Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Elsleuth1  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2019 19:36:07(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
Is the largest most complex Marklin layout in Europe the one by Hans-Peter Porsche called TraumWerk? Are there others using Marklin products that compare? Confused

TraumWerk
Zum Traumwerk 1
83454 Anger-Aufham, Germany
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2019 20:12:36(UTC)
H0

The largest layout in the world is the MiWuLa at Hamburg - at least according to the Guiness book.
They have a mix of Märklin tracks and two-rail tracks.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline W3Machinist  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2019 21:24:35(UTC)
W3Machinist

United States   
Originally Posted by: Elsleuth1 Go to Quoted Post
Is the largest most complex Marklin layout in Europe the one by Hans-Peter Porsche called TraumWerk? Are there others using Marklin products that compare? Confused

TraumWerk
Zum Traumwerk 1

There are several videos of miniatur wunderland hamburg on youtube. It states it holds the guinness world record for the largest train layout.

Be sure you set aside an hour or 2 it will totally hold your attention.

Enjoy, Woody
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by W3Machinist
Offline Tom Jessop  
#4 Posted : 25 February 2019 22:09:09(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

At MiWuLa pre book for the behind the back stage tour in English as there is various languages available , be prepared for crowds especially school holiday time . The Fd & myself spent a full day there .

TraumWerk is about 1/2 the size of MiWula . Unbeliveable scenery & special effects including a massive electrical storm projected by 36 HD Lazer projectors . TW has a 4 star restaurant with reasonable prices . In a different part of the building is a large exhibition of Tinplate trains which is worth a few hours of examination . The Fd & Myself spent 2 days there a few weeks after it first opened while a few bugs were still being solved . There is no accommodation close by unless you are touring around in a RV . we stayed in the town Square at ANGER with no problems

Enjoy yourselves .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 25 February 2019 23:07:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: W3Machinist Go to Quoted Post
There are several videos of miniatur wunderland hamburg on youtube.

I think there are more than a few videos of MiWuLa on Youtube, you could probably spend a day watching them all.

I hope to visit MiWuLa in Hamburg later this year - I'm told by those who have been before that you need two or three days there to do it justice!

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 25 February 2019 23:10:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
There are several videos of miniatur wunderland hamburg on youtube.

I think there are more than a few videos of MiWuLa on Youtube, you could probably spend a day watching them all.

I hope to visit MiWuLa in Hamburg later this year - I'm told by those who have been before that you need two or three days there to do it justice!

You certainly need a full day. And one of my favourite parts is the airport. Just look out for the Bumble Bee ...

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline LeoArietis  
#7 Posted : 26 February 2019 20:24:37(UTC)
LeoArietis

Sweden   
Is there a publicly known percentage of Märklin-tracks at MiWuLa?

I hope to go to see the Traumwerk some day, and also hope to make my third visit to MiWuLa.

MiWuLa has the advantage of being in Hamburg, a major city with all the accomondation, restaurants, theatres, shopping and so on. Definatetly well worth a trip! However I would like to revisit sothern Germany and maybe the alps.

Based on what I have seen on film from Traumwerk, it seems really good looking and great, but in my opinion it can't top MiWuLa.
Current layout:
http://www.svensktmjforu.../index.php?topic=10990.0
The former project:
http://www.svensktmjforu...forum_posts.asp?TID=1097
With Pictures and trackplans, but in Swedish
Transitation-curves in C-track:
https://www.marklin-user...9-on-75-cm.aspx#post9281
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LeoArietis
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 26 February 2019 21:09:47(UTC)
TEEWolf

Laugh ... and you need a full extra day in HH for the gauge 1 model railway exhibition. It is completly seperate from the MiWuLa.

https://www.mehev.de/en/index.html

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 26 February 2019 21:27:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: LeoArietis Go to Quoted Post
Is there a publicly known percentage of Märklin-tracks at MiWuLa?

I hope to go to see the Traumwerk some day, and also hope to make my third visit to MiWuLa.

MiWuLa has the advantage of being in Hamburg, a major city with all the accomondation, restaurants, theatres, shopping and so on. Definatetly well worth a trip! However I would like to revisit sothern Germany and maybe the alps.

Based on what I have seen on film from Traumwerk, it seems really good looking and great, but in my opinion it can't top MiWuLa.

Well, the Traumwerk is about 20 to 30 kilometers away from Bad Reichenhall, Berchtesgaden, Königssee and Salzburg. Never counted all the mountains in this area, like the 2nd highst mountain in Germany, the Watzmann. A scenery you never finde in HH BigGrin But major cities too, "with all the accomondation, restaurants, theatres, shopping and so on. Definatetly well worth a trip!" There you find all these facilities as well.Smile

And if you like fast driving, near Salzburg you find the speedway Salzburgring.

http://www.salzburgring.at/

No chance finding a similar race track in the northern part of Germany. Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline jvuye  
#10 Posted : 26 February 2019 23:02:08(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

TraumWerk
Zum Traumwerk 1

There are several videos of miniatur wunderland hamburg on youtube. It states it holds the guinness world record for the largest train layout.

Be sure you set aside an hour or 2 it will totally hold your attention.

Enjoy, Woody

MIWULA?
A couple of hours only?
C'mon Woody, you gotta be kidding!!
I could spend the whole day there and not have seen it all!!!BigGrin BigGrin Laugh Wink

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 26 February 2019 23:34:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
A couple of hours only?
C'mon Woody, you gotta be kidding!!

I think Woody was referring to the amount of time needed to watch the videos.
Offline mrmarklin  
#12 Posted : 27 February 2019 01:59:08(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The largest layout in the world is the MiWuLa at Hamburg - at least according to the Guiness book.
They have a mix of Märklin tracks and two-rail tracks.

The layout started with Marklin track etc, but grew so much it was overtaken by its own success. So two rail was chosen for the latest add-on tracks.

One must understand that operating a layout for the hours that show layouts are done is a giant undertaking that can consume rolling stock and track. I daresay that all rolling stock purchased is re-worked and probably re-motored extensively for reliability and durability before it's even put on the track. And in MiWuLa's case the older tracks are wearing out.

I have been to both layouts more than once, and each one has its charms. The PP is more spectacular and artistic IMO, but the Hamburg layout covers more "territory" so to speak, with a port, and airport, the USA!, and much more. It is truly a wonderland.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline mbarreto  
#13 Posted : 27 February 2019 10:04:28(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I was never there and I will not so soon. By all the videos I saw of both, they are absolutely impressive a place to visit, at least for the Europeans.

Just one opinion about exhibition/museum layouts: They should use larger scales, preferably I gauge (although 0 is ok) as people is not so close to the layout and, in H0, after one meter away the detail is not so well seen.
IMHO H0 is more to the home and clubs without exhibition layouts.

Regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 27 February 2019 15:14:13(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
The layout started with Marklin track etc, but grew so much it was overtaken by its own success.
They started with K track because they though it had better electric contact.
I bet they'd use two-rail track everywhere if they had to start all over again.
They have to replace the K track from time to time when the centre-rail studs are all worn off. A problem we will not typically have with our home layouts.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 27 February 2019 21:14:04(UTC)
TEEWolf

TraumWerk
Zum Traumwerk 1

I have visited both locations. MiWuLa's MRR is certainly bigger than Traumwerk. But both have different purposes.

MiWuLa started just doing a hobby MRR. Meanwhile it is the most visited interest point in Hamburg (HH). More than operas, harbour, fish market and what else. It grew to a very important and serious economic factor in HH and meanwhile they have over 300 employees as well.

Different the Dreamwork. It is built and only financed by Hans-Peter Porsche, a grandson of the well known Ferry Porsche. He was well known before about his hobby collection of old gaming toys and of course a big part are model railways. But in this brandnew building (only done by and for Mr. Porsche) you do not find only the MRR. You find almost his complete collection of old gaming toys as cars, trains, ships, etc, and all in different scales. He is offering his collction to the public now. I did not know this, while I was going to see the MRR and was very much positivly surprised about it. It is a very big, informative and excellent museum for old toys made in all kind of materilas, mostly in tinplate and a big part of it are the MRR. E.g. they have also a beautiful small but nice exhibition of various real historic Porsche cars and racing cars. I guess they are doing it in connection with the Porsche museum of the Porsche company in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen and change time by time their exhibition samples. But as like for the MIWuLa, one day will not be enough to see all this beautiful items at the "Traumwerk" including the running MRR. Especially only 16 km (8 miles) away is another museum with real old locomotives, the rail museum Freilassing.

https://www.berchtesgade...il-museum-in-freilassing

Visiting this "Traumwerk" area, you definitely need more than one day to see all points of interest.

More informatin you get at marklin-users.net, for example here:

https://www.marklin-user...ns-Pieter-Porsche-layout

https://www.marklin-user...-Peter-Porsche-Traumwerk
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Online river6109  
#16 Posted : 28 February 2019 09:43:17(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
The largest privately owned digital mobile Märklin layout in the Southern Hemisphere is called "Moosburg",

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 28 February 2019 10:56:00(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
The largest privately owned digital mobile Märklin layout in the Southern Hemisphere is called "Moosburg",

I somehow doubt it......! Wink

Offline waorb  
#18 Posted : 28 February 2019 19:39:22(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Hi Bigdaddy

I reccomend that you book one night to attend the 'after-hours' visit:

MiWuLa at night

Small dinner included.

The tour have also some visits and explanations behind-the-scenes. Visits during the day do not allow you to go inside those 'prohibited' doors.

I made this visit 4 years ago. It was worth every minute.

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by waorb