Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2016 07:42:43(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I was asked a question today by someone, who shall remain nameless. The question is, "Are there any Marklin Locomotives, other than railcars, that were delivered with current conducting couplers for lighting passenger wagons?" The person was under the impression that the locomotive was a diesel.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2016 08:11:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Adrian, I remain shameless, can't think of one

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 13 April 2016 08:13:40(UTC)
H0

The answer to the question is: "Yes."

I'm under the impression that the unwritten list would include diesel locos.
I assume that locos from train sets are to be included in the list.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2016 08:44:54(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I was asked a question today by someone, who shall remain nameless. The question is, "Are there any Marklin Locomotives, other than railcars, that were delivered with current conducting couplers for lighting passenger wagons?" The person was under the impression that the locomotive was a diesel.

Hi.
For one, the DB electric BR 111 from the MHI Lufthansa Express that was just delivered a few months ago does, on one of the extremities.
Does that answers the question ?
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2016 09:27:03(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yes thank you Jacques and Tom.

My answer to the person was the same as John's.. Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 13 April 2016 09:55:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I think the first that came with this feature was the Glaskasten. All the early versions had the ability to power the lighting in the matching coaches.

Please feel free to disagree...
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#7 Posted : 13 April 2016 11:32:05(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I don't know if it count as such but wasn't there also a set with a Br23 (26543) that has a conducting coupler although might not be a standard coupler.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 13 April 2016 12:24:13(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Swedish set 28703 does, I believe both ends of the loko are current conducting.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 13 April 2016 13:55:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Many of the passenger sets from recent years include current conducting couplers of some sort to power the lighting in the coaches. Some are non-standard and can only be used within the set.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline akerstdi  
#10 Posted : 13 April 2016 13:56:25(UTC)
akerstdi

United States   
Hello all,
The 37069 that I just bought has current conductor couplings on both ends.

Regards,
Doran
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by akerstdi
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 13 April 2016 14:20:49(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Br V80 #36082 does on both ends.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 14 April 2016 00:28:39(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So given that the locomotives I have don't have current conducting couplers but will likely be pulling passenger coaches I want to fit with lighting, and preferably pull power from the one slider to be used on the train....

Is there an established and solid procedure & parts set for putting current conducting couplers on a locomotive and powering it from the decoders within? (a diagram, relay and other electronics parts, etc)
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline xxup  
#13 Posted : 14 April 2016 01:49:27(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks for those Doran and Matt..

Keep them coming guys.. This will be a handy future reference for others
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline biedmatt  
#14 Posted : 14 April 2016 04:37:36(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
So given that the locomotives I have don't have current conducting couplers but will likely be pulling passenger coaches I want to fit with lighting, and preferably pull power from the one slider to be used on the train....

Is there an established and solid procedure & parts set for putting current conducting couplers on a locomotive and powering it from the decoders within? (a diagram, relay and other electronics parts, etc)

If the coupler pocket is NEM, then you could do something like this:
https://www.marklin-user...ing-couplers--No-problem
Matt
Era 3
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 14 April 2016 06:20:26(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
There was a DB S-Bahn commuter set that came with current conducting couplers and may have also included slider changeover between the locomotive and the pilot coach. Off the top of my head, I cannot recall the number.

It is not too difficult to connect a current conducting coupler with cable (Viessmann, etc), but if using the Maerklin current conducting close coupler, you have to design some kind of contact in the NEM socket and a way to conduct the power between coupler and decoder or coupler and slider. If you want to have a multi pole connection, say for red or white lights, you will need to use Roco or other current conducting couplers.

Regards

Mike C
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#16 Posted : 14 April 2016 09:02:10(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Br V80 #36082 does on both ends.

Yes, and Marklin has also the 43131 and 43132 Donnerbusches with conducting couplers to match the loco

My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline 3rail4life  
#17 Posted : 15 April 2016 01:05:07(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
The Märklin 26496 Santa Fe Super Chief, F 7, A-B-B has a current conducting coupler on the end of last B unit to power the coach lighting via a decoder function. Cool
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline dickinsonj  
#18 Posted : 15 April 2016 01:33:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
The Märklin 26496 Santa Fe Super Chief, F 7, A-B-B has a current conducting coupler on the end of last B unit to power the coach lighting via a decoder function. Cool

And so does my California Zephyr - The F7 passenger sets are some of the most beautiful items that Marklin has ever made IMO. I think that they are overlooked because they are an odd fit with all of the European trains. Oh well - they are too good to pass up for me.

Some older sets are powered from the observation cars and the newer ones such as the Super Chief, like Gordon has, are powered from the locomotive. That is a beautiful train and I really want one on my layout.

Cheers,

Jim
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline witzlerh  
#19 Posted : 15 April 2016 05:17:57(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
My Wabash Blue Bird train lights is also powered by the lok.
However, due to the current draw of all the lights, there was a relay that the decoder powered.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline kiwiAlan  
#20 Posted : 16 April 2016 13:19:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

The 3387/3687 Glaskasten is one of the earliest steam locos I know of with conducting couplers, designed to be used with the 4301/2/3 coach and baggage wagon set. I can't remember if the 3686 version had current conducting couplers. These came out in the early-mid 1990s.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline QQQ1970  
#21 Posted : 18 March 2018 11:48:29(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I have 43131 and BR 24 without current conducting coupler. How do I install current conducting coupler to BR 24 or install pickup shoe to the car set?
Offline QQQ1970  
#22 Posted : 19 March 2018 03:18:51(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Can current conducting coupler coupled with close coupler on the other hand?
Offline sudibarba  
#23 Posted : 19 March 2018 03:32:09(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
My F7 Amtrax passenger trains have the current conducting draw bars between the coaches with a pick up on one of the coaches as best as I can remember
without looking. Not as easy to uncouple and of course do not resemble couplers but are very reliable for conducting current.

Eric
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 19 March 2018 08:28:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
Some single-pole conducting couplers can be coupled with normal Märklin close couplers.

Do not couple them with tin-plate cars, that could lead to a short circuit and in the worst case destroy decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline klarinettmeister  
#25 Posted : 19 March 2018 08:32:32(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

And so does my California Zephyr - The F7 passenger sets are some of the most beautiful items that Marklin has ever made IMO. I think that they are overlooked because they are an odd fit with all of the European trains. Oh well - they are too good to pass up for me.

Some older sets are powered from the observation cars and the newer ones such as the Super Chief, like Gordon has, are powered from the locomotive. That is a beautiful train and I really want one on my layout.

Cheers,

Jim

Then it's modified. My CZ has a pick-up shoe and a decoder with a 2nd adress for lights in the last car. No electrical connection between the loco and the cars.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#26 Posted : 19 March 2018 08:35:14(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post
My F7 Amtrax passenger trains have the current conducting draw bars between the coaches with a pick up on one of the coaches as best as I can remember
without looking. Not as easy to uncouple and of course do not resemble couplers but are very reliable for conducting current.

Eric

The 6 cars are divided in 2 groups with 3 cars each. One pick-up shoe in one of the cars of the groups. Clever. You can divide the train in 2 parts.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline dickinsonj  
#27 Posted : 19 March 2018 12:44:34(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

And so does my California Zephyr
Jim

Then it's modified. My CZ has a pick-up shoe and a decoder with a 2nd adress for lights in the last car. No electrical connection between the loco and the cars.

You are correct David.

This thread was pretty old so I reviewed my earlier post to see what I had said two years ago. I'm not sure what I intended to say but my coaches are not powered by the loco but by the decoder located in the observation car. That decoder has a seperate address and controls the interior lighting in all of the coaches as well as the various marker lights on that car. I also learned that if you want all of the functions to show up on one entry on a CS2 the second decoder needs to remain at the next consecutive address. I believe that Tom (HO) was the source of that useful bit of information. Cool

Now I have set the record straight - and it only took me two years. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline QQQ1970  
#28 Posted : 20 March 2018 00:39:56(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Some single-pole conducting couplers can be coupled with normal Märklin close couplers.

Do not couple them with tin-plate cars, that could lead to a short circuit and in the worst case destroy decoders.

It takes a lot of efforts to hook current conducting coupler with standard close coupler, and then it comes loose when moving, or worse the car jumps track on curves. Am I missing something?
Offline Tex  
#29 Posted : 20 March 2018 01:58:25(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

It takes a lot of efforts to hook current conducting coupler with standard close coupler, and then it comes loose when moving, or worse the car jumps track on curves. Am I missing something?

My 43204 passenger car set has M 72020 current conducting couplers that can be interchanged with non-conducting M 7203 couplers. This combination has shown no problems to date. Tex