Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lewistrain  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2019 09:34:12(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
They are just such a silly thing, especially for those of us over ten but we still love them.
Some like to collect and keep them in a box, others like to build their own from old biscuit tins and plenty of us like to just play around modify and tinker with them.
For me its about heavy old locos fitted with decoders and super super quite motors, or drilling holes for lights and stuff, or just generally tinkering with something.
So go ahead and tell us why you love your trains and what about them brings you such joy.
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by lewistrain
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2019 10:48:36(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Well for just a few hours I get to play "God". I can create whatever comes to mind & get to control all that moves on that layout & I get to be a kid all over. Some take to alcohol / drugs to escape reality. Well that escapism is Model trains for me & what great joy it brings Cool
D.A.Banks
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2019 11:29:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
What's not to love? BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2019 11:39:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Well, for me model trains are educational in a non-boring sort of way.
This passion pushed me to dicover relay logic, software (learning new s/w languages), modelling, landscaping, architecture, painting, starting with ultra small electronic components.
Dave is right to some extent. I am not God (of course) but this is about creating a little world of fantasy
And of course what a way to evade from every day worries.

Cheers

Jean
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline lewistrain  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2019 11:56:02(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Just had a look at your layout video Jean, very nice with the little Faller vehic,es and such.
Plenty of room to escape everyday right there.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by lewistrain
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2019 12:15:14(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I have loved this hobby since I was 11 and it's the best. It has taught and continued to teach me so much over the many years, and it's so much fun. I usually

spend mornings with my hobby and those hours just fly which is the only thing I don't like. Peter. BigGrin
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline utkan  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2019 12:36:46(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
I usually spend with them 12 hours but my wife is visiting a friend of hers meaning I am with them 24 hours...Wub
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2019 14:40:53(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Where did you get the idea from I'm enjoying it ? every time I like to run my trains something is wrong, got the ÖBB Rh 4010 going, no worries but the drivers cab 's light didn't work and the headlights or marker lights, so I took it apart and found a wire was loose and to operate the headlight and marker light there was no slider underneath it.
than I found the bogie just fell out of its socket., so I got rid of the broken split plug and superglued a coupling into the same spot, cn't use it straight away because it has to dry.
than I found the lights in the carriages went on and off, so I took some apart., the way they've constructed the light contact is ok for a view years but not 20 years, the copper just oxidizes and you loose the contact.
and there is the new Roco BlS Re 4/4 its housing is moving like a swing from side to side, than there is my SBB RABDe 500 "ICN" I've worked on this one of and on and I don't seem to be able to get the wires sorted out., and than there is the heat we've experiencing at the moment, like 36-38°C most probably 40° in the garage.
So it is now 9.30 pm this is 5 hours now I've fiddled to fix all these little annoying problems., Oh I've forgot about enjoyment, I did enjoy the dinner my wife cooked but this is about it.

I always look on the bright side there is always tomorrow.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Elsleuth1  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2019 15:56:08(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
I agree with John, there are lots of problems to solve. Figuring out how to put passengers in 4000 series cars, mending an engine, making a new structure. There are a lot of things to learn which is great fun.

But every day or night I take a few minutes and watch my five trains march around the layout automatically. My wife says it is like watching fish in an aquarium.

20181214_203947.jpg
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Elsleuth1
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2019 19:35:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Elsleuth1 Go to Quoted Post
I agree with John, there are lots of problems to solve. Figuring out how to put passengers in 4000 series cars, mending an engine, making a new structure. There are a lot of things to learn which is great fun.

But every day or night I take a few minutes and watch my five trains march around the layout automatically. My wife says it is like watching fish in an aquarium.

But just as mesmerising (says Alan who has just finished watching an hour and a half of cab ride at night from Brenner in the snow).

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline artfull dodger  
#11 Posted : 10 February 2019 20:08:51(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
For me, they are the reason I am still here above the dirt, according to my therapist. I am autistic, but was not formally diagnosed till I was into adulthood. But struggled with extreme bullying and suicide thru my teen years. But when I got stressed and overwhelmed, I could retreat to my model train world(my safe place) to get thru those tough times and not go thru with ending my life. My model trains and have many of them, are my primary tool to survive living on the spectrum as a adult. While the socializing part of going to train shows and meet ups to run my G scale live steamers is overwhelming for me, I enjoy it way to much to be a hermit and stay at home. After starting with mostly Lionel trains(most common here in the USA), I shifted to LGB and European meter gauge after getting a starter set from my German relatives upon thier return from a trip to the home country. I got into Marklin in my late 20's. I still do both, Marklin HO and a bit of Gauge 1(mostly Maxi items) and my LGB narrow gauge trains. So for me, model trains are the farthest thing from pointless, they are/were literally difference between life and death for many years and now are important to my mental stability. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline W3Machinist  
#12 Posted : 10 February 2019 20:45:26(UTC)
W3Machinist

United States   
For me steam locomotives are living breathing beings to be cared for. It started when I was about 6 years old and my Father got me a ride in a steam locomotive cab with the fireman and engineering showing me everything. I got the steam train disease.

At 8 I got my first train layout a 4 x 8 foot green board with Lionel trains. A steam freight, and a diesel passenger train. I learned respect for my equipment from this.

Next about 12 years of age, I think, I got my Marklin start with an early 50's heavy steamer (2-10-0) and a crocodile. Both had been in storage for so long they had some zinc rash, so I gave them new skin(paint) over the rash.

My trains got packed away from college through raising a family(still dreaming of a layout and buying more equipment)

We now have a house with everything for living on the ground floor and I got a TRAIN ROOM up stairs! I have a room 17'(5.2M) x 16'(4.9M) about and I have built a modular 4'(1.2M) x 4'(1.2M) squares, to a total of 12'(3.7M) x 12'(3.7M) table. So far I have created 10+ layout renditions for my table, unfortunately what my mind see's and what I design have yet to come together.

I truly enjoy repairing, upgrading, and building MY WORLD(not there yet, a true work in progress) but as I retired at 70 last year I have the time to work on it. I just pray god gives me time to complete it.

Best wishes to all and thanks to all for the help I have received,
William Henry "Woody" WoodwardLove Smile ThumpUp
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by W3Machinist
Offline hxmiesa  
#13 Posted : 11 February 2019 10:15:39(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Playing with Märklin since I was 8 years old.
For me it has primarily been fascination with modelism and miniatures. I can stare at models and dioramas endlessly.
Unfortunatly my own abilites of building something beautiful are rather limited, but I try, and can usually get results that are "OK". -at least to me.

But it takes too long.

"It takes too long", because the OTHER thing that I like about building train layouts, is to go BIGGER EVERY TIME!
Bigger and more complicated. More ambitious. Always optimizing and exploring all posibilities in a given space.
I´m now on my 4th layout, and it´s now in a room of 30m2 dedicated exclusively to the train. (You can even say that this particular HOUSE was bought with the layout in mind!)
Now, a densely optimized track-plan in a 30m2 room is quite a big deal, and the whole thing represents a huge amount of work.
Howver, instead of working on teh decoration, most time is currently spend just watching the trains go by.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Levent  
#14 Posted : 11 February 2019 14:13:15(UTC)
Levent

Denmark   
Its kind of hard to explain but it has been a passion since i was a little kid
It could also be a untreatable diseaseBigGrin
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Levent
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 11 February 2019 18:27:48(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
For me, they are the reason I am still here above the dirt, according to my therapist. I am autistic, but was not formally diagnosed till I was into adulthood. But struggled with extreme bullying and suicide thru my teen years. But when I got stressed and overwhelmed, I could retreat to my model train world(my safe place) to get thru those tough times and not go thru with ending my life. My model trains and have many of them, are my primary tool to survive living on the spectrum as a adult. While the socializing part of going to train shows and meet ups to run my G scale live steamers is overwhelming for me, I enjoy it way to much to be a hermit and stay at home. After starting with mostly Lionel trains(most common here in the USA), I shifted to LGB and European meter gauge after getting a starter set from my German relatives upon thier return from a trip to the home country. I got into Marklin in my late 20's. I still do both, Marklin HO and a bit of Gauge 1(mostly Maxi items) and my LGB narrow gauge trains. So for me, model trains are the farthest thing from pointless, they are/were literally difference between life and death for many years and now are important to my mental stability. Mike the Aspie

Hi Mike.

For me too , my trains have always been a psychologically "safe place" albeit for different reasons , as I moved from childhood to adulthood, then the latter with "retirement" added as a qualifier.
Spending life as an engineer solving problems cannot just come to a "dead stop" simply because of going into retirement.
I was told that keeping the brains challenged and stimulating the imagination are the best preventions for old age brains decay.

Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline artfull dodger  
#16 Posted : 11 February 2019 18:45:56(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
That and not spending to much time in the one's chair sitting on our arse. Staying active, both mentally and physically is very important thru our whole lives. But as was posted before my first post, its the escape from reality, and for someone on the autism spectrum that can be a hostile and confusing place. Where as the world in miniature with my trains was a safe place, with everything in order. Like right now, I have my Marklin Maxi UP F units with 2 freight cars and the caboose circling on the overhead loop in the living room as I type this. I glance at it from time to time, admiring the Mars light circuit I added to it, listening to the wheels click over the rail joints. Thinking I really need to get the Chessie System decals and finish the custom repaint of the non powered unit(my wife's fav railway with its cat logo). Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline rbw993  
#17 Posted : 11 February 2019 19:21:37(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
So if a model train layout has 1 or more turnouts it definitely has a point.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline jvuye  
#18 Posted : 11 February 2019 20:12:11(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post

Good one!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline lewistrain  
#19 Posted : 12 February 2019 10:23:06(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Levent Go to Quoted Post
Its kind of hard to explain but it has been a passion since i was a little kid
It could also be a untreatable diseaseBigGrin

It is absolutely a untreatable disease.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by lewistrain
Offline NS1200  
#20 Posted : 12 February 2019 12:05:17(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
The only difference between men and boys is the value of their toys.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline river6109  
#21 Posted : 12 February 2019 13:47:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
When you're young you get all these extreme ideas of doing something and mine was to buy a 40 ha property and make it into s theme park with a model train layout but guess what this dream never eventuated except the model train layout, at the time my business was able to support such extravagance but than things started to change business wise and otherwise but 2 important points stayed with me, my wife and my layout,
over the years it became a white elephant but just to let it go I couldn't do it, so its been on my back since than (approx 36 years) and since my retirement and the extension of the garage has taken most of my free time., I always have been active so it was relaxing thinking I'll never get bored, I don't drink or smoke and this gives me another advantage one knows and is alert what goes on around you but it has taking its toll over the last 2 years with a never ending workload and it looks like we are at least a year away before I could confidently say, I've achieved my goal (which wasn't in my thoughts with sound decoders, high efficiency motors, ball bearings and Led' and the ever changing electronic technology) creating braking modules and opto couplers., with gardening I'll get a lot of satisfaction and it is also relaxing but there is a limit how many weeds you can remove in a day when you're 74 years old and I don't think Peter or Paul in Heaven will commend on the good work I've done because these weeds are back next year at the double rate.
One project we're almost finished and this was reconstructing the layout to a simpler formation with less turnouts (originally there was about 200), my son made the recommendation and this refurbishment alone took about 10 years and is still ongoing (HOe).
although a lot of changes had been made to the layout and there is a lot of room for trains but I don't have a shadow fiddle yard and it would have been impossible having a module layout this would have been viable., in the last 34 years my collection of locos and carriages has increased and this means I need more room which I haven't on the layout, so for instance I want to run Swiss or BLS trains I have to get rid of all the other trains on the layout and this is not a choice I would like to continue of doing because every time you handle a loco there is the risk something will come off or you damage something and this brings me back to my previous post, maintenance and fixing things will be here for ever and most probably at a high rate I didn't anticipate.
As much as you may admire my layout don't go down my path and if you do make sure its bigger than mine

John

Edited by user 13 February 2019 01:57:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Elsleuth1  
#22 Posted : 12 February 2019 14:37:30(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
About 25 years ago Dr. Thomas Catherall, Märklin Digital Consultant in the USA, constructed a layout for Allied Trains in Los Angeles. It was totally automated Marklin with signals, trees, trains and buildings. It also had two Fleischmann cog railroad cars going up and down a mountain. When I could, I went back to see the layout. I was mesmerized. It was a world I could control. One day I went to see it and found it had disappeared. I was later surprised to find out it was bought by a UCLA professor.

From that day to this I have wanted to construct an automated Marklin layout with cool looking locomotives and cars running around a richly decorated environment. I bought a simple starter set and ran it with my elementary school students. The modular layout sat on 5 tables. Each summer I'd cram the tables into my 1982 Honda hatchback and run them to school. I set up the tables and track and let the students add buildings, trees, people and make it theirs. The children were very respectful of the expensive locomotives. We had two independent circuits so the trains couldn't collide. After retirement I permanently installed everything in a dedicated room in my home. It took me all these years but I now have five trains running automatically around my 95 square foot layout. Recently I added MSD decoders and 5 pole motors to my favorite locos. I love watching the trains dance around the layout, listening to the chuffing steam locomotives and adding little touches here and there. But sometimes I wonder, is that UCLA professor still running that beautiful layout lovingly created by Dr Catherall?

Marklin Modular Layout
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Elsleuth1
Offline Franklin  
#23 Posted : 12 February 2019 17:21:13(UTC)
Franklin

United Kingdom   
What's the point?

To escape the real world. In a place where I have control - until things go wrong hahaha! While the process feeds my addictive personality. All while I attempt to curate a small vision of a world which has disappeared.

And, to confirm that I am not alone !!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Franklin
Offline vgokhale  
#24 Posted : 12 February 2019 18:42:25(UTC)
vgokhale

United States   
I have marklin's since I was 12 yrs old. Started with Starter set them the old Externsion sets blue transformers. etc. I recently bought digital trains and a starter set. My kids don;t undersatnd why I keep watching my trains go around and around for hours !!!!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by vgokhale
Offline TEEWolf  
#25 Posted : 12 February 2019 21:51:16(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: vgokhale Go to Quoted Post
I have marklin's since I was 12 yrs old. Started with Starter set them the old Externsion sets blue transformers. etc. I recently bought digital trains and a starter set. My kids don;t undersatnd why I keep watching my trains go around and around for hours !!!!

Laugh Do you understand your kids, why they keep gazing on a small screen at a computer to see where somebody or something only goes piff-paff-puff for hours, only agile fingers needed to press buttons? Never stops, never break down, never needs any challenge to the brain!

A digital MRR is completely different, even meanwhile you have a computer screen as well where you gazing on it, sometimes. But then you need a brain.Laugh
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline river6109  
#26 Posted : 13 February 2019 01:53:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Elsleuth1 wrote: I love watching the trains dance around the layout, listening to the chuffing steam locomotives and adding little touches here and there.

in this case you better put new rubber tyres onto your wheels. LOL

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline river6109  
#27 Posted : 13 February 2019 01:59:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

do you mean a point of interest ? BigGrin
Offline rbw993  
#28 Posted : 13 February 2019 18:35:25(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
That too!
Offline DigitalNZ  
#29 Posted : 15 February 2019 09:50:08(UTC)
DigitalNZ

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Franklin Go to Quoted Post
In a place where I have control

I know that feeling... I wish I had more control over the trains I took to work every day.

When it happens a few hundred meters away from where I live, it takes a couple days to fix. When it happens on my layout, it takes me a couple of seconds to fix via the hand of God. BigGrin

To be fair to our infrastructure, it was 28C that afternoon...

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DigitalNZ
Offline kiwiAlan  
#30 Posted : 15 February 2019 12:17:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: DigitalNZ Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Franklin Go to Quoted Post
In a place where I have control

I know that feeling... I wish I had more control over the trains I took to work every day.

When it happens a few hundred meters away from where I live, it takes a couple days to fix. When it happens on my layout, it takes me a couple of seconds to fix via the hand of God. BigGrin

To be fair to our infrastructure, it was 28C that afternoon...

Woa, i wouldn't want to be the driver of that! Your whole life would be flowing through your mind thinking the loco is going to end up on its side!

Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared
Offline river6109  
#31 Posted : 15 February 2019 13:18:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I've been telling people for years: don't take a short cut

John
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline YannisB  
#32 Posted : 11 May 2019 18:07:00(UTC)
YannisB

United States   
Well... besides of the satisfaction of my creative and technical mind, we get to this age at which it is all about this:

IMG_5427.JPG

The happiness of watching your grandkids’ happiness!

Yannis
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by YannisB
Offline Webmaster  
#33 Posted : 11 May 2019 20:26:57(UTC)
Webmaster

My test oval is pointless, as it turns out... BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline dominator  
#34 Posted : 12 May 2019 04:43:01(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
WHATS WRONG WITH WATCHING FISH IN YOUR FISHTANKS. I DO THAT TOO.
Trains help to keep your grand daughters happy [ well for a short while anyway. ]
A couple of weeks ago, while playing, the 5 year old started switching other locos going with the MS2, and next thing I see the 3125 pushing the 37580 off the shunting track into the path of a bigger passenger loco. I pressed the stop button, she Pushed it a gain and we too-ed and fro-ed until I must have raised my voice in panic mode. a few minutes later she walks out of the train room, then back after a few seconds and says "grand dad, you'r rude" then leaves again. o h well , she gets that from her mom when she interrupts conversations. She still asks to play with the trains like her 2 1/2 year old sister.
Dereck

Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Jabez  
#35 Posted : 13 May 2019 00:54:43(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Multum in parvo

The Romans didn't have model trains but they had a perfect phrase for the delight they bring
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline river6109  
#36 Posted : 13 May 2019 04:06:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
it is pointless to leave an electrical short unattended but somebody has to stop the train going round and round, round.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#37 Posted : 13 May 2019 04:08:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DigitalNZ Go to Quoted Post
When it happens a few hundred meters away from where I live.......

Ah, the dangers of using 360mm curves on a 1:1 train set.....

Offline midwestbls  
#38 Posted : 13 May 2019 17:41:42(UTC)
midwestbls

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Elsleuth1 wrote: I love watching the trains dance around the layout, listening to the chuffing steam locomotives and adding little touches here and there.

in this case you better put new rubber tyres onto your wheels. LOL

John

When my kids were little I had a simple large, double-track oval. It was the beginning of a simple modular club layout (two long straights built on top of hollow-core doors & 4 wide corners), but it lived in my basement! Before there was any scenery or catenary, just tracks, my end of day stress relive was to just go down stairs and watch 'em run around. My kids called it, "Whirring"! As in, "Where's Daddy?" "He's downstairs whirring!"

I miss that! I have delusions of layout grandeur and now only time and space for temporary dining room table-top bahns, but my goal is to at least get back to a permanent-temporary set of cheap doors on stands with a couple parallel C-tracks, a long "station" area and a little staging siding area - scenery unnecessary for the therapeutic effect!

- Bill
ETE - Swiss Era III - BLS - Brig Station
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by midwestbls
Offline David Dewar  
#39 Posted : 13 May 2019 17:59:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Other than my trains I like coming on to this site and listening to Goofy. That is certainly not pointless .. I think.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Purellum  
#40 Posted : 13 May 2019 19:05:31(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Other than my trains I like coming on to this site and listening to Goofy.That is certainly not pointless.. I think.

I'll give you two points for pointing out the pointless....... LOL

Per.

P.S: I wrote points, not pints !! Flapper

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline TEEWolf  
#41 Posted : 13 May 2019 19:36:48(UTC)
TEEWolf

Other than my trains I like coming on to this site and listening to Goofy. That is certainly not pointless .. I think.

Quote:
P.S: I wrote points, not pints !! Flapper

David, does the Scots offer Scotch in pints?Cool

Sounds as some people outside of Scotland are drinking Scotch per pints!Cool - pointless LOL

To your health!Cool Laugh
Offline Purellum  
#42 Posted : 13 May 2019 19:56:46(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

David, does the Scots offer Scotch in pints?Cool

Yes, and an original Scottish pint is three times bigger than an imperial pint. Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Sounds as some people outside of Scotland are drinking Scotch per pints!Cool - pointless LOL

To your health!Cool Laugh

A lot of things are still sold measured in pints - even milk LOL

You're just living in a pint-less country LOL

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline David Dewar  
#43 Posted : 13 May 2019 20:19:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Beer is served in pints. Whiskey in small (ish) glasses. Some pour their whiskey into their pint of beer.
I don't drink and drive ...other than when driving Marklin trains.

We always have a drink before going out to catch a haggis.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Webmaster  
#44 Posted : 13 May 2019 21:06:31(UTC)
Webmaster

Several candidates for the Pinterest community here, as I see.... BigGrin LOL LOL LOL
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Purellum  
#45 Posted : 13 May 2019 21:38:35(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Several candidates for the Pinterest community here, as I see.... BigGrin LOL LOL LOL

Ohhhh yes, it's always Pinteresting whenever beer is involved........ LOL

It started more than 50 years ago:

UserPostedImage

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline dickinsonj  
#46 Posted : 14 May 2019 01:39:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

And even that can be dangerous, or so I have heard. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline cookee_nz  
#47 Posted : 14 May 2019 12:30:27(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Beer is served in pints. Whiskey in small (ish) glasses. Some pour their whiskey into their pint of beer.

We always have a drink before going out to catch a haggis.

When I was a wee nipper (well, pre-teen anyway), my oldest brother used to taunt me that Milk and Elephants come in Pints. I never got it much to the amusement of our Dad and other brother.

It was some years before the penny dropped Blushing
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline rbw993  
#48 Posted : 14 May 2019 20:10:16(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
What do you use to catch a haggis, a snipe net or something bigger?
Offline Jabez  
#49 Posted : 14 May 2019 21:16:56(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I believe they are driven into a gorse thicket, and then when cornered, beaten to death with an iron flail. This method of dispatch tenderizes them for future consumption.Drool
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline David Dewar  
#50 Posted : 14 May 2019 23:32:45(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
What do you use to catch a haggis, a snipe net or something bigger?

Difficult to catch unless they are running uphill. The reason being they have long front legs and short back legs for running fast down hill. Although slower going up hill ...so am I. Best thing is to go to a haggis farm.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar