Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline klarinettmeister  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2011 16:02:36(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Here comes a very fast review of the Blue Bird as I´m busy this weekend. I don´t have time to post pictures right now, but they will come. I´ve also made a video which I´ll post.

26490 Reisezug “Blue Bird”

Length - 1760 mm.

Locomotive:
Sounds - Diesel operating sounds, horn, bell, sounds of couplers engaging, rail joints, cab radio, squealing brakes off.
Decoder + Motor = MFX with high-efficiency propulsion.
Detailment - No Issue on C-tracks.
Childen? - Age 14 and over.
Couplings – NEM with close couplers. 12 RTS couplers between the coaches and one close coupler on the front on the loco
Headlight? - 1 in front with lighted numbersigns.
Loco body - Metal.
6021 address coding - 60.
60212/3/4/5 Name at factory - THE BLUE BIRD
Traction Tyres? - Four.

Functions
F0 Headlight and signboards front.
F1 Interior lights/red marker light (cars).
F2 Sound effect: Operating sounds.
F3 Sound effect: Horn.
F4 ABV.
F5 Sound effect: Squealing brakes off
F6 Marslight
F7 Sound effect: Bell
F8 Sound effect: Sounds of couplers
F9 Sound effect: Rail joints
F10 Sound effect: Cab radio

Introduction:
Apart from the old F7 Märklin has produced one more type of diesel; the ALCO PA-1. It´s longer and has longer nose than the F7. They have been produced as single A-units and double consists. Now for the first time Märklin releases a ALCO-PA 1 as a complete passenger train (not counting the seperate Santa Fe).

Technical:
The locomotive has an MFX-decoder with sounds. It differs totally from the other PA-1 units. It sounds different from the 37610. Also the interior lighting is controlled through current-conducting RTS close couplers from the loco. The rail joints aren´t very loud and says "click" on higher speed steps (like 90) and seems to be changed with the speed. It´s a very disappointing "sound". I can only hear it when I´m very close to the loco.
There´s only one headlight, the upper light is the mars light.

Appearance:
Very nicely done, but check the signs. There was alot of threads from glue that I had to rip off. This hasn´t been any issue on any other Märklin models. Otherwise it´s what you expect for a top Märklin model.

Accessories:
11 RTS couplers in one bag (for the 6 cars), 1 imitation coupler and one front cover for the loco is included.

Summary:
It´s a very nice train. The only negative I have about it is the mentioned rail joints. Maybe there´s a problem with the decoder or a fix but it shouldn´t be like that, I think. Also I can´t find any numbering. It would have been nice to see which unit you had, just like the ICE-S. Märklin says 1999 units, but this way they could easily do 5000 and still call them limited.
Do i recommend it? If you have the money, or like american models just like me or better, both. Also on my small test layout (R3) I have no problems with the train on smaller grades.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline klarinettmeister  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2011 16:28:43(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Actually the "Wabash" signs on two (!?!) of my coaches are loose in one end and is sticking out a few milimeters and you can see the sticky glue! This hasn´t happened on any of the other 15 streamliner coaches I own. I should email Märklin directly about this. Do they accept pictures in their mail?
Offline klarinettmeister  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2011 21:44:49(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Here is the video: Wabash on youtube

Here are the pictures:
UserPostedImage
The box.

UserPostedImage
The train is protected.

UserPostedImage
The train in the box.

UserPostedImage
The ALCO PA-1.

UserPostedImage
Comparison with the 37610. Note the white LED and also note the upper headlight is turned off, which is the marslight.

UserPostedImage
End coach.

UserPostedImage
And here is one of the 3 signs that are really badly assembled. Note how it´s sticking out.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2011 22:09:33(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Hi David,

Can hardly wait, thanks for taking the time to review and post the photos.

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2011 22:25:16(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Jeremy Palmer Go to Quoted Post
Hi David,

Jeremy.

