Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dreadnought  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2018 15:54:36(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Herself and I spent a few days in Paris. As usual she did some damage to the credit cards, two weeks later they are still smouldering.

We stayed in a small flat on rue de Douai, off Place de Clichy. It is equidistant from Blanche. I was surprised to discover three second hand train stores in the one block. Herself says I picked that flat on purpose, not so, pure luck. All three had a large variety of locomotives and rolling stock from various manufacturers. All three had some Marklin. One seemed to lean more towards large gauge. All three were very cluttered, and difficult to prowl. Curiously the same man was prowling each as I was there. Listening to his conversation, I got the impression he is a professional buyer, on the lookout for special pieces.

On the south side, at 51 rue de Douai, is a shop, "Les Cheminots". It was run by an elderly gentleman. During the time I was there breathing on the glass he dealt with two people who came in to sell Marklin. My guess was that they were getting rid of stuff that had belonged to the older generation. One Item was a 44 class with two pickup shoes, so quite old. He was not impressed, whether as a buying tactic, or because there is a glut of used Marklin I do not know.

We got into a conversation. He was quite nice, though a bit gruff on first meeting. He indicated the prices were falling for used Marklin, indeed all trains. He bought little, unless it was in very good shape. He had a number of locomotives, freight cars, and carriages. He had a lot of M track. He had both Z and HO, though I did not see any large scale. (That was across the road). Marklin was but a small part of his stock. Some was very old O scale, quite possibly pre war.

I picked up a Marklin SNCF bagage car to go with my 241 class, and a TEE set, 3070 in the original box, I am debating converting it to digital, and looking for the intermediate car to complete the set.

They were fascinating shops to prowl, and I could have spent hours rummaging about. If any have time in Paris they are well worth a look.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Soest  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2018 20:27:40(UTC)
Soest

I visited "Les Cheminots" two years ago. I bought a 3034 and 7186, both with OVP and in excellent condition at very reasonable prices. If my wife had not been with me I might still be there.

Mike
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Soest
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2018 16:51:24(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Well known places.

Your observations are correct.
The 3 shops on the other side all belong to the same owners.
One is "collectors" focused, the next one is HO (mostly) and the third one is small scale (N and Z gauges)

I just hope you did not miss the Pullman, Rue d'Amsterdam just a couple of blocks further down!
*That* is a real Märklin store.

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Dreadnought  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2018 17:19:55(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Yes indeed, we got to Au Pullman. I now have the Marklin "Pullman" collector refrigerator car. Herself insisted on the "Paris" one too .I keep boasting of having the only ones in North America. Please, no one ruin my fantasy.

Herself fell in love with Z scale there. On return here I bought her a Z scale starter set. She is delighted, "So cute!!" I have created a delightful monster.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Soest  
#5 Posted : 18 July 2018 05:13:13(UTC)
Soest

I went to Au Pullman in 2010 and bought a very nice 3015 to replace the one I foolishly sold when I was a teenager - paid a bit more for the second one, I might add. You can tell that romance is gone when you go to Paris with your wife and come back with a vintage Marklin locomotive.

Mike
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Soest
Offline Dreadnought  
#6 Posted : 18 July 2018 14:57:39(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I would not say the romance is dead. It all works out in the end. Herself had but one regret, which was that I bought the 3070 TEE. She wanted to buy it for me. Mind you I had just bought her a pair of Louboutin shoes. Arguably she still owes me :) . Maybe the next time in Paris we will come out even.

I had the TEE upgraded with motor, and sound. It is superb. Now to find the intermediate car. Hopefully I will get to Eurospoor this year or next, and solve the problem.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Soest  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2018 19:40:01(UTC)
Soest

Helas! Fermeture permanents pour Les Cheminot. And I was planning a visit in April. Oh, well, I can probably find other distractions in Paris.

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Soest
Offline Thewolf  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2018 19:50:37(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Soest Go to Quoted Post
Helas! Fermeture permanents pour Les Cheminot. And I was planning a visit in April. Oh, well, I can probably find other distractions in Paris.

Mike

No problems Cool '' Moulin Rouge '' '' Lido de Paris '' etc..etc..Laugh Flapper

Thewolf
Project Laurentides-Neudstadt-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Dreadnought  
#9 Posted : 31 December 2018 21:06:55(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Sad news. I am hoping to be there in March. I am sorry to miss the closing out sale. He had a huge stock of all kinds of HO.
As I recall he had very limited hours when I was there.
Paris is still a wonderful city. We spent hours just walking and exploring.
Hopefully the companion shops accros the road are still going strong
Offline Soest  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2019 18:02:40(UTC)
Soest

Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Soest Go to Quoted Post

Mike

No problems Cool '' Moulin Rouge '' '' Lido de Paris '' etc..etc..Laugh Flapper

Thewolf

Rue de Douai is just a can-can from the Moulin Rouge. I celebrated my latest and last purchase from Les Cheminots with a coffee at the Starbucks at Place Pigalle, just across from the MR.

Mike
Offline Soest  
#11 Posted : 12 March 2019 17:21:00(UTC)
Soest

I see that Le Cheminot has been replaced by Paris Modelisme. I will be in Paris in three weeks and will check it out. Four train stores in one block - I don't know if I can take it, certainly my wife won't. This winter I have been seduced by Spur G, so I will be looking for big trains and metal Marklin buildings.

Mike
Offline Dreadnought  
#12 Posted : 13 March 2019 17:27:22(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Herself and I should be in Paris in a week or so. We plan to stay in the Montmartre area. It should be easy pass along Rue Douai and see what is happening. Likely herself will insist we go to Au Pullman to see if there is another “Paris” car to add to the collection.
I will report back.

D.