Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#51 Posted : 15 May 2019 01:31:42(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
I believe they are driven into a gorse thicket, and then when cornered, beaten to death with an iron flail. This method of dispatch tenderizes them for future consumption.Drool

Sounds like how we do politics here in the US. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Bones  
#52 Posted : 17 July 2019 14:36:07(UTC)
Bones

Australia   

I, my brother and his brother in law all have model trains

My father worked for the NSW government railways from the age of fifteen and we always travelled by train because we never had a car most of the time

My brother in law simply liked trains and it has allowed him to use his electrical knowledge to run trains fully automatically using discarded 24v relays he got from telstra or what used
to telecom

He's an electrical genius and builds all his own power contollers but not the supplies
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bones
Offline PhillipL  
#53 Posted : 24 July 2019 01:49:50(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
After spending a work week testing software, reading technical documentation and dealing with a nasty commute, my little BR 89 (30000) and BR 81 take me back to a simpler and relaxing world!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PhillipL
Offline dickinsonj  
#54 Posted : 24 July 2019 01:56:46(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: PhillipL Go to Quoted Post
After spending a work week testing software, reading technical documentation and dealing with a nasty commute, my little BR 89 (30000) and BR 81 take me back to a simpler and relaxing world!

Oh, so you live in my world too. Cool

Some people ask why I prioritize the mechanical beauty of my trains over the software possibilities which digital control provides? Because I do software all week long and my trains are my escape from that digital world into something real and something that I can actually see and control. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline TEEWolf  
#55 Posted : 24 July 2019 15:36:13(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PhillipL Go to Quoted Post

Oh, so you live in my world too. Cool

Some people ask why I prioritize the mechanical beauty of my trains over the software possibilities which digital control provides? Because I do software all week long and my trains are my escape from that digital world into something real and something that I can actually see and control. Cool

Well indeed, digital world is software, trains are hardware. Software does not help when we are starving, hardware helps.
Offline mike c  
#56 Posted : 24 July 2019 16:42:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DigitalNZ Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Franklin Go to Quoted Post
In a place where I have control

I know that feeling... I wish I had more control over the trains I took to work every day.

When it happens a few hundred meters away from where I live, it takes a couple days to fix. When it happens on my layout, it takes me a couple of seconds to fix via the hand of God. BigGrin

To be fair to our infrastructure, it was 28C that afternoon...

I think this post is getting a little off track LOL

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Jabez  
#57 Posted : 25 July 2019 17:12:48(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Never mind. It's a nice picture of gneiss in the foregroundBlushing
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline kiwiAlan  
#58 Posted : 25 July 2019 18:22:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
Never mind. It's a nice picture of gneiss in the foregroundBlushing

Had to look that one up - ain't Google grand ... ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

That is what comes of living on a join between two seismic plates ... no that doesn't appear to have caused the derailment ...

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline quarkhirad  
#59 Posted : 08 September 2019 23:16:17(UTC)
quarkhirad

India   
Well i have loved trains for the beauty and yes i agree it takes you to a different world altogether . I know some people think i am crazy for spending soooooooo much money on Marklin trains but i love it. I still remember every day i would come back from school and start playing. i made a layout 2.4 X 1.2 meters. Off course i only have analog stuff . So designing the layout then breaking the layout into section for control. Routing all the wiring for the points and crossing. Then i designed the catenary system. Then designing the landscaping ( i made all buildings etc using something made in India that is similar to lego). Doing the wiring for the lights in the station, houses etc. I dont have any signals so i missed that. Further, once i finished the making the layout . i just loved playing with it . Doing shunting operations, running a passenger train around the the layout . i love it. it is just so much fun and yes like a 6 year old kid i would hate it when my mom called me for dinner or said it was time to start studying. I literally have had fightss with her, she has grounded me (can you imagine my punishment was i couldnt touch my train set for 3 DAYs. I think it felt like 3 months).

