Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#1 Posted : 29 May 2019 11:13:31(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by I_love_Marklin_37538
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 29 May 2019 11:40:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: I_love_Marklin_37538 Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, with a set a four 4-wheel coaches and a Gepackwagon. No prices yet though.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline pab  
#3 Posted : 29 May 2019 11:43:56(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Looks like a nice addition to my collection. Including the thunderbox cars with interior lights and passengers.
Offline danmarklinman  
#4 Posted : 29 May 2019 12:50:33(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Is there a z insider 2?
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 29 May 2019 12:54:21(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks,
Wow that is really something, perfect for smaller layouts.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline vilithejou  
#6 Posted : 29 May 2019 14:23:15(UTC)
vilithejou

So very very interesting model

Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
Offline Leitner  
#7 Posted : 29 May 2019 15:05:00(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Why they insist on extremely niche models? I mean, how many BR78.10 were produced irl? 2?
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 29 May 2019 15:54:28(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, with a set a four 4-wheel coaches and a Gepackwagon. No prices yet though.

€439,99 for the locomotive.
€299.99 for the passenger car set

Nice model and quite tempting.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline mbarreto  
#9 Posted : 29 May 2019 18:22:15(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

€439,99 for the locomotive.

The price per locomotive centimeter is increasing.

Edit: It is better have a number to compare with other locomotives. 439,99 € / 19,9 cm = 22,11 €/cm.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline QQQ1970  
#10 Posted : 29 May 2019 20:04:52(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I have the old 43131 set and 43132 add-on. All same except it is 2nd class vs. 3rd, and without the figures. I have the classic and ubiquitous BR 24 converted to current conducting coupler at tender end and added on-off switch. So no thanks.
Offline steventrain  
#11 Posted : 29 May 2019 20:05:37(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post
Why they insist on extremely niche models? I mean, how many BR78.10 were produced irl? 2?

Wikipedia website. English translation.

The two vehicles of the class 78.10 of the German Federal Railways were based on the Prussian P 8 by the company Krauss-Maffei and the Minden repairing plant developed steam locomotives. This was intended to improve the acceleration values of vehicles, especially for use in suburban railways and light rail vehicles .

Features and History
The running and engine as well as the boiler of the two vehicles with the original operating numbers 38 2919 and 38 2990 remained almost unchanged. The cab was redesigned. There was also a short tender, which was coupled via a drawbar to the locomotive and improved the running characteristics when reversing. As tender locomotives they received the operating numbers 78 1001 and 1002. They operated first in the Munich area , later in Augsburg and last on Lake Constance .

Other P8 locomotives were not rebuilt, because with the retirement of war locomotives at the DB until 1954 were released in large numbers Wannentender that could be coupled with the P8. Thus, a conversion to Wendezugfähigen locomotives with a reverse speed of 85 km / h was also possible with simpler means.

Thus, the two locomotives remained 78 1001 and 78 1002 the only one of their kind and were retired in 1961 and then scrapped.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#12 Posted : 29 May 2019 20:37:58(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Why a niche model? Because almost everything mainstream has been done....

That is an eye-bleeding amount of money for those thunderboxes!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 29 May 2019 20:49:06(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post

Never built. Only 2 were reconstructed. But indeed I would have prefered the new Big Boy, which is now under steam again. Such a niche model is nothing for me. I ordered already the V 320, another niche model. Obviously 2019 is a Märklin niche year.Laugh

But the 5 Donnerbüchsen (= Thunder Rifles BigGrin) are of interest to me. They come with interior lights, which actually is nice. But they have to be switched on and off through the BR 78. But definitely I do not buy this BR 78.10. How shall I switch lights on and off then?
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 29 May 2019 20:49:46(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline scraigen  
#15 Posted : 29 May 2019 21:22:10(UTC)
scraigen

They are really nice but I never feel that being a club member brings me any great deals or bonuses more like I get the opportunity to buy the most expensive models and thats something I pay for as part of the subscription? But they look superb, maybe one day I'll be able to pick them up second hand!
Must build something
Offline Minok  
#16 Posted : 29 May 2019 21:47:51(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

But the 5 Donnerbüchsen (= Thunder Rifles BigGrin) are of interest to me. They come with interior lights, which actually is nice. But they have to be switched on and off through the BR 78. But definitely I do not buy this BR 78.10. How shall I switch lights on and off then?

