Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joe Meiring  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2018 08:54:28(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
In conversation with a modeler here in South Africa recently, discussing various HO brands, he came up with the following comment:
"Marklin is the Rolls Royce of model trains and Lilliput is the Bentley, if I can put it like that!"
....I like that...BigGrin
Joe....still from a waterless Cape Town!
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Joe Meiring
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2018 10:16:05(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Joe,

But BENTLEY never sold cars where the engine was in the trailer. ;-)

Regards

Markus
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Joe Meiring  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2018 10:44:39(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joe,

Regards

Markus

😆😆🚂
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 09 February 2018 12:00:28(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Liliput would probably be more like the Wartburg...

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Michael4  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2018 12:06:26(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I would have thought that the eye watering depreciation on some Rolls Royces makes Marklin seem like a sound investment! See below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...c3dec:g:3mEAAOSwgsxaaouR
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline MalinAC  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2018 12:27:45(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
They have some nice cars at good prices. A nice Audi TT quattro 1.8 for £2950. It is a 2001 model. Still if I still drove I might be tempted.BigGrin BigGrin Eddie
Offline Rinus  
#7 Posted : 09 February 2018 13:03:11(UTC)
Rinus

I'd say ESU is the Rolls, Brawa the Bentley, Märklin the Mercedes, Roco the Audi, Fleischmann the BMW and Piko the VW. BigGrin BigGrin
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Rinus
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2018 23:29:23(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Liliput would probably be more like the Wartburg...

I guess you never have seen, tasted, smelled and driven a Wartburg in real life. Otherwise you never woud have made such a comment.
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2018 20:13:48(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
I guess you never have seen, tasted, smelled and driven a Wartburg in real life. Otherwise you never woud have made such a comment.

Lol. You guess wrong! :-) (Although I didnt actually DRIVE one...)
-And it lives completely up to the experience I´ve had with Liliput train models...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 06 March 2018 20:30:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Did Rolls Royce do that?

Märklin sold steam locos with motor in the tender - even for H0 gauge (but not in H0 scale). Nothing wrong about that.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#11 Posted : 06 March 2018 22:19:49(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: Rinus Go to Quoted Post
I'd say ESU is the Rolls, Brawa the Bentley, Märklin the Mercedes, Roco the Audi, Fleischmann the BMW and Piko the VW. BigGrin BigGrin

Well, I have my own thoughts about what "German 3M" quality products are - Mercedes, Miele and Märklin... BigGrin

Just missing the Mercedes here at home... LOL LOL LOL
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline skeeterbuck  
#12 Posted : 07 March 2018 03:27:42(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
What I want to know is which one is the Trabant. Wink

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline kimballthurlow  
#13 Posted : 07 March 2018 06:52:16(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
My grandfather was a motor mechanic trained at Rolls Royce, Coventry England in the period 1900-1910.
He subsequently moved to Australia, where he continued work on cars from Buick (USA) to Triumph (UK) until 1943.

He told my father many times, that Mercedes Benz were the best cars in the world.
He would know.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 07 March 2018 07:57:01(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
He told my father many times, that Mercedes Benz were the best cars in the world.
He would know.
That was 70+ years ago. Mercedes Benz are still in business, but the quality may have changed (the quality of MB and the quality of the competitors).

Brands like Grundig and Dual have no relation to the former company, nowadays they are just labels on China products.

Märklin is still in business, but they sold Fleischmann locos and Brawa locos in boxes with the Märklin logo, they sold Fleischmann coaches and Tillig coaches in boxes with the Märklin logo, they sold Tillig freight cars.
All MRR brands offer varying quality.

Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
What I want to know is which one is the Trabant.
Too often Märklin sell Trabant quality with a Mercedes price tag.
Liliput is not always "Bentley" and Märklin is not always "Trabant", but you have to be careful with all brands to avoid the lemons.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 07 March 2018 16:03:07(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
What I want to know is which one is the Trabant. Wink

UserPostedImage

Yes this looks like a Trabant. But the car was always a stinkhorn or stinker, because it had a 2-cycle engine. Its nickname was "Plastic" because it was made in plastic. Even at Märklin they know meanwhile the differences between plastic and metal.

The communists used plastic because they did not have enough steel for its car production. Although after the bankrupt of the DDR they built the car for a very short time with an 4-cycle engine from VW. But nobody bought the car. This car had a disastrous crash and safety behaviour. Not so important during the communists time. There was no much car traffic there. But nowadays it even would not get an operational license. Too low security standards. So to compare it with a MRR today, for me it is an insult for a model railway.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline 1borna  
#16 Posted : 08 March 2018 20:33:04(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Believe it or not in Zagreb there are several more "surviving" Trabants that owners use in everyday traffic!
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
And I had a caravan for some 45 years that I used to transport the Go-card on the race. If it is powered by adequate strength and safety it is a completely acceptable means of transport that does not rust
/ sorry for the off topic /
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Markus Schild  
#17 Posted : 09 March 2018 10:22:07(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

When the TRABANT was developed, the use of plastic for the bodywork was really high technology and was also seen as the future by western manufacturers. Think of the CHEVROLET CORVETTE which also comes from the 1950s and had a plastic-body.
Without doubt the TRABANT was outdated from the 1970s. But up to that time it was on an equal level with other European small cars like the 2CV, the BEETLE or the small FIATs. It ran 120 km/h at good weather and had space for four adults.
Also the two-stroke engine was a solution which was also used in western Europe. The grandfather of the AUDI A6, the DKW F102 came new with a 2-stroke engine in the mid-1960s. Also SAAB used those motors. The "environment" was not invented yet.
It was a reliable, simple car. I owned some from 1990, when also nearly new cars were sold for a few hundred Marks. It was one of the very few cars with enough head-space for a 1.97 m man like me. No, it was not fast. I needed seven hours for a drive from Berlin to my home-village. Today, on new built motorways and with 163hp I need six hours.

