Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2018 20:39:59(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all,

In light of an ECOS failure, I've decided to switch over to my carpetbahn MS2 controllers in order to run my small layout. I have a 60 watt trafo, which meets up with a pair of 60653 MSII's at a 60113 connecting box. While this of course "works", it seems like a very underwhelming solution to put all that power and control through two tiny wires to the track!

Is there a better/high rating way to do this? Or a creative solution? I have a small layout but I still need more than one feeder with to power it! I know Marklin want to push you towards a CS3 but this seems even limiting on a carpetbahn that needs more than one feeder....

And while we are at it, does the MSII software need periodic updating? I'd assume so, and is there a way to do it without a CS? (web/computer perhaps?)

Photo here:

controls.jpg

Thoughts?
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline dominator  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2018 20:55:22(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
You say you have a small layout. Why would you need a booster. They say those MS2's will run up to 6 loco's. I have 2 MS2's as well, just so that i dont have to loose a loco every time I turn them off. I have three separate loops so I can run the controllers independently, but I can run the whole layout from one controller. My layout isn't that big, 14'x4'.
I also wondered about the smallness of those wires when I first got an MS2.
I have three times as many analogue locos as digital so I have the best of both worlds. I am not a digital genius though, rather the opposite so someone with more knowledge than me may enhance my comments here.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2018 21:24:47(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
You say you have a small layout. Why would you need a booster. They say those MS2's will run up to 6 loco's. I have 2 MS2's as well, just so that i dont have to loose a loco every time I turn them off. I have three separate loops so I can run the controllers independently, but I can run the whole layout from one controller. My layout isn't that big, 14'x4'.
I also wondered about the smallness of those wires when I first got an MS2.
I have three times as many analogue locos as digital so I have the best of both worlds. I am not a digital genius though, rather the opposite so someone with more knowledge than me may enhance my comments here.

Dereck

I don't need a booster, amperage should be fine. But I feel do need more than 1 ~20 gauge feeder for 4x7 feet with 3 trains running and another few parked, most of which are lit with functions. Those two wires might work, but I seriously doubt reliability.

Plan B is make a junction box for feeders, but the whole system still just seems flimsy to me?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2018 21:34:14(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
My former Humbug-Dummtor layout - which had a similar track arrangement (and track length) - was powered via a 60VA transformer and two MS2s. I used these flimsy feeder cables connected to feeder points every two or three meters of track. At that time I had five large digital locos, a couple of solenoids and a limited number of light signals. That worked flawlessly, but note that my coaches had no interior lighting.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2018 21:42:49(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
My former Humbug-Dummtor layout - which had a similar track arrangement (and track length) - was powered via a 60VA transformer and two MS2s. I used these flimsy feeder cables connected to feeder points every two or three meters of track. At that time I had five large digital locos, a couple of solenoids and a limited number of light signals. That worked flawlessly, but note that my coaches had no interior lighting.

Thanks! How did you connect all those feeders into the 60113?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2018 22:50:17(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
An update, my patience got the better of me and I took apart the 60113. I then de-soldered the the original feeder cables, and I replaced them with the fattest pair of wires I could smash/solder in there (I think they are 16 awg). I now feel a bit better about the box and resistance, and have put those two feeders to a pair of 7209 distribution strips for testing.

We should be in (temporary) business. - updates will follow in the layout thread:

https://www.marklin-user...t-Project-In--4-x-7-Feet
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Alsterstreek  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2018 23:30:58(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Thanks! How did you connect all those feeders into the 60113?
The lazy way: Not into the box, but to the ends of the cables emanating from the box.

(I understand that meanwhile you did it the hard way by opening the box.)

:o)