Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2018 07:34:02(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hello,

I would like to install the interior lighting (#7333) in the Württemberg style Märklin Mail car. The bogies come with the openings to fit both the slider and the grounding, however, there are no instructions on how to remove the roof or the body on this car.

Has anyone ever done it?

Thanks in advance.

Mail Car.jpg
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2018 14:08:56(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Is the model number available? If it is this one ( https://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=112384 ), then the roof can apparently be clipped off after removal of the handrails at the brakeman's cabin. These handrails seem to be part of the roof assembly.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2018 14:51:47(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

I did it on other wurttemberg cars (but not on the mail car). It goes by pulling up the roof very gently as it clips on the part doing the transparent Windows and the small latching hole breaks easily.
Good luck

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Armando  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2018 16:23:13(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Is the model number available? If it is this one ( https://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=112384 ), then the roof can apparently be clipped off after removal of the handrails at the brakeman's cabin. These handrails seem to be part of the roof assembly.

Thank you for copying the link from the Stummi Forum. The car is part of the 26556 Württemberg train set.

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Armando  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2018 21:17:34(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for copying the link from the Stummi Forum. The car is part of the 26556 Württemberg train set.

Edited by user 11 April 2018 04:30:32(UTC)  | Reason: Removed picture, and moved it to another post below.

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 09 April 2018 19:26:49(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Armando,

I have an older Württemberg mail car, #4229, which looks identical to your mail car from the 26556 set. As Stefan suggests you do have to remove the two handrails which just push into the brakeman's cab. Then the roof can be gently uncliped and lifted off. I lighted that coach a long time ago and with the clerestory windows in the roof it looks very nice.

As an aside, last year I bought some newer Württemberg coaches to complete my Beautiful Lady train and although they look very similar to the older coaches there are no lighting sets available for them from Märklin, which is unfortunate.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 09 April 2018 21:33:04(UTC)
Goofy

I thought it was to bending both side of the body outside to open the body.
You can install the lighting inside of the wagon by use other products.
Just use your fantasy and find solution.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 09 April 2018 21:47:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I thought it was to bending both side of the body outside to open the body.

The docs with the other Württemberg coaches showed prying up the roof to get into them, so I just used that technique on this postal car as well.
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

You can install the lighting inside of the wagon by use other products.
Just use your fantasy and find solution.

Yes - I will definitely have to use some other kind of lighting if I ever want those coaches to be lighted. I have thought about the battery powered led lights that have motion detectors as one solution. The older Württemberg coaches which I added lighting to many years ago each have a slider, which is not really ideal either. Maybe someday I will get around to working on that but for now I just say that the people in the dark coaches are sleeping. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline Ross  
#9 Posted : 10 April 2018 00:19:27(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Armando/All,

As you are wanting to install LED lights in this coach I thought you maybe interested in the following article.

Wurttemburg platform cars

With the LED lights installed it makes for a great looking train. I hope you find it useful.

Ross
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline dickinsonj  
#10 Posted : 10 April 2018 00:46:04(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hello Armando/All,

As you are wanting to install LED lights in this coach I thought you maybe interested in the following article.

With the LED lights installed it makes for a great looking train. I hope you find it useful.

Awesome! Thanks so much Ross.

I need to get three more of the 7333 kits, basically for the light diffusers. That is a good solution on the connectors between cars and looks easier than retrofitting CC couplers, which was my plan. That is a good idea to cover the diffusers with foil, all except for the postal car which has those cool roof windows. I need to continue my process of replacing my incandescent lighting with LEDs and it will be a beautiful train once all on my coaches are lighted.

I feel like such a slacker though, since I don't have four trains with 8 cars each! I only have one train with 9 cars (6 coaches, 1 medical car (on order), 1 baggage car and 1 postal car) and that still seems like a big project to me. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Ross  
#11 Posted : 10 April 2018 23:56:55(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Jim/All,

I'm glad you liked the article to hone your skillsBigGrin

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Awesome! Thanks so much Ross.

BigGrin

Ross
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 11 April 2018 01:40:28(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Hi Jim/All,

And they do indeed need honed! BigGrin

That is a very nice project and a great solution to a problem that all of us who love the old passenger wagons share. How to keep the classic look, make them run nicely and have modern lighting.

I have some ideas of my own about this project and if it works I will share some images. If not I will say "Thanks Ross" I did just what you suggested. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

Offline Armando  
#13 Posted : 11 April 2018 04:29:15(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Thank you all for the comments received, and for the links to valuable information.

I was ultimately able to remove the roofs from the Württemberg-style mail cars. It's not so evident. Best is, after removing the handrails, to pry the brakeman's cabin side gently, which will allow the roof to become disengaged.

I exchanged the original analog bulbs included in the 7333 lighting kit for the digital ones (E610080). This reduces both the heat and the intensity that the analog bulbs give off in digital operation and provides a softer, cozier atmosphere.

I will later attempt to incorporate the current conducting couplers into the whole consist, which will require soldering the live cable on both sides of the car.

This is a picture of the final effect:

Mail Car 2.jpg
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Armando
Offline Ross  
#14 Posted : 13 April 2018 00:27:56(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Jim/All,

Yes there are many ways to improve the lighting so if we can combine the best ideas that would be great. With all my projects I like to experiment to try and get the best results so the next project will be easier.

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jim/All,

And they do indeed need honed! BigGrin

That is a very nice project and a great solution to a problem that all of us who love the old passenger wagons share. How to keep the classic look, make them run nicely and have modern lighting.

I have some ideas of my own about this project and if it works I will share some images. If not I will say "Thanks Ross" I did just what you suggested. BigGrin

Ross
Offline Ross  
#15 Posted : 13 April 2018 00:39:00(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Armando/All,

It's always good to improve the lighting where you can on the older type of cars with bulbs. My aim was to reduce the current consumption and to reduce the heat as much as possible by using LED's. You didn't mention if you could control the lighting but I would recommend you do so as any bulb left on will generate heat and there is a possibility it will affect the plastic roof. I don't think the heat shields in these coaches are very good.

All the best for you further lighting projects.

Thank you all for the comments received, and for the links to valuable information.

I was ultimately able to remove the roofs from the Württemberg-style mail cars. It's not so evident. Best is, after removing the handrails, to pry the brakeman's cabin side gently, which will allow the roof to become disengaged.

I exchanged the original analog bulbs included in the 7333 lighting kit for the digital ones (E610080). This reduces both the heat and the intensity that the analog bulbs give off in digital operation and provides a softer, cozier atmosphere.

I will later attempt to incorporate the current conducting couplers into the whole consist, which will require soldering the live cable on both sides of the car.

This is a picture of the final effect:

Ross
Offline GlennM  
#16 Posted : 15 April 2018 14:07:53(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Hello Armando/All,

Ross,

A wonderfully detailed description of how to install the lighting, for us Luddites ThumpUp ThumpUp

Many thanks
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Ross  
#17 Posted : 16 April 2018 00:02:25(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Glen,

Thanks for your comments and ThumpUp . I'm sure a few people will find the article useful.

Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

Ross,

A wonderfully detailed description of how to install the lighting, for us Luddites ThumpUp ThumpUp

Many thanks

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline Armando  
#18 Posted : 16 April 2018 19:04:27(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi Armando/All,

It's always good to improve the lighting where you can on the older type of cars with bulbs. My aim was to reduce the current consumption and to reduce the heat as much as possible by using LED's. You didn't mention if you could control the lighting but I would recommend you do so as any bulb left on will generate heat and there is a possibility it will affect the plastic roof. I don't think the heat shields in these coaches are very good.

All the best for you further lighting projects.

Thanks for all this valuable information. Installing LEDs will be the object of a subsequent project. After replacing the original ("analog") bulbs for the "digital" ones, the heat exposure is considerably lower. I do not expect it to affect the car's roofs. And I like the warm quality of the bulb lighting.
Best regards,
Armando García