Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Michael4  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2019 12:22:56(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   

I just can't quite get my head around this.

I am trying to operate a set of points at every other pass (always in the same direction).

There must be a way of making 5146 operate every other stroke (always in the same direction). In other words - does nothing - contact - does nothing - contact - etc etc

Is there an old wiring schematic somewhere? Maybe it involves the use of 7045 perhaps?

Any suggestions welcome!
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2019 13:20:59(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I am trying to operate a set of points at every other pass (always in the same direction).

There must be a way of making 5146 operate every other stroke (always in the same direction). In other words - does nothing - contact - does nothing - contact - etc etc

If you only have one 5146, positioned before the points, you'll need a flip-flop.

But if you have two 5146s, and place them after the points, one after each exit of the points,
and far enough away to accommodate the complete train, you can have one 5146 setting the points in one direction,
and the other 5146 setting the points in the opposite direction.

Since each 5146 only will be activated on every second round-trip, this will work as you want it to.

I hope this is enough for you to figure it out; I'm on my way out of the house BigGrin

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Michael4  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2019 15:51:49(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Not sure that I understand...quite possibly I'm a bit thick!

UserPostedImageScreen Shot 2019-06-08 at 14.40.20 by dralowid, on Flickr

(ignore the two red 5146 for now)

Train leaves purple depot runs along yellow track

Joins blue track which is an elevated reversing loop

Comes back down onto yellow track, enters purple depot where it is paused and reversed by 5146 or 5147 using 6600

At this point 5142 needs to switch to allow train to stay on yellow track to orange depot...but how?

At orange depot it is paused and reversed by 6600 and heads back to purple depot where it pauses, reverses and 5142 switches allowing it to go up onto blue track

Ad infinitum...

Have I gone mad??
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2019 09:14:42(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Per,

It took a few re-readings of your post but I have now understood your plan! Makes me wonder why I didn't understand it in the first place.

This is my little 'mountain' track which will only have a small loco and a couple of coaches on it. It will be able to run automatically with gentle halts here and there. Beneath it the larger tracks will be controlled by signals and maybe even a human.

Many thanks

Michael
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 09 June 2019 11:20:09(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Michael,

The 5146 recognizes the direction of the train. I made a small sketch with two 5146 which should work: The returning train switches to the yellow circle and the loco reaching the yellow line switches back the point to the blue line.

5146.jpg

Regards

Markus
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 09 June 2019 11:48:03(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
The returning train switches to the yellow circle and the loco reaching the yellow line switches back the point to the blue line.

I don't think this will work Cool

Your 5146 "Switches yellow direction" will be activated by every train passing from the left; meaning that both trains coming from the blue reversing loop and from the orange depot will activate it.

My plan was to mount the two 5146s, one in the same position as your "Switches blue direction" and the one more just below on your drawing.

Of course this means that the train always have to "cut" the points open, because every time it enters a point, the turnout will be in the opposite position; but this should not be a problem.

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Michael4  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2019 15:49:23(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Per,

Yes, your last diagram is how I understand the principle of it.

I also intend to use the same 5146s to activate pauses.

I'm guessing that will need to be in the opposite direction to the the direction used for activating the points. I'm not sure what would happen with 6600 getting an instruction from the same wire that is switching a set of points.
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2019 17:36:33(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I'm not sure what would happen with 6600 getting an instruction from the same wire that is switching a set of points.

I don't know; but I fear it will be a problem.

I would use two 5146s for the point and two 5146 for the 6600, also to keep things simple.

If you don't have extra 5146s, then a relay could help you; but now wire-ring gets a bit more complicated BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 09 June 2019 19:22:14(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
When planning their location I need to remember that there is no 5146/7 type contact track for the 5120 curve radius...
Offline asp1880  
#10 Posted : 10 June 2019 10:40:26(UTC)
asp1880

Denmark   
When planning their location I need to remember that there is no 5146/7 type contact track for the 5120 curve radius...

Use straight contact track pieces instead, place them on the straight parts to the left of the turnout and have them activate on trains coming from the left. Also, you won’t have trouble with train length that way.

Regards,
Anders.