NP Jeremey. You have to tell when you´ll get yours and I hope the signs on your units will be better. BigGrin

BTW I´ve found one more flaw... on the end coach. There are dots on it where there´s missing some blue paint!! This isn´t supposed to be like that on this hich value collector´s item. I´ve just emailed Märklin.
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2011 10:22:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the review and pictures.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline jeehring  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2011 10:55:26(UTC)
jeehring

Thank you for pictures !
....this model looks so nice !
About the wrongly mounted signs, if it happens to me here in my town, I go to the dealer and ask him a exchange of the whole set...and he gives me another one . It is what he prefers too, so he can do the same with Marklin factory.....
But....
....in this particular case of a very limited serie, probably I'll ask (or he 'll propose me )to send back the set UNDER WARRANTY (activating customer's warranty : mentionning what's going wrong, letting Marklin to choose between repair, replace the coach, or replace the set, etc....etc...). This should be faster when the dealer don't have anymore items in stock....
Offline jeehring  
#8 Posted : 23 May 2011 11:34:10(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jeremy Palmer Go to Quoted Post
Hi David,

Jeremy.

NP Jeremey. You have to tell when you´ll get yours and I hope the signs on your units will be better. BigGrin

BTW I´ve found one more flaw... on the end coach. There are dots on it where there´s missing some blue paint!! This isn´t supposed to be like that on this hich value collector´s item. I´ve just emailed Märklin.

....are they "visible" dots, "very visible" dots ,situated on the top, side...or on the bottom,....big, small,...?...it seems that all is on the same coach.....so , if you choose to return it , you can mention a lack of external finish on your end coach....(?)
Offline klarinettmeister  
#9 Posted : 23 May 2011 11:35:57(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
I´ve contacted both Märklin and my dealer. My dealer will in turn contact Märklin to to adress this issue.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#10 Posted : 23 May 2011 11:46:01(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
It´s not that obvious. I think the paint has been chipped away during one of the installation processes. There are 3 places where there´s missing some of the blue paint (to the left of the boogie and one right above the boogie). Also note the white threads which were on almost every 2nd sign. Unfortunately the signs are glued badly on 3 different coaches... If this hadn´t been this limited release, nor that expensive I wouldn´t bother.

UserPostedImage

Edit: Correction. Not 3 cars, but 2 cars have the sign problem.
Offline foumaro  
#11 Posted : 23 May 2011 15:42:45(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
At least unacceptable.
Offline john black  
#12 Posted : 23 May 2011 20:42:49(UTC)
john black

United States   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post

or replace the set

NEVER !!! Chances are high you end up with good coaches but a bad loco.
Always just replace the affected items Wink
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline AshleyH  
#13 Posted : 24 May 2011 10:26:14(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Current Märklin policy is to only replace the entire set. I had this recently with my 26557 TEE Set.
I asked for the part to be exchanged, but no, the whole set had to go back, and of course over 3 months wait.

Also a couple of weeks ago I bought a new LGB Ge 4/4 II in Bernina 100 livery, two broken parts which I could have fixed, but no, the entire loco had to be returned to Germany, but at Märklin's expense. The dealer said it woould be back in one week, we are nearly two weeks now and I think it will be MUCH longer! Good Luck.

The 26490 looks a very nice set, but the price of 900 Euros is crazy. The streamline coaches were never that expensive or the Alco PA-1. If I had the money I would buy it though, but it must be perfect for the cost.

Best Regards
Ashley
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 24 May 2011 13:36:08(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
26490 diesel sound on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/...ilpage&v=WezLUwu0ZIo

Note two end coaches on the loose before end of video.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline john black  
#15 Posted : 24 May 2011 15:30:43(UTC)
john black

United States   
Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post

Current M policy is to only replace the entire set.

Price of 900 Euros is crazy. The streamline coaches were never that expensive or the Alco PA-1.

Agree 100%, Ashley ThumpUp

Well, my long time policy is to replace only the affected item(s) - talk about Murphy's Law.
And I don't give a rusty dime on M's (or any other maker's) policy, does no good to me at all.
My old dealer knows this and collects broken items from other sets - as surprise bundles to M Tongue

And that funny €900 price tag is insulting our IQs. Does M think we were that old to forget the recent past.
For their information - just a few years back I have paid €200 for the AT&SF PA-1, and €300 for the NYC PA-1 set.
The latter even included 4 freight cars, MS1, transformer and track ... Sneaky
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline klarinettmeister  
#16 Posted : 24 May 2011 16:10:21(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
26490 diesel sound on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/...ilpage&v=WezLUwu0ZIo

Note two end coaches on the loose before end of video.

Steven, it´s my video. I have a small link somewhere in my posts. BigGrin
And yes, I noted the loose coaches. That´s why I stopped the train that sudden. Blink
It´s my first experience with RTS couplers.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#17 Posted : 24 May 2011 16:21:19(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
It´s a very high price. Just like you say, the items aren´t that expensive seperately. The Amtrak coaches were 220 Euros and the ALCO-PA 1 37610 was almost 300 Euros.
But I must admit it´s a very nice train. What should I do if I get offered a new set from Märklin? I don´t want to wait another 3 months.

Ashley, did you get your set back or a new one? Was it better? I´ve sent back a broken Big Boy 37990. It came back in better condition but it wasn´t completely restored. There were still some damaged parts and they hadn´t been careful with the wooden base either... Maybe it´s better to leave it like this. It will propably have a great impact on the value, but I´m not planning on selling it. And it wouldn´t be funny finding some "WABASH" signs on the floor.

John, it sounds perfect logical to collect faulty items for one set. BigGrin Only problem is that there only was one on order at my dealer...

But if it´s their policy then that´s one way to do it.
Offline dntower85  
#18 Posted : 24 May 2011 16:38:26(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
It´s not that obvious. I think the paint has been chipped away during one of the installation processes. There are 3 places where there´s missing some of the blue paint (to the left of the boogie and one right above the boogie). Also note the white threads which were on almost every 2nd sign. Unfortunately the signs are glued badly on 3 different coaches... If this hadn´t been this limited release, nor that expensive I wouldn´t bother.

UserPostedImage

It almost looks like the plastic is broken as the curve of the wheel well is jagged and the other side with the good paint is a smooth curve.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#19 Posted : 24 May 2011 16:45:52(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: dntower85 Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

It almost looks like the plastic is broken as the curve of the wheel well is jagged and the other side with the good paint is a smooth curve.

Oh, it´s just because of the camera angle. the plastic is perfectly fine. No damage there. But the silver on the jagged line should be blue.
Offline john black  
#20 Posted : 24 May 2011 16:51:30(UTC)
john black

United States   

John, it sounds perfect logical to collect faulty items for one set BigGrin
Only problem is that there only was one on order at my dealer ...

You're so right, David - more than just one set is needed for such eye-opening operation.
And a nice dealer who cares more about his true customers than about the maker ... Laugh

Offline AshleyH  
#21 Posted : 24 May 2011 19:15:32(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
It´s a very high price. Just like you say, the items aren´t that expensive seperately. The Amtrak coaches were 220 Euros and the ALCO-PA 1 37610 was almost 300 Euros.
But I must admit it´s a very nice train. What should I do if I get offered a new set from Märklin? I don´t want to wait another 3 months.

Ashley, did you get your set back or a new one? Was it better? I´ve sent back a broken Big Boy 37990. It came back in better condition but it wasn´t completely restored. There were still some damaged parts and they hadn´t been careful with the wooden base either... Maybe it´s better to leave it like this. It will propably have a great impact on the value, but I´m not planning on selling it. And it wouldn´t be funny finding some "WABASH" signs on the floor.

John, it sounds perfect logical to collect faulty items for one set. BigGrin Only problem is that there only was one on order at my dealer...

But if it´s their policy then that´s one way to do it.

David,

If it were my set I think that I would carefully touch in the paint myself. On the edges you will not have to get an exact match, just close enough and you will not see it. Just a tiny amount of enamel or acrylic at a time with a fine brush. I have done similar 'touch ups' on other Märklin locos.

And the signs I would carefully remove and refit the ones with too much glue. Rather than use glue, use double-sided tape on the back of the signs. If you are careful it should be easy.

I have had bad experiences in the past with the Märklin Service Department, they are not careful with the packaging, though I do not think the wooden base in the Big Boy is their fault. The wooden base marks badly in transit as the wheels still move around even when the loco is screwed in place. When I returned my LGB loco I kept all the documentation to avoid damage. With my 26557 TEE Set, I think I got a new one and everything was fine so maybe it is getting better.

