Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#51 Posted : 13 April 2018 01:36:34(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
Impossible to decide.LOL
I have 26600,26495,26496 they are all amazing.

Yes, it has been really hard for me to decide as well and you are correct that they are all quite beautiful. Cool

What may happen is that I could get the 26495 for all of the reasons I listed above, and then later there would be nothing stopping me from getting the 26496 to round out my fleet. Cool

Wow - I never intended to model anything but European railroads, but some of the US models have been just too good to pass up. I have accepted that I need a layout segment just for US prototypes and that means I now need more of these beauties. BigGrin

Märklin has totally neglected this segment to the point where I probably need to buy these older models while I still can. They really are amazing models but nothing like them has been made by Märklin in the last five years and I am losing hope for newer editions.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline TEEWolf  
#52 Posted : 13 April 2018 03:25:11(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
Nice to hear. My issue hasn´t been solved yet...

David, I am reviving an old thread and wondering if this was ever resolved for you by Märklin or not.

I have a California Zephyr set 26600 and for some irrational reason I am feeling the need to add another US streamliner to the mix. BigGrin

I can currently find new versions of the 26490, 26495 and 26496, none of which are inexpensive at this point in time. I was wondering if forum members with multiple US train sets would care to share their views of which they would buy, assuming that I am going to add only one new US passenger train to my CZ.

I love the 26496 but it is very similar to my 26600 and if I were deciding today I would most likely pick the 26495. I don't have any Alco locos yet and I particularly like the looks of the Budd coaches painted in the D&H livery. Reading this thread though has reminded me that these sets came from Märklin during what were troubled times for them and I am wondering what the quality level was like on the 26495 and 26496. I know that there are some hard core collectors of Märklin's US trains here on the forum and it would be great to be able to benefit from your experience.

Thanks in advance -- I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on this. Cool

Hello Jim,

I guess this new 26495 is still available.

https://exoneit.de/defau...d=128130&kat_id=2166

regards

Wolfgang

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline foumaro  
#53 Posted : 13 April 2018 03:56:06(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Impossible to decide.LOL
I have 26600,26495,26496 they are all amazing.

Yes, it has been really hard for me to decide as well and you are correct that they are all quite beautiful. Cool

What may happen is that I could get the 26495 for all of the reasons I listed above, and then later there would be nothing stopping me from getting the 26496 to round out my fleet. Cool

Wow - I never intended to model anything but European railroads, but some of the US models have been just too good to pass up. I have accepted that I need a layout segment just for US prototypes and that means I now need more of these beauties. BigGrin

Märklin has totally neglected this segment to the point where I probably need to buy these older models while I still can. They really are amazing models but nothing like them has been made by Märklin in the last five years and I am losing hope for newer editions.

You will not regret it,believe me.But i warn you,one double Alco is enough to make you to want them all.LOL Love BigGrin ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Alsterstreek  
#54 Posted : 14 April 2018 09:36:07(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I love running trains (thus not collecting shelf queens). For various reasons I converted to US prototype. For the same reasons I started out doing so as you did, Jim. For various reasons, I am going back in time, relying on older production runs (actually I just got myself the CZ). For the same reasons (the underlying aforementioned various ones) I rather buy an old faithful analogue F7 for restoration/alteration and digital conversion than relying on overpriced models with unknown inner “organs” (or wait for ages for the release in a desired livery); unlike the odd F7 decoder, Alco PA electronics have not let me down up to now. New cars are of course not a problem.

So what am I getting at? After educating myself and refining my taste, I found out that I am only satisfied with a certain level of plausibility regarding era and geography. Thus, my advice: You might want to consider this, too.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline dickinsonj  
#55 Posted : 14 April 2018 14:27:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

You will not regret it,believe me.But i warn you,one double Alco is enough to make you to want them all.LOL Love BigGrin ThumpUp

I am really looking forward to seeing that set of double Alco PAs. I have only seen them in pictures and they certainly look very impressive. Cool

I do worry about starting an Alco addiction, but at least Märklin seems determined to help me by not making any new ones!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dickinsonj  
#56 Posted : 14 April 2018 14:40:55(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
I love running trains (thus not collecting shelf queens). For various reasons I converted to US prototype. For the same reasons I started out doing so as you did, Jim. For various reasons, I am going back in time, relying on older production runs (actually I just got myself the CZ). For the same reasons (the underlying aforementioned various ones) I rather buy an old faithful analogue F7 for restoration/alteration and digital conversion than relying on overpriced models with unknown inner “organs” (or wait for ages for the release in a desired livery); unlike the odd F7 decoder, Alco PA electronics have not let me down up to now. New cars are of course not a problem.

Yes - my trains are also for running and not for sitting on a shelf! I love the strong, steady way that the older models run with heavy weight trains pulled by torquey motors.

I have had my share of problems with the newer models, particularly the electronics. The tried and true DCM powered locos will run forever IMO and I don't mind the somewhat noisy motors. I was running my CZ the other day along with 5 other trains and it did not stand out as being much noisier than the rest. My CZ is one of the reasons I returned to this hobby actually, since it drove me crazy thinking about that beautiful train just sitting in a box! I hope that you are enjoying your CZ as well. BigGrin

Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

So what am I getting at? After educating myself and refining my taste, I found out that I am only satisfied with a certain level of plausibility regarding era and geography. Thus, my advice: You might want to consider this, too.

I agree that collecting only what your really love is the best way to go and that your advice is sound. I will collect models of prototypes from almost any geographical location - with the one constant being a high level of fidelity to the original. I am getting to the point where I need a US branch of my layout anyway, so there is no longer a reason for me to hold back on getting more US trains. If Märklin were to actually offer us some new choices I could be in trouble, but that would be such nice trouble to be in. Cool
Regards,
Jim

Offline foumaro  
#57 Posted : 14 April 2018 21:52:30(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   

I am really looking forward to seeing that set of double Alco PAs. I have only seen them in pictures and they certainly look very impressive. Cool

I do worry about starting an Alco addiction, but at least Märklin seems determined to help me by not making any new ones!

The last one was 39617 Pennsylvania from year 2017.ThumpUp
Offline dickinsonj  
#58 Posted : 15 April 2018 01:49:08(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Yeah - those are really nice but I am not overly fond of the livery. I am at the point in my collection where I can be very, very picky. BigGrin

I have a good line on a lot of older Märklin locos which are new in the original packaging, and are available from a private collector. That is where I finally decided to get my 26495 from just this morning, so in a week or so I will have my first ALCO double set. A brand new 5 year old train set! Cool

What I really, really want is a double set of ALCO PAs in the warbonnet livery from Santa Fe, say the 37611 running with a 49611, but those are definitely long gone. Maybe Mother Märklin will take pity on me and issue a new set of cool PA locos or even a whole train. If the best that they can do is a Coke set of old F7s then my money is safe and I will keep on shopping the old model market. BigGrin

Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline foumaro  
#59 Posted : 15 April 2018 04:25:39(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   

Yeah - those are really nice but I am not overly fond of the livery. I am at the point in my collection where I can be very, very picky. BigGrin

I have a good line on a lot of older Märklin locos which are new in the original packaging, and are available from a private collector. That is where I finally decided to get my 26495 from just this morning, so in a week or so I will have my first ALCO double set. A brand new 5 year old train set! Cool

What I really, really want is a double set of ALCO PAs in the warbonnet livery from Santa Fe, say the 37611 running with a 49611, but those are definitely long gone. Maybe Mother Märklin will take pity on me and issue a new set of cool PA locos or even a whole train. If the best that they can do is a Coke set of old F7s then my money is safe and I will keep on shopping the old model market. BigGrin

Your choise is wise,you will have a great train instead of a great locomotive.But never is late,maybe you will find the ATSF livery in the future.I am waiting your impression about the set.ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline klarinettmeister  
#60 Posted : 16 April 2018 19:32:11(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Wow!

Cool to see my old thread revived. As I I've got all the Streamline sets but the Pennsylvania one.

If I'd go choose I'd say the Wabash is the coolest and also the Montreal Limited. I didn't get my case resolved though but it's still a very nice set the Wabash).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline dickinsonj  
#61 Posted : 20 April 2018 01:42:42(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
Wow!

Cool to see my old thread revived. As I I've got all the Streamline sets but the Pennsylvania one.

If I'd go choose I'd say the Wabash is the coolest and also the Montreal Limited. I didn't get my case resolved though but it's still a very nice set the Wabash).

David - does this mean that you never got the missing end pieces for those coaches?
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#62 Posted : 20 April 2018 03:56:46(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Your choice is wise,you will have a great train instead of a great locomotive.But never is late,maybe you will find the ATSF livery in the future.

Well, you are correct - It turns out that I do have a great train and I could not be more pleased!

I love the coaches, but then they are the same Budd coaches that I have enjoyed for 19 years running in my California Zephyr, so I assumed that they would be beautiful. They look particularly nice in the D&H livery though and they have better lighting, which I assume is by LED. Märklin's website does not say and there was no documentation for the coaches, but I am sure that some of you will know. Cool They definitely make a great contrast/addition to my all silver, but four dome CZ, which is running great, but still with incandescent bulbs. Those old bulbs are not energy efficient but they sure do look nice. BigGrin

I am waiting your impression about the set.ThumpUp

Well, quite frankly the Montreal Limited and in particular the PAs have blown me away. I knew that this train would be nice or I would not have bought it, but I had no ideal just how perfect it would be. Cool

Those PAs are now right at the top of my five, maybe even three most favorite locos, and I already had some pretty nice stuff running on my track. Cool

The perfect execution of these models by Märklin is even more impressive than what I could tell from the pictures. When I picked them up I was surprised that those two diesels weigh about as much as my Big Boy! They run very well and the DCM power is ideal for these heavy metal beauties -- I am sure that they will outlive me. BigGrin

And even better, they are not just pretty faces, since they are as beautifully finished and realized inside as they are on the outside. Your earlier comment about how I might need more of these PAs may turn out to be true - they really are special models which Märklin can be very proud of! BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

Offline foumaro  
#63 Posted : 20 April 2018 04:07:17(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I knew it,i am very huppy you like the train.Just save money for the others.LOL ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro