Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline John Ferguson  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2019 23:05:52(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
1. Initially I set actions for loco speed or sounds at track sensors. (Current detection or reed switches) The problem with this was that locos passing the sensors acted on each other.

2. This could be overcome by setting a turnout for example straight with condition delay for an event for that loco. Another loco with the same turnout set to branch in that event would cause the event to stop being processed so that the first loco was not affected. This was difficult to manage with over 60 turnouts and 20 locos.

3. A better solution was found using actions arising from track sensors always to be within an event so as not to set an event to automatic for the particular sensor. Loco actions remain separate for each loco by this means. Events for loco route events are best launched within events in my experience.

I start my first event manually and other loco events happen automatically by being included in this event and other events to follow after track sensors are set to condition delay. Hence it is not necessary to set a sensor in the automatic slot for any event. To do this would cause the problem in 1 above as described. When the software within an event reaches the track sensor it will wait until the sensor is activated by occupation. Alternatively if the sensor is set for a loco to vacate the area as the action required the software will wait until this happens. Therefore locos can be detected arriving and departing and appropriate events set to follow. A track sensor set for a loco arriving is set to yellow and one for a departing loco set to grey.

I amp finding that these principles are working. My confidence in the CS3 has been significantly increased.

John
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by John Ferguson
Offline Jabez  
#2 Posted : 14 August 2019 14:19:37(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: John Ferguson Go to Quoted Post
1. Initially I set actions for loco speed or sounds at track sensors. (Current detection or reed switches)John

I have tried reed switches (both Maerklin and Viessmann models) but although I install them as instructed, they invariably stick up enough to foul PUs or wheels when vehicles pass over them.Cursing
Do you have any special advice for trouble free installation of such switches?
Thanks
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline John Ferguson  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2019 17:02:40(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
1. Initially I set actions for loco speed or sounds at track sensors. (Current detection or reed switches)John

I have tried reed switches (both Maerklin and Viessmann models) but although I install them as instructed, they invariably stick up enough to foul PUs or wheels when vehicles pass over them.Cursing
Do you have any special advice for trouble free installation of such switches?
Thanks
Jabez

To install reed switches I cut a slot in the sleepers so they finish level with the sleepers. Then I replace any ballast that has been disturbed and paint the ballast to match. The effect is to make them almost invisible.

One thing to remember is not to park locos over the reed switches so that the magnets under the locos hold the reed switch closed.

John

Offline Jabez  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2019 17:42:46(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Ahah!, That's the secret. But I suppose you are using K track. My problem is with C.
Thanks
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline John Ferguson  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2019 18:43:53(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
Ahah!, That's the secret. But I suppose you are using K track. My problem is with C.
Thanks

I am using Peco flexible N gauge track with plastic sleepers in the UK.

John

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by John Ferguson
Offline Mark5  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2022 02:33:55(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
I think we could easily have a bigger discussion about the best reed switches, magnets etc or methods of signalling events in K and C track. I have only used contact track and the old M-track things that get stuck. I suppose that should, could be or was another thread already.

That said, very happy to hear you are using the CS3 to trigger events and it seems to be working for you. I want to learn how to get a CS3 to do work the scheduling and block sections and wondering how far I will able to get it to go before I would have to use PC control.

Is any of your N-scale Trix? How did you come about to have interest in the CS3 instead of another controller for your N-scale layout?

Thanks for posting your experience.
Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline John Ferguson  
#7 Posted : 21 April 2022 14:24:04(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
I think we could easily have a bigger discussion about the best reed switches, magnets etc or methods of signalling events in K and C track. I have only used contact track and the old M-track things that get stuck. I suppose that should, could be or was another thread already.

That said, very happy to hear you are using the CS3 to trigger events and it seems to be working for you. I want to learn how to get a CS3 to do work the scheduling and block sections and wondering how far I will able to get it to go before I would have to use PC control.

Is any of your N-scale Trix? How did you come about to have interest in the CS3 instead of another controller for your N-scale layout?

Thanks for posting your experience.
Mark

Hi Mark

My track is all made by Peco. It is N gauge code 55.

I previously had ESU's ECOS command station but this was not suitable for full automation except for shuttle modes.

The Viessmann Commander that followed developed a fault and is no longer manufactured. However unlike Marklin's CS3 it does know the position of every loco on the layout.

So I moved to the CS3 which has been difficult to master for automation running.

You can see my layout on Facebook. It is called "Electric Railway Model Site"

If you are finding the CS3 difficult it will work with RocRail software which is free on the web apart from a small donation.

John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by John Ferguson
Offline Mark5  
#8 Posted : 23 April 2022 11:40:08(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Do you have any photos or videos of your layout? Would be fun to see in motion with controllers.
Offline John Ferguson  
#9 Posted : 23 April 2022 11:54:15(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Do you have any photos or videos of your layout? Would be fun to see in motion with controllers.

Its all shown as I said on my Facebook site "Electric Railway Model Site"

John
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 23 April 2022 22:06:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

John

Yep, and there are legions of us who refuse to deal with facebook.

It wouldn't hurt to post a few of the pictures here.

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline John Ferguson  
#11 Posted : 24 April 2022 10:22:50(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

John

Here are some photos as requested.

John

20211205_101646.jpgDSCF8748.JPGDSCF8753.JPGDSCF8752.JPG
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by John Ferguson
Offline Mark5  
#12 Posted : 25 April 2022 04:59:03(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Yes, I am no longer on FB either. Politics online killed too many friendships with misunderstandings and offhand remarks. Humour and politics don't mix too well I have discovered. So no FB sadly.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Mark5  
#13 Posted : 27 April 2022 07:44:50(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Somehow I overlooked the post with photos! Great stuff, beautiful landscaping and bridge work and quite an involved set up. Can you tell us a bit about how what elements of your layout might be automated as in using feedback modules?
Thank you for posting this for us FB exiles!
- Mark