Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hics  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2019 12:48:43(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Hello.

My new item has just arrived. It is used 39370. Because of this I have two questions.

1. It has a c-sinus engine. And I have to say I'm a little disappointed about how noisy it is. As it only starts to spins it is more noisy then standard central engine. I oiled it a little bit but it didn't helped much. Is there any way to make it quieter?

2. Lights. It has directional yellowish LED in front and red and the back. But it also has a "long lights" (is it the right word?). But this one works in one direction only. If I change the direction this light stays and red lights appears next to it. It looks quite awkward. Does this mean that decoder is damaged?

[img]http://[/img]BR 101 decoder.jpgBR 101 engine.jpg
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2019 13:07:29(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Hics Go to Quoted Post
Hello.

My new item has just arrived. It is used 39370. Because of this I have two questions.

1. It has a c-sinus engine. And I have to say I'm a little disappointed about how noisy it is. As it only starts to spins it is more noisy then standard central engine. I oiled it a little bit but it didn't helped much. Is there any way to make it quieter?

They are a bit louder than modern DC motors but quieter than the older DCM. Nothing you can do about it

2. Lights. It has directional yellowish LED in front and red and the back. But it also has a "long lights" (is it the right word?). But this one works in one direction only. If I change the direction this light stays and red lights appears next to it. It looks quite awkward. Does this mean that decoder is damaged?

I haven't looked up the manual but from these style engines when I used to own them, the long distance headlights were individually activated for front and rear - they do not change direction like normal headlights.

Therefore if you change directions, you need to turn the long distance lights off for direction 1 and turn them on for direction 2. Try the next sequential function key ( F2 and F3 maybe?)
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline lewistrain  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2019 13:22:37(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Would you be able to describe the noise or post a video of it?.
Perhaps some foreign object has attached itself tp the permanent magnet inside the motor?
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
Offline Hics  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2019 13:24:14(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
I haven't looked up the manual but from these style engines when I used to own them, the long distance headlights were individually activated for front and rear.....)

I will try it tonight and I will let you know later does this work.
Thanks
Offline Hics  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2019 13:28:35(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: lewistrain Go to Quoted Post
Would you be able to describe the noise or post a video of it?.
Perhaps some foreign object has attached itself tp the permanent magnet inside the motor?

I would love to do it. Can I upload a clip here?

But as applor said looks like this is ok. It is noiser than central engine but a little quieter then DCM

Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 17 May 2019 17:17:17(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, here is a little video showing a Big C sine engine.
Hope it can be seen
Regards

https://m.facebook.com/s...=1171492085&sfnsn=mo
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Hics  
#7 Posted : 17 May 2019 17:26:10(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hi, here is a little video showing a Big C sine engine.
Hope it can be seen
Regards

https://m.facebook.com/s...=1171492085&sfnsn=mo

Thanks franciscohg

I have got sound to the max and I can hardly hear it. Mine c-sine is like a tractor compared to this one.
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 17 May 2019 18:03:00(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
I was surprised that you found the motor noisy, perhaps it is damaged.
All of my Big C sine motors runs great,
I made a video on a test stand

Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Hics  
#9 Posted : 17 May 2019 18:32:10(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
wooooow!!!
wait when you hear mine. this will be like a tractor.
I wiĺl post it tonight.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Hics
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 17 May 2019 21:19:23(UTC)
Webmaster

From my C-sine grey Franco-Crosti, I remember it has a kind of "electric power plant" sound at the first 1-3 speed steps - but it runs fine and it is a great motor indeed.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline AshleyH  
#11 Posted : 18 May 2019 08:49:18(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
The 39370 had a very early C Sine motor. I think it was only the second model fitted with one, after the ICE-S Train, which was an evaluation model.
I no longer have one in my collection, but recall that is was slightly noisier than main production models such as 39573 and 39579 for some reason.
Also, I believe that a different function key operates the long or high beam headlights at each end, they are not directional.

Edited by user 18 May 2019 14:03:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Hics  
#12 Posted : 18 May 2019 12:58:10(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
From my C-sine grey Franco-Crosti, I remember it has a kind of "electric power plant" sound at the first 1-3 speed steps - but it runs fine and it is a great motor indeed.

It is exactly what happens with mine

Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post
Also, I believe that a different function key operates the long or high beam headlights at each end, they are not directional.

This is true as well. I discovered it yesterday. Listen them on loud speaker.

I did some video yesterday as well.

Check this one closer from 14th second.

And this one shows that as I lift loco noise stops but wheels carry on spinning. But then it is quiet.
Offline lewistrain  
#13 Posted : 18 May 2019 21:34:45(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

It is exactly what happens with mine

Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post

This is true as well. I discovered it yesterday. Listen them on loud speaker.

I did some video yesterday as well.

Check this one closer from 14th second.

And this one shows that as I lift loco noise stops but wheels carry on spinning. But then it is quiet.

Wow that is quite odd.
It may not be the motor, remove the body again and turn the motor over by hand, it should feel very smooth with no obstructions, it should be very very easy.
Hopefully you will be able to feel something wrong or see where the noise is coming from.

LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
Offline Hics  
#14 Posted : 19 May 2019 00:18:49(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
I have a feeling it is a vibration of a body. The engine itself runs very quiet. But as soon as I drop it on a track this noise appears. If I only lift it by 1 mm, loco will still run but noise disappears.

I'm thinking about some kind of foam between body and a buggy.
What could I do to reduce vibration? Buggy seats on 4 points of metal. If I for example paint them with some kind of "paint" which will leave a surface covered this should reduce the noise.
What do you think?
20190518_233017.jpg
Offline dickinsonj  
#15 Posted : 19 May 2019 15:08:01(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have a feeling it is a vibration of a body. If I for example paint them with some kind of "paint" which will leave a surface covered this should reduce the noise.
What do you think?

I don't think that will fix your noise problem, but it might create a grounding problem from the chassis to the rails. I think that it could be a mechanical problem and if the motor spins as freely as it should, then I would suspect the culprit might be in the gear train.

Good luck and let us know what you learn.ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Hics  
#16 Posted : 19 May 2019 17:34:43(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I have a feeling it is a vibration of a body. If I for example paint them with some kind of "paint" which will leave a surface covered this should reduce the noise.
What do you think?

I don't think that will fix your noise problem, but it might create a grounding problem from the chassis to the rails. I think that it could be a mechanical problem and if the motor spins as freely as it should, then I would suspect the culprit might be in the gear train.
Good luck and let us know what you learn.ThumpUp

I didn't think about grounding but I think you are absolutely right. Im afraid I will have to live with it. I'm also starting to think it's a gearing problem. One of a wheels is a little lose. It is a tiny tiny but this can make this noise as it starts to spin.