I'm guessing if you put them behind a loco that doesn't provide switched power to the conducting coupler, you would have to install a slider on a car and a decoder inside to control the power; probably on the last car, the baggage car, to even control the tail lights separately from the interior lights.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline petestra  
#17 Posted : 29 May 2019 22:44:30(UTC)
petestra

United States   
This is a beautiful model and something I will seriously consider. Peter. Cool
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 30 May 2019 00:27:29(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

I'm guessing if you put them behind a loco that doesn't provide switched power to the conducting coupler, you would have to install a slider on a car and a decoder inside to control the power; probably on the last car, the baggage car, to even control the tail lights separately from the interior lights.

I think you are totally right.
Offline shannon  
#19 Posted : 30 May 2019 06:47:51(UTC)
shannon

Is this engine classified as tender or tank locomotive?
The loc comes with a tender but is classified as BR78.10 on which the classification is belong to tank locomotive serving for the main line.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#20 Posted : 30 May 2019 08:06:52(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: shannon Go to Quoted Post

The loc comes with a tender but is classified as BR78.10 on which the classification is belong to tank locomotive serving for the main line.

Hi Shannon,
I believe the BR78 is a 4-6-4 tank loco, so this is also classifed by DB as a tank locomotive in the form of a 4-6-4.
An example is the Maerklin 33072.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline vilithejou  
#21 Posted : 30 May 2019 08:26:27(UTC)
vilithejou

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Hi Shannon,
I believe the BR78 is a 4-6-4 tank loco, so this is also classifed by DB as a tank locomotive in the form of a 4-6-4.
An example is the Maerklin 33072.

Kimball

In Marklin Highlights say:

Tender close coupled,
image shows the model
positioned for a
display case

And:

Two-axle short tender Type 2T 17;
mfx+ digital decoder and sound
generator built into the model

That makes me think that it's not a loco-tender... but i can miss
Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by vilithejou
Offline DV  
#22 Posted : 30 May 2019 10:16:35(UTC)
DV

Australia   
UserPostedImage

Looks like engine and tender, close coupled, if it would have been a tank, my order would have gone inSad Sad Sad
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 30 May 2019 10:59:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
UserPostedImage

Looks like engine and tender, close coupled, if it would have been a tank, my order would have gone inSad Sad Sad

IIRC when they did this model as a Trix Profi Club model for Minitrix it was stated that it is regarded as a tank loco, but they needed a more powerful loco, and the T18/Br78 was too long for some of the curves that needed to be negotiated, so they put a small tender on the P18.

As for the economics of producing this loco, I would guess that already having a P8 loco in the range would help, so they only needed to tweak that tooling and then generate the tooling for the tender.

Then having done this as the Insider Club/Proficlub model, there will be the second loco in the class which will probably go on general sale in about 18 months, and then use it as a Nurnberg Model fair loco, probably with snow detailing, and then there will probably be a metal edition, and maybe the occasional fantasy colour scheme ... so they will get their moneys worth out of the model.
Offline Leitner  
#24 Posted : 30 May 2019 13:39:00(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Why a niche model? Because almost everything mainstream has been done....

That is an eye-bleeding amount of money for those thunderboxes!

I think there are plenty of mainstream models which can be reproduced, not only german. I believe a SNCF diesel locomotive for example would be a hit and would probably cost less to project/produce...
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline Goofy  
#25 Posted : 30 May 2019 15:07:45(UTC)
Goofy

This is a good news from Märklin about the steam locomotive BR 78.10!
Märklin present better AUX functions in this model, which means it´s also prepare for other new steam locomotives with same AUX functions. ThumpUp
Cab light
Smoke generator
Flickering fire box
Conductive coupler for the carriage
And sounds
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline TEEWolf  
#26 Posted : 30 May 2019 22:37:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

I do not know as it is at the English language. In another thread, I was taught, that the English language does not seperate between different tenders and/or tank.

