. The MS starts searching for MFX and then MM2. All the time, the loco keeps running on the track. At one time ( and only one time this morning ) my MS recognized this as an 'MM2-18' and I saw the loco headlight tuning on.... for a few seconds and then it was gone .....

Unfortunately the country i live is does not have a hobby store where i could take this unit for a check up. In all probability, the decoder is at fault. does anyone know how much will it cost to have this replaced ?

Also just to correct myself ... the loco is fitted with a 6080 decoder.

Regards,

Rohit
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 26 August 2019 16:10:53(UTC)
H0

Also just to correct myself ... the loco is fitted with a 6080 decoder.
It is a 6080 decoder AKA c80 decoder.

How are your soldering skills?
Simple decoders for a replacement start around €25. With a motor upgrade and a better decoder you can easily reach the 40 to 60 Euro range. Add postage and labour if you let someone do the conversion for you ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#13 Posted : 26 August 2019 18:47:19(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Perhaps de deco is faulty, recently i had an "epidemic" of dying c80's wich were previouly working.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Rohit279  
#14 Posted : 26 August 2019 19:39:26(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Guys ! Some good news at last !!!!BigGrin I managed to finally register the loco on the MS and it has now started to obey ! Love Love

WHAT I DID

1) I read somewhere on the forum that at times changing the track piece is a good idea. So I interchanged the track from my layout and re connected the wiring.
2) Activated the 'FIND LOCO' option on the MS .... the loco registered itself as an 'MM2-18' ... I am now able to control it through my MS
3) The dip switches are set at 1,3 & 7 which means the address is 18 which corresponds to LOCO 3609 as per the manual.

WHAT IS STILL NOT WORKING

1)Once I switch off the power completely and turn it back on, the LOCO disappears from the MS. I once again need to go to the option of 'FIND LOCO' and it registers itself again. Tried repeating this process 2 -3 time and its the same every time I do it. I have no clue as to why this happens. It is still a faulty decoder playing its tricks ?Blink

2)The loco is actually working at address 18 ( 1,3 & 7 ) instead of address 19 ( 2, 3 & 7 ) which it is supposed to be as per the manual.

3) The loco registers itself as 'MM2-18'.... Really do not know what is this supposed to mean.

f462550d-ffca-4abc-b9ee-0b5d754458ae.JPG2f1baedb-9bac-4cb0-8cb8-3e9f0b4acfbd.jpgIMG_4892.jpgIMG_4909 2.jpg

Edited by user 27 August 2019 07:53:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 26 August 2019 23:47:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

WHAT IS STILL NOT WORKING

1)Once I switch off the power completely and turn it back on, the LOCO disappears from the MS. I once again need to go to the option of 'FIND LOCO' and it registers itself again. Tried repeating this process 2 -3 time and its the same every time I do it. I have no clue as to why this happens. It is still a faulty decoder playing its tricks ?Blink

So what happens if you search the database for either a 3607 or 3609 (depending which address you have the switches set to) and select that as the loco, instead of using the 'find loco' function?
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 27 August 2019 05:09:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
MM2-18 means that this is the second MM (Maerklin-Motorola) locomotive registered and this one has the address 18.
I do not know if the MS/CS will detect a classic decoder. I know that it will identify ESU type plug and play decoders, but it may not ID older 6090/6080 with dip switches.
You may have to manually enter a lok with MM (Motorola) address and that will then allow you to control the lok. You can then save that info to a lok card for future reference.
You may be able to find the lok in the database, but I have not checked if it includes ALL Maerklin models or just the ESU/FX/MFX ones.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Rohit279  
#17 Posted : 27 August 2019 09:31:10(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Thanks Mike .... the way I understand, my MS ( Mobile Station 60657) recognizes MfX, MM2 and DCC decoders.

Reagrds,

Rohit
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 27 August 2019 11:01:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
MM2-18 means that this is the second MM (Maerklin-Motorola) locomotive registered and this one has the address 18.
I could be wrong, but I think "MM2" stands for the MM2 protocol while 18 is just the address.
The MS2 will typically append "(1)" or "(2)" and so forth to avoid duplicate names.

