Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2019 13:58:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, received my new loco today and on the surface I'm quite happy with it, added a Plux22 sound decoder and a speaker (will change speaker for a slightly bigger one later on.

there are several light functions but I couldn't get Aux function 7 going = high beam it could be again unless you buy the sound version this may not be included like 2 power packs. the rest are ok.

Aux 1 function: right hand white light = forward
Aux 2 function: right hand white light = reverse
Aux 3 function: right hand red marker light = reverse
Aux 4 function: left hand red marker light = reverse
Aux 5 function: right hand red marker light = forward
Aux 6 function: left hand red marker light = forward

marker lights can either be single. right hand (end of train) or double (solo loco)

running characteristics: very good
sound: ESU = added
loudspeacker ESU = added
ESU powerpack = added
extra axle with rubber tyres = added
connected the pantograph for overhead power.

weight: 454g = will increase it to 500g.

Re 185 (3).JPG

Re 185 (1).JPG

Re 185 (2).JPG

Re 185.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2019 16:46:01(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hey John, looks just like mine. I bought the sound version though. Hope to try it out this weekend. Still waiting for the "194" version so that I can double head them. I'll let you know if I find any major differences.

Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2019 21:17:44(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Do they make an AC version without sound?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2019 02:41:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Hey John, looks just like mine. I bought the sound version though. Hope to try it out this weekend. Still waiting for the "194" version so that I can double head them. I'll let you know if I find any major differences.

Roger

they reckon it will be released in February (194), I don't think I came out in front buying the analog version but the only reason I bought it analog so I can add an ESU sound decoder instead of the existing Zimo sound decoder, but the sound version has 2 ZIMO loudspeakers as well. does your high beam work ? Aux 7.

John

Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 30 January 2019 02:53:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Do they make an AC version without sound?

No, you could buy spare parts to make it into an AC version. the loco number is 73780 (sound version is 79781) and the spare parts are:

gear motor bottom plate: 114487
pickup shoe: 86030
1 wheel set: 142428

connect the DC wires (+ & -) together, add the wire for your pickup shoe and solder it to (+), add an ESU lokpilot V 5.0 lokpilot and this is it.
I found Lippe modeltrain shop the cheapest and you can order the spare parts as well but they charge you a service fee for spare parts.

John

Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2019 03:18:55(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The second lok was released yesterday. Memoba is reporting the DC and DCC versions in stock.

The third model with single arm pantograph will be coming in 2019.

I expect my first Roco brownie to be delivered Monday.
I have until then to decide if it will pull A) my Rivarossi Goldenpass consist, B) my Lima EWI consist or C) my Liliput EWI consist.
I have my Rivarossi BN Re 4/4 pulling a mixed BN/SEZ/GBS consist (Lima 149783). The other Rivarossi BLS Re 4/4 is pulling a non push-pull consist of EWIV coaches.
I guess that I could move that consist to the Roco one too.

The second one will likely be used with a freight train of some kind.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2019 03:21:10(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
John. Did you put the second set of traction tires on the same bogie as the first? Is there any negative impact on the electric contact with the rails?

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2019 06:06:33(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
John. Did you put the second set of traction tires on the same bogie as the first? Is there any negative impact on the electric contact with the rails?

Regards

Mike C

Mike no, there isn't any impact on the electrical contact, I don't know how it works with 3 rail locos as they have AC wheels but the DC version has 4 contact wipers above the wheels and all I have done is combine the 2 wires from each side of the axle.
Whether it changes when you buy an AC loco having only 2 wheel contact wipers I don't know.
I've found putting an axle with rubber tyres on each bogie seem to work better than just having 4 on one bogie. whether or not it will make any difference to add them inside or outside of the bogie as to be seen but I've put them both inside the bogie so the track contact is outside.

the configuration of rubber tyres has changed over the years, putting 4 rubber tyres on 1 bogie in AC & DC locos, now it is only one bogie has 2 rubber tyres and some ( I don't know about Roco in particular) have 1 rubber tyre diagonally placed on each bogie (Märklin - Traxx locos)) and this becomes quite expensive to add more wheels with rubber tyres as you have to buy a whole axle (1 Rubber tyre) for Euro 30.00, to get your loco with 4 wheels with rubber tyres you have to buy 2 axles at Euro 60.00 (rip off)

John
Offline rbw993  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2019 23:13:19(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
John, F7 does turn on/off high beams. The decoder that came with is DCC, it does not trigger mfx recognition. I manual added it as address 3 then uploaded the decoder values and changed the address. It the upload showed 12 functions but w/out icons so I'll have to take notes and add the icons. It also had a really long speed and brake delay which I will also reprogram once I get my tuning track set up so that I can calibrate the speed. Very smooth runner.

Regards,
Roger
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2019 01:53:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
John, F7 does turn on/off high beams. The decoder that came with is DCC, it does not trigger mfx recognition. I manual added it as address 3 then uploaded the decoder values and changed the address. It the upload showed 12 functions but w/out icons so I'll have to take notes and add the icons. It also had a really long speed and brake delay which I will also reprogram once I get my tuning track set up so that I can calibrate the speed. Very smooth runner.

Regards,
Roger

Roger, thanks, I will go back and see what's going on, as I've plugged an ESU sound decoder into the loco (PLUX 22) it should do the same what a ZIMO decoder should do, I have to look at the circuit board and see where Aux 7 is. and look at the light board and see if I need to add 2 more led's,

It has become obvious now, unless you buy the sound version you don't get all the Aux functions supplied with

John

Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2019 08:21:30(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I got my 78781 the other day. I must say it is very nice. The AC model comes with a Zimo sound decoder, which sounds very good.
So far, I like the way it looks in front of my Rivarossi Goldenpass and Lima/Friho BLS Lotschbergbahn consists. I still have not yet tried it with my Roco EWIV consist.
The only downside is that the standard setting has the red taillight instead of the white one. It can be changed using the MS/CS but not with the 6021.

I thought that I would post a photo, along with a photo of the 2014 Rivarossi model (2101). The 2101 has brighter headlights. I don't remember if it was already LED or whether the Rivarossi still had bulbs. I think that the Rivarossi model may have milled light channels. I have to test it in the dark to see what the light dispersion (beams) look like.
The Roco model has high beams (F8), but they are still not as bright as the regular setting on the Rivarossi model.

I have yet to do a full function test using the Test function of my Lokprogrammer, which allows me to go up to F23.

Rivarossi 2101.01 (2014)
Rivarossi 2101A.jpg

Roco 78781 (2018)
Roco 78781.jpg

Regards

Mike C
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2019 15:25:19(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks Mike. Mine arrived just the other day. I've had time for a visual look and a sound test, but literally have no run it yet. Any idea where I can get a guide to the sound functions? (#7 or 8 I can't Identify, one alters speed but the other ??)

My first impressions: a STELLAR model. A new benchmark for electric loco sound, something I'd normally rather even do without. The sound is really tops. Printing and model quality are top notch, and the loco has a real heft to it.

Driving impressions to follow once I get some time, but they did not disappoint with this one so far.
SBB Era 2-5
Offline jvuye  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2019 21:33:47(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Mike. Mine arrived just the other day. I've had time for a visual look and a sound test, but literally have no run it yet. Any idea where I can get a guide to the sound functions? (#7 or 8 I can't Identify, one alters speed but the other ??)

My first impressions: a STELLAR model. A new benchmark for electric loco sound, something I'd normally rather even do without. The sound is really tops. Printing and model quality are top notch, and the loco has a real heft to it.

Driving impressions to follow once I get some time, but they did not disappoint with this one so far.

Should be good.
All my recent purchases from ROCO have been *excellent* performers in all regards. Essentially French Diesels (CC 72000), electrics (CC6500, 2D2 9100) and steam (231E)
Sometimes, I have to be unfaithful...Cool Laugh
Cheers
Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 07 February 2019 02:28:04(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Jacques, bought a 2D2 9100 a while back and it never had, so far, a good run, before using it on my layout any idea what type of sound this loco would attract and could one use a similar sound from another type of electric loco., most probably not as it seems to me a one off design including the whole driving and motor arrangement.
I've seen quite a few videos of these diesel locos and most the time they run in a consist.

my second Re 4/4 is soon on it way

John
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 07 February 2019 11:32:15(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Jacques, bought a 2D2 9100 a while back and it never had, so far, a good run, before using it on my layout any idea what type of sound this loco would attract and could one use a similar sound from another type of electric loco., most probably not as it seems to me a one off design including the whole driving and motor arrangement.
I've seen quite a few videos of these diesel locos and most the time they run in a consist.

John

John ,
The SNCF 2D2 is an electric loco, not a diesel.
For having experienced it first hand, I can tell you that the sounds are pretty similar to the CC 7100 series of electrics, since the electrical equipement was of the same vintage and was using the same technology.
These are 1.5 kV DC loco, developed and used in the early years of electrification in France.
Unfortunately I haven't found that one in the ESU library, although it's pretty much in the sound decoder of my REE CC 7121!
The roco came with two sliders, but functions perfectly with one. (I should say "better" in fact since you'd be saving a lot of friction)
Notice the very smart arrangement that has the powered axles drive the pick up shoe and keep it centered.
I find that one pretty clever.!
And it looks magnificent at the point of my "Train Bleu" consist!
Cheers
Jacques
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 07 February 2019 13:11:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

