Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2019 13:40:46(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Hello.

I am thinking about buying either a CS3, and ECOS or a 2nd hand CS2. Budget isn't an issue.

CS3 would come from Germany, 2nd hand CS2 from the UK or new ECOS 1 mile down the road from Coastal DCC.

One thing I don't know is, will my existing Mobile Station connect to an ECOS and give me three controllers?

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2019 14:01:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
One thing I don't know is, will my existing Mobile Station connect to an ECOS and give me three controllers?
Yes, the MS2 can be connected to the sniffer port of the ECoS with the MS2 trackbox in between.
The bi-directional CAN bus connection of the CS2/CS3 has some advantages.
OTOH the sniffer port connection also has advantages if you use the MS2 for visitors or children.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2019 15:48:55(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi David. I always buy Marklin but if you can get an ECOS a mile from you then at least you have back up and can hand it back if not working.
Watch for the price though compared with your Lippe account.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2019 17:02:34(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Hi David. I always buy Marklin but if you can get an ECOS a mile from you then at least you have back up and can hand it back if not working.

I have had my big discount this year so £630 for an ECOS is fine.

I live very close to Coastal DCC. Before Kevin had a shop, it was great because I could pop in after work!

He really knows what he is doing and is a nice chap so I will probably go down that route.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2019 18:40:31(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello.

I am thinking about buying either a CS3, and ECOS or a 2nd hand CS2. Budget isn't an issue.

CS3 would come from Germany, 2nd hand CS2 from the UK or new ECOS 1 mile down the road from Coastal DCC.

An ECoS cannot use the mfx+ format and with an ECoS you are not able to update the software of your MS 2. Finally I do not think that you can get the very use- and helpful CAN bus with an ECoS too.

If somebody has already a Märklin controller, my recommendation will be to stay with Märklin controllers.
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 04 March 2019 18:52:21(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Finally I do not think that you can get the very use- and helpful CAN bus with an ECoS too.

Can you please explain what you mean by this?

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2019 18:54:57(UTC)
TEEWolf

Here is a CS 3 for 534,48 € and power supply for 60061 61,90 €

https://www.besserepreis...-mae&portal=94511215

https://www.besserepreis...=9999999&language=de

Together 604,38 € was today converted to Pounds 519,20.

All rigth you can pay 630 Pounds for an ECoS, but here in the forum you have more specalists for a CS 2/3 than for an ECoS, because this is a forum named "Märklin-users.net".Blink BigGrin
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2019 23:30:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

I live very close to Coastal DCC. Before Kevin had a shop, it was great because I could pop in after work!

He really knows what he is doing and is a nice chap so I will probably go down that route.

It will be more convenient but its not Marklin and I presume the shop does not sell Marklin products. Pity you used your discount on something that did not save you cash after paying the Premium membership.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 05 March 2019 00:20:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hello.

If budget isn't an issue then go straight for a cs3. The cs2 will reach the point where it cannot be upgraded sooner than the cs3 will, and the cs3 is also faster to boot up and when operating processes things faster as it has a much better processor chip.

I don't think the Ecos has the data base of non-mfx locos that the cs2 and cs3 have, and also will not get updated with newer non-mfx items as time goes by. This means you will need to enter all the functions when setting up a new loco, where with a marklin controller you call up the loco by catalog number from the database and it is all set up ready for you.

If you already have an ms2 then either a cs2 or cs3 will accept it as an additional throttle. There are limitations to what it can do as it only has access to 16 functions, so items with more functions will not be able to use the higher function numbers from the ms2.

Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 05 March 2019 07:10:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hello.

if you talk about a Mobile station 1 yes you can directly connected it to the ECoS (4) all you need is an adapter cable and if I'm correct, (most the time not) the number of locos increased beyond 80 but I can't say if this is the fact , the 6021 will and also allows you to have 16 aux functions with 4 different decoder numbers

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline ktsolias  
#11 Posted : 05 March 2019 08:36:37(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

Go straight for a CS3

The compatibility with Marklin decoders is better than Ecos (with programming tools 60971, mDT3, )

If you want to use ESU decoders then may be Ecos is a choice

Costas