Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2019 17:00:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have been using a standard shaver type plug for my two pin CS3 and CS2 but I have found that these do not last long with the fuse going. Is there a better type of converter with say a three amp fuse. I do not intend to cut off the plug and fit a three pin.
By now you will have realised I am not an electrician.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline twmarklinfan  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2019 17:13:09(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
I use a standard Europe/uk travel adapter and given we are all on 230v this has no problems. Boots,Smiths etc have them.

In fact I have the travel adapter plugged into the wall sockets and I plug into that a power block that I bought in Germany and into that are plugged my transformers etc with their two pin plugs.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by twmarklinfan
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2019 18:38:32(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I have been using a standard shaver type plug for my two pin CS3 and CS2 but I have found that these do not last long with the fuse going. Is there a better type of converter with say a three amp fuse. I do not intend to cut off the plug and fit a three pin.

I did a search on Amazon for continental 4 way sockets and found this. Not ideal but would accept up to three continental two pin plugs.

https://amzn.to/2MIcIRO

Described as:
Power Strips with USB ports 3 Way Outlets 6 USB Ports Surge Protection Power Strip Universal Power Socket with 2 Meter Bold Extension cord With Fuse and Shutter Extension Lead

So it has three flat continental sockets plus some USBs.

David
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2019 20:21:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

You can buy UK style plugs that clip onto EU style plugs. I have some around here, I'll try and take a photo later.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 30 January 2019 21:06:55(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I have been using a standard shaver type plug for my two pin CS3 and CS2 but I have found that these do not last long with the fuse going. Is there a better type of converter with say a three amp fuse.

Why not just buy some 3 Amp fuses and use them in your shaver plugs?

If they are 5x20mm, you can buy 20 pieces for 0,99£, delivery included. BigGrin

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...98f56:g:7cIAAOSwX6Rb21zO

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 30 January 2019 23:04:27(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

I have been using a standard shaver type plug for my two pin CS3 and CS2 but I have found that these do not last long with the fuse going. Is there a better type of converter with say a three amp fuse.

Why not just buy some 3 Amp fuses and use them in your shaver plugs?

If they are 5x20mm, you can buy 20 pieces for 0,99£, delivery included. BigGrin

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...98f56:g:7cIAAOSwX6Rb21zO

Per.

Cool

Hi Per. I have some 5 amp fuses but they are bigger than the 1 amp ones and dont fit a standard shaver plug.
Its not a major problem but have had to replace three 1 amp fuses in ther past few months. Maybe a surge in power at times.
Just wondering what others used.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2019 09:30:00(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Hi Per.I have some 5 amp fuses but they are bigger than the 1 amp ones and dont fit a standard shaver plug.

Please measure the fuses sitting in your shaver plugs and we'll find the right ones for you Cool

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Michael4  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2019 10:40:20(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I am not an electrician either but what stops you from cutting off the plugs and switching to UK?

Surely this is electrically better/simpler than adaptors?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2019 15:17:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I am not an electrician either but what stops you from cutting off the plugs and switching to UK?

I use these adaptors, it is a lot easier than clipping the plug off and rewiring.

Makes a real neat job without the hassle.

20190131_141459.jpg

A number of alternatives are available as well.
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2019 15:26:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I use these adaptors, it is a lot easier than clipping the plug off and rewiring.

20190131_141459.jpg

Thanks guys. I have meanwhile replaced the 1 amp fuses with the same and will order the plug as suggested by Alan.
Cutting the plug and connecting to a UK three pin is not advised I am told by an Electrician although no idea why.
I understand that in the future Europe will need to supply electrical goods with the correct three pin plug.

Thanks again to all who have responded.

Dave.
Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 31 January 2019 15:59:23(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Cutting the plug and connecting to a UK three pin is not advised I am told by an Electrician although no idea why.

Don't worry David; I'm a electrician too, and I also don't understand why LOL

Edit: Maybe he's thinking of warranty ???

We do it quite often when we take power-tools from Europe to UK Cool

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 31 January 2019 16:29:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
These days I use these adaptors:

UserPostedImage

They are very solid mechanically and a much simpler solution than cutting off the plug and re-wiring.

They are also the best solution for a "wall-wart" type power supply like the one for the MS2
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 31 January 2019 17:31:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

20190131_141459.jpg

Thanks guys. I have meanwhile replaced the 1 amp fuses with the same and will order the plug as suggested by Alan.
I understand that in the future Europe will need to supply electrical goods with the correct three pin plug.

Dave.

Dave,
Just check I did pick the correct one (I just selected the first item in the second link) for the plug you have. The one I photographed I got from lying around that weren't wanted.
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 31 January 2019 21:22:41(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

20190131_141459.jpg

Dave.

Dave,
Just check I did pick the correct one (I just selected the first item in the second link) for the plug you have. The one I photographed I got from lying around that weren't wanted.

Thanks Alan. The one in the pic is 13amp so will buy one with probably 3 amp. Looks good though.
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 31 January 2019 21:49:52(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'm in the US and running at 120v of course, so when I first got my starter set I dug out my old transformer from the 1980's that we used in Germany to convert the 220v line voltage down to 110v. The simplicity of a transformer is it works in reverse too, so it was simple to rewire the inside and voila, I've got 110v in producing 220v out. But none of that pertains to your issue. This following bit may help though.

As I didn't want to get a bunch of transformers for every 220v item I needed to plug in, I purchased a German power strip from Amazon.de. Then I only had to convert ONE plug on the power strip and could directly plug in all of the German plugged 220v items into that.
So if you get a German power strip, solve that plug problem once, you'll at least have many slots to plug into going forward.

UserPostedImage
https://www.amazon.de/Br...amp;keywords=power+strip

You just need to convert this strip's plug into a UK plug.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Alsterstreek  
#16 Posted : 02 February 2019 16:46:01(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
The UK is not part of Europe ? Really ?

Originally Posted by: twmarklinfan Go to Quoted Post
I use a standard Europe/uk travel adapter...

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
...when we take power-tools from Europe to UK...
Offline kiwiAlan  
#17 Posted : 02 February 2019 19:09:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

Well, we are currently trying very hard not to be ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin Confused

I don't know why we are trying to Brexit, I would prefer to stay in Europe ... Crying

Offline ChrisWV10  
#18 Posted : 02 February 2019 20:12:21(UTC)
ChrisWV10

United Kingdom   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ChrisWV10
Offline Alsterstreek  
#19 Posted : 02 February 2019 20:19:23(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

Well, we are currently trying very hard not to be ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin Confused

I don't know why we are trying to Brexit, I would prefer to stay in Europe ... Crying

Well, geographically you always will.
Offline RayF  
#20 Posted : 03 February 2019 11:38:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There is Europe the geographical continent, Europe the land mass, and Europe the political countries who are part of a Union (The EU).

Britain is part of the first, not part of the second, and at the moment (but half-heartedly) part of the third. Because of its island status Britain will always "feel" a little bit apart from the rest of the continent.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline David Dewar  
#21 Posted : 03 February 2019 12:54:36(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
To be clear I said that Europe (including the UK) when supplying goods that need a plug this will require to be three pin. This includes electrical goods made in the UK as being part of Europe.
I am grateful for the assistance with a suitable adapter but the thread has nothing to do with the UK being in or out of the EU but only for goods being manufactured outside the UK.

Ray the UK will ensure that Spain does meddle with your Gibraltar which the appear to want to do.

Anyway thanks to all for the plug comments.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Alsterstreek  
#22 Posted : 03 February 2019 23:08:33(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Thank you all. When I was (very) young, I was taught that I should say Great Britain instead of England when referring to what became later known as United Kingdom. I was eager to do so in order to be precise, respectful and politically correct. So, in return I would appreciate equal treatment when it comes to distinguish between the European Union and Europe (or the European continent).

Cheerio fellows, and I really love you and your island(s) and territories, honestly.
:o)
Offline Alsterstreek  
#23 Posted : 04 February 2019 08:18:43(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
And why does this matter in this context ?

Not only the UK but also Switzerland (continental Europe, not EU but EFTA member) and Italy (continental and "insular" Europe and EU member) have special plug standards:

https://www.worldstandar...g-types-map/?location=ch

I learnt this the hard way when once buying an electrical appliance in Switzerland which I could not plug into the wall outlet in Germany.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#24 Posted : 04 February 2019 10:30:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thank you all. When I was (very) young, I was taught that I should say Great Britain instead of England when referring to what became later known as United Kingdom.
:o)

There is a technical difference between Great Britain and the United Kingdom. Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales. United Kingdom consists of Great Britain plus Northern Ireland. However, despite this difference the two do tend to be used interchangeably.
Offline Purellum  
#25 Posted : 04 February 2019 10:42:46(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Alsterstreek  
#26 Posted : 04 February 2019 12:00:11(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Furthermore, the UK and Ireland are sharing the same plug standard. How about the Isle of Man, the Channel islands, Gibraltar, Akrotiri and Dhekelia (just concentrating on Europe here)?
Offline RayF  
#27 Posted : 04 February 2019 13:55:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Gibraltar definitely has UK standard plug. I believe also the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Not sure about Cyprus...
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Rwill  
#28 Posted : 04 February 2019 16:31:40(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Vaguely thinking of moving house -went to see a prospect "in need of some modernisation" and was surprised to see the three types of round plugs and sockets still in use. WAs even more surprised that you can still buy them:

www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Mai...74f619c7091b00542df5896d

Our present house is not exactly "state of the art". Needed to buy a card bobbin of the three types of fuse wire. Went to our local little hardware shop and nervously asked "don't suppose you can still get these can you?". He smiled and said "actually its one of my best selling items"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill