Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2019 10:33:27(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I got my CS3+! But it's not even trying to go on the network... Link light is on, but there ain't no-one home.

I've tried setting a manual address as well, but it's not responding.

Is this normal?

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by morsing
Offline siroljuk  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2019 10:51:48(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi

Put the ethernet cable on and look if there is light ( led on) on the socket, green or yellow
Then got to CS3 system settings and there look IP-setting.
If you have tab on the DHCP auto then you should see devices IP-address on the small windown(IP-address)

If everything is as I wrote then Your device in connected to network.

Jukka
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline morsing  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2019 11:07:39(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
Hi

Put the ethernet cable on and look if there is light ( led on) on the socket, green or yellow
Then got to CS3 system settings and there look IP-setting.
If you have tab on the DHCP auto then you should see devices IP-address on the small windown(IP-address)

If everything is as I wrote then Your device in connected to network.

Jukka

No, really, the light is on, as mentioned in my post, but nothing happening.

I managed to finally get through setting a manual address, but it took a looooong time, like sitting there 10 minutes.

I'm trying DHCP again (but might set it statically permanently) and it's been sitting for 6 minutes, but so far nothing.

Thanks
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline morsing  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2019 11:11:11(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

It's doing it now, on DHCP, after many attempts, but takes absolutely ages after everything else looks ready. Weird.

Thanks
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2019 20:37:57(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post

It's doing it now, on DHCP, after many attempts, but takes absolutely ages after everything else looks ready. Weird.

Thanks

Not unusual for a CS 3. I got a CS 3+ as well and sometimes it does not shut down at all. OK a hard switch off by unpluging the device is always possible. But after a third or fourth try suddenly the CS shutt off. I do not know why. Also do not only a shut down by the red bar. Also do sometimes a shut down via the system menue and the applicable button there. It shall be a different shut down by the closing files, I was told. I think in such cases it is like I do with my computer: shut down and restart it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2019 02:17:59(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I got my CS3+! But it's not even trying to go on the network... Link light is on, but there ain't no-one home.

At which end is there "no-one home"?

It might help to explain what you are expecting the CS to talk to/respond to.

An explanation of the network setup should also be included.
You mention setting the addressing manually, can we infer that you have full knowledge of the network environment (existing address use) , subnet, masking, routing, firewall rules?
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 11 March 2019 11:48:07(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Thanks

Not unusual for a CS 3. I got a CS 3+ as well and sometimes it does not shut down at all. OK a hard switch off by unpluging the device is always possible. But after a third or fourth try suddenly the CS shutt off. I do not know why. Also do not only a shut down by the red bar. Also do sometimes a shut down via the system menue and the applicable button there. It shall be a different shut down by the closing files, I was told. I think in such cases it is like I do with my computer: shut down and restart it.

Hi Wolfgang. My CS3 Plus does not always shut down at first attempt. Sometimes takes three goes but it does then shutdown.
I use the system menu and click shut down. Not really a problem though. Don't think pulling the plug at the mains is the best idea although it will work of course.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline morsing  
#8 Posted : 11 March 2019 12:21:34(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

At which end is there "no-one home"?

It might help to explain what you are expecting the CS to talk to/respond to.

I was expecting it to request an IP address and network information via DHCP, or if I set an address manually, to be pingable. Neither happened for 6-8-10 minutes after everything else was ready. As the device runs Debian, and they would presumably leave all this to Debian to sort out, I can't see why it takes so long. Debian would setup the network very early on.

An explanation of the network setup should also be included.

Router is on a trunk and the CS3 on VLAN 200 with most of my other stuff. DHCP server is ISC, which works fine with everything else I have got.

In fact, tcpdump was showing that the CS3 isn't even trying to get an address for many, many minutes after startup, so it's not anything I have got delaying it.

You mention setting the addressing manually, can we infer that you have full knowledge of the network environment (existing address use) , subnet, masking, routing, firewall rules?

Indeed, as I built it myself.

-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 11 March 2019 22:33:54(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Ok, with that cleared up , it is worth noting that the Central Station will not open the port until it has completed its internal configuration checks.

This includes checking in with all the devices (CAN Bus) that it had previously been aware of.

One area to check is the sensors from L88s that had been defined but the L88 is no longer there (powered off, changed its ID)
i.e. the sensors are red.

The configuration of Master/Slave also comes into this discussion. e.g. if the unit is a slave waiting for its master to show up.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline morsing  
#10 Posted : 12 March 2019 12:09:09(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

Well, yes, but I would expect all that to be in the application. Requesting a port to be opened comes form the application, whee setting IP addresses is an early OS task.

Anyway, straying from model railway talk, it work now, with patience :-)
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline fguerrir  
#11 Posted : 19 March 2024 07:04:17(UTC)
fguerrir

Spain   
Hello everyone.