The German language does. You got a "Schlepptender", this is always a seperate wagon pulled behind the steamer loco. And just a regular Tender, which is in German a coal container connected to the steamer like a Rucksack. Theses locos in German are called a "Tenderlokomotive".

A tank in German is regularly a box or container used for storage of liquids. At a steamer a tank is either on the loco or part of the Schlepptender. But in any cases it is a container storing the needed water for a steam engine.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline AntoinePrt  
#27 Posted : 31 May 2019 05:09:30(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
Hi there,

Just google translate and you will have all the answers you need BigGrin It is a tender. Presence of a draw bar between the tender and the locomotive frame.

https://www.modellbahnfr...r.de/selbstbau/7810.html

I am surprised no one had already made the relevant research Flapper

Enjoy!

A.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AntoinePrt
Offline bph  
#28 Posted : 31 May 2019 13:47:08(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
This is a good news from Märklin about the steam locomotive BR 78.10!
Märklin present better AUX functions in this model, which means it´s also prepare for other new steam locomotives with same AUX functions. ThumpUp
Cab light
Smoke generator
Flickering fire box
Conductive coupler for the carriage
And sounds

Agree ThumpUp
Especially like that they have installed conductive coupler for passenger car light.

Offline TEEWolf  
#29 Posted : 31 May 2019 18:25:10(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: AntoinePrt Go to Quoted Post
Hi there,

Just google translate and you will have all the answers you need BigGrin It is a tender. Presence of a draw bar between the tender and the locomotive frame.

https://www.modellbahnfr...r.de/selbstbau/7810.html

I am surprised no one had already made the relevant research Flapper

Enjoy!

A.

The rooster translator Google - LOL - Gockel
(in German the word Google sounds like the German word for rooster = "Gockel")

Or do you think that a French has to explain me my German language? You must not be surprised, if you would have read my explanations in post #26 thoroughly.Flapper

Again, in German this loco has a "Schlepptender" and not only a tender. Whereas the English language does not do this determination, which were told to me by native English speakers at this forum earlier.BigGrin
Offline Purellum  
#30 Posted : 31 May 2019 19:31:16(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

You got a "Schlepptender", this is always a seperate wagon pulled behind the steamer loco. And just a regular Tender, which is in German a coal container connected to the steamer like a Rucksack. Theses locos in German are called a "Tenderlokomotive".

And then you've got the "Öltender", the "Kondenstender", the "Wannentender", the "Kastentender" and the "Kabinentender" etc. LOL

A square tender is thus called a "Kastenschlepptender" LOL

I don't dare to guess what a square condensation tender with a cabin is called for an oil fired locomotive LOL Flapper LOL

In English it is so much easier.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#31 Posted : 31 May 2019 20:27:50(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

You got a "Schlepptender", this is always a seperate wagon pulled behind the steamer loco. And just a regular Tender, which is in German a coal container connected to the steamer like a Rucksack. Theses locos in German are called a "Tenderlokomotive".

And then you've got the "Öltender", the "Kondenstender", the "Wannentender", the "Kastentender" and the "Kabinentender" etc.

Per.

You presented exactly different concepts about the locomotive´s tender as an identification in german language.

Flapper
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Purellum  
#32 Posted : 31 May 2019 20:36:37(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

You presented exactly different concepts about the locomotive´s tender as an identification in german language.

Flapper

Maybe if you read my post one more time you'll understand.............. LOL

Per

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline kimballthurlow  
#33 Posted : 31 May 2019 22:53:43(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

I think the main point about this "tender" discussion in the forum should be as to what CLASSIFICATION was allocated by the Federal Railway Central Office Minden.
For operational purposes the genus/series 78.10 was allocated, placing these locomotives in the same operating pool as the BR78 4-6-4 tenderlokomotive.
The BR78 was capable of running backwards AND forwards with the same efficiency and safety.
The BR78.10 was capable of running backwards AND forwards with the same efficiency and safety.
So both 78s could be assigned to the same task.

As TEEWolf and Per have pointed out, the question of nomenclature of the locomotive is arguable.
The article quoted by Antoine does not describe the 781001 or 781002 as locos with a Schlepptender which translates to towed tender in English.
Neither does it describe them as tenderlokomotives (in English a tank locomotive).
It was not a standard Schlepptender locomotive because of the very complex mechanical arrangements designed to maintain some unity of movement between
the tender frame and the locomotive frame.
Such unity of movement does not exist in a locomotive with a standard towed tender.

Kimball

Offline Purellum  
#34 Posted : 31 May 2019 23:28:07(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
The BR78.10 was capable of running backwards AND forwards with the same efficiency and safety.

That was the plan when they rebuild the two BR38s; but the BR78.10s were never allowed to drive more than 60 km/h backwards.

The original BR38s was allowed to drive 50 km/t backwards, and the "normal" BR78s could do 100 km/t both forwards and backwards.

That's why only two were ever build.

Use Google translate: https://lok-magazin.de/l...-7810-p-8-mit-kurztender

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline kiwiAlan  
#35 Posted : 01 June 2019 00:02:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Was this small tender ever used for any other loco?

My thinking is that it is a smaller tender than the Br24 had, and it was a small loco, this is a somewhat larger loco, so its range must have been quite short.

Offline TEEWolf  
#36 Posted : 01 June 2019 03:04:30(UTC)
TEEWolf

My thinking is that it is a smaller tender than the Br24 had, and it was a small loco, this is a somewhat larger loco, so its range must have been quite short.

In the new Insider Club Magazine 03/2019 page 7 is an overview and an answer to your thoughts.

https://www.maerklin.de/...03-2019_051319_EN_tt.pdf

There only 2 locos were built of this class 78.10 I do not think that this small Schlepptender has been used to other steamers. Interesting in this overview is the lisitng and comparison with the last years Insider BR 65 too.

In the overview as well you see the differences between a "Schlepptenderlokomotive" and a "Tenderlokomotive".

This naming has nothing to do with any railway office, company or whatever in Germany. These are expressions and a part of the German language.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline AntoinePrt  
#37 Posted : 01 June 2019 07:07:15(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   

In the new Insider Club Magazine 03/2019 page 7 is an overview and an answer to your thoughts.

https://www.maerklin.de/...03-2019_051319_EN_tt.pdf

There only 2 locos were built of this class 78.10 I do not think that this small Schlepptender has been used to other steamers. Interesting in this overview is the lisitng and comparison with the last years Insider BR 65 too.

In the overview as well you see the differences between a "Schlepptenderlokomotive" and a "Tenderlokomotive".

This naming has nothing to do with any railway office, company or whatever in Germany. These are expressions and a part of the German language.

Thank you for the link. I have not received my frenchWink version yet.

And indeed, as you mentioned previously, I do not plan on giving German lessons. I am just here to learn, like many others, some knowledge people have about our little trains.

I was hesitating regarding an order but as it is a particular form factor, I will order it.

A.

Offline AntoinePrt  
#38 Posted : 04 June 2019 15:36:59(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
Hello,

I just sent an email to Märklin.
Error in the description pdf/website and probably the Insider Magazine ...

How can a control process let this go away...

We pay our trains a fortune and Märklin is not even capable of making good stuff of the money we give ... Mistake do happen but seriously ...

We pay more and more and quality gets less and less.

A.

38A7D52D-C4EB-4707-BB52-C3303FC5805F.png
Offline RayF  
#39 Posted : 04 June 2019 16:37:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Just seen this thread. Interesting loco! It's of limited application on most layouts, unless you run anything that Marklin makes! BigGrin

I guess Insider locos tend to be quite rare examples....
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline applor  
#40 Posted : 05 June 2019 03:16:01(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Ah crap, it's era3a and gorgeous to boot. I had hoped to avoid spending more money but this must be purchased Crying . Looks like a P8 but the cab of a BR23 and that cute little 2 axle tender Love
Especially keen on the thunderboxes which have been sorely missing in the epoch3a livery.
There have only been the 2 sets of red thunderbox pairs previously from Marklin and little else from other manufacturers.

edit: just read the history and it turns out they were actually rebuilt P8's, so yeah.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline esgovipa  
#41 Posted : 28 December 2019 16:16:53(UTC)
esgovipa

Spain   
Mine Br78.10 running in the club´s layout:

Best regards
"https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=rapama14"
UserPostedImage
IC1968
UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by esgovipa