Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MaerklinLife  
#51 Posted : 19 March 2018 13:46:21(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
For example it got faster since then and now includes a VNC server (another unique feature - you can operate the main screen remotely from your PC).

Not really. The CS3 can do that as well.
Offline David Dewar  
#52 Posted : 19 March 2018 17:37:23(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Think I have said before that this type of thread does not really help anybody. There is useful information about both controllers and which is best for running Marklin mfx+ locos.

For me I am not able to try any before I buy and on reading all of the above I really dont find any answer. This is not that members are trying to be helpful but what comes through is that those using Marklin think they are OK (New CS3 still has problems though) and those with ESU always think they are great and are defend their purchase.

I am not aware of sales as to which controller sells the most but it is normal for a minority to speak up louder in support of their choice.

For me I will in the next few months buy a CS3 plus because I support and like Marklin and I buy nothing from ESU anyway. It could well be given the chance to try an ESU I would buy it but as said that is not possible.

What would be useful would be somebody who is neutral who could test both on a Marklin layout (similar to the car magazine tests) and give an unbiased view.

However I respect all opinions on here and in particular Tom who is well up on all model rail and provides excellent help. All I can say is I have an excellent CS2 which keeps going year after year and I expect I will keep as a second controller.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#53 Posted : 19 March 2018 19:28:50(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I just came across a review of the Ecos in the January 2011 edition of Digitale Modellbahn
Naturally a review that is seven years old cannot cover improvements of the last 7 years.

No, of course not! That's why we rely on people such as yourself to bring us up to date. Still, I thought it might be useful to some.... If not, you can always read the article about adding power buffer capacitors to your loco conversions.

Would you rather that I didn't post the magazine at all....!?

Edited by user 19 March 2018 23:37:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jcrtrains  
#54 Posted : 20 March 2018 01:20:59(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
A very good thread. I am on the low fidelity, low tech end of the spectrum. I use these:

Atlas oldy

Unfortunately blew the 2 year budget on catenary as well. Perhaps in the future.

Offline DasBert33  
#55 Posted : 20 March 2018 07:58:34(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi all,

I'm using my B/W ecos since the first days it was available here in Belgium. That was in 2005. It has been updated to the latest FW and running ever since.

The only issues I had were related to the potentiometer in the throttle. It started to give false contacts, and with that erratic speed behaviour. It was quickly fixed however, as soon as I found out there are actually 4 potentiometer channels in each throttle. You can easily use either potentiometer for the throttle, and thats what I did.

I have been tempted before to buy a CS3, but with all the apparent issues, I will likely stay with my ecos for a few years to come, until it breaks. It is true that the screen looks really dated now, but it is functional and that is what counts.

Bert
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DasBert33
Offline Bart  
#56 Posted : 20 March 2018 23:39:45(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Bart Go to Quoted Post
Is the Bus similar in ECoS and CS3/3+?
CS1, ECoS, CS2, and CS3 all use the CAN bus.
But CS2 and MS2 introduced a new, incompatible protocol. CS2 supports the protocols for MS1 and MS2, but CS1/ECoS only support the MS1.

The ECoSBoost can be used with the CS1 (even without ESU update), but probably not with CS2 or CS3.
The L.Net adapter works with ECoS and CS1R. Märklin could make the CS2 or CS3 use it too, if they wanted and if they worked with ESU.

With respect to unique features: CS1 and ECoS have the Sniffer port. You can attach the output of other digital controllers to the Sniffer port and use them as additional throttles.
The Sniffer port also allows you to control which locos can be controlled. You can e.g. attach an MS2/trackbox to the Sniffer and use it for children or visitors and limit which trains they can control.
You can also use a CS2 as a slave by connecting it to the Sniffer.

Thanks to all, this tread has been very helpful.

With 300 locos, I am a huge mfx fan, having a mix of Esu and mLD/mSD conversions.
A major requirement for me would be an intuitive, graphical menu to program loco decoders, e.g., assigning Aux outputs to F keys, including complex logical functions (Aux1 = F0, not F8, not F9)
With my current IB II, Esu LokProgrammer and 60971 programmer, I see no way to easily access and program all decoders' logical functions

How do CS3 and ECoS compare in terms of decoder programming? Intuitive graphical interface? Logical function programming? Do both give full access to Mä/Esu, proprietary Esu, mLD and mLD3 decoders?
*Bart
Offline kiwiAlan  
#57 Posted : 20 March 2018 23:58:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Thanks to all, this tread has been very helpful.

