Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#51 Posted : 19 March 2019 04:11:03(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: nzr1 Go to Quoted Post
I did see one at the USA National Toy Train Museum in Strasburg PA when I was last there a few years ago.

Yes I'm aware of that one, it's on my list ThumpUp

Thanks
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kamstutz  
#52 Posted : 22 May 2019 22:54:13(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Cookee - I just saw this on eBay.de - not sure if you have this wheel on your list or not, but maybe you can identify it by it's wooden crate ?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-Wunderrad-Riesenrad-Lok-50er-Jahre-Lokomotive-Maerklin/273818271950

Kurt
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline cookee_nz  
#53 Posted : 23 May 2019 11:23:00(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kamstutz Go to Quoted Post
Cookee - I just saw this on eBay.de - not sure if you have this wheel on your list or not, but maybe you can identify it by it's wooden crate ?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-Wunderrad-Riesenrad-Lok-50er-Jahre-Lokomotive-Maerklin/273818271950

Kurt

Hi Kurt, yes that one appeared earlier this year by a different seller (at EUR 5.650,00) but definitely the same wheel.....

https://www.ebay.de/itm/...-1-CCS-LMS-/254126700862

Previous seller ended auction early "because it contained an error" - it may actually be the same owner selling under a different trader ID?

Prices for these are all over the place. Anything from a few hundred up to a few thousand.

You probably could not build one for much less unless you already had a large assortment of M-Metall but even then the custom parts would still involve some work and cost and don;t underestimate the number of hours (days) to assemble it.

Thanks for keeping an eye out anyway BigGrin ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline TEEWolf  
#54 Posted : 23 May 2019 19:42:31(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Kurt

Hi Kurt, yes that one appeared earlier this year by a different seller (at EUR 5.650,00) but definitely the same wheel.....

Previous seller ended auction early "because it contained an error" - it may actually be the same owner selling under a different trader ID?

Prices for these are all over the place. Anything from a few hundred up to a few thousand.

You probably could not build one for much less unless you already had a large assortment of M-Metall but even then the custom parts would still involve some work and cost and don;t underestimate the number of hours (days) to assemble it.

Indeed, the named location at the 2 bids is identical. A small village near Heilbronn, 35 miles (55 km) North of Stuttgart. But as I understand the description of the last bid, the wheel is fully functionable. This means to me, it comes with the M-tracks, loco, transformator, etc. The seller writes: "Yes, the small locomotive and the wagons, with the diagonally applied red writing, are original to this wheel!"

The wheel should have been in the case shown in one picture, when he got it. Considerung the size of this wooden case, this weel must be assembled already. O.K., if you want, I can ask the seller about it by an e-mail. But the price is far to high for myself, although it is a interesting nice toy. But the seller asks interested people too, sending him a price proposal. Perhaps you can get an acceptable price for you.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline cookee_nz  
#55 Posted : 24 May 2019 06:55:00(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Kurt

Indeed, the named location at the 2 bids is identical. A small village near Heilbronn, 35 miles (55 km) North of Stuttgart. But as I understand the description of the last bid, the wheel is fully functionable. This means to me, it comes with the M-tracks, loco, transformator, etc. The seller writes: "Yes, the small locomotive and the wagons, with the diagonally applied red writing, are original to this wheel!"

The wheel should have been in the case shown in one picture, when he got it. Considerung the size of this wooden case, this weel must be assembled already. O.K., if you want, I can ask the seller about it by an e-mail. But the price is far to high for myself, although it is a interesting nice toy. But the seller asks interested people too, sending him a price proposal. Perhaps you can get an acceptable price for you.

Well, I already have one, two would be just..... greedy. On the other hand, one for each eye? LOL

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Markus Schild  
#56 Posted : 24 May 2019 07:22:53(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   

Well, I already have one, two would be just..... greedy. On the other hand, one for each eye? LOL

Hi Cookee,

You need both versions: The clockwise running wheel and the counter-clockwise running version. Blink

Regards

Markus

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline cookee_nz  
#57 Posted : 24 May 2019 08:52:09(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post

Hi Cookee,

You need both versions: The clockwise running wheel and the counter-clockwise running version. Blink

Regards

Markus

True, think of the possibilities....
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline LMS800  
#58 Posted : 24 May 2019 09:31:48(UTC)
LMS800

Germany   

Kurt

Hi Kurt,
I intended to buy this "Wunderrad", I searched for more Information About this Wheel and I got following Information:

Everything that makes up the Wonder Wheel is missing, or is rebuilt. The cover of the lighting unit above is a replica. The original Märklin logos on the rag are missing, as well as the sign on the bottom of the plate. The base plate is also not original. From the plug strip behind the Wunderrad is only a can of original. There is also a lamp in the middle of the miracle wheel, which illuminates the rails with the locomotive below in the wheel. This is missing too. The good piece is so tinkered from front to back

I still have to wait for a better offer.
Wolf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LMS800
Offline cookee_nz  
#59 Posted : 24 May 2019 11:00:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: LMS800 Go to Quoted Post

Kurt

Hi Kurt,
I intended to buy this "Wunderrad", I searched for more Information About this Wheel and I got following Information:

Everything that makes up the Wonder Wheel is missing, or is rebuilt. The cover of the lighting unit above is a replica. The original Märklin logos on the rag are missing, as well as the sign on the bottom of the plate. The base plate is also not original. From the plug strip behind the Wunderrad is only a can of original. There is also a lamp in the middle of the miracle wheel, which illuminates the rails with the locomotive below in the wheel. This is missing too. The good piece is so tinkered from front to back

I still have to wait for a better offer.
Wolf

Have you made the seller an offer for it at what you think is a fair price, knowing what you do about it?

If you were to try to build one from scratch, those particular parts would have to be replicated anyway, but there are other rare parts in it that would be hard to find.

There was just the wheel listed in 2017, no frame just the wheel and track and that was asking 1900 Euro. I don't think it ever sold.

Just a thought. BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kamstutz  
#60 Posted : 24 May 2019 12:33:05(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Have you made the seller an offer for it...

No, just a dream at the moment. I fell in love Love with the one I saw running at Andreas's house last year in California. Even if the price was fair I have no space to properly display this wheel. I am in need of another house with a large room for trains. If anyone has one for sale please let me know... LOL

Kurt
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline kamstutz  
#61 Posted : 24 May 2019 16:25:38(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
I just checked this thread and I don't see that anyone has posted a video showing the "WonderWheel" in action. While most people can imagine how it works being powered by a small CM800/3000, it is one thing to see a picture of the wheel and it is another to actually see one spinning live. For the benefit of those that have never seen one of these wheels I attach a short video below that I took last year when visiting a collector who had a working lighted example. Quite a sight to see... Enjoy.

Kurt
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline cookee_nz  
#62 Posted : 25 May 2019 11:16:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I just checked this thread and I don't see that anyone has posted a video showing the "WonderWheel" in action. While most people can imagine how it works being powered by a small CM800/3000, it is one thing to see a picture of the wheel and it is another to actually see one spinning live. For the benefit of those that have never seen one of these wheels I attach a short video below that I took last year when visiting a collector who had a working lighted example. Quite a sight to see... Enjoy.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, there's actually no shortage of videos, just go to YouTube and google "Wonderwheel" or "Wunderrad" and you'll find other examples, not just the Wonderwheel but other M-metal display models.

I did a short one of my own model at a show here last year when for a laugh I ran the Good Luck Pig on it for a short time - it was a hit, inspired after a visitor commented that it reminded them of a Hamster or a pet Rat in a wheel...

Personally, I like the Industrial Factory, BKM11, ("Industrieanlage") only three or four known to exist but this is a very large model indeed with plenty of complexity. I know these items are not everyone's cup of tea but they sure are mine :-)

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#63 Posted : 26 May 2019 04:41:31(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Kurt

That's the one owned by Andreas H. isn't it?, I communicated with him a while back and got some good info

:-)

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kamstutz  
#64 Posted : 26 May 2019 05:13:29(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   

Personally, I like the Industrial Factory, BKM11, ("Industrieanlage") only three or four known to exist...

Cookee - Very interesting animations here on this layout. ThumpUp I'm sure that this one would be a hit at any train show (with proper security if left over night). Is this one completely automated or are the stops and ball drops manually controlled? Confused And.... finally a use for the lowly tipper car - the least respected car Marklin ever made. LOL

Video of wheel I posted is indeed from Andreas's collection.

Kurt
Offline cookee_nz  
#65 Posted : 26 May 2019 11:14:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Personally, I like the Industrial Factory, BKM11, ("Industrieanlage") only three or four known to exist...

Cookee - Very interesting animations here on this layout. ThumpUp I'm sure that this one would be a hit at any train show (with proper security if left over night). Is this one completely automated or are the stops and ball drops manually controlled? Confused And.... finally a use for the lowly tipper car - the least respected car Marklin ever made. LOL

Video of wheel I posted is indeed from Andreas's collection.

Kurt

The 'factory' with ping-pong balls is fully automated, I'm not sure how the precise train stopping and positioning is done but I have studied it a few times.

There's not only the stopping and starting of the train but also the timing of it.

There's a noticeable pause between dropping ball 2 and 3 and yet the train waits, so it also knows the ball is (or should be) in the hopper wagon. Perhaps a sensor that confirms the release of the ball, or passing through the chute into the wagon?

You can probably be confident that M. will have made it as simple, yet reliable as possible, and would have used as many existing M-M components as possible with a few custom parts.

I suspect this will be a question for Markus Schild, I'm sure he knows the secret :-)

I know of only one of these pieces in the USA - owned by Jeremy Root in New York. I am not sure how operational his is, if at all. I had some contact with him but he appears to acquired it around 2013 and has been very busy with work, it may be in storage as a rainy-day project. It was discussed on FAM in this thread for those who are members...

http://alte-modellbahnen...l-im-Laufe-der-Zeit.html

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#66 Posted : 26 May 2019 11:21:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Is there a post there Cookee??
Offline cookee_nz  
#67 Posted : 27 May 2019 07:42:23(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Is there a post there Cookee??

Yes....

"It was discussed on FAM in this thread for those who are members..." (I should have said "visible only to members) Blushing

http://alte-modellbahnen.xobor.de/t30356f2-Maerklin-Werbemittel-im-Laufe-der-Zeit.html

Here's a screenshot of the opening comments to the thread.... it goes well into three pages

Hopefully this does not contravene any FAM guidelines, I snipped out users names which appears down the rh side but if you sign up to the forum (use Chrome, it will do auto-translation) you can see the entire topic.

FAM is actually very good with heaps of interesting threads, especially for enthusiasts of the older items like me ThumpUp

JeremyRoot2013.jpg

Edited by user 27 May 2019 11:10:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Tiki734  
#68 Posted : 17 June 2019 15:38:37(UTC)
Tiki734

Australia   
Hi
There is a wheel currently on German eBay. I think the starting bid is 4000 Euros. It includes original train and wagon boxes.
It was a few days ago and I will try and find it again.
Roger
https://www.ebay.com.au/...sid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
It's the same one now listed at 4150 Euros.

Edited by user 20 June 2019 06:18:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tiki734
Offline cookee_nz  
#69 Posted : 20 June 2019 22:56:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Tiki734 Go to Quoted Post
Hi
There is a wheel currently on German eBay. I think the starting bid is 4000 Euros. It includes original train and wagon boxes.
It was a few days ago and I will try and find it again.
Roger
https://www.ebay.com.au/...sid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
It's the same one now listed at 4150 Euros.

Hi Roger, this is the same one mentioned above in post #52 by Kurt BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#70 Posted : 09 April 2020 06:00:07(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Quick question; Has anyone been to the Toy Museum in Rüdesheim am Rhein?

http://www.toy-museum.de/

I read an article about a Gent who built a complete replica Wonderwheel, apparently copied by photos from an example at this museum.

I'd like to know if anyone has visited that museum in the past and whether they can recall seeing the original item?

TIA

Cookee

The hunt continues....
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline PJMärklin  
#71 Posted : 09 April 2020 10:00:52(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

I read an article about a Gent who built a complete replica Wonderwheel, apparently copied by photos from an example at this museum.

I'd like to know if anyone has visited that museum in the past and whether they can recall seeing the original item?

TIA

Cookee

The hunt continues....

Hello Stephen,

I was there at the Rüdesheim am Rhein Toy Museum in 2011.

This is the only image I took at that museum :

UserPostedImage

There are some Märklin products there and whilst we are all fallible, I do not recall the Wonderwheel (although it was not thatmost in my mind at the timeBlushing.)

My review of the site notes there is a wheel there, but it does not appear to be the Märklin Wonderwheel :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

As I have previously posted, my principal recollection of Rüdesheim am Rhein is :

https://www.marklin-user...55-by-Gutzold#post607931

Regards,

PhilipSmile

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Nigel Packer  
#72 Posted : 09 April 2020 10:42:15(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   

This is actually Christian Selzer’s auction house, one of the leading, and longest-established, specialist auctioneers in Germany. Christian has several Märklin auctions per year, and I’ve been there quite a number of times for auctions and to collect items won.

Auktionshaus Selzer

I think the toy museum is actually showing Christian’s own collection, and he has quite a lot of old and rare stuff. I don’t remember seeing the wheel, though, but that’s not definitive.

I would recommend the Selzer auctions, particularly if you are looking for older Märklin products, and very much so if you like old larger scale trains, Gauge 0 and Gauge 1. There is a glossy catalogue for each auction that can be downloaded as PDFs, but these tend to be available only a week or 10 days before the auction. I put in bids remotely for most of the auctions, and the service provided is excellent, including packing and postage of quite large parcels!

If you contact Christian, tell him I sent you, as he’s very familiar with dealing with me.

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline cookee_nz  
#73 Posted : 10 April 2020 08:55:59(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Thanks for the info Nigel. I did already email them before your reply so let's see what they come back with. 😀
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image