Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mgbeck_98  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2019 08:06:59(UTC)
mgbeck_98

United States   
I have two buss wires for Digital(red) and Ground(brown) encircling my layout powered by my CS2. It does not power switches it is only for the digital control signal. My decoders are separately powered. I'd like to add a lighting buss to my layout powered by the yellow output of a standard trafo (ala Ma 6631). I'd rather not add in a separate ground for this circuit. Can I combine the brown outputs from the CS2 and Blue Trafo like the following without any ill effects?
wiring.jpg
Offline amartinezv  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2019 09:59:51(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Yes you can, no problem
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2019 12:55:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Generally yes, but which controller type and version you have will have an influence as will booster types.

Early versions of the CS2 did not have galvanic isolation, neither does the CS3, but the CS3+ does. You can only have one of these devices powering your layout, everything else powering the layout must be galvanically isolated if you're using a common 'brown'.

Likewise 60173 boosters are not galvanically isolated but 60174 and 60175 are. Same rules apply.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline mgbeck_98  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2019 14:37:35(UTC)
mgbeck_98

United States   
Thanks, but what effect does not having galvanic isolation have?

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Generally yes, but which controller type and version you have will have an influence as will booster types.

Early versions of the CS2 did not have galvanic isolation, neither does the CS3, but the CS3+ does. You can only have one of these devices powering your layout, everything else powering the layout must be galvanically isolated if you're using a common 'brown'.

Likewise 60173 boosters are not galvanically isolated but 60174 and 60175 are. Same rules apply.

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2019 15:24:08(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: mgbeck_98 Go to Quoted Post
None at all in your case. Since Märklin transformers have galvanic insulation and since they are simple analogue devices, you can use your bus wires as intended, even if your CS2 does not have galvanic insulation.

At any time there should be only one digital device without galvanic insulation connected to the track. But this does not apply to your bus wire.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mgbeck_98  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2019 22:59:59(UTC)
mgbeck_98

United States   
I looked up galvanic isolation, so I know what everyone is talking about.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Originally Posted by: mgbeck_98 Go to Quoted Post
None at all in your case. Since Märklin transformers have galvanic insulation and since they are simple analogue devices, you can use your bus wires as intended, even if your CS2 does not have galvanic insulation.

At any time there should be only one digital device without galvanic insulation connected to the track. But this does not apply to your bus wire.

Online dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 19 June 2019 01:23:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Ahhh, Thank you. Finally an answer about this topic which makes complete sense to me and clears up what had caused me some confusion. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.