Although it is an old issue, I see that it is not resolved by Märklin, or at least they do not provide adequate indications. With a normal router with DHCP I do not get any address. There is already everything at home so I have found up to 6 routers stored for about 25 years. The only thing that gives me the address is an old Zyxel that is not wi.fi, so it doesn't work and the main one in the house doesn't work either because it is in a room far from the model. There should be some list or description of the router characteristics that CS3 requires to obtain an IP. Since they are cheap, I have thought about buying a modern one, like the main one at home, but I am not sure that it will solve my problem.

All the best.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by fguerrir
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 19 March 2024 12:33:37(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Well it's all a bit disturbing. I would love to have my CS3+ online always, but I have no Ethernet cable close enough to the layout.
My wifi router is upstairs and a wireless adapter won't work well. So no outside automatic route software operations for me either.
That's ok, because I'm not the best at setting up events or programming applications.
P.S. I always shut down the CS 3 from the system menu.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Crazy Harry  
#13 Posted : 19 March 2024 15:54:58(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
I use a nano router in client mode hooked up to the CS3 (the CS3 USB power port is used to power the router) and have no issues with wireless connectivity. My CS3 is in the basement on the west side of the house and the router is on the main floor on the east side of the house - distance and internal structures do not affect connectivity.

Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline marklinist5999  
#14 Posted : 19 March 2024 18:55:40(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Harry, what brand and model do you have? I have excellent connection down there with my phone and tablet.p, so that would work for me. Thanks in advance.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 19 March 2024 21:04:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: fguerrir Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone.

Although it is an old issue, I see that it is not resolved by Märklin, or at least they do not provide adequate indications. With a normal router with DHCP I do not get any address. ...

I would check you router to see how many DHCP addresses it can issue. It may be set for a very low number that could already be filled by the number of devices in your household.

Is the Ethernet network cable you are using a known good one?
Offline Crazy Harry  
#16 Posted : 19 March 2024 21:48:01(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Harry, what brand and model do you have? I have excellent connection down there with my phone and tablet.p, so that would work for me. Thanks in advance.

The nano router is a TP-Link TL-W802N and is set up in 'client' mode

The Märklin book "Running Trains Digitally with the Central Station 3" catalogue 03092 describes this option. The wireless connection of the CS3 or CS3+ to a LAN is mentioned in the 'Tip' box on page 76, it suggested this router.

Hope this helps,

Harold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 19 March 2024 22:17:02(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thanks Harry, I have the 03093 book.
Offline Goofy  
#18 Posted : 20 March 2024 08:35:51(UTC)
Goofy

Well it's all a bit disturbing. I would love to have my CS3+ online always, but I have no Ethernet cable close enough to the layout.
My wifi router is upstairs and a wireless adapter won't work well. So no outside automatic route software operations for me either.
That's ok, because I'm not the best at setting up events or programming applications.
P.S. I always shut down the CS 3 from the system menu.

I too did had problem to get IP adress to the CS3 and it doesn´t matter how long net work cable are in the lenght.
What it matters are wifi router to delivery IP adress to the CS3.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 20 March 2024 08:40:14(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Is the Ethernet network cable you are using a known good one?

What´s difference?
There are hundreds of the models to choice and buy.
You have Cat5 and Cat6 today to choice but no difference for the Märklins CS3.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline marklinist5999  
#20 Posted : 20 March 2024 11:52:07(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I think Alan meant is that the condition of the cable used was good or not. With small wires wrapped in the sheathing, one could be broken inside. It's probably rare, but possible, especially if the cable is or was stretched or dragged through holes in flooring or walls.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#21 Posted : 20 March 2024 14:01:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I think Alan meant is that the condition of the cable used was good or not. With small wires wrapped in the sheathing, one could be broken inside. It's probably rare, but possible, especially if the cable is or was stretched or dragged through holes in flooring or walls.

The biggest problem is usually the crimping of the connector. If the wires are not correctly inserted the wire can make intermittent connection to the pin when the pin gets crimped down.

So my query was is the cs3 being connected to the router with a cable that is known to work with other equipment?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Pasquiles  
#22 Posted : 23 March 2024 09:12:57(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post

The nano router is a TP-Link TL-W802N and is set up in 'client' mode

The Märklin book "Running Trains Digitally with the Central Station 3" catalogue 03092 describes this option. The wireless connection of the CS3 or CS3+ to a LAN is mentioned in the 'Tip' box on page 76, it suggested this router.

Hope this helps,

Harold.

Many thanks again Harold, I got my TP-Link TL-W802N and it is a great addition. Now I have a mobile station in the phone and in the tablet.

Great purchase! So again, many many thanks!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Pasquiles