Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2018 05:24:40(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
When i was a teenager, i bout the first version of the E03. Every since I bought it, paint started coming off it. Now I have finally got around to removing all the beige and silver paint from the plastic body. Now it is shiny black and I am wondering of maybe i should keep it black. Have had it running on my layout in the black format but without panto-graphs. I think it looks OK. What do others think. The problem with the original paint job probably has something to do with the type of plastic and the fact that it is so shiny. Maybe.

Eo3 piant coming off 01.JPG

E03.  Paint off. now Black.JPG
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2018 06:28:58(UTC)
MaerklinLife

If you like it that way: Do it so!

It is hard to comment on questions like this. Personally, so I would never do it like this. I prefer my trains to have an actual prototype. I would trash the model or have someone repaint it. But that is what I prefer. At the end of the day it is your layout and your model. Your idea is just as good as mine.

A hint though: If you decide to keep it black, make sure to protect the plastic by giving it a covering coat of black. Now that its paint is gone the plastic is unprotected from UV lighting which can damage the plastic further.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2018 18:01:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
When i was a teenager, i bout the first version of the E03. Every since I bought it, paint started coming off it. Now I have finally got around to removing all the beige and silver paint from the plastic body. Now it is shiny black and I am wondering of maybe i should keep it black. Have had it running on my layout in the black format but without panto-graphs. I think it looks OK. What do others think. The problem with the original paint job probably has something to do with the type of plastic and the fact that it is so shiny. Maybe.

Hello Derek,

I agree with @MärklinLife.

I also bought an E 03 3053 as my first Märklin loco, decades ago. But I am lucky the paint keeps on the body. Only a front window has fallen out its frame.

Nevertheless you asked for an opinion about design. Nobody may really give a serious answer, because at the end of the day every design has only to please yourself.

I say it with the Rolling Stones:RollEyes

but you know the Stones sang too:Smile

Enjoy your loco whatever colour it will get, because the Stones sang Huh (I love the Stones Love)

Best Regards

TEEWolf

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2018 20:04:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Now that you've taken all the paint off you've done the hardest bit. Why not finish the job? You need only three colours, red, cream and silver, and the markings on the loco make masking off the different parts fairly easy. The paints don't even need to be an exact match to the originals.

This fine old lady also needs her pantographs back. These are easily obtainable from Marklin for just a few Euros.

I would start by using a grey primer in a spray can from any Auto parts shop. The finishing coats could also be spray painted or even just applied by brush. I have done some repaints in the past that are hardly distinguishable from the original as long as you don't look too closely!

This is one loco I did recently

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2018 21:37:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Nice paintwork Ray. Would be good fun giving a loco a new paint job and if it works out as good as the one Ray has done then you would have considerable satisfaction.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2018 00:23:47(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Have you seen the price of the older shiny metal coloured pantographs? The newer darkened ones are much cheaper.
Offline dominator  
#7 Posted : 09 July 2018 03:21:18(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I still have all the bits. Apart from the paint it could have been considered mint.

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I hadn't thought about the uv protection, especially as we have the highest UV here in NZ than anywhere else in the world [ that Ozone hole is right above us or that's what we have been told.]

The original colour was Beige with a silver roof and highlighted by a red stripe around the roof line. The metal under body red paint is still in perfect condition. I had asked Ritter about the painting and they would have done it for me for about 3 times the value of the loco. [ well something like that ]
They mentioned etching or some kind of bead blasting on the plastic before the application of the paint.

I have the spray painting gear to do the job, but i just want to make sure i do it right. I dont think I could live with the black colour but for a while at least, i will enjoy it. The only other model I had a paint problem with was the roof on my old 3065. Years ago i just hand painted the roof and it still looks ok.
I did repaint the roof of my RES800 many years ago. I did it withe a brush but found the silver was too bright, but then I used a suede brush on it and dulled it off to the correct colour. Now it is hard to tell it was repainted.

Thanks for there music TEEWolf. A friend once told me black does tend to be a colour the hides imperfections . Don't the girls look great wearing their tight black clothes though.

Dereck
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 09 July 2018 07:45:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Dereck, just try a small section, let it dry and see what happens, maybe you get some advice in a paint shop like a primer.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline MalinAC  
#9 Posted : 09 July 2018 07:56:24(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Hi Dominator,Ask any body shop and they will tell you black is the worst colour to paint because it shows up any imperfections in the bodywork. Eddie Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 09 July 2018 12:45:34(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Now that you've taken all the paint off you've done the hardest bit. Why not finish the job? You need only three colours, red, cream and silver, and the markings on the loco make masking off the different parts fairly easy. The paints don't even need to be an exact match to the originals.

This fine old lady also needs her pantographs back. These are easily obtainable from Marklin for just a few Euros.

I would start by using a grey primer in a spray can from any Auto parts shop. The finishing coats could also be spray painted or even just applied by brush. I have done some repaints in the past that are hardly distinguishable from the original as long as you don't look too closely!

Some many years ago I recall either reading or hearing someone talking about painting models and they made it a point to mention the perils of using automotive spray paint - not because there is anything wrong with the paint itself, but because of the size of the particles that make up the paint.

When you are painting something like a detailed model, it can be very hard to get the detail to come out as well due to the thicker consistency of the paint.

Particularly noticeable on things like raised lettering, or any raised detail for that matter.

True modelers paints such as Tamiya (among other brands) already have a finer particle size and therefore the detail is much better. I have always used Tamiya spray paints for the few times I have repainted and been happy with the results even thought the colour range is not quite what I'd like. I always wanted to give air-brushing a try where you could really get into mixing custom colours but the learning curve is too daunting.

Don't know if anyone else has experience that can add to this?

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#11 Posted : 09 July 2018 17:53:01(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   

UserPostedImage

Hi Ray- nice work! How did you do the lettering on it?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 09 July 2018 19:52:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

Hi Ray- nice work! How did you do the lettering on it?

Luckily most of the blue areas were in good condition and only needed cleaning and minor retouching. The cream and silver areas were repainted by hand.

When the lettering needs to be redone you can get decals from many sources online.

These two Italian vans I built from kits show how effective the decals can be:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Ray
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 11 July 2018 17:50:20(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
What about this as a solution? https://www.ebay.de/itm/...BR-E03-002/323315854650?

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 12 July 2018 14:10:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
What about this as a solution? https://www.ebay.de/itm/...BR-E03-002/323315854650?

Regards

Mike C

That would save a lot of work! Smile ThumpUp
Ray
Offline petestra  
#15 Posted : 12 July 2018 23:51:14(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Wow, sorry that happened! I've had my 3053 E03 since 1966 and it still looks like new. Peter.
Offline dominator  
#16 Posted : 13 July 2018 01:48:18(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
It wasn't as bad as in the picture. The paint had curled inwards at the edges where it was coming loose, and I got pissed off with it so used my fingernail to do what you see in the picture. Brake fluid was really good to get the paint off. I managed to leave the DB signs in tact as those won come loose. I have the necessary air brush to do the work and i have been successfully using Vallejo paints on my aeroplane models. I have been wondering how to do the original paint scheme withe beige sides, silver roof and red highlight stripe between the two. i did consider doing it the same as the 3357 model, but that also has a red stripe on its nose. The one on TM in NZ looks like a repaint, unless the originals were painted by hand.
Automotive stuff is too course for this kind of work, including the masking tape. Is there a fine masking tape that can be used for models that can allow a nice straight clean line between different colours.

Dereck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 13 July 2018 02:04:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

It wasn't as bad as in the picture. The paint had curled inwards at the edges where it was coming loose, and I got pissed off with it so used my fingernail to do what you see in the picture. Brake fluid was really good to get the paint off. I managed to leave the DB signs in tact as those won come loose. I have the necessary air brush to do the work and i have been successfully using Vallejo paints on my aeroplane models. I have been wondering how to do the original paint scheme withe beige sides, silver roof and red highlight stripe between the two. i did consider doing it the same as the 3357 model, but that also has a red stripe on its nose. The one on TM in NZ looks like a repaint, unless the originals were painted by hand.
Automotive stuff is too course for this kind of work, including the masking tape. Is there a fine masking tape that can be used for models that can allow a nice straight clean line between different colours.

Dereck

Hello Dereck,

do I understand it correctly, you want to repaint your loco in the original colours? And you only looking for the used colours by the DB?

The DB has an extensive colour scheme determined by the RAL colours. If you are interested in this colour scheme, let me know please. Then I will search it for you in the deep vally of my chaotic archive. RollEyes

A Hobbit may find it - I guess.BigGrin

best regards

Wolfgang
Offline dominator  
#18 Posted : 13 July 2018 02:41:39(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Wolfgang. You are correct. I do want to repaint it in original colour if possible. Any help I can get is going to be very well appreciated. I do enjoy running it in the shiny black just fro a change though. I am going to have to convert this loco to digital as well because somewhere there is a breaking wire which stops me running it in reverse. I think it is the coil [ which would be replaced my a magnet ] Pity because it goes so well, but I tend to run a lot of the time now with digital. [ there is a future for you Mike ].

All the best.
Dereck

DSC01626.JPG
I found it hard to get a good photo of this because of the flash and the shiny black surface.Flapper
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline TEEWolf  
#19 Posted : 13 July 2018 04:07:48(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi Wolfgang. You are correct. I do want to repaint it in original colour if possible. Any help I can get is going to be very well appreciated. I do enjoy running it in the shiny black just fro a change though. I am going to have to convert this loco to digital as well because somewhere there is a breaking wire which stops me running it in reverse. I think it is the coil [ which would be replaced my a magnet ] Pity because it goes so well, but I tend to run a lot of the time now with digital. [ there is a future for you Mike ].

All the best.
Dereck

DSC01626.JPG
I found it hard to get a good photo of this because of the flash and the shiny black surface.Flapper

Hello Dereck,

result of my first search for a colour scheme for a TEE E 03 - 002.

First something about RAL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAL_colour_standard

https://www.ral-farben.d...lqd9chqpdqa88344ocf3jso4

unfortunately also not in German available

https://de.wikipedia.org...esbahn_1949.E2.80.931993

http://www.modellbau-wik.../wiki/E_03#Farbvarianten

here are special instructions from a private homepage

http://www.fuessener-mod...und%20Beschriftungen.htm

http://www.fuessener-mod....com/Restaurationen2.htm

This ebay link is only for your information in pictures about price, colour and pantographs. I think quite helpful.

https://www.ebay.at/itm/...4072?hash=item5d755eedd8

Of course all in German. So here my translator software

https://www.deepl.com/translator

Please have a view at the pictures and if you think they will help you, please let me know. I can help you for translation too.

These "Füssener Modellbaublätter" (Füssen model sheets) describe the restoration of colour flakes off by Märklin locos in general and also very specific for the E 03-002. They even show at one picture a black E 03. You are not alone.BigGrin

Do you know Füssen? It is the town rigth beside Neuschwanstein, the dream castle of the Bavarian King Ludwig II in the South of Germany.

Best regards

Wolfgang
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline dominator  
#20 Posted : 13 July 2018 08:50:06(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Thanks Wolfgang. There must be quite a few of those castles in Germany. I'm not familiar with that one [ I think ]. They are great links. I'm not sure I found how or what masking tape to use between the 2 colours but I have time to sort it out. I am headed for WA net week and looking forward to see Johns layout in River Ave.

All the best.
Dereck
Offline cookee_nz  
#21 Posted : 13 July 2018 09:21:18(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Thanks Wolfgang. There must be quite a few of those castles in Germany. I'm not familiar with that one [ I think ]. They are great links. I'm not sure I found how or what masking tape to use between the 2 colours but I have time to sort it out. I am headed for WA net week and looking forward to see Johns layout in River Ave.

All the best.
Dereck

Tamiya also make a really nice modelers masking tape - I have some somewhere, nice clean lines and peels off easily
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline TEEWolf  
#22 Posted : 13 July 2018 16:09:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

All the best.
Dereck

Hello Dereck,

of course nothing is urgent. Perhaps you send me a PN for more questions, whenever you got them. The point is only, I found these description pages very helpful, but have not completely read through. To me it looks like that he describes everything to know for a restoration including the RAL colours the DB has used in the sixties for its TEE painting.

For myself it is of interest too, because I do have the same E 03 and the E 63 with the plastic bodies. But till today I am lucky. I do not have any colour detachments yet. Hopefully it remains as it is.

Best regards

Wolfgang

P.S.: Indeed we do have plenty of castles in Germany. But Neuschwanstein is the most visited one. In the summertime you hear more Chinese or Japanese then even English.Wink

There are up to 8000 visitors per day (1.6 Million visitors over a year) at this castle. You may say this castle was a dream for King Ludwig II. A similar thing for him as what we are doing with our MRR. Because this castle was not built to protect anybody or to collect customs or taxes, as all the other old ones did. No, this is the only castle in Germany which was built just for fun and to full fill somebody dream. So King Ludwig II was also nick named as the fairy-tail King (Märchenkönig)

A bit like as Hans-Peter Porsches dreamwork railroad, but even more expensive that his MRR. The Bavarian State was almost faced with an financial insolvency while his King built this castle. It is connected with an interesting but long story of the Bavarian history till to the end. And it ended up sadly while the King made suicide under the pressure of its adminsitration and other aristocracy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline dominator  
#23 Posted : 16 July 2018 01:26:28(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Wolfgang, thanks for the leads here. Great to read. I'm getting ready for a 3 week holiday in Western Australia right now so Marklin on hold for a while.

All the best.
Dereck
Offline TEEWolf  
#24 Posted : 19 July 2018 02:49:13(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi Wolfgang, thanks for the leads here. Great to read. I'm getting ready for a 3 week holiday in Western Australia right now so Marklin on hold for a while.

All the best.
Dereck

Hi Dereck,

happy holidays and a good recreation for the Märklin painting job. Smile

Meanwhile I found the page about details for paintwork again. It describes doing the masks for various colour paintings on the same surface. More after your holidays.

best regards

Wolfgang

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf