Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dreadnought  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2018 15:54:36(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Herself and I spent a few days in Paris. As usual she did some damage to the credit cards, two weeks later they are still smouldering.

We stayed in a small flat on rue de Douai, off Place de Clichy. It is equidistant from Blanche. I was surprised to discover three second hand train stores in the one block. Herself says I picked that flat on purpose, not so, pure luck. All three had a large variety of locomotives and rolling stock from various manufacturers. All three had some Marklin. One seemed to lean more towards large gauge. All three were very cluttered, and difficult to prowl. Curiously the same man was prowling each as I was there. Listening to his conversation, I got the impression he is a professional buyer, on the lookout for special pieces.

On the south side, at 51 rue de Douai, is a shop, "Les Cheminots". It was run by an elderly gentleman. During the time I was there breathing on the glass he dealt with two people who came in to sell Marklin. My guess was that they were getting rid of stuff that had belonged to the older generation. One Item was a 44 class with two pickup shoes, so quite old. He was not impressed, whether as a buying tactic, or because there is a glut of used Marklin I do not know.

We got into a conversation. He was quite nice, though a bit gruff on first meeting. He indicated the prices were falling for used Marklin, indeed all trains. He bought little, unless it was in very good shape. He had a number of locomotives, freight cars, and carriages. He had a lot of M track. He had both Z and HO, though I did not see any large scale. (That was across the road). Marklin was but a small part of his stock. Some was very old O scale, quite possibly pre war.

I picked up a Marklin SNCF bagage car to go with my 241 class, and a TEE set, 3070 in the original box, I am debating converting it to digital, and looking for the intermediate car to complete the set.

They were fascinating shops to prowl, and I could have spent hours rummaging about. If any have time in Paris they are well worth a look.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Soest  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2018 20:27:40(UTC)
Soest

I visited "Les Cheminots" two years ago. I bought a 3034 and 7186, both with OVP and in excellent condition at very reasonable prices. If my wife had not been with me I might still be there.

Mike
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Soest
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2018 16:51:24(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Well known places.

Your observations are correct.
The 3 shops on the other side all belong to the same owners.
One is "collectors" focused, the next one is HO (mostly) and the third one is small scale (N and Z gauges)

I just hope you did not miss the Pullman, Rue d'Amsterdam just a couple of blocks further down!
*That* is a real Märklin store.

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Dreadnought  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2018 17:19:55(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Yes indeed, we got to Au Pullman. I now have the Marklin "Pullman" collector refrigerator car. Herself insisted on the "Paris" one too .I keep boasting of having the only ones in North America. Please, no one ruin my fantasy.

Herself fell in love with Z scale there. On return here I bought her a Z scale starter set. She is delighted, "So cute!!" I have created a delightful monster.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Soest  
#5 Posted : 18 July 2018 05:13:13(UTC)
Soest

I went to Au Pullman in 2010 and bought a very nice 3015 to replace the one I foolishly sold when I was a teenager - paid a bit more for the second one, I might add. You can tell that romance is gone when you go to Paris with your wife and come back with a vintage Marklin locomotive.

Mike
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Soest
Offline Dreadnought  
#6 Posted : 18 July 2018 14:57:39(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I would not say the romance is dead. It all works out in the end. Herself had but one regret, which was that I bought the 3070 TEE. She wanted to buy it for me. Mind you I had just bought her a pair of Louboutin shoes. Arguably she still owes me :) . Maybe the next time in Paris we will come out even.

I had the TEE upgraded with motor, and sound. It is superb. Now to find the intermediate car. Hopefully I will get to Eurospoor this year or next, and solve the problem.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Soest  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2018 19:40:01(UTC)
Soest

Helas! Fermeture permanents pour Les Cheminot. And I was planning a visit in April. Oh, well, I can probably find other distractions in Paris.

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Soest
Offline Thewolf  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2018 19:50:37(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Soest Go to Quoted Post
Helas! Fermeture permanents pour Les Cheminot. And I was planning a visit in April. Oh, well, I can probably find other distractions in Paris.

Mike

No problems Cool '' Moulin Rouge '' '' Lido de Paris '' etc..etc..Laugh Flapper

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Dreadnought  
#9 Posted : 31 December 2018 21:06:55(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Sad news. I am hoping to be there in March. I am sorry to miss the closing out sale. He had a huge stock of all kinds of HO.
As I recall he had very limited hours when I was there.
Paris is still a wonderful city. We spent hours just walking and exploring.
Hopefully the companion shops accros the road are still going strong
Offline Soest  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2019 18:02:40(UTC)
Soest

Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post

Mike

No problems Cool '' Moulin Rouge '' '' Lido de Paris '' etc..etc..Laugh Flapper

Thewolf

Rue de Douai is just a can-can from the Moulin Rouge. I celebrated my latest and last purchase from Les Cheminots with a coffee at the Starbucks at Place Pigalle, just across from the MR.

Mike
Offline Soest  
#11 Posted : 12 March 2019 17:21:00(UTC)
Soest

I see that Le Cheminot has been replaced by Paris Modelisme. I will be in Paris in three weeks and will check it out. Four train stores in one block - I don't know if I can take it, certainly my wife won't. This winter I have been seduced by Spur G, so I will be looking for big trains and metal Marklin buildings.

Mike
Offline Dreadnought  
#12 Posted : 13 March 2019 17:27:22(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Herself and I should be in Paris in a week or so. We plan to stay in the Montmartre area. It should be easy pass along Rue Douai and see what is happening. Likely herself will insist we go to Au Pullman to see if there is another “Paris” car to add to the collection.
I will report back.

D.
Offline Dreadnought  
#13 Posted : 27 March 2019 20:24:04(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
We arrived in Paris on the Thello night train from Venice. They unloaded us in Dijon. It was three hours by bus from Dijon to Paris, and four hours late in getting us to destination. I do not recommend it at all. By all means look at the old coaches. I think they were the old DB TEN stock. Go no further. Find other transportation between Paris and Venice. I shall say no more.

Today Herself and I did the train stores on rue de Douai. Les Cheminots is closed. The windows are covered with brown paper. Next door a new shop has opened, “Paris Modellisme”. It has some Marklin, but is mainly devoted to European, and particularly French trains. It is an excellent shop, though perhaps of limited interest to Marklin fans. The owners of it have taken over the location of Les Cheminots. The two stores are internally connected. According to the new owner old Cheminots will be dedicated to model cars.

Across the road there are two other shops. One is largely N scale. It did have some used Marklin. The owner said he got used Marklin, but that it always sold quickly. There were some used Marklin items in his window.

Next to it is a store which is largely O scale. You have to ring to be let in. It had some very old pieces, possibly pre war. I wondered if they were the ones that I saw in Les Cheminots last year. They did look familiar. The store was run by an elderly, (The term applies equally to me) , lady. I asked her about Marklin. This set her off on a tirade about how Marklin was protecting its captive market. The lecture went on for some time. We managed to escape without difficulty. She is a obviously not a Marklin fan.

We then went on to Au Pullman. They’ve have a good stock of Marklin. They also had some used Marklin, which I do not recall them having on my last visits. We spent a good amount of time browsing, but no purchases.

All stores are well worth a visit. The people are very knowledgeable. It is a fun way tp spend a good part of a day in Paris.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline PJMärklin  
#14 Posted : 28 March 2019 10:47:09(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
We arrived in Paris on the Thello night train from Venice. They unloaded us in Dijon. It was three hours by bus from Dijon to Paris, and four hours late in getting us to destination. I do not recommend it at all. By all means look at the old coaches. I think they were the old DB TEN stock. Go no further. Find other transportation between Paris and Venice. I shall say no more.

Today Herself and I did the train stores on rue de Douai. Les Cheminots is closed. The windows are covered with brown paper. Next door a new shop has opened, “Paris Modellisme”. It has some Marklin, but is mainly devoted to European, and particularly French trains. It is an excellent shop, though perhaps of limited interest to Marklin fans. The owners of it have taken over the location of Les Cheminots. The two stores are internally connected. According to the new owner old Cheminots will be dedicated to model cars.

Across the road there are two other shops. One is largely N scale. It did have some used Marklin. The owner said he got used Marklin, but that it always sold quickly. There were some used Marklin items in his window.

Next to it is a store which is largely O scale. You have to ring to be let in. It had some very old pieces, possibly pre war. I wondered if they were the ones that I saw in Les Cheminots last year. They did look familiar. The store was run by an elderly, (The term applies equally to me) , lady. I asked her about Marklin. This set her off on a tirade about how Marklin was protecting its captive market. The lecture went on for some time. We managed to escape without difficulty. She is a obviously not a Marklin fan.

We then went on to Au Pullman. They’ve have a good stock of Marklin. They also had some used Marklin, which I do not recall them having on my last visits. We spent a good amount of time browsing, but no purchases.

All stores are well worth a visit. The people are very knowledgeable. It is a fun way tp spend a good part of a day in Paris.

Hello Dread,

Thanks for your Paris shops review - I look forward to seeking them out when we are there in July.

I am so sorry to hear of your unfortunate journey from Venice to Paris. I have had great journeys TO Venice by rail from Vienna and within Italy but never trained FROM Venice - under which railway's auspices were you by the time you reached Dijon?

Regards,

PJ
Offline Dreadnought  
#15 Posted : 28 March 2019 11:04:31(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
PJ, Thank you for your kind words. The Venice to Paris was with an Italian company, Thello, who operate the night train. That I would avoid at all costs.
Our other trips have been with DB, and OBB. They were wonderful with excellent and very helpful staff. I have taken FS (Trenitalia) trains. They have been good too.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline jvuye  
#16 Posted : 28 March 2019 19:40:56(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
PJ, Thank you for your kind words. The Venice to Paris was with an Italian company, Thello, who operate the night train. That I would avoid at all costs.
Our other trips have been with DB, and OBB. They were wonderful with excellent and very helpful staff. I have taken FS (Trenitalia) trains. They have been good too.

Venice to Päris with your love?
VSOE!! Say no more
https://www.belmond.com/...-simplon-orient-express/

How would you dare do anything else?

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Dreadnought  
#17 Posted : 29 March 2019 16:59:36(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I feel the shame deeply. Herself thinks it was funny. It was my doing, against the advice of the travel agent.
Next time VSOP
Offline Soest  
#18 Posted : 26 October 2019 18:34:25(UTC)
Soest

Wife and I were in Paris this year for the first half of April. One of my first trips was to rue de Douai. Trainseurop is divided into small gauge, run by Madame and larger gauge, run by two gentlemen who suffered my bad French cheerfully. I bought two LGB and one Piko wagon to service my recent G scale affliction. There was some used Marklin, but nothing like the candy store that was Les Cheminots. Decotrain didn't seem to be operating and the new store, Paris Modelisme ou Miniaturisme was very nice, but not what I was looking for. I hauled my wife through the Quartier des Tissues in Monmartre, specifically so we could accidentally (?) pass through rue de Douai again on the way home. I suspect that she saw through my ruse. But I needed her to buy fabric to create credits for me to buy more trains.

Mike
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 26 October 2019 19:09:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
But I needed her to buy fabric to create credits for me to buy more trains.

Mike

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Noooooo!!! Surely not LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Dreadnought  
#20 Posted : 26 October 2019 21:24:49(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Soest,
You got off lightly!!!
I had to buy her z scale, (“ so cute”), then on
To Hermès then Louboutin. I consider you lucky
To get off lightly

We will be there during the first week of December
I shall report.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline cookee_nz  
#21 Posted : 27 October 2019 00:20:21(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Just one question, were the conversations in English or French. In other words, do/can the owners of these stores speak English?

Regrettably our experience in the few areas we visited, Paris, Bordeaux, Nimes was that English is treated with contempt even when those being spoken with 'could' speak quite acceptable English, they just would not.

Nadine is actually not too bad with her former high-school French, I was far more comfortable with German but we both had several instances of being treated very rudely when we simply asked if they speak English. If the answer was no we'd do our best with French but why risk bastardising their beautiful language if they know our English, better than we know their French.

And yet, the traders who did speak English could not have been more helpful and friendly and on a number of occasions agreed with us that many of their countrymen were not doing themselves any favours.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline PJMärklin  
#22 Posted : 27 October 2019 05:32:07(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Just one question, were the conversations in English or French. In other words, do/can the owners of these stores speak English?

Regrettably our experience in the few areas we visited, Paris, Bordeaux, Nimes was that English is treated with contempt even when those being spoken with 'could' speak quite acceptable English, they just would not.

Nadine is actually not too bad with her former high-school French, I was far more comfortable with German but we both had several instances of being treated very rudely when we simply asked if they speak English. If the answer was no we'd do our best with French but why risk bastardising their beautiful language if they know our English, better than we know their French.

And yet, the traders who did speak English could not have been more helpful and friendly and on a number of occasions agreed with us that many of their countrymen were not doing themselves any favours.

Hi Cookee,

My experience in visiting France over the last 32 years has been somewhat different.

I have always liked to try and use my poor French and German and my very bad Italian and Spanish when in Europe.

Indeed, I found in the first 5 to 10 of those years that in La France they were intolerant of my poor French and pretended they could not understand me. In the subsequent 27 years I found that (probably due to tourism) they have become much more indulgent of my use of French and indeed prefer one to engage with them firstup in French (particularly with their courtesy protocols) rather than straight-up asking them if they speak English. I think so long as you observe their lovely unique courtesies of personal interaction then they are much more tolerant. Indeed in the last 10 years of travel in Europe I have found to my frustration that those with whom I would like to speak in their language are more interested in trying their English with me!

Like you, last June/July we traveled through

Paris :

UserPostedImage

and Bordeaux :

UserPostedImage

and some time ago Nîmes :

UserPostedImage

but I found using the manner I described, the French were friendly and engaging.

(Just my experience)Wink

Regards,

Philip
Offline PJMärklin  
#23 Posted : 27 October 2019 05:43:05(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Wife and I were in Paris this year for the first half of April. One of my first trips was to rue de Douai. Trainseurop is divided into small gauge, run by Madame and larger gauge, run by two gentlemen who suffered my bad French cheerfully. I bought two LGB and one Piko wagon to service my recent G scale affliction. There was some used Marklin, but nothing like the candy store that was Les Cheminots. Decotrain didn't seem to be operating and the new store, Paris Modelisme ou Miniaturisme was very nice, but not what I was looking for. I hauled my wife through the Quartier des Tissues in Monmartre, specifically so we could accidentally (?) pass through rue de Douai again on the way home. I suspect that she saw through my ruse. But I needed her to buy fabric to create credits for me to buy more trains.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Last July I also did the rounds of these shops :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The proprietors were all fairly receptive.
Indeed at au Pullman we quickly found his English was very far better than my French !!

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Soest  
#24 Posted : 27 October 2019 17:51:47(UTC)
Soest

My experience has been similar to that of Philip with regard to French. I speak "Canuck" French which is naturally influenced by my proximity to Quebec, just across the river. Nevertheless I find that making an effort to speak French is generally appreciated and then sometimes followed by a switch to English, which may be a courtesy or a reaction to my bad French. In any event we are communicating amicably and that's what is important. The train emporia in the rue de Douai are not generally a tourist destination (except to the treasure seekers in this forum) so the proprietors' English is probably limited. However they are train enthusiasts so we all speak a common language. Dreadnought, have fun in Paris in December. I have been sorely tempted by the cheap air fares that have been posted recently.

Mike
Offline Soest  
#25 Posted : 27 October 2019 18:02:12(UTC)
Soest

Further on the subject of French and fabric shops in Paris wife and I were in one in the Marais that I had spotted through a court yard. It did produce some credits since she bought some lovely patterns which were made up during the summer. After awhile in a fabric store I get a bit fidgety. While my wife was paying for her purchases I found some size 20 knitting needles and remarked to no on in particular that "these aren't needles, they are stakes". What happened next was one of the highlights of my trip. A young demure lady behind the counter replied in perfect English, "We use them to stake vampires!". So I have this vision of a Gallic Buffy knitting by day and slaying by night.

Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Soest
Offline cookee_nz  
#26 Posted : 27 October 2019 19:50:13(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Further on the subject of French and fabric shops in Paris wife and I were in one in the Marais that I had spotted through a court yard. It did produce some credits since she bought some lovely patterns which were made up during the summer. After awhile in a fabric store I get a bit fidgety. While my wife was paying for her purchases I found some size 20 knitting needles and remarked to no on in particular that "these aren't needles, they are stakes". What happened next was one of the highlights of my trip. A young demure lady behind the counter replied in perfect English, "We use them to stake vampires!". So I have this vision of a Gallic Buffy knitting by day and slaying by night.

Mike

Lol that's funny. We had a couple of experiences like that also, sometimes when asking if they spoke English, the response would be very informal but good-natured, such as "Do your worst" or "bring it on", along those lines and it immediately put you at rest, as if not only did they know English, but knew how to use it, quite a difference 😀

The little things can make all the difference.

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Dreadnought  
#27 Posted : 28 October 2019 00:32:04(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I cannot comment on how the French react to English, as Herself and I are both fluently bi lingual. I have very little accent, and am usually taken for someone from some other part of France than the part I am in.

I lived in France as a child, and went to the French public schools for several years. We always used very elaborate forms of politeness when speaking with teachers, and adults. The French attach great importance to formalities in spoken French. Going into a shop you should say "Bonjour Madame", or " Bonjour Monsieur". You will hear someone entering a shop say, "Bonjour Messieurs - Dames" when there are several present. A simple Bonjour is curt, and a bit rude. Everyone should be addressed as Monsieur, or Madame. Until invited to do so, the formal Vous should be used rather than Tu.

As a child we lived on the corner of a busy intersection of three roads in Paris. We used to go to the window to watch for the inevitable rush hour collision. There would be lots of arguing, and even name calling, but always with "Monsieur", or "Madame", and addressing each other as Vous. Using Tu was like pouring gasoline on a fire. Indeed, I cannot recall it ever happening.

I once told my hosts, in the south of France, that no one had captured the concept of "Douceur de vivre" like the French. This was after a four hour lunch, in the shade of a large tree, with quantities of lovely rosé wine. I was immediately accepted as as a man of culture and discernment. They then proceeded to criticize France and their fellow French with a harshness I would never have dared.

Younger French people are very keen to learn English. The are delighted to practice whenever they can. There is always a fascination with North America, and once they are comfortable you can expect many questions.

This can be hard for North Americans to understand. We simply say "Hi", and have fulfilled our norms of politeness.

Perhaps some of our French members might care to comment.

D
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Soest  
#28 Posted : 28 October 2019 15:58:43(UTC)
Soest

Another feature of Gallic or perhaps Parisien culture is a fondness for argumentation. I was working at a trade show at the Parc des Expositions in Paris. Accompanied by the Commercial Officer of the Canadian Embassy, who is a French national, it was necessary to enter the Parc, by a service entrance before the show started. Yannick, my colleague was driving and he pointed out to me a uniformed guard at the gate. He said that he would speak to the guard and after a brief period of argumentation, we would be allowed to pass. He left the car and the scene unfolded exactly as he predicted with a flurry arm waving. He then returned to the car and we proceeded through the gate with a cheerful wave from the guard. He seemed to have fulfilled the cultural requirement and all was well. As Canadians always seem to be apologizing to people, even when they win the US Open Tennis Tournament, I found this quite amusing. Isn't travel fun?

Mike