Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline shuli1969  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2019 13:09:57(UTC)
shuli1969

Taiwan, Province Of China   
When I opened the case, I found that one brown wire was not welded to the metal piece, and the other end of the brown wire was soldered to the metal piece.
Dose this brown wire link to this place? Do I need to solder it on?
thanks in advance!!

Shuli Pan.

DSC_0527-1.jpgDSC_0526.JPGDSC_0525.JPG
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2019 13:27:15(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Is the engine not working? Anyway, I wouldn’t solder anything, as that could infringe the product warranty...
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline shuli1969  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2019 13:42:31(UTC)
shuli1969

Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
Is the engine not working? Anyway, I wouldn’t solder anything, as that could infringe the product warranty...

No,The functions of the loco is normal except for a telex-coupler can not close.
Offline 60904  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2019 19:56:52(UTC)

Germany   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

Soldering the cable will never have an influence on the warranty. Why should it? It is just a repair.

Greetings
Martin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 60904
H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2019 20:02:31(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: shuli1969 Go to Quoted Post
When I opened the case, I found that one brown wire was not welded to the metal piece, and the other end of the brown wire was soldered to the metal piece.
thanks in advance!!

Shuli Pan.

DSC_0527-1.jpg

Does it look like there was something soldered to the tag at some point?

I'll try and get a look at mine tomorrow.

Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2019 21:36:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hopefully somebody else with the model can open theirs and confirm whether the brown cable is supposed to be mounted to what appears to be an anchor point for that half of the locomotive.

In the meantime, you can send an email to service(at)maerklin.de and hopefully they can get back to you in a few days.

The brown wire is normally used for the ground (return) wire. It would make sense that there would be a wire from the Decoder/PC board to the wheels on both halves of this articulated locomotive.
You mention an issue with the telex coupler. From what I understand, it is working on one side, but not on the other. Is the side with the non-functionality the same as the side where this return cable is detached? The telex would need either a pair of leads to the decoder or one lead to the decoder and one to the ground in order to function.

The parts diagram shows a pair of identical parts (a screw labelled as #2) and a contact tab for each half. Likely they would serve the same function on either side.
I could not find a wiring diagram on the intranet.

Regards

Mike C
Offline ktsolias  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2019 23:05:09(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi
This is a picture from mine Croc

As you can see both brown cables are soldered to the brass contacts.

That has to do with better circuit of the rails current because the loco body is articulated.

Nothing to do with functions etc. The only problem may be is the lost of power in specific areas of the tracks,

IMG_44524a_resize.JPG

If you have any problem with the TELEX or other functions, my opinion is don't touch anything and send it back to Märklin.

This loco is very complicated and the way that the new TELEX are working not clear yet!!!

Regards

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline shuli1969  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2019 03:29:12(UTC)
shuli1969

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: shuli1969 Go to Quoted Post
thanks in advance!!

Shuli Pan.

DSC_0527-1.jpg

Does it look like there was something soldered to the tag at some point?

I'll try and get a look at mine tomorrow.

Many thanks to Alan.

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Hopefully somebody else with the model can open theirs and confirm whether the brown cable is supposed to be mounted to what appears to be an anchor point for that half of the locomotive.

In the meantime, you can send an email to service(at)maerklin.de and hopefully they can get back to you in a few days.

The brown wire is normally used for the ground (return) wire. It would make sense that there would be a wire from the Decoder/PC board to the wheels on both halves of this articulated locomotive.
You mention an issue with the telex coupler. From what I understand, it is working on one side, but not on the other. Is the side with the non-functionality the same as the side where this return cable is detached? The telex would need either a pair of leads to the decoder or one lead to the decoder and one to the ground in order to function.

The parts diagram shows a pair of identical parts (a screw labelled as #2) and a contact tab for each half. Likely they would serve the same function on either side.
I could not find a wiring diagram on the intranet.

Regards

Mike C

Many thanks to Mike.

Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Hi
This is a picture from mine Croc

As you can see both brown cables are soldered to the brass contacts.

That has to do with better circuit of the rails current because the loco body is articulated.

Nothing to do with functions etc. The only problem may be is the lost of power in specific areas of the tracks,

IMG_44524a_resize.JPG

If you have any problem with the TELEX or other functions, my opinion is don't touch anything and send it back to Märklin.

This loco is very complicated and the way that the new TELEX are working not clear yet!!!

Regards

Costas

Thank you very much for your help. .
I got a new TELEX through the dealer from Marklin for replace it.
But you are right, this loco is very complicated , it looks difficultly to replace it.
DSC_0528.JPG
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 12 January 2019 19:12:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Test the Telex coupler once you have connected the brown wire. If the coupler has only one wire to the decoder and uses the mass for return, then it might work once the return (brown) was reconnected for that half of the lok body.

Regards

Mike C
Offline shuli1969  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2019 05:37:28(UTC)
shuli1969

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Test the Telex coupler once you have connected the brown wire. If the coupler has only one wire to the decoder and uses the mass for return, then it might work once the return (brown) was reconnected for that half of the lok body.

Regards

Mike C

Thanks Mike,
I have soldered the the brown wire back,but it does not affect the telex-coupler.

Regards

Shuli
Offline ktsolias  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2019 11:09:37(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi again

The TELEX couplers in this special case (the first appearance of this type of TELEX) is not driven directly by the Decoder. There is a special circuit that drives these couplers.
The thin black wires from the couplers are soldered on a small circuit board in the front or rear of the Loco, where the resistances for the LED's are connected too.

When I say that is a complicated loco is that the traditional connections between the Decoder and the other components does not apply here, except the connection of the BLUE and GREEN wires for the motor.

All the other connections are through another circuit board with unknown to me IC components, for the Swiss light mapping, the servo motor for the photograph and of course for the TELEX couplers.

Anyway Marklin does not give the part No of the TELEX and does recommend not use this in other Locos

So except if you are very sure what are you doing don't do nothing

Regards

Costas
Offline shuli1969  
#12 Posted : 13 January 2019 13:14:25(UTC)
shuli1969

Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Hi again

The TELEX couplers in this special case (the first appearance of this type of TELEX) is not driven directly by the Decoder. There is a special circuit that drives these couplers.
The thin black wires from the couplers are soldered on a small circuit board in the front or rear of the Loco, where the resistances for the LED's are connected too.

When I say that is a complicated loco is that the traditional connections between the Decoder and the other components does not apply here, except the connection of the BLUE and GREEN wires for the motor.

All the other connections are through another circuit board with unknown to me IC components, for the Swiss light mapping, the servo motor for the photograph and of course for the TELEX couplers.

Anyway Marklin does not give the part No of the TELEX and does recommend not use this in other Locos

So except if you are very sure what are you doing don't do nothing

Regards

Costas

Hi Costas,
Yes,it is difficult to solder on a small circuit board , so i have not replaced the telex-coupler yet.
Thanks for your information.

Regards

Shuli.

Offline 60904  
#13 Posted : 14 January 2019 20:30:42(UTC)

Germany   
I had to replace one of the Telex, too. It is no big deal. Can be done by anybody who has a little experience with soldering.
Greetings
Martin
Offline Melbourne marklin  
#14 Posted : 28 January 2019 11:46:13(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Does anyone think that this not good enough quality from Marklin especially on an special top of the range Insider lok costing more thanE500??
A newbie to this hobby, All Marklin HO, Swiss only, across all eras, largeish 5m x 4m layout in planning, small table top training table in operation.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#15 Posted : 28 January 2019 12:14:04(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Sh*t happens. If it is not a common thing, then I would categorize this particular issue as a one off.

If more issues of this kind occurs, then I might reconsider.