Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2019 23:37:16(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I’ve just found these two items, but there’s very little on them, such as minimum radius. These look much more of a simple design unlike the very complicated Marklin TGV sets. But they may just have DC wheel sets and a slider with the problems of gauge as these wheel sets may have problems over K track points?

http://www.gaugemaster.c...mp;OB=&currentpage=1
I’m interested in finding more about them, if anyone knows.
Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2019 23:42:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have a whole bunch of Jouef wagons that work fine on my C-track layout. I have not needed to change the wheelsets.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mmervine  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2019 02:54:49(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
These are improved models based off of the Lima TGV (new generation) molds from 1990's. I would guess that you are correct that they have DC wheels with a slider.

I have converted many of the original Lima TGV (new generation) versions by adding a Marklin slider. Lima originally offered a few of these in AC versions and the front boogie has provisions for adding a slider. I used either a Lokpilot or Loksound for the driving car (M1) and a Lokpilot FX to switch the lights in the false driving car (M2). I also added some weight to each of the center cars (R1-R8).

I can't speak to K track, but I have not had any issues operating these on C track. The end cars (R1/R8) are longer than the middle cars (R2-R7) and will look and operate best on R2 or greater.

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 03 May 2019 07:15:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I bought the Lima Expert RABe 503 (ETR 610) and had it converted by the dealer. I took a look at the interior and I was not impressed by the design of the circuits and electronics.
I bought the twin set of Rivarossi BLS Re 4/4s a few years back and one of them had a short between the decoder and the circuit board, which I fixed.
I don't know how reliable these models are in long term use, as I have not used mine very much.

https://www.hornby.com/u...vi-ac-digital-sound.html

I could not find any information as to whether the model will have current conducting couplers, optional interior lights and power selection from the leading power unit.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline danmarklinman  
#5 Posted : 03 May 2019 09:20:41(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I bought the Lima Expert RABe 503 (ETR 610) and had it converted by the dealer. I took a look at the interior and I was not impressed by the design of the circuits and electronics.
I bought the twin set of Rivarossi BLS Re 4/4s a few years back and one of them had a short between the decoder and the circuit board, which I fixed.
I don't know how reliable these models are in long term use, as I have not used mine very much.

https://www.hornby.com/u...vi-ac-digital-sound.html

I could not find any information as to whether the model will have current conducting couplers, optional interior lights and power selection from the leading power unit.

Regards

Mike C

It all looks a bit vague from Hornby. I will need to see them running.?before I make up my mind.
Do your BLS ac locos run ok? Since Jouef and Riverossi are all designed by the same people. Thanks Dan
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline danmarklinman  
#6 Posted : 03 May 2019 09:24:01(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I have a whole bunch of Jouef wagons that work fine on my C-track layout. I have not needed to change the wheelsets.

Thanks Ray. Yes the wagons I know will be fine. But the power car might not. I might just weight for a Marklin one. Unfortunately I can’t make up s five car set, just a four or a six.
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline IanC  
#7 Posted : 03 May 2019 12:14:39(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Hi Dan,

I notice Rivarossi are doing the Big Boy. It would probably be worth them doing a 3 rail ac version too.

We must get together again with Max for a pint at the Railway Inn sometime.

Best wishes

ianC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline danmarklinman  
#8 Posted : 03 May 2019 12:44:30(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dan,

I notice Rivarossi are doing the Big Boy. It would probably be worth them doing a 3 rail ac version too.

We must get together again with Max for a pint at the Railway Inn sometime.

Best wishes

ianC

Yes of course, or at my house👍
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 03 May 2019 17:19:45(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post

It all looks a bit vague from Hornby. I will need to see them running.?before I make up my mind.
Do your BLS ac locos run ok? Since Jouef and Riverossi are all designed by the same people.
Thanks Dan

I set up and ran the ETR 610 for a few laps on my oval. The same for the Rivarossi BLS Re 4/4 set.
The BLS brownies were from the second batch. The first being the single lok with the crest of "Grenchen". The twin set was then released with one BLS and one BN Lok. The two are designed to be used as a multiple unit. In order to use the loks independently, you have to change dip pins on the PC board.
Seeing that the loks (AC) are equipped with ESU decoders, the light settings could have been left to the decoder and made the circuit board changes unnecessary.

Mechanically, they run fine.

The newly released models are supposed to be improvements over the earlier models.
I have since bought the two new Roco models, so those will handle the individual operations and the Rivarossi set will run as a pair.

Compared to LSM, Roco, Maerklin and other brands, the Hornby models seem rather "rough" in electronic conception. The PC boards are not as clean and don't seem to be as modern. As far as exterior fit and finish, they look fine.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline danmarklinman  
#10 Posted : 03 May 2019 17:44:08(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post

Do your BLS ac locos run ok? Since Jouef and Riverossi are all designed by the same people.
Thanks Dan

I set up and ran the ETR 610 for a few laps on my oval. The same for the Rivarossi BLS Re 4/4 set.
The BLS brownies were from the second batch. The first being the single lok with the crest of "Grenchen". The twin set was then released with one BLS and one BN Lok. The two are designed to be used as a multiple unit. In order to use the loks independently, you have to change dip pins on the PC board.
Seeing that the loks (AC) are equipped with ESU decoders, the light settings could have been left to the decoder and made the circuit board changes unnecessary.

Mechanically, they run fine.

The newly released models are supposed to be improvements over the earlier models.
I have since bought the two new Roco models, so those will handle the individual operations and the Rivarossi set will run as a pair.

Compared to LSM, Roco, Maerklin and other brands, the Hornby models seem rather "rough" in electronic conception. The PC boards are not as clean and don't seem to be as modern. As far as exterior fit and finish, they look fine.

Regards

Mike C

Thanks Mike. Is that c track your using of K? And do the run through points ok. Dan
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan