Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2019 21:32:53(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I have two problems and will create separate post for each. The second item is more a question.

Background

I have 1 L88 and to it I have connected 2 S88 to Bus1 and 2 S88 to Bus 2. The memory address blocks are
L88 A,B
Bus 1 C,D,E,F
Bus 2 G,H,I,J

Under set up, the version is 4.1.2(3) and the tool/devices screen shows Links S88(2931) ID = 115
On the memory tab each 8 row shows the hand/loc (far right) and within any cell (for example 6) loc at bottom is to the right and the address is entered (6 in this example, 1006 for the contact on Bus1, cell6) and on the ... tab, the loc is to the right and the 115 shows.

On Bus 1 (C,D) I have connected reed switches in my hidden passenger and freight yards (5 in each yard. At the other end of each yard I have connected reed switches to the L88.

For each track in each yard the reed contacts are programmed as follows: When a train enters (last car has magnet), shut the current on that track, change the direction of the switching track and turn current on the next track. When the train leaves a track the other reed switch is programmed to change the direction of the switching track (to allow a new train to enter).

What works - Bus 1 - all the reed switches attached to Bus 1. I have tested this by passing a car with a magnet over each reed and see the switch changed direction and the CS2 shows the same, and current is turned off.

What doesn't work - the reeds attached to the L88. The switching tracks are not activated. I can activate these by tapping on the memory screen and on the layout diagram and on the keyboard. This problem exists for all 10 reeds attached to the L88.

For each L/S 88 I have attached one wire from a reed to each contact point and the other wire to the inverted T.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2019 05:35:49(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
For each L/S 88 I have attached one wire from a reed to each contact point and the other wire to the inverted T.

Have you actually set up a "sensor dot" with the expected address on the layout board to monitor
and wired a test jumper wire directly from a port to the "T"

Peter
Offline Harvey  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2019 17:03:33(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter

I do have 'dots' on the layout screen. When tapped on, they activate the switches. Maybe not important, it takes two taps to activate. I reprogrammed and ran a magnet over (once and then twice) to see if that is an issue but same result.

Regarding wiring a test jumper to the T. Can you elaborate.

Would it be something like this. Connect the wire running to the T to a test bulb and then onto the T and see if it flashes?

Regards
Harvey
Offline Crazy Harry  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2019 22:12:39(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Harvey,

I think Peter means to connect a wire to the T (ground) terminal. Touch the other end of the wire to the L/S 88 terminals you have programmed and see if the condition on the CS2 changes, i.e. shows the section occupied. No test bulb needed. This just proves the L/S 88 and your programming works.

Good luck,

Harold.
Offline Harvey  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2019 22:18:53(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Harold, Peter

I tested as you suggested.

First, for one S88 (C and D) I connected a wire from the ground wire from the various reeds to some of the contacts (screws 1-16). Various items were activated as you suggested should happen.
Then I tested the L88 (A and B) and connected a similar wire (from the ground to the various screws). Not one reacted.

Given the other S88's are connected to the L88 and are working - I would think the L88 is 'healthy'. But given each connection point on the L88 is not working, I think the L88 is 'sick'. Not being electrical literate, is it possible that signals from S88's pass through the L88 but the connections on the L88 (screws 1-16) could pass back to the CS2.

I checked again that each memory cell is set up similarly.

Are there other tests that I can run?

Thanks

Harvey
Offline Harvey  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2019 17:34:23(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Update

I connected a circuit track to address 6 on the L88 and tried to activate. First I didn't connect the track ground to the T on the L88 and then I did. Both resulted in no response. I assume I need to buy a new L88.

Do I need to do any reprogramming of the CS2 when I replace the L88?

Thanks
Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 09 February 2019 21:16:15(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Please provide screenshots of

a) the "Layout dot" configuration pane
b) the L88 configuration screen.

Specifically I want to see the
a) Sensor dot information with its correct L88 reference and the address you have entered
b) The mode of the L88 (matrix or single).

but all information should be shown even if it means merging panes as you scroll down.

tip: re screen capture, you may capture a screen image by pointing a browser at the CS2 address (then clicking the "Screen-Shot" tab), this is nicer to work with and read than a camera of the screen

Alternatively, if it is easier, you could post the section of the http://x.x.x.x/config/geraete.cs2 file that relates to the L88.
Peter
Offline Harvey  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2019 21:08:27(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter

Thanks again for assisting

First, this is the dump when I did the http/IP address/config/geraete.cs2. No idea what this information is ipaddress_config_ geraete.cs2.txt (2kb) downloaded 20 time(s).

Next is a picture of the dot assigned to address 6 from the layout screen
Layout dot config.png

Not sure what and where 'Mode of L88(matrix or single)' is. Following are screen shots from the set up configuration screen related to the L88
S88 config.png

L88 auswertung.png

This last picture may contain the matrix/single screen shot you requested.

Last, is a picture of the memory set up for address 6
Memory 6.png

Regards
Harvey

Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2019 22:00:32(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Not shown in the images, but noted in the config file, is that you have the L88 set up for 8 rows and 8 columns. As though it was for matrix mode even though the main option is set for "Einzein".

I concede I have yet to fully understand the interaction here, HOWEVER getting things out out sync can definitely cause (confusing) symptoms. It may be just in the order things are done or whether CS2 assumes.infers incorrectly
My current theory is that the Einzein/Tastaturmatrix is no longer being used and if the row/columns fields are set to 0 it = no-matrix mode but if they have non zero values, matrix is implied

Please
- Set both the column and row values to 0
- Save
- Restart CS2
- Check config that the settings have stuck.
- Retest (jumpering a wire from "T" to "6" on the L88)

FWIW

device
.uid=0x53384373
.kennung=0x73 .. ====> Device ID ....H2D = 115
.vmajor=1
.kanal
..nr=1
..name=Auswertung 1 - 16
................ <==== this ( NO actual value) concerns me - i.e. defaults are assumed
..................... (normal from observation but untidy -
..................... this blank parameter implies ..wert=0. you will actually see ..wert=1 when matrix is set

.kanal
..nr=2

.kanal
..nr=11
..name=Spalten Tastatur
..wert=8 ....... ====> 8 keyboard columns
.kanal
..nr=12
..name=Zeilen Tastatur
..wert=8 ....... ====> 8 keyboard rows/lines
Peter
Offline Harvey  
#10 Posted : 11 February 2019 00:06:59(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter

Since I had connected a cable from the CS2 to the network I updated the CS2. The changes I noticed were
1. The S88 setting changed to tastaurmatrix and the Bus settings changes for Bu;s 2 from 2 to 0. I changed back to 2
2. When I clicked on memory cell A6, I received a message "The initial input of the s88 contacts is not finished yet. Please wait until the process is finished
following device (s) not yet ready".
3. The shuttle route is no longer working (does not reverse direction).

I assume I have to 'reinstall all the S88 links to each sensor.

On your suggestions - set rows, columns to 0. Which screen is this done on?

In my read of the manual,, pg 22, I should have the setting on matrix and the memory settings use address like 6 or 2001, etc. While that is consistent with my current approach in Memory), these pages are not clear - seems it's for the 72720 when connected to the L88.

Thanks again,
Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#11 Posted : 11 February 2019 04:30:18(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
On your suggestions - set rows, columns to 0. Which screen is this done on
On the same screen you have shown Information->Setup->L88 - Scroll right to the bottom

Quote:
In my read of the manual,, pg 22, I should have the setting on matrix and the memory settings use address like 6 or 2001, etc. While that is consistent with my current approach in Memory), these pages are not clear - seems it's for the 72720 when connected to the L88.
No.
You may set the L88s native ports to EITHER single mode or matrix mode.

The issue I am pursuing is to make sure you are consistent with your mode setting and the Column/Row setup.
i.e. in Single mode the Row/Column values should be set to 0

IF you choose Single mode, then there are 16 ports that are used in exactly the same way as a traditional S88. i.e. 16 ports that have a return circuit to the "T"
In this mode the addresses are 1 to 16

IF you choose Matrix mode then you use some of the ports as (usually 8) as rows and the remainder (usually 8) as columns.
in this mode you do not use the "T" port.
64 addresses are possible and these are fixed at address 101 to 160.

Quote:
and the Bus settings changes for Bu;s 2 from 2 to 0. I changed back to 2
A very common scenario if things go wrong at start up (e.g. forgot to power on the L88s first)

Quote:
The S88 setting changed to tastaurmatrix
I am not too surprised, however I usually experience it the other way round. I run in matrix mode and it resets ti single mode.

Quote:
When I clicked on memory cell A6, I received a message "The initial input of the s88 contacts is not finished yet. Please wait until the process is finished following device (s) not yet ready".
This is both a good (I think) and an annoying trait.
At startup the CS2 runs around and checks that all the S88 references that you have on the Layout or Memory screens can be found
Untill ALL definitions are found NO memory routes will work - You will note the color of the memory button text is in red

Quote:
3. The shuttle route is no longer working (does not reverse direction).
As above , until all S88 ports are found , no routes will work.

FWIW.
When the L88 is up and going, it works very well indeed
But the hurdles that Marklin have thrown in the way mean that there are a lot more bald people in the world.
Peter
Offline Harvey  
#12 Posted : 12 February 2019 03:00:17(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter,

First, my tremendous thanks and appreciation for all the assistance and time you provided me.

I followed your suggestions and both the L88 and S88s are working. I set the L88 on single mode with 0 rows and 0 columns. Reed wires connect to specific inputs and to the inverted T. My hidden yard reed contacts work and signals as well.

My shuttle route is now not working and likely due to my following (the lack of) instructions. To eliminate any L88 issues, can the above set up work with circuit tracks (there is no return wire to the T).

One other question, when I performed an update all my locomotives have a new symbol on the control screen. In a small box an F 0 15 shows. My guess isF is for function and 15 represents the maximum number of functions for the locomotive.

Regards
Harvey
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harvey
Offline Harvey  
#13 Posted : 12 February 2019 03:09:06(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter

I had meant to include the config file.

Harvey

geraete.cs2.txt (2kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
Offline clapcott  
#14 Posted : 12 February 2019 03:32:12(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
One other question, when I performed an update all my locomotives have a new symbol on the control screen. In a small box an F 0 15 shows. My guess isF is for function and 15 represents the maximum number of functions for the locomotive.

This was introduced earlier (than yesterdays update), when 32 function support was added to the CS2.

The Marklin UX guys should be shot, as a) the icon appears regardless of the number of functions a loco is capable of and b) id does not indicate what it is for IF your loco has a decoder with more than 16 functions, then clicking that button will change the function ICONs for F16 - F31.

And one other Gotcha - the physical buttons remain F0-F7 ALWAYS, i.e. for F7-23 you need to touch the icon on the screen.

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#15 Posted : 12 February 2019 03:57:07(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
My shuttle route is now not working and likely due to my following (the lack of) instructions. To eliminate any L88 issues, can the above set up work with circuit tracks (there is no return wire to the T).

If you do mean "Circuit Track" (24994) and not "Contact Track" (24995) then you have options.

Using the Contact track you inherently must use the track power return (Brown = "0") in operation and therefore you also need to wire the same (Brown = "0") to your S88s "T" port. this may be done from the CS2 output plug for ease, rather than running another wire back from the track itself.
Noting that only one such jumper is needed for the whole L88/S88 cluster.

The 24994 comes from the factory a small jumper from the switch to the rail.
As such it needs exactly the same (Brown = "0") jumper to the "T" on the S88 as would be the case with a Contact track.

The option exists with the 24994 (or a reed switch) to wire this return wire without any connection to the track.
Instead wire a separate return circuit/wire from all sensors going back to the S88 directly
i.e. have totally isolated circuits from your track and sensors.

This is my personal preference, however if anyone intends using even one contact track and there is one type (generation) of boosters in the environment then you might as well put in the (Brown = "0" ) to "T" jumper regardless.
Should you have, for example a CS1 and a CS2 looking after different parts of your layout, you should be attentive to circuit isolation and component discrimination.

Peter
Offline Harvey  
#16 Posted : 12 February 2019 04:31:19(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter

For my shuttle, I am using 2299 (k Circuit track). I have a wire connected to contact F9 and G1 (on the S88s) but no other wire. I have 3 loop wires (1 for freight service, 1 for passenger service, 1 for auxiliary items). I understand your comment to mean that I should attach a (brown) wire from the track to the T on the L88 (or any S88). Correct?

Regards
Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#17 Posted : 12 February 2019 04:40:32(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
I understand your comment to mean that I should attach a (brown) wire from the track to the T on the L88 (or any S88). Correct?
Yes

Quote:
I have 1 L88 and to it I have connected 2 S88 to Bus1 and 2 S88 to Bus 2. The memory address blocks are
L88 A,B
Bus 1 C,D,E,F
Bus 2 G,H,I,J

Quote:
I have a wire connected to contact F9 and G1 (on the S88s)
Port F9 would be 115:1025
Port G1 would be 115:2001

fwiw. the shuttle configuration file is http://x.x.x.x/config/pendelzug.cs2
Peter