I dont know i have so much fun that once i get on my feet and have enough savings i want to work for Miniature wonderland or some of the guys in india in model rail road. I had to stop because i went university and we shifted into a smaller house so now since 2010 sept i havent played with my train set. Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying

Any in the last one 6 years i have saved money and so now i am starting to buy stuff. In fact just in july this year i bought my first digital set a Marklin starter kit . I still remember i got it delivered to my office as i stay alone and hence home is locked most of the time. I actually wanted to open the box in office i had extremely hard time controlling myself . In towards the end of the day i had it on my lap like a baby. I reached home and the first thing i did was to open it and then i set it up and started playing with like a 6 year old i was jumping around . i went on playing with it till like 2 am in the night and i couldn't sleep.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by quarkhirad
Offline river6109  
#60 Posted : 09 September 2019 11:15:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, well we're back from our holiday and my son, (part of buying a few locos) is working on the layouts braking system with some good result, some excellent result and some only God would know the answer and he isn't around very often.
My self made braking and opto coupler modules have been part of the problem but also I've been telling my son to turn of the power while working with these modules., what my son doesn't realize by leaving the power on he could damage some of modules and by doing this he is going around circles, one minute the opto coupler is not working the other minute the braking modules doesn't work although they were all working perfectly before.
I'm still working on the Railjet and making some progress, only another 3 cars to go.
I'm not enjoying fixing modules which operated perfectly before but I can't do it all by myself so a helping hand is always appreciated, he'll get it right in the end because of his stubbornness and determination, like his father.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline David Dewar  
#61 Posted : 09 September 2019 12:22:15(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
John. Will your son be taking over the orange wire business ?

The wonder of model rail. I am thinking of buying a PIKO loco (only because Marklin does not make the model)
Will it work and will I be able to programme it etc with my CS3... the excitement will build to fever pitch when the box arrives. I am really just a big kid.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#62 Posted : 09 September 2019 12:32:18(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

The wonder of model rail. I am thinking of buying a PIKO loco (only because Marklin does not make the model)
Will it work and will I be able to programme it etc with my CS3... the excitement will build to fever pitch when the box arrives. I am really just a big kid.

David

I purchased some Piko coaches and bought one of their upgrades for the rear lighting. It included a slider and full instructions. It works perfectly on my Marklin layout so you should be fine. Which loco is it?

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline river6109  
#63 Posted : 09 September 2019 13:06:26(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square

I've got 2 Piko locos and have no problems with them, some say Piko is rubbish but I haven't had any problems as yet and I can't see where this rumour came from.

If my son is going to take over the orange wire business I think he would have to get used to other colours first.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline michelvr  
#64 Posted : 09 September 2019 14:39:30(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Did you gentlemen mention Piko?

I thought that if you mentioned another brand of model trains on this forum, fire and brimstone would rain down on the post as a reply?

Someone must surly like Piko! BigGrin

Please note this reply is baited to get some laughs! Laugh

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline David Dewar  
#65 Posted : 09 September 2019 16:02:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post

David

I purchased some Piko coaches and bought one of their upgrades for the rear lighting. It included a slider and full instructions. It works perfectly on my Marklin layout so you should be fine. Which loco is it?

Hi David. Piko is V200 59715. Marklin has similar but the Piko price is good and worth getting even if just to see how it runs.
I have some Piko coaches which are fine.

Just to show I am not going off the rails I am waiting on some new Marklin items coming onto stock before ordering.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline TEEWolf  
#66 Posted : 09 September 2019 16:09:12(UTC)
TEEWolf

David I did it already. I bought the Piko 51647

https://www.haertle.de/M...+AC+digital+Spur+H0.html

No problem registering at my CS 3+, running smoothly and nice, so far so good. After a while it suddenly smashed with its slider to the heart at 2 turnouts. Turnouts which were passed before by the loco hassle-free. I do not know why it changed and I have to investigate the cause. Perhaps I shall change the slider underneath. But did not find out yet, which one I shall replace instead.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf