Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline White Buffalo  
#1 Posted : 19 August 2018 21:10:03(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Hi everyone. I am trying to find out if I can add sound files to a Märklin 36655 Diesel Locomotive (2017 is the year I believe). In the description is states it has a MFX sound decoder.

"It has a special motor, an mfx digital decoder, and two sound functions independent of the locomotive's speed."

When I try to access the decoder with the Lokprogrammer it always says that this decoder is not supported. But I can still access the individual CV's and change some of them as well.

This was a birthday gift sent to me from our exchange students family (our 2nd familyBigGrin) in Potsdam, Germany. They totally surprised me when a package from Germany arrives Saturday morning with this inside. she's a beautiful locomotive and a great gift for a Märklin Modeleisenbahn fan and a Fußball fan. Being that it is a mfx decoder I would assume it has more function positions than the 4 positions available:

Function: Headlights
F1 - sound file - Fußball fans cheers
F2 - sound file - Bundesliga theme

F-4 - shunting mode - acceleration & braking delay off

Is it possible to access F3 do you think? Would this be possible with the Märklin 60971 programmer?

I'm not very knowledgeable about the newer Märklin decoders. The Märklin digital decoders I do have are over 10 years old. Most of them have been converted with an ESU Loksound 4 decoder, but I have no knowledge about the new decoders. I just assume that since it is an MFX decoder it must have more function locations available.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline White Buffalo  
#2 Posted : 19 August 2018 21:19:36(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
here are some links to the item description and manual on Märklin's website as well as a few photos:

description:

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/36655/

user manual:

https://static.maerklin....2b8706157a1499861645.pdf

Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 19 August 2018 21:56:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: White Buffalo Go to Quoted Post

When I try to access the decoder with the Lokprogrammer it always says that this decoder is not supported. But I can still access the individual CV's and change some of them as well.

As you have found you can only access CVs with the Lokprogrammer, and this is because the decoder is not made by ESU, so you cannot access the details of the decoder innards.

The decoder will be a minimal one as this loco is part of the Startup range, produced as an entry level loco. To put more sounds in it you will need to fit a more fully featured decoder such as a Marklin msd/3 or an ESU Loksound v4. Te latter will probably be easier as you already have a lokprogrammer, as you will need it to load the sound file into it. ESU probably have the appropriate sound file for the loco type.

If you do wish to go down this route you first need to take off the loco body and identify how the decoder is wired in. If it plugs into a circuit board with a 21 pin connector then substituting the decoder is very easy. If it is wired in then it is a more difficult job as you need to unsolder the wires and wire in a new decoder.

Personally I would leave it as it is and just enjoy it. You may like to try and track down the wagon sets that go with it.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline White Buffalo  
#4 Posted : 19 August 2018 22:13:11(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
thanks for the fast reply kiwiAlan, She is a great locomotive and the sound is nice. They have engineered the sound to come out of a roof vent so it is pretty clear and loud enough. I would sure like to be able to add some diesel operating sounds one day. Do you think I could access the decoder with Märklin's 60971 programmer?

video:

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 19 August 2018 22:33:10(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Do you think I could access the decoder with Märklin's 60971 programmer?
It looks as if this loco has a "silent" decoder and a separate noise module with two hard-wired sound functions.
There is no chance to change the sounds of this loco without changing the sound hardware, too.
So when installing a sound decoder, you either have to install a second speaker or remove the noise module and the speaker and replace it with a speaker for the sound decoder.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline White Buffalo  
#6 Posted : 19 August 2018 22:36:25(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
here is picture of the decoder, looks like it would require some soldering....but there is plenty of room for an iphone speaker in here as well.......BigGrin

Offline White Buffalo  
#7 Posted : 19 August 2018 22:50:03(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
thanks HO, I think I understand what you are saying now that I look closer at the photos. You can see the F1-F6 labels on the lower chip in the decoder pic above.

Here are some pics of the speaker setup.....the two black speaker wires run to the 2nd decoder chip as well.

Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 19 August 2018 23:04:44(UTC)
TEEWolf

thanks for the fast reply kiwiAlan, She is a great locomotive and the sound is nice. They have engineered the sound to come out of a roof vent so it is pretty clear and loud enough. I would sure like to be able to add some diesel operating sounds one day. Do you think I could access the decoder with Märklin's 60971 programmer?

I do not think so. Look into the 60971 mdT manual

https://static.maerklin....c90826c1de1464620537.pdf

On page 2 the decoders are enummerated by which you can use the mdT. Even for locos with a Märklin built in msD/3 like the new Insider Croc 39567, the manual reports the mdT is only limited usable fo such msD/3 decoders.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline White Buffalo  
#9 Posted : 20 August 2018 00:11:44(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Danke sehr TEEWolf.

That is why I was wondering welches Dekoder ich habe.
Offline White Buffalo  
#10 Posted : 20 August 2018 00:47:06(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
from the 60971 Programmer manual

Intended Use
• This product can be used for fast programming of Märklin
mSD3 and mLD3 (60975, -976, -977, -978, -979, -982, -985,
-986, -987) decoders.
• Original locomotive decoders in Märklin locomotives from
the factory that are based on mSD3 and mLD3 can be
programmed with limitations.

Auf Deutsch:

Dieses Produkt kann zum schnellen Programmieren von
Märklin-Decodern mSD3 und mLD3 (60975, -976, -977,
-978, -979, -982, -985, -986, -987) verwendet werden.
• Auf mSD3 und mLD3 basierende Original-Lokdecoder
die ab Werk in Märklin-Lokomotiven verwendet werden
können eingeschränkt programmiert werden.
Offline White Buffalo  
#11 Posted : 20 August 2018 00:50:14(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
am I correct that mSD3 and MFX decoders are two different types of decoders and are not compatible?
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 20 August 2018 05:17:23(UTC)
TEEWolf

am I correct that mSD3 and MFX decoders are two different types of decoders and are not compatible?

Sorry @White Buffalo - you are not correct. The new Märklin decoder mSD/3 is a multifunctional decoder and understands the track formats MM, MM 2 (= fx), mfx, DCC.
Whereas the mfx+ format in my opinion is only a special version of the mfx format. All these track formats can be handled with the CS 3 (including the mfx+).

The decoders installed by Märklin in the locos and/or coaches I do not know which one they are. Here you have to relay on the information of Märklin in the database. Myself I got two mfx E-locos, a BR 50 (39500 – first offered 2007) and BR 185.1 (first offered 2015) from the 29841 starter set. But both only handle 4 different functions, like a delta decoder. I do not mind about them. Shouls I really need more it is easily chnaged by replacing them by a mSD/3 with all 32 functions and of course all sound options the mSD/3 is offering.

Here you find additional information to the mSD/3 decoders. Unfortunately they are only in German, but somebody else here at marklin-users.net published an English version, as far as I can remember. I cannot find this version, because Google does not accept my search for English items by my German IP address.Cursing

But you obviously can read German, I set up all these links here.

https://www.maerklin.de/...n/Leitfaden_online_D.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...estdecoder_Version_2.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...oderTool3_A5_Deutsch.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...timedia/aktuelle-videos/

Once I heard the video about the new decoders in English too, but I cannot find it again on the web site of Märklin.

Regards

TEEWolf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 20 August 2018 08:02:10(UTC)
H0

"mfx" is a track protocol. Any decoder that implements the mfx protocol can be called "mfx decoder".
The MSD/3 is a specific Märklin decoder that implements the mfx protocol. It is a sound decoder.
There are other mfx decoders, even from ESU and from Uhlenbrock, maybe from Zimo also.

The MSD/3 is the successor of the MSD. Crippled siblings of the MSD were factory-installed into Märklin locos.
Some decoders with mfx+ are also siblings of the MSD family.
There are many incompatibilities between "mfx decoders" - and those special programmers are usually picky with respect to supported decoders.
Many factory-installed decoders are locked against firmware upgrades, sound uploads, and other changes, and sometimes only support a subset of the settings available with decoders that are sold separately.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 20 August 2018 12:40:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I find "crippled" such a distasteful word. Images of children in wheelchairs come to mind...

Could we not find another word to describe decoders that do not have the complete range of functionalities? How about "Limited access decoders" or something similar?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Webmaster  
#15 Posted : 20 August 2018 20:26:08(UTC)
Webmaster

Don't know what kind sound decoder it is, but looks is rather similar to the cheapest Uhlenbrock ones...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline White Buffalo  
#16 Posted : 07 September 2018 18:45:12(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Vielen Dank gentleman, I am going to send this one off to Scott at Helmut's Hobbies for a decoder & ipone speaker upgrade. It might seem like overkill for this Locomotive, but it was a birthday gift from a special friend to our family so I am just gonna do it.......

It might be a few weeks, but I will update this thread with a video clip once she comes back.....

Besten Dank

Rich
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline Arpke  
#17 Posted : 13 March 2019 13:14:10(UTC)
Arpke

Germany   
@White Buffalo,

I have the same loco "Bundesliga" Marklin #36655.

Do you have changed the marklin decoder in your loco ?
Any new ideas about the original decoder ?

Best regards
Norbert

Märklin C-Track, operating with Rocrail, Control Unit Märklin 6021/6051 and/or Tams RedBox Booster
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Arpke
Offline White Buffalo  
#18 Posted : 13 March 2019 15:14:13(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Oh meine gute, I have forgotten to update my post. I said I would update it in a few weeks and now es ist ein paar Monate! Es tut mir leid Norbert.

Scott at Helmuts hobbbies updated the decoder with an ESU decoder and apple iphone speaker. I will post up a short video and some pictures tonight. Wann ich bin zuhause BigGrin .

I do still have the old decoder - I must look for it.

Rich
Offline White Buffalo  
#19 Posted : 14 March 2019 03:45:21(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Norbert here is a video. It is a little boring and only shows the sound functions. Aber der Sound ist gut BigGrin (but the sound is good).

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline White Buffalo  
#20 Posted : 14 March 2019 03:53:31(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
I still have the original decoder. But I was not able to access it with ESU’s Lokprogrammer and Helmuts Hobbies said just as the others above. The functions are not accessible.

Offline White Buffalo  
#21 Posted : 14 March 2019 04:09:57(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
also, I am still practicing uploading the Bundesliga Theme and the other sound files on this chip. If there is one thing I would have done different is to record the sounds from the original chip.