Regards
Ashley

Offline Deborail  
#22 Posted : 26 May 2011 16:53:21(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
Beautiful train set...How I wish it was also available for trix...I have the ALCO PA-1 union pacific double set, as well as the AMTRAK six wagon set, which i guess could be an approximation of this....
George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#23 Posted : 31 May 2011 18:58:14(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Deborail Go to Quoted Post
Beautiful train set...How I wish it was also available for trix...I have the ALCO PA-1 union pacific double set, as well as the AMTRAK six wagon set, which i guess could be an approximation of this....

Thanks! The Amtrak set is also a really beatiful set. It could very well be an approximation to this train.

I have uploaded some more pictures of the faulty signs. This is on the 2nd coach (numbered 200) and as I´ve said before it´s "only" 2 WABASH-signs that I have a problem with, not 3.

UserPostedImage
This is a detailed picture from when I opened the box. 2nd coach, number 200

UserPostedImage
And this the 2nd coach from above.

I hope I don´t discourage anyone buying this set but you should note these possible faults. Otherwise it's an absolutely beatiful train.

Offline foumaro  
#24 Posted : 01 June 2011 11:50:29(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am impressed with your tolerance and patience.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Alfa V8  
#25 Posted : 05 June 2011 20:34:35(UTC)
Alfa V8

Here comes a very fast review of the Blue Bird as I´m busy this weekend. I don´t have time to post pictures right now, but they will come. I´ve also made a video which I´ll post.

I received my Blue Bird set a few days ago, none of the defects on mine that Klarinettmeister mentioned he had on his set, a very nice set indeed. My personal opinion is that "M" should do away with the five pole high eficency motor drive with all straight cut gears which are at their best rather noisy. Having said that I must report that after a few actual kilometers running in the mechanism sound level has dropped to acceptable levels but not as silent as the cheap line loks with can motors and all wheel drive systems.

Have not taken any pictures yet, will post a link with a few images at a later stage

Hannes
Every day provides new opertunities. H0 mostly Marklin, still using my 6021, LGB in Gauge 1, live steam in larger gauges.
Offline Marius in Africa  
#26 Posted : 09 June 2011 15:35:48(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Recieved my set as well earlier this week. One of the coaches has "chipped" paint work, fortunately it is on the underside so it will not visable while the unit is on the track. I am going to attempt a touch-up on the chips though. Any one know the colour code for the blue paint on this set?

Also received my Class 150 (37851) which does have damaged paintwork. Mad Mad

These items arrived in perfect packaging, i assume that the paint damage occured in the Marklin factory. Will post a review and pictures (in the correct place) later this week.

Regards
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#27 Posted : 09 June 2011 23:17:19(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Seriously... I haven´t had any issues at all on older models, but since last year I´m starting having some. I had some motor problems with the 37624 and now this. And these are my only new released trains from 2010 and 2011. That´s 100% of the new models with problems! What´s happened with the QC at Märklin?

Marius, have you contacted your dealer about the 37581?
Offline Marius in Africa  
#28 Posted : 10 June 2011 06:36:38(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Seriously... I haven´t had any issues at all on older models, but since last year I´m starting having some. I had some motor problems with the 37624 and now this. And these are my only new released trains from 2010 and 2011. That´s 100% of the new models with problems! What´s happened with the QC at Märklin?

Marius, have you contacted your dealer about the 37581?

Not yet David. The plan is to take photographs this weekend. I want send the pictures along with the e-mail to the dealer. A potential problem is of course the shipping cost, i am sure the dealer will give me an answer.

Edited by user 12 June 2011 06:52:58(UTC)  | Reason: added picture

Marius in Africa attached the following image(s):
Paintwork damage Blue Bird.JPG
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline Bryan  
#29 Posted : 10 June 2011 07:25:31(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi Marcus

I would try a dark blue felt pen to dull the slightly missing blue paint.
Try on a piece of white platicard first and see how it matches when dry with the original.
The advantage of the felt pen is the tip is very small and easy to targent the white and not the original paint.
It should just dull the white to near blue and you will hardly notice it. Else use a humbol darrk blue paint with a match stick sharpened to a point.

Cheers
Bryan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline Bryan  
#30 Posted : 10 June 2011 07:29:29(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
The Marklin Insider package 03/11 has arrived in Sydney Thursday 9/06/ii
Offline jeehring  
#31 Posted : 10 June 2011 08:29:49(UTC)
jeehring

....I agree with Brian, to make small retouches, it is sometimes better to use inks , instead of paints....
Ink is the best way....we can find today some interesting colors....and with particular colors we may find them...on current simple pen felt !
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Marius in Africa  
#32 Posted : 15 June 2011 15:09:37(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
I decided to do a brief comparison between Blue Bird locomotive and my UP version of the PA1. Externally there is no difference other than the colour scheme and the misaligned horn. Underneath the drive gear is identical, same metal gears and 4 traction tires.

Internally the motor is fitted with only one capacitor, the decoder is different and there is one humungous capacitor fitted near the circuit board / decoder. The loudspeaker is the same Acoustec product as before.

Once on the track i noticed two differences. The Blue Bird crawls very well at very low speeds and the sound effects improved. It crawls at 1km (the lowest selectable speed on my controller) without any jerking / stuttering at all. The UP version starts jerking at 3km. The additional sound effects are good, the compressor blow off, brake squeal and diesel engine shut down is really convincing.

And the surprise; the amount of current drawn by the coach lights, ± 700 mA (all coaches connected). Any other members who have checked the current consumption on the coach lighting? I assume the lights inside the coaches are incandescent globes.

The mechanical sound levels generated by the locos are very similar. The weight of the locos is the same at 774 g.

The settings which i changed are: The maximum speed setting
The acceleration delay
The deceleration delay
The sound track volume
The speed table (to a more linear response)

Regards
Marius in Africa attached the following image(s):
BB vs UP 1.JPG
Love the skew horn.JPG
Naked.JPG
BB vs UP.JPG
Marius in Africa

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marius in Africa
Offline klarinettmeister  
#33 Posted : 15 June 2011 23:16:00(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Marius, thanks for the internal pictures. I agree with your observations. It´s very similar to my 37610 as well but many improvements.

I´ve boxed my Blue Bird, waiting to hear an answer from Märklin. They´ve used light bulbs propably to cut costs. Also the California Zephyr consumes alot of power. BTW.... look at the rear coach. Is also your curcuitboard bent down? Mine is and makes it possible to see the light diffuser even when your level with the windows. Maybe it´s like 20 degree angle. So you´ll be blinded looking through the windows on the rear coach.
Offline jeehring  
#34 Posted : 17 June 2011 17:08:59(UTC)
jeehring

...excuse me, what is a "HUMUNGOUS" capacitor ?....
I understand that is a kind of capacitor.....knowing charateristics one day....and which exact place it is connected to ,...should be interesting....
The Blue bird is undubitably a super nice set.....but not for my wallet , not this year....
I'm planning to find consolation at the end of the year with the Austrian special E 18 in Jaffa livery, with the set of 5 coaches in similar Jaffa livery....
I just have been creating a new theme, unrealistic - but should we make only realistic things - just a classical theme out of geography : the most beautiful passenger consists on European mainlines between 1965 and 1985...this new theme will start with the Austrian consist rolling together with a Berlin-Leipzig train consist (green + all green coaches)+ my TEE "Etoile du Nord" consist with PBA coaches pulled by a CC 40100 + the Sudwind consist pulled by E103....surely an improbable scenery in the real world but beautiful sight on a layout...Their common point is the Era round about the seventies, those trains were contemporaneous with each other, my layout is the imaginary country on which they can pass each other

Edited by user 18 June 2011 15:13:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline nevw  
#35 Posted : 17 June 2011 23:44:42(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I understand that is a kind of capacitor.....knowing charateristics one day....and which exact place it is connected to ,...should be interesting....

a "HUMUNGOUS" capacitor is a very large capacitor. A little bit of Slang.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline jeehring  
#36 Posted : 18 June 2011 02:31:00(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post

a "HUMUNGOUS" capacitor is a very large capacitor. A little bit of Slang.

NN

thank you Nevw....ThumpUp
Offline Armando  
#37 Posted : 28 June 2011 22:44:47(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi David,

Were you able to repair (i.e. to glue back in place) the signs that were coming off? If so, what kind of product did you use? I received my Blue Bird last week, and sure enough the edges of the signs were coming off (warping out) on one of the coaches. I suppose that, eventually, all signs will come off.

Bad quality control at Marklin, why should I be surprised?
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline jeehring  
#38 Posted : 29 June 2011 01:30:05(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
Hi David,

Were you able to repair (i.e. to glue back in place) the signs that were coming off? If so, what kind of product did you use? I received my Blue Bird last week, and sure enough the edges of the signs were coming off (warping out) on one of the coaches. I suppose that, eventually, all signs will come off.

...this is not as serious as "too much glue"...like I've seen sometimes on some series from other brands....
let me recommend a very liquid glue, a strong "cyano...": the same one recommended to glue small photo etched metal parts...so we just have to dip a needle and just put a trace of it...(do it quickly, it drys within a few seconds...)
Offline klarinettmeister  
#39 Posted : 29 June 2011 15:58:57(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Hi David,

Armando. No, I haven´t done anything at all. I´m still waiting for a reply from my dealer. Meanwhile it´s in the box. It´s sad to hear your set also had the same problems. Otherwise I have to do as Jeehring suggests... But I´ll wait for the reply from my dealer...

Did you contact your dealer? It´s really bad quality check. There are no problems of this kind on any of my other Streamliner cars (I have all but one).
Offline Armando  
#40 Posted : 29 June 2011 19:52:08(UTC)
Armando

United States   

Armando. No, I haven´t done anything at all. I´m still waiting for a reply from my dealer. Meanwhile it´s in the box. It´s sad to hear your set also had the same problems. Otherwise I have to do as Jeehring suggests... But I´ll wait for the reply from my dealer...

Did you contact your dealer? It´s really bad quality check. There are no problems of this kind on any of my other Streamliner cars (I have all but one).

Hej David,

Yes, I did contact my dealer about this issue, in order to ask for his opinion and my options. I am waiting for his reply. In my case, it is the diner coach that has the problem. But I'm sure that eventually, all coaches will be plagued by the same quality issue, as the cause must be the glue they've used. Indeed, the solution is simple, as Jeehring suggests. But it annoys me greatly to have to resort to this given that it is a $1,000 or more item (which, in addition, is supposed to be an exclusive item). I also noticed another problem, there was some gunk clinging to one side of the ALCO PA locomotive. It looked like some make-up cream or powder stain. Maybe someone with long painted nails did not wash her hands thoroughly before returning to the production line in Göpppingen... Go figure!Confused Fortunately, I was able to remove it with a little patience, a fine brush and some tiny quantity of smoke fluid.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline klarinettmeister  
#41 Posted : 29 June 2011 20:39:35(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   

Hej David,

Yes, I did contact my dealer about this issue, in order to ask for his opinion and my options. I am waiting for his reply. In my case, it is the diner coach that has the problem. But I'm sure that eventually, all coaches will be plagued by the same quality issue, as the cause must be the glue they've used. Indeed, the solution is simple, as Jeehring suggests. But it annoys me greatly to have to resort to this given that it is a $1,000 or more item (which, in addition, is supposed to be an exclusive item). I also noticed another problem, there was some gunk clinging to one side of the ALCO PA locomotive. It looked like some make-up cream or powder stain. Maybe someone with long painted nails did not wash her hands thoroughly before returning to the production line in Göpppingen... Go figure!Confused Fortunately, I was able to remove it with a little patience, a fine brush and some tiny quantity of smoke fluid.

This is terrible! I´ve never had any issues with any trains before. Only one instance with a bad motor, but considering how many trains I´ve bought. Well, hope you´ll get an reply soon. I´m still waiting...
Offline Armando  
#42 Posted : 03 July 2011 17:00:55(UTC)
Armando

United States   
I asked my dealer to check out with Walther's if they were going to implement some recall policy on this item. He wrote back to confirm that he was going to contact them about it. We'll see.
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Armando
Offline witzlerh  
#43 Posted : 19 December 2011 20:58:46(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I just recieved my Blue Bird yesterday and my initial impression was WOW!.
However I did notice a couple of the signs lifting off as mentioned in other posts. That is easily fixable.
However 2 coachs have one of their wheel sets pushed in too far to widen the frames so that the cone bearing on the wheel set will slide past.
These cars will not run on the track. This has happened to me before on a hobby set where the packaging was too tight.
For an expensive exclusive set, I am not impressed. I had more fun and satisfaction from a basic start set.
Will discuss this with my dealer and Märklin.

Have attached images but not in the order that makes sense. First time for everyting.
201 Truck End and 201 Truck Top show one of the 2 bent trucks Bad Truck 201 shows the other truck.
An example of the Glue Fuss is also included but it was easy to wipe all off with a clean microfiber cloth.
The Bullet Lighting and the Scenic Lighting images are a good example of the only lighting variance I have with this set.
The bullet car seems to have weaker lighting on the opposite end of the bullet. The rest of the train has great lighting but I would perhaps tone down the dining car lighting.
witzlerh attached the following image(s):
201 Truck End.JPG
201 Truck Top.JPG
Bad Truck 201.JPG
Bullet Lighting.JPG
Glue Fuss Example.JPG
Scenic Lighting.JPG
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Nielsenr  
#44 Posted : 19 December 2011 22:12:14(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I picked up my Wabash Bluebird last Thursday ... guess I had better get it out of the box and take a close look at it ...

Robert
Offline klarinettmeister  
#45 Posted : 20 December 2011 08:00:43(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Harald, that is not impressive by Märklin. As this is a very limited train the quality check should be much much better.
I haven´t got any reply from my dealer and I´ve owned my set for half a year now.

I recommend everyone to inspect their new models very carefully. i´ve been having some kind of problems on all new trains since last year beginning with 37624 (bad motor part in one of the engines), 37629 (someone forgot to paint a few details) and the 26490.
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#46 Posted : 20 December 2011 15:43:24(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Speaking subject to correction, being married to an attorney I get corrected alot, I can't seem
to remember other high end sets, 37605,37606 and 07, having these issues, what's going on?

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline witzlerh  
#47 Posted : 21 February 2012 17:21:40(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Märklin and Walthers came through!
After about a month, they agreed to to help me out and replace some of the cars. I now have a completely functional, beautiful train!
I will fix my box so that the trucks do not get crushed next time I store the train.

As for the lighting issues I noticed the following.
The dining car appears the brightest due to the red seats and white table clothes that reflect the most light.Cool

The Bullet car(Park car for Canadians) is slightly dimmer, probably due to the LEDs drawing a little Voltage.
I did add a piece of black construction paper to block out as much as the LED lights that spilled out to the passenger car. The LED is used for the marker lights.
I also moved the dining car a car length away from the Bullet car so that the dimness is not as noticiable.
Now I need people inside!

Now a happy customer!BigGrin
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline klarinettmeister  
#48 Posted : 24 February 2012 10:04:09(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Nice to hear. My issue hasn´t been solved yet...
Offline dickinsonj  
#49 Posted : 12 April 2018 15:16:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Nice to hear. My issue hasn´t been solved yet...

David, I am reviving an old thread and wondering if this was ever resolved for you by Märklin or not.

I have a California Zephyr set 26600 and for some irrational reason I am feeling the need to add another US streamliner to the mix. BigGrin

I can currently find new versions of the 26490, 26495 and 26496, none of which are inexpensive at this point in time. I was wondering if forum members with multiple US train sets would care to share their views of which they would buy, assuming that I am going to add only one new US passenger train to my CZ.

I love the 26496 but it is very similar to my 26600 and if I were deciding today I would most likely pick the 26495. I don't have any Alco locos yet and I particularly like the looks of the Budd coaches painted in the D&H livery. Reading this thread though has reminded me that these sets came from Märklin during what were troubled times for them and I am wondering what the quality level was like on the 26495 and 26496. I know that there are some hard core collectors of Märklin's US trains here on the forum and it would be great to be able to benefit from your experience.

Thanks in advance -- I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on this. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline foumaro  
#50 Posted : 12 April 2018 19:04:42(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Impossible to decide.LOL
I have 26600,26495,26496 they are all amazing.I do not have 26490,i think that one locomotive is not enough for a heavy train,the 26490 have six metal coaches.If it is possible and you can pay the price,buy them all.Love Wub ThumpUp
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by foumaro