Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline miccar  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2018 21:01:26(UTC)
miccar

Sweden   
Dear all,

Since a few months back I have renovated the garage for the sole purpose of (finally) building a model railroad. The interior is roughly 5x3 meters with a door in one corner.

I plan to build an era III layout situated in (roughly) southern Germany. I want to have a through station with city and a large industrial/shunting area. The city is on the right side and the other spaces are for industry and similar things. The current plan is to have two separated shadowstations accessed through helixes (entry marked by purple track in image) The whole thing will be computer controlled once I get my head around it.

First I intend to try out a small layout as a training experience but I want think about the big one as well BigGrin. I have thought about doing the mainline as double track but I have prioritized other things. Anyway, any input will be appreciated.

/Michael

Trackplan for forum.PNG
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by miccar
Offline miccar  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2019 23:32:40(UTC)
miccar

Sweden   
Here is a second attempt on a trackplan. I reduced the standard train length to 140 cm allowing me to move the station to one of the short sides of the garage. This in turn resulted in splitting up the industrial area in two sections on either side of the station. So there will be a lot of short trains going from W to E and back again delivering goods. Not sure which one I fancy yet. Input is appreciated.

Still no actual building going on. Instead I've been watching Rudy's helpful videos of Traincontroller trying to wrap my mind around that software Blink .

Revised trackplan.PNG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by miccar
Offline W3Machinist  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2019 00:20:02(UTC)
W3Machinist

United States   
The layout you choose is a personal issue, and as long as things work there is no wrong layout.

That said, I sense you want to do more in you smallish space, if this is true think 3D or move vertical. As an example take your second layout drawn on vellum(tissue paper) in a bright color and lay it over your first try. I'm on try 12. If you dont like it begin adjusting, if you hate the idea, I've got nothing to help.

I see you say you have renovated your garage, I hope that means heat and AC or humidity control to reduce the risk of rust, corrosion, or zink rash depending on the age of your equipment.

I hope this has tickled the gray matter and gets your creative juices flowing.
Happy RailRoading,

WoodyMellowCool BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by W3Machinist
Offline miccar  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2019 08:18:26(UTC)
miccar

Sweden   
Time for yet another trackplan draft. This version tries to spread out the tracks a bit more and have decreased the width due to access. Amongst other changes there will be a detachable bridge (marked green) where the entrence is. Main line going into the station from N och S is in purple and will mostly be concealed. Both routes will go down to shadowstations for an "out and home". Green track to freight yard and industry is an intended increase by 10 cm in order to get the N main line under it. I am considering access to the "tongue" in the middle from the right instead of the left but that would entail, I guess, taking away the harbour as a climb to a harbour seems weird.

Edit: Woody - yes, the garage is temperature controlled.

Skarmdump treben.PNG
Offline SteamNut  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2019 13:14:43(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
You might reconsider a double main line, I regret not doing it myself. You said you will doing computer control but it will be easier to tun multiple trains and I think seeing them passing each other without stopping would be enjoyable. Just my two cents worth. Good luck on your project.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2019 15:47:32(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I once commented on U-shaped designs which might be of interest - see post # 14:
https://www.marklin-user...hn----The-very-beggining
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline miccar  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2019 13:37:29(UTC)
miccar

Sweden   
Thank you for the feedback and links.

Yes, doubletrack is something that I have considered and would like to have. I'm also very keen on the "principle" that regardlesss of what inbound track the train is arriving on it should be able to access every outbound track. Especially when it is a freight train so the wagons can be uncoupled and shunted to the freight station/area. So far I have either ended up with a lot of turnouts before the station area in any doubletrack scenario (stealing space or being placed in the slopes to the shadowstations) or a singletrack mainline that by defintion provides the desired inbound/outbound solution. Maybe I need to revisit the doubletrack path again, give it a spin and see if I can come up with some viable plan.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by miccar
Offline miccar  
#8 Posted : 18 February 2019 22:08:29(UTC)
miccar

Sweden   
Back at it again. Per Steamnuts suggestion I went back to the drawingboard and had a stab at a doubletrack mainline. I settled for a station area four tracks wide (and no push/pull) and that trains should be no longer than 140 cm. The doubletrack approach also made me think in new directions with having one track going slightly down to a harbour area (orange track) and one track going up to an industrial area (green track). The island in the middle thus have two heights. The maintrack (purple track) is still supposed to go to two separate shadow stations.

This trackplan also allowed me to add/move some "points of interest" (e.g. sawmill and moving the loco maintanence). Aside from some additional polishing I'm actually quite happy with this trackplan. That is a new feeling ThumpUp.

Skarmklipp dubbelspar treben.PNG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by miccar