John

John ,
The SNCF 2D2 is an electric loco, not a diesel.
For having experienced it first hand, I can tell you that the sounds are pretty similar to the CC 7100 series of electrics, since the electrical equipement was of the same vintage and was using the same technology.
These are 1.5 kV DC loco, developed and used in the early years of electrification in France.
Unfortunately I haven't found that one in the ESU library, although it's pretty much in the sound decoder of my REE CC 7121!
The roco came with two sliders, but functions perfectly with one. (I should say "better" in fact since you'd be saving a lot of friction)
Notice the very smart arrangement that has the powered axles drive the pick up shoe and keep it centered.
I find that one pretty clever.!
And it looks magnificent at the point of my "Train Bleu" consist!
Cheers
Jacques

Jacques when I've mentioned these locos run in consist I've meant the loco(s) you've mentioned, there must be a lot of railway lines in France with out the overhead system and I also noticed them in mountainous areas.
I haven't had a close close look at my 2D2 as you've mentioned the slider, companies are a bit slack not providing in particular sound decoders for French electrics,
I congratulate Roco for producing such a loco and I'm glad I've bought it, they also bought out another one with a different colour scheme and a different running number, Roco has produced some beauties in the past, e.g. steam loco 18201, both Swedisch Iron Ore locos, I've lost 1 half of my loco (IORE) when some one broke into my garage many years ago (without the sound decoder), this 2 part loco had a block of metal inside and with 2 motors could have hauled anything and nearly took the DM3 as well, the Austrian Crocodile (Rh 1100, Rh 1189), SBB Ae 8/8, SBB Ae 8/14,

Offline river6109  
#17 Posted : 08 February 2019 12:49:37(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Hi, unfortunately I found a fault with the new loco, it has happened before with 2 of my Austrian locos Rh 1245, Rh 1670 whereas the bogies are able to swing from side to side and using the overhead system with the narrow wipers is asking for a disaster, it is an inconvenience because I've fixed the other locos by adding a washer between the bogie and the loco frame and this resulted in restricting the swing by 95 % and the only way you can do it is by taking the whole loco apart., another job on the workbench, the reason it isn't working is the pantograph has a certain tension and this pressure is transferred to the overhead wire and the situation arises the housing just leans on the side enough for the narrow wiper to go over the edge another solution would be to exchange the wiper for a wider one.

John
Offline jvuye  
#18 Posted : 08 February 2019 23:34:29(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi, unfortunately I found a fault with the new loco, it has happened before with 2 of my Austrian locos Rh 1245, Rh 1670 whereas the bogies are able to swing from side to side and using the overhead system with the narrow wipers is asking for a disaster, it is an inconvenience because I've fixed the other locos by adding a washer between the bogie and the loco frame and this resulted in restricting the swing by 95 % and the only way you can do it is by taking the whole loco apart., another job on the workbench, the reason it isn't working is the pantograph has a certain tension and this pressure is transferred to the overhead wire and the situation arises the housing just leans on the side enough for the narrow wiper to go over the edge another solution would be to exchange the wiper for a wider one.

John

I understand what you're are talking about.
The beauty of this 2D2 is that it has a **rigid** chassis for the 4 driving axles (no bogies!) with the outer axles with **no** lateral play and only the middle axles able to swing from port to starboard.
This also minimizes the lateral "play" of the pantograph, so you should normally not have to do anything about it!
And the middle drivers are the ones sliding left to right, and doing that , they also "swing" the pick up shoe .
Just magic!
I repeat that I really love this loco, for its looks, performance, and build quality !
This is also why I said it is pretty clever model engineering on the part of ROCO
Pretty much the same sort of "cleverness" that was introduced by Märklin with the G800/ GN800 / 3047 locos!

Cheers
Jacques
Offline rbw993  
#19 Posted : 08 February 2019 23:51:33(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Are you trying to turn me into an SNCF fan? Actually my first European train ride was from Paris to Bordeaux when I was 18. I went to work at wine cellar for the summer.
Offline jvuye  
#20 Posted : 09 February 2019 00:03:34(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Are you trying to turn me into an SNCF fan? Actually my first European train ride was from Paris to Bordeaux when I was 18. I went to work at wine cellar for the summer.

Why not?
French steam locos are a bit complicated and make for awesome and often colorful models: e.g look at the Märklin fantastic 241-A-65 (39241)
Electrics and diesels have all something special in terms of design and colors, and many variations!
And rolling stock often show unusual shapes .
So what would you be waiting for? Laugh Wink
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline river6109  
#21 Posted : 09 February 2019 02:52:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
In the early days of my obsession for model trains I also collected Dutch locos but sold them all as I re thought what should be on my layout. I still got 2 Swedish electrics but the main part of my collection consists locos from: Germany, Austria (ÖBB & BBÖ) , Switzerland (SBB & BLS) and France = 3 Cybic, 1 Steam, various BB electric classes (all from Märklin) 1 Lima CC = iron loco, 1 2D2, 1 BB class both from Roco

https://www.marklin-user...35-The-French-Connection

Jacques, I've bought the 2D2 as a DC model and added another axle with rubber tyres, both bogies have track contacts which enhances the contact by 4 axles
Offline rbw993  
#22 Posted : 11 February 2019 19:05:33(UTC)
rbw993

United States   

A French train on the Gotthard!... And a bigger wallet.
Offline mike c  
#23 Posted : 11 February 2019 22:28:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

A French train on the Gotthard!... And a bigger wallet.

http://www.railpictures....d=227027&key=2521992

http://www.railpictures....d=544261&key=2521992

Your pick?

Regards

Mike C
Offline rbw993  
#24 Posted : 11 February 2019 22:34:36(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I would take the mike, Mike.
Offline mike c  
#25 Posted : 05 March 2019 23:55:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I now have the second of my Roco Re 4/4 (425)s. That makes a total of 4 (2 Roco, 2 Rivarossi).

One of the Roco Re 4/4s will be pulling a passenger consist, made up of either EWI or EWIV coaches.
The second one will be assigned to my Rivarossi Goldenpass coach set.

The Re 420.5 (SBB Re 4/4II) will be assigned to an EWI consist with NPZ BDt

The Rivarossi loks will be either used as double traction in front of a freight train or I may assign the BN Lok to pull a mixed BN/BLS EWI consist.

The Ae 4/4 will be used to pull the EC from Interlaken to Bern (and on to Amsterdam).

The Re 465s will be assigned to my EWIII consist (ex-Swiss Express) and to the Hupac/Hangartner train.

Other assorted loks (485/186/475) will be assigned to assorted container and freight trains.

Regards

Mike C
Offline French_Fabrice  
#26 Posted : 08 March 2019 18:47:32(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello friends,

Just received My Roco 79781 (AC with sound).

From what I've read from your inputs, there is a Zimo decoder inside.
Do you know which reference is this decoder, because the doc of the loco doesn't mention it ? After having read the Zimo doc, I would say it is a MX645P22 ?

Would you mind please confirm or deny ?

Last question: I plan to reprogram the address in DCC mode (3) to a value greater than 128 i.e. use the long addressing mode.
As I have a ESU LokProgrammer, I will prepare the CV values (CV17, CV18, CV29) and use the manual mode (i.e. read/write each CV) of the LokProgrammer. If any pit trap, then please tell me.

Apart that, that loco looks very beautiful.BigGrin

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline rbw993  
#27 Posted : 08 March 2019 19:35:51(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Fabrice,
All I did with it was set the address to 185 on my CS2 and adjust acceleration and braking delay. They were way to long. My doco is no better than yours. People sometimes complain about Marklin docs but Roco is worse. It is basically just a series of exploded parts diagrams.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline mike c  
#28 Posted : 09 March 2019 03:50:38(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hi Fabrice,

I have been able to read Zimo decoders with my Lokprogrammer, but it won't allow me to write anything to the decoder. It may be possible to change individual CVs though.
Here is the information from Roco:
Decoder: https://www.roco.cc/doc/cv/1/de/8073781940.pdf

Locomotive: https://www.roco.cc/doc/an/1/de/8073780920.pdf

I don't know if the decoder manual is available in language other than German. There should be a copy in the locomotive package. Check either under the cover or beneath the styrofoam cradle.
To find more info, you should be able to read the decoder and get the part number with your Lokprogrammer and then find the generic description at Zimo's website.
It is important to remember that these are OEM decoders and are manufactured specifically for Roco.
Given the number of Roco loks with Zimo, I am considering whether it is now worth it to acquire a Zimo programmer.

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#29 Posted : 09 March 2019 07:39:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Hi Fabrice,

I have been able to read Zimo decoders with my Lokprogrammer, but it won't allow me to write anything to the decoder. It may be possible to change individual CVs though.
Here is the information from Roco:
Decoder: https://www.roco.cc/doc/cv/1/de/8073781940.pdf

Locomotive: https://www.roco.cc/doc/an/1/de/8073780920.pdf

I don't know if the decoder manual is available in language other than German. There should be a copy in the locomotive package. Check either under the cover or beneath the styrofoam cradle.
To find more info, you should be able to read the decoder and get the part number with your Lokprogrammer and then find the generic description at Zimo's website.
It is important to remember that these are OEM decoders and are manufactured specifically for Roco.
Given the number of Roco loks with Zimo, I am considering whether it is now worth it to acquire a Zimo programmer.

Regards

Mike C

Zimo programmer ? I've been waiting for one but what I understood its part of the control unit.

further to the purchase of my 2 Roco BLS Re 4/4 I was a bit to hasty and changed one of the mold to be able to add a ZIMO loudspeaker, silly me all I had to do is take the chamber off and place 2 of them in the designated spot and you don't need any wiring as the contacts are already underneath the circuit board.
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109