And theoretically the MS2 can find locos with any MM decoder, including the 6080 and 6090 decoders. Practically it fails if F0 is unused or draws very little current, e.g. locos with LEDs instead of light bulbs.

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
You may be able to find the lok in the database, but I have not checked if it includes ALL Maerklin models or just the ESU/FX/MFX ones.
No mfx locos in the database, but all locos with factory-installed 6080 or 6090 decoder should be there. No ESU models there.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Rohit279  
#19 Posted : 28 August 2019 08:12:20(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
o what happens if you search the database for either a 3607 or 3609 (depending which address you have the switches set to) and select that as the loco, instead of using the 'find loco' function?

So I tried your suggestion yesterday... I chose 3609 ( address 18 ) instead of 3607 ( address 19) on the MS database . The lok registered and I was able to run and control it. However, once I power off my MS and switch it on again, the lok disappears. I need to register it again to have it back on the MS. I tried this 2 - 3 times and every time ,the result is the same. So while the MS is registering the lok, it's not saving the setting.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this ? Mellow

Regards,

Rohit
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 28 August 2019 08:31:18(UTC)
H0

Have you tried registering other locos? Do they persist? Pick an unused address (maybe 77), register a loco entry for that address and check if it is still there the next time. If it persists, just change your loco to that address...

Make sure you use any of the slots 1 through 10 for the loco, not slot 11 which is volatile by design.
Is the loco still in the loco list even if it loses its slot?

Have you tried resetting the MS2?
The MS2 has a file system and sometimes one has to delete files from this file system to restore proper operation - files that can be corrupt, but persist a reset.

If you only have a single MS2 then do not blindly delete all files. I'd delete files that seem to relate to the loco list.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#21 Posted : 28 August 2019 16:01:57(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
o what happens if you search the database for either a 3607 or 3609 (depending which address you have the switches set to) and select that as the loco, instead of using the 'find loco' function?

So I tried your suggestion yesterday... I chose 3609 ( address 18 ) instead of 3607 ( address 19) on the MS database . The lok registered and I was able to run and control it. However, once I power off my MS and switch it on again, the lok disappears. I need to register it again to have it back on the MS. I tried this 2 - 3 times and every time ,the result is the same. So while the MS is registering the lok, it's not saving the setting.

Regards,

Rohit

In addition to @H0 suggestions, how many locos do you have?

The MS 2 database has a maximum for 40 registrations places since software version 3.55 for a MS 2. Before it were 10 registration places. Well yes, I do not write locos, because e.g. mfx decoders in a coach take a registration place too. So it can be a registration data is not saved because of an overflow of your database. But myself I realized, even at a CS 3 sometimes mfx registrations were lost. But because after setting a loco on the tracks again, it is quickly reregistered and so no problem by that.

Besides a databse overflow must exist other reasons for loosing registrations. I read somewhere, somebody had tested how many locos a CS 3 can register. After 2.000 (yes two thousand) registrations he stopped doing it. Also Märklin has a function in the CS 3 "searching mfx decoders". They do not write why, they only write, it can happen and therefore this function exists.

BTW which software version do you have on your MS 2?
Offline Rohit279  
#22 Posted : 30 August 2019 23:02:52(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Hi Friends !

Just an update.... loco has been behaving for a few days now. I still need to register it every time I power on my layout/ MS which is a little irritating. I usually put the loco on the track and select the number from the database. Despite my various attempts, I am not able to save the settings. At least, I am able to play.

Thanks to all for all the support / advise / suggestions !!!

Cheers !!!

Offline dominator  
#23 Posted : 01 September 2019 09:01:54(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Buy some memory cards for each Loco. It helps, even with mfx locos.
https://www.ebay.com/itm...sid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Dereck

Edited by user 02 September 2019 02:32:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä