Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jcrtrains  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2019 02:46:49(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Folks;

Has anyone found that different manufacturers wheels on carriages build up gunk at very different rates? I just went through one manufacturers carriages and found enormous buildups. Looking through a sample of a different manufacturers of carriages a similar age and usage and I see clean shiny wheels. Anyone see anything similar?

Thanks

Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2019 03:53:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
it could be said earlier wagons wheels may have contributed to the build up of muck and grime, its just a theory

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2019 14:01:47(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Interesting idea!
I have rolling stock from many different brands, but havent seen any "preferrence" for gunk build-up by brand.

But you might be on to something, as I do seem to have a build-up depending on wheel-type. (I´m thinking kind of metal/alloy here)
I havent examined the issue systematically, but some waggons definetly have more gunk than others! -I find myself cleaning the same few waggons most often.

Additionally I wonder if the rate of the build-up could be proportional to the amount of contact-tracks used for feed-back¿?
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline TimProdigy  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2019 19:16:34(UTC)
TimProdigy

United States   
"it could be said earlier wagons wheels may have contributed to the build up of muck and grime, its just a theory"

Now, I'm actually curious as to how this would happen.
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2019 08:03:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The profile of wheelsets can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some make more contact with the rails than others. I also think that there may be some difference in the type of metal used by different brands that could have an effect. I also wonder whether the fact that the wheelsets may or may not be used to conduct the ground (return) or to bridge contact between the rails may also have some impact on whether the wheels attract dirt more than others.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2019 08:07:40(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
In the days when I ran a lot of 2 rail US prototype with plastic (or delrin) wheels, the gunk would build up regularly.
It did not build up when I changed to metal wheels.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline DTaylor91  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2019 20:45:52(UTC)
DTaylor91

The worst brand ever with this problem: Lionel during the postwar period - 1945 - 1969!!!!

I suspect a combination of carpet fuzz, too much oil, and smoke fluid residue to be at fault.
Offline HO Collector  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2019 22:29:33(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
When I was a kid (early 60's) I used to run my trains on the floor tiles. I had to clean the wheels on a regular basis, engines and wagons, the muck was removed with a flat head screw driver. However, I have never had to clean the tracks using any abrasive material (never thought about any of the great deigns that you guys came up with, see the cleaning track discussion). A dumped cloth with kerosene did the trick and even this was a rare occasion.

Ben