With 300 locos, I am a huge mfx fan, having a mix of Esu and mLD/mSD conversions.
A major requirement for me would be an intuitive, graphical menu to program loco decoders, e.g., assigning Aux outputs to F keys, including complex logical functions (Aux1 = F0, not F8, not F9)
With my current IB II, Esu LokProgrammer and 60971 programmer, I see no way to easily access and program all decoders' logical functions

How do CS3 and ECoS compare in terms of decoder programming? Intuitive graphical interface? Logical function programming? Do both give full access to Mä/Esu, proprietary Esu, mLD and mLD3 decoders?

If you are already using an IB2 then set up JMRI on a PC and connect that to the IB. This will give you a graphical interface for programming ESU decoders. The Marklin decoders are in the process of being added to JMRI (don't know how long this is going to take) which will then also provide a graphical interface for them as well.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bart  
#58 Posted : 22 March 2018 13:07:35(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

If you are already using an IB2 then set up JMRI on a PC and connect that to the IB. This will give you a graphical interface for programming ESU decoders. The Marklin decoders are in the process of being added to JMRI (don't know how long this is going to take) which will then also provide a graphical interface for them as well.

Many thanks, that may prove very useful.

My other purpose was to gather information on the choice for ECoS vs. CS3.

How are mLD/mSD and LoPi decoders being programmed on ECoS and CS3?

Any screenshots would be helpful to get an impression.
Anyone experience with assigning complex functions to Aux outputs (e.g., for SBB red/white tail lights/consists)?
*Bart
Offline Bart  
#59 Posted : 23 March 2018 07:29:58(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   

How are mLD/mSD and LoPi decoders being programmed on ECoS and CS3?

Any screenshots would be helpful to get an impression.
Anyone experience with assigning complex functions to Aux outputs (e.g., for SBB red/white tail lights/consists)?

I found this link on function mapping with ECoS - which seems very convenient

http://www.esu.eu/support/tipps...-mit-decoderfamilie-v40/

UserPostedImage

Does this work with non-ESU (mLD) decoders as well on ECoS?

Any equivalent user-friendly function mapping on CS3?

*Bart
Offline H0  
#60 Posted : 23 March 2018 08:35:58(UTC)
H0

I found this link on function mapping with ECoS - which seems very convenient
Yes.
The nice UI of the ECoS only supports non-mfx decoders from ESU and mfx decoders from any brand.

For ESU V 3 and V 3.5 decoders the UI is even nicer. The advanced features of the V 4 decoders require a more complicated UI. And for those V 4 decoders the LokProgrammer with a large PC screen makes things even easier.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Danlake  
#61 Posted : 23 March 2018 08:37:04(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Regarding CV programming I find the CS3 lacking.

Esu ECOS has a more logic menu with one for DCC and another for MM (note for mfx you are not using direct CV programming).

The CS3 is instead using a concept of CV profiles. These can be preloaded templates of generic decoder profiles or you can make your own. As such a good idea but it’s confusing if you just want to program one new value to a CV (or known as direct CV programming).

It’s also lacking a read functions, so you can e.g. not read a CV value of a DCC decoder. Many times this can be handy to check what the CV value is before trying to change it. As I recall with CS2 it would possible to both read and write to programming track.

Also I don’t like the instant writing of CV values with CS3 and had experienced other strange bugs while trying to program DCC decoders. So for all my programming Iam using the lokprogrammer now.

Still hope that Marklin will optimise the menus for CV programming and fix the bugs, in which case it would a much greater product.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
H0
Offline H0  
#62 Posted : 23 March 2018 09:17:23(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Still hope that Marklin will optimise the menus for CV programming and fix the bugs, in which case it would a much greater product.
Hope never dies, but both CS2 and MS2 have old bugs that were reported to Märklin years ago - and we still have to live with our well-known workarounds.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline michelvr  
#63 Posted : 24 March 2018 14:00:21(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
ThumpUp Marklin will be issuing an update to correct the German in the English instructions which pop up on the controller assistant text fields some time April.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr