Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2019 02:27:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The new editions of the Roco SBB EWII have hit the stores this week. So far, the models of the EWII A (74560) and EWII AB (74561) have been released. The pair of EWII B (74562/74563) and EWII D (Baggage) should be released during week 15, which according to my calculations is this week.

The new models have more details on the gold coloured door inserts, including the rubber seal in the middle and the silver coloured handle.
The handrails seem to be the same as on the most recent versions of the 44495/44496 and the 64630/64631 models.
The roofs are painted silver and have the ventilators installed at the factory. Unlike the original 4328S/4239S, which had the ventilator as a user installed part.
I can't comment on the footboards based on the photos provided by Roco or on the web.
The footboards of the gangway connectors appear to be once again functional. On many Roco models over the past few years, the two part gangway was replaced by a single part that did not fold down.
Hopefully the models will include both sets of washroom fittings. On some of the earlier models (64630/31/32/33), the interior had one washroom removed, which was modified for the Papagei livery to make room for a bike rack. That design did not match the earlier green livery, which these new models once again represent.

74560: https://www.roco.cc/en/p...-0-0-003-1/products.html
74561: https://www.roco.cc/en/p...-0-0-003-1/products.html

I was hoping for the following improvements:
1) Optional window insert with open windows
2) Improved interior details with headrests
3) Built-in taillights or mount for SBB taillight
4) Metal handrails (The solution does seem similar to the ones on the Piko EWI (see below))

I will have to wait and see whether the green corresponds to prototype and how these coaches fit next to other SBB models (Roco, Lima, Hag, LSM, Piko, etc)

Today, I also saw the first set of photos of the announced Piko EWI coaches (96782):
http://roundhouse.ch/Gra...ko/2019/Piko_96782-2.jpg
http://roundhouse.ch/Gra...ko/2019/Piko_96782-3.jpg
http://roundhouse.ch/Gra...ko/2019/Piko_96782-4.jpg

These models seem well done. The coach ends are prototypical and the rendering is much nicer (AFAICT) than the earlier Lima/Hag and more recent Liliput models.
Based on these photos, I have increased my order from one set of coaches to two. One set will be used with the second set to make up a 5 coach consist comprised of EWI A, EWI WR and three EWII B. The second pair of EWI B will be used with either my BDe 4/4 (Hag) or the coming RBe 4/4 (LS Models) along with a matching pilot coach. I also ordered a second set of coaches in the NPZ livery. Those coaches will run either with my Re 4/4II/RailTop BDt or with my Piko RBe 540 S-Bahn Set.

The older Lima coaches will probably be relegated to other uses and the Liliput models will likely be retired.

The LS Models WR (Restaurant) and pilot coach (ABt/BDt/Bt/Dt/DZt) models are scheduled for future production.

Regards,

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline waltklatt  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2019 15:30:23(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Mike,
I remember those cars when travelling with the family back in the 70's and 80's.
Still running around in Switzerland today.

I wonder if they Roco/Piko will include the small blade signs with the city names(destinations) for near the doors.
I see the 'bolts' for fastening them on the panels near the doors, but no signs.

If there is a decal or something, let me know.

Thanks,
Walter
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2019 16:55:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The original Roco models came with a sheet of decals. I don't recall any of the Hag, Lima or Liliput models coming with any decals. As far as the new Piko ones, I will check my RBe 540/BDt set to see if there were any decals included. I do not recall seeing any the first time I took them out of their box.

I would guess that anybody who wanted destination signs, the old Roco ones could probably be used, as well as the decals from Maerklin's light steel coach models.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2019 18:08:52(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was thinking about the Piko EWI coaches. From what I could remember, the handrails on the EWI coaches with <+> SBB CFF FFS markings were mounted on the inside of the doors. I don't recall there being handrails on the outside of the coach body. The coaches, at least some of them, did have external handrails on delivery (1959-1973). Photos of coaches with the old SBB + CFF markings have clearly visible handrails whereas most of the photos with the new logo do not have this feature.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2019 22:28:26(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was looking at the photos on the Roco.cc website for the new and original SBB EWII models and noticed one difference.
The new models 74560/61/62/63 appear to have a new interior compared to the originals.

The original models had a single piece interior, which was in either brown, grey or red or red and green, depending on the model.
The new model seems to have the red and green smoker and non-smoker sections, but has a new transparent dividing wall between the sections, as can be seen here:

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 4.11.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 4.10.52 PM.png

I have not seen any photos which show any improvements to the entry steps and the hand rails compared to the prior models.

Regards,

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 30 April 2019 17:11:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Somebody was nice enough to post a photo of the accessories bag on Drehscheibe Online, where you can see the modified entry steps and handrails:
https://www.directupload.../d/5437/7kxopdsa_jpg.htm

https://www.drehscheibe-...9456,8920546#msg-8920546

Thanks Andreas.

You can see the finely detailed perforated steps, which are more refined than the ones that have been used since the early 1980s. I think the first models were around 1978. My oldest ones date back to 1983-84.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 30 May 2019 01:39:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 30 May 2019 01:38:40(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was informed that most of my ordered Piko SBB EWI coach sets are now available. Both of the sets in the blue/white/yellow NPZ livery and the set with a pair of EWI B in green livery with the modern <+> SBB CFF FFS logo have been delivered from Piko/Arwico to Swiss dealers.
I ordered one each of the NPZ sets to have a four coach consist that I can run with one of my Re 4/4II (420) locomotives. I also ordered a second set consisting of an AB and B to run with my Piko RBe 540 and EWII BDt pilot coach. I also ordered the set of green coaches.
It should be a couple of weeks before they are in my hands and I will be able to give them a test run.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mario54i  
#8 Posted : 18 June 2019 13:41:28(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Piko EWI coaches arrived

regards
Offline rbw993  
#9 Posted : 18 June 2019 17:23:08(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Mine arrived last week. Haven't had a chance to run them yet. I took one out and it looks good. Detail looks finer than on my HAG versions.

Roger
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 28 June 2019 08:10:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I received my first batch of Piko EWI coaches. The first delivery consisted of the set with two EWI B (2nd Class) coaches in green with the <+>SBB CFF FFS markings and the set with a EWI AB (combined 1st/2nd Class) and a EWI B (2nd Class) in the blue, white and yellow NPZ livery. I am awaiting a further delivery with another set of each, plus the second NPZ set with a EWI A (first class) and additional EWI B. The fourth set consisting of a EWI A and EWI B in green along with a restaurant car is due later in the year.

So far, the models look top notch. The colour of the roof of the green models is less silver than I expected (based on photos). It is a little too glossy IMHO, but is not too far from the colour used by Lima and Hag for their models. The prototype had a more matte grey colour, which can be seen on most SBB coaches since the late 1970s.

The rendering of the model is very well done. The coaches look realistic for the period 1984-1993. At some point between the late 1980s and the early 1990s, the external handrails were removed and replaced with handrails mounted on the inside of the doors. The revision date for both green coaches in 1990.

I will unpack the NPZ models tomorrow morning and give them a run with the Piko RBe 540 that has been eagerly anticipating their arrival.

This means that the Liliput models will be downgraded to reserve in my collection. The Lima models and RailTop Pilot coach will continue to see use as a Pendelzug behind one of my Re 4/4IIs.

The green ones will most likely find a place alongside one of my green RailTop ABt Pilot (green or red front) coaches and one of my Maerklin Re 4/4Is.
The Maerklin lightsteel coaches will find themselves handling duties with my Hag BDe 4/4 Triebwagen.

Once I receive the additional models, one set (AB + B) will be running with the RBe 540 and the second set (4 cars) will be running with one of my Re 4/4IIs and a RailTop BDt pilot coach. The complete coach green consist will run with either a Re 4/4II or Re 6/6, possibly in combination with EWII or RIC coaches, depending on the type of train I want to model at that moment.

The older green Lima coaches will continue to see use as supplemental coaches on international trains as well as in combination with Roco and other coaches as desired.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 29 June 2019 17:52:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mario54i  
#11 Posted : 28 June 2019 21:25:45(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
The intermediate coaches for RBe540 arrived and it's time to insert lighting. Obviously I don't want to spend 20 € for each Piko lighting strip, so I made it.
I see that the original Piko lighting uses 0402 size warm white LEDs, so I bought these ones.
Not identical to Piko's but I like it. And in case I can replace the LEDs on the Piko board with mine, same size.
On the left the original Piko pilot coach, on the right the new one. Piko's LEDs are more yellowish.

Next step adding current conducting couplers. And then replacing the strange Piko function decoder in the pilot.
No NEM socket of any kind, it's connected to PCB through two tiny single-in-line plugs, all wires black.

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
and the second set (4 cars) will be running with one of my Re 4/4IIs and a Roco BDt pilot coach

Which one, the EW IV ?

Regards
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 29 June 2019 18:40:37(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Sorry, that was supposed to say RailTop BDt pilot coach. I have several of those. One will be running with a Roco EWII consist with the turquoise stripe and the second one will run with a Roco EWII IR consist, both behind Re 4/4IIs. The third one will be running in a NPZ/EWI Ersatzzug consist behind another Re 4/4II. I have Roco, Maerklin and Hag Re 4/4IIs at my disposal.

I will put lighting in the coaches for the RBe 540 consist. The ones for the Re 4/4II consist will probably not get lights installed (at this moment).

Regards

Mike C