Comparing it to model-trains I would equal it to GDR - made - TT - trains. A little bit small, but cheap and well - engineered.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline MalinAC  
#18 Posted : 09 March 2018 11:04:01(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Markus have you ever seen a Corvette with a fibreglass body after a front end collision or indeed any collision. Not a pretty sight .Confused Confused
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline Markus Schild  
#19 Posted : 09 March 2018 11:48:03(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Markus have you ever seen a Corvette with a fibreglass body after a front end collision or indeed any collision. Not a pretty sight .Confused Confused

Hi Malin,

I don't remember to have seen one. But I have seen folded TRABANTs. The TRABANT never was known for it's safety. But it was not unsafer than the other small cars of that era. Also in a VW Beetle people died at 30 km/h crashes. The accidents looked spectacular but also at modern cars the outer bodywork is less important for the crash-safety. The structure of the TRABANT is made of steel. That can rust and it did. The first thing owners of a new TRABANT did, was the anti-rust protection which was not done in the factory. My parents often sent materials like TEROSON-wax-spray to our relatives, which lived in the GDR.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 09 March 2018 12:10:42(UTC)
H0

I remember an interesting article about car safety from 2016:
http://www.globalncap.or...following-ncap-campaign/
And here with video:
https://www.npr.org/sect...n-cars-in-mexico-and-u-s

Anything that can be sold legally and with profit will be sold.

And to get back to MRR: We had a few cases of problems caused by inferior materials.

A penny saved is a penny earned.
My rolling stock from the '70s didn't have any problems with hardened oil after 30 years in the box.
Rolling stock from the '90s, new from the dealer, can be locked out of the box. Did they find a cheaper oil supplier?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline skeeterbuck  
#21 Posted : 09 March 2018 16:08:10(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   

I seen my fair share of all types of automotive accidents and I would say that Corvettes are safer than similar type cars from the same production years. The difference being that fiberglass cracks where as sheet metal crumples. They have to meet the safety standards or they wouldn't be allowed on the road.

Let's forget the Trabant and get back to model quality! Flapper

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline shannon  
#22 Posted : 09 March 2018 21:12:41(UTC)
shannon

Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
In conversation with a modeler here in South Africa recently, discussing various HO brands, he came up with the following comment:
"Marklin is the Rolls Royce of model trains and Lilliput is the Bentley, if I can put it like that!"
....I like that...BigGrin
Joe....still from a waterless Cape Town!

Marklin is described as the Rolls Royce, it means everyone can afford a couple of Rolls Royce. RR will be as much as Toyota and VW.LOL

If Marklin is equal to RR, i wonder what the Micro Metakit and KM1 are equal to ? LOL

I would consider Marklin as Volvo with the tough and strong body shell made of metal and a bit expensive pricing than other brands like piko, rivarossi equivalent to Renault or Fiat.
Offline Webmaster  
#23 Posted : 09 March 2018 21:46:21(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: shannon Go to Quoted Post
If Marklin is equal to RR, i wonder what the Micro Metakit and KM1 are equal to ?

Königsegg BigGrin

Exquisite and made in small numbers, and many don't know about the brand... Smile

Too expensive and totally unusable for us "common" product users... LOL LOL LOL
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline TEEWolf  
#24 Posted : 10 March 2018 00:10:37(UTC)
TEEWolf

Exactly and in a Trabi driver was dead.
Offline TEEWolf  
#25 Posted : 10 March 2018 00:16:14(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: shannon Go to Quoted Post
If Marklin is equal to RR, i wonder what the Micro Metakit and KM1 are equal to ?

Königsegg BigGrin

Exquisite and made in small numbers, and many don't know about the brand... Smile

Too expensive and totally unusable for us "common" product users... LOL LOL LOL

Well, did not have seen a locomotive from Koenigsegg yet. Or did one of the admins change this forum to a car user's ones?Confused Blink
Offline Jay  
#26 Posted : 10 March 2018 22:42:43(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
TEEWolf that was uncalled for and below the belt.Can we not have light banter on the forum. Life is serious enough in reality so we
use model trains,cars,whatever to escape into this dream world . Often we need to grow up but sometimes we need to grow down,
let our hair down,so I humbly ask you to loosen up and ENJOY LIFE God knows its so short.Ask the steam generation!!!
Humbly yours
Jay
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jay
Offline David Dewar  
#27 Posted : 10 March 2018 23:38:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I remember an interesting article about car safety from 2016:
http://www.globalncap.or...following-ncap-campaign/
And here with video:
https://www.npr.org/sect...n-cars-in-mexico-and-u-s

Anything that can be sold legally and with profit will be sold.

And to get back to MRR: We had a few cases of problems caused by inferior materials.

A penny saved is a penny earned.
My rolling stock from the '70s didn't have any problems with hardened oil after 30 years in the box.
Rolling stock from the '90s, new from the dealer, can be locked out of the box. Did they find a cheaper oil supplier?

Regarding the oil I blame global warming BigGrin
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 11 March 2018 03:40:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
and where does the brand Lima and Rivarossi fit into it ? under Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Alfa Romeo or Lancia ? I'm sure it doesen't go a low as the Fiat.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode