Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nightowl4933  
#1 Posted : 31 December 2009 01:50:22(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Can anyone tell me - in simple, slow words - how to set up blocks in a track, please? I understnad the principle of a train not entering a block until the subsequent block is vacant, but how should I wire up the (8589) switches, signals and relays?

I would also like to use distance signals (as I intend to use longer runs) to allow a train to stop, slow down (proceed slowly) if a train is in the next block, or normal speed if there isn't. This would be along the straights (perhaps 660mm lengths) where no other 'stuff' is, e.g. slips or turnouts.

Anyway, if you could solve that for me to start with, I'd be eternally grateful biggrinbiggrin - but it ain't digital!

Regards,

Pete
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2009 02:23:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Pete, there is an article on the forum, written by Lars Westerland (a long time forum member), regarding block operation. Rather than me trying to give a befuddled answer, you might like to read it.

On the left hand forum menu, click on 'Operation Related', then 'Block Operation'

The current Marklin Signal book also has some good information on block operation.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2009 18:03:28(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Thanks Dave,

I was wondering where I'd read that before! It's reasonably clear about blocks, but the book of signal work relates to HO and digital - not Z gauge unfortunately.

I need a Z expert until I become one - an expert, I mean :-)

Regards,

Pete
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Offline Breitenfurt  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2009 19:14:26(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.

I will see if I can find anything for you.

My own layout has a primitive block system that works OK and which could be easily adapted to fully automate a simpler layout. On my layout it is quite complex because of the multiple routes into and out of the station. You can find my circuits on my website.

One question. What type of signals will you be using? Colour light or semaphore? The principles are teh same but the circuitry could vary.

All the best,
Chris.

PS. I am still turning my room upside down. It's a lt tidier than it was!!!!
Offline Nightowl4933  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2009 20:53:02(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

I'm primarily using colour light signals (89391) in most areas, but quite like the idea of one or two distance signals (89392) in between the longer runs. I will use a few semaphore signals as I thing they're the biz (but only single semaphore to keep it simple).

What I would really like to do is use the 89392's showing true, i.e. green at normal speed, red stopped and amber moving slowly - without changing the controller. The red and green is fairly easy, but I don't know how to detect trains further away, unless I use the logic thus: If a train is in the next block, stop, if it's in the block after, proceed slowly, if it's after that, go at normal speed. All done with circuit tracks and not button boxes. Sounds simple! I might even email M* and see what they would do, assuming what I'm asking is prototypical.

Make sure the ceiling is really secure if you are turning your room upside down - I'd hate to be blamed for the damage :-)

By the way. Is it snowing up there?

Best regards,

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2009 23:14:46(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.

First the important stuff. No resent snow fall here. In fact we haven't had any since that initial fall before Christmas, but that only started melting yesterday so there is still plenty around. (This is almost unheard of in the last 30 years.) The real snow is on the east coast. Inverness has cancelled its Hogmanay street party and a couple of hundred passengers are stranded at Inverness airport.

Right. Recent Marklin signals are manufactured by Viessmann so it is worth comparing prices, especially from German suppliers. I bought a single arm semaphore from one eBay store with about £10 off (partly counterbalanced by additional postage). Also, if you feel that you can build them, you can get Viessmann signals from http://www1.conrad-uk.com/ at very reasonable prices.

Briefly:
o 89391 (Viessmann 4811, Conrad 212487-89) is the basic block signal used on lines away from stations. (I guess it can be used as a starter signal as well in conjunction with a shunting signal.)
o 89392 (4812, 212488-89) is an entry signal for a station or junction. The grn/yel indication limiting speed to 40km/h.
o 89393 (4813, 212489-89) is a starter signal. It combines the function of the entry signal with a shunting signal.

None of the above signals have a control function so have to be used in conjunction with a locking relay (Marklin 8945 or 8946 - often found on eBay). I use the former but there is a viable alternative (see https://www.marklin-user...t.aspx?g=posts&t=14184).

When it comes to the distant signals, each block signal and station entry signal *should* be protected by a distant signal 89390 (4810, 212486-89). This is difficult on a model railway due to the foreshortening of distances. I will have three on my layout, all just before the train disappears into a tunnel. Only one of them (on the branch) will be linked to an actual home signal. The distant signals have three indications Vr0, Vr1 and Vr2, though the latter can probably be ignored unless you want to be really authentic.

Now, I don't use colour light so I have locking sp-st relays built into each signal base which is very useful for block control. Also, the semaphore arm stays where you tell it to go once the current is off, whereas you have to supply continuous current to the colour light signals (which is where the relay switches come in). As I don't have colour light, I don't have circuit diagrams. However, Viessmann do. If you go to http://www.viessmann-mod...gr_nr=5&sprache_nr=2 you can download circuit diagrams etc. for each type of signal. They are not very clear but nearly all the info you need is there.

Signal protocols are described in Wolfgang Meyenberg's website at http://www.sh1.org/eisenbahn/s.htm . Takes a bit of time to work one's way round it all but it is well worth it.

Finally, One half of my room is now much tidier than it was, the other half will be a nightmare!!! At least I am getting rid of an awful lot of empty boxes.

With best wishes,
Chris.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#7 Posted : 01 January 2010 00:05:40(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Blimey, Chris, I thought this was supposed to be easy!

OK. How difficult are the signals to build? At £4.90 compared to £19.75 it might be worth a look, as long as the quality is as good. I kind of like M* quality!

At the moment (or at least before I started to dismantle it prior to moving in to the box room) I used the M* universal relay (7244) to operate the signals, in conjunction with track switches (8589). I did have to buy a 16v transformer but I've got it now so it will provide plenty of power for the signals (and street lights). Do the V* signals work at the same voltage ratings as M*? I'm not sure how many relays I've got, but if I need more I'll consider your link. It seems he has plenty of them but does he accept PayPal? Did you buy any from him?

Am I correct in thinking, then, on the approach to a station there would be a 89392 (or equivalent) indication a stop, slow or normal approach, and a 89391 on the way out, indicating stop or go? If so, would the 89392 on the immediate approach to the station? If this is the case I might just stick with that option rather than put distance signals everywhere else!

BTW, I seem to recall you are after M* plastic boxes. In the not too distant future I intend to find an alternative storage solution as a lot of my rolling stock and a few loco's came without boxes. Would you be interested in 5 long (with inserts) 14 short (with inserts) and 2 short (without inserts)? It will be a while before I do it, but I'll keep you in mind if you are intersted.

Regards,

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#8 Posted : 01 January 2010 02:24:31(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.

Actually, it is a lot easier than it looks.

I am 99% certain that the Conrad stuff is Viessmann spares. How easy they are to put together I cannot say. I have four semaphores and they look terribly complicated. Colour light should be much easier as there are no moving parts. I'm not quite sure about the 7244. They are listed in the HO section of the catalogue and not the Z section and I don't know why. I will have a look at my signal book tomorrow and see if they are in there.

As far as I can see, the sequence for a station, including adjacent blocks would be:
<font face="Courier New]
89391=======89392=================89383=============89391
....89390---^...............................89390---^
block............ station road(s) starter........(equiv. adv start)
</font id="Courier New]
Note that the 89390s may be co-located with a block signal or after it depending on the length of the block.

I hope that make some sense - it is rather late for me.

Re boxes, yes please. Sort out details later.

And a happy new year. :o)
Chris

Offline Nightowl4933  
#9 Posted : 01 January 2010 11:14:09(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

I suppose it's lke a tree. Easy to say it's a tree - but try explaining how it works!

I think I'll order one from Conrad to see how good/easy it is, because as you say - there isn't much to a colour light signal. I just hope I don't have to source other parts elsewhere, such as LED's, but they should come complete. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm not sure why the 7244 is only listed in the HO section, but M* themselves told me about using them for the new (current) light signals. It seems they should really be listed under 'All Scales', but there you go! The operating voltage is higher, which is why I bought the 16v transformer, but it looks like V* signals work between 14v and 16v too. They even do their own relays (5551).

Erm, I think it might be a bit early for me - I'm not quite sure what you're trying to show in your diagram, sorry. My interpretation is:

89391 - used as stop/go (red/green) signals at the end of each block (however many there are) - and would need a single relay
89392 - used as entry signals into a station area with stop/go/go slowly (red/green/amber) - would need 2 relays
89393 - used as an exit signal from a station area with the same as the 89392 but with the added 'Train Halt, Switching Allowed' (whatever that means - and I'll probably not bother with that bit at this stage!)
89390 - used as a warning of the next signal status, so if it preceeds the 89392 it would show the following:
Vr0 =&gt; Hp0
Vr1 =&gt; Hp1
Vr2 =&gt; Hp2
...and similarly if the 89390 preceeds the 89391 it should only show Vr0 and Vr1?

So, in a nutshell, for every station area I'd need a distant signal, an entry signal and an exit signal, with block signals at every block in between - and these blocks should be at least one and a half times longer than the longest train - with a distance signal if the block is long enough to need one.

Sooper Smile

Over the statutory/obligatory/traditional Scottish Hogmanay hangover yet? biggrinbiggrin

Happy New Year to you too!

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#10 Posted : 01 January 2010 22:53:20(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Nightowl4933 I suppose it's lke a tree. Easy to say it's a tree - but try explaining how it works!
Exactly. But, as I said, once you understand part of it the rest comes quite easily.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I think I'll order one from Conrad to see how good/easy it is, because as you say - there isn't much to a colour light signal. I just hope I don't have to source other parts elsewhere, such as LED's, but they should come complete. I'll let you know how I get on.
Well, they are cheap enough to risk one. I assume that the LEDs are included. They are in the Semaphore kits.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I'm not sure why the 7244 is only listed in the HO section, but M* themselves told me about using them for the new (current) light signals. It seems they should really be listed under 'All Scales', but there you go! The operating voltage is higher, which is why I bought the 16v transformer, but it looks like V* signals work between 14v and 16v too. They even do their own relays (5551).
Actually, I have had them working at far lower voltages but eventually went to the higher voltage because I was working with several devices switching at once.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Erm, I think it might be a bit early for me - I'm not quite sure what you're trying to show in your diagram, sorry.
I should have done a drawing.

The top line was supposed to show the stop/slow signals and the track, line 2 the rough positions of the distant signals and line 3 was a description. I was going to put it all in one line but it was too long.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:My interpretation is:
(Editing your text slightly. Hp0 = stop, 1= go, 2=40kph.)

Hp0/Hp1 (89391) - used as stop/go (red/green) signals at the end of each block (however many there are) and would need a single relay - requires Vr0/Vr1 (from 89380).

89392 - used as entry signals into a station area (or junction) with Hp0/Hp1/Hp2 (stop, go, go slowly - red, green, green/amber) - would need 2 relays and is preceded by Vr0/Vr1/Vr2 (expect clear/stop,slow).

Hp0/Hp1/Hp2 as above + Hp00/Sh1 (89393) - used as an exit signal from a station area with the same as the 89392 but with the added Hp00 (train/loco halt, shunting not permitted) and Sh1 (train halt, shunting permitted). There is no semaphore equivqlint so I use separate shunting signals which are all just left at Sh0 permanently.

Shunting signal would be used to allow a loco to move forward, leaving its train behind, in order to run round the train of go to shed. It does not function in the same way as Hp0 as authority has to be given to proceed, juts as a train cannot leave the station until the all clear is given by, e.g., the guard.

89390 - used as a warning of the next signal status, so if it precedes the 89392 it would show the following:
Vr0 =&gt; Hp0
Vr1 =&gt; Hp1
Vr2 =&gt; Hp2
and similarly if the 89390 precedes the 89391 it should only show Vr0/Vr1.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:So, in a nutshell, for every station area I'd need a distant signal, an entry signal and an exit signal, with block signals at every block in between - and these blocks should be at least one and a half times longer than the longest train - with a distance signal if the block is long enough to need one.
That about sums it up.

BTW, you can download the signal book in English from http://www.lctm.info/Biblioteca/Libros/index.htm . I know it applies to HO but the basic principles are the same as HO analogue except
that the centre 'rail' becomes one of the running rails in Z.

Hope that helps. It's difficult to express in words.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Over the statutory/obligatory/traditional Scottish Hogmanay hangover yet?

Doesn't apply. I do not drink, but I did stay up till 0100 typing messages here. :o)

All the best,
Chris.

PS. Have a look at my latest trackplan. I will give you an idea of how it is all laid out but be aware that there are no approach distant signals.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2010 00:17:12(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Strewth! I seem to be getting somewhere!

Aside from the block signals then (I've got them sorted, I think) the sequence of signals before a station or junction would be a distance signal and an entry signal, and does the entry signal (in the model world) determine the display on the distance signal? It seems to make sense to work this way.

All I have to work out, then, is where the switches go! Simple :-)

Thanks, Chris, I'll have a read of the books.

BTW, I didn't get to drink anything over the new year either - I was on call. My only tipple is a bottle or two of Becks, but I did all the drinking I needed to do when I was young - I don't need to do it anymore :-)

Regards,

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#12 Posted : 02 January 2010 13:01:32(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.

There was a small omission in my explanation. EVERY stop/slow signal needs a distant signal so the starter signal would have a distant some point after the tracks have split in the station. I will have to look into this myself. I will update my track plan sometime later.

Yes, the 'home' and distant signals must be tied together electrically. They cannot be independent. Of course, with semaphore, in reality the home would be cleared before the distant (two separate levers in the signal box) and distant would be set before the home. That does not happen with colour light or, I suggest, on model railways.

All the best,
Chris.

PS. My not drinking is a faith related ordinance, but I never really drank much anyway. I was given a cup of cider by some carers when I was 8 and it was so disgusting that I didn't drink again until I was in my 20's. Never really enjoyed it tho'.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#13 Posted : 02 January 2010 13:33:28(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
...and just as I was beginning to get the hang of it...

Erm, what's a starter signal, Chris? Is the signal at the beginning of a sequence?

I've had a look at your layout, by the way: it's very impressive. I might even 'blag' some ideas for the curved approach to the main station!

I've got some parts (including a working solenoid) of a M* 89401 signal. Do you want me to send the bits to you? Electrically it's sound, but although they're beautiful(?) to watch in operation, I'll only be using my working ones. I can't be bothered to repair them, and from your blog G* aren't interested in spares!

I don't want anything for it, by the way.

Regards,

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#14 Posted : 02 January 2010 14:29:22(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Sorry Pete. I used 'starter' in the UK sense of the word, i.e. the German's exit signal.

The fundamental difference between UK and German (DB) practice is that the UK uses route signalling whereas the Germans use speed signalling. It certainly makes for simpler signalling of German layouts. I mean, can you imagine the station entry semaphore collection at the entry to the right hand side of my layout - all four arms on one mast.

Your offer of an 89401 base is very kind and I wish to take you up on it. In fact G* were not interested in repairing them. I don't know if they would have got spares tho'. I'll contact you with address by email later today.

With best wishes,
Chris.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#15 Posted : 02 January 2010 14:38:56(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
OK, Chris, I'll dig it out. I thought I had your address from before, but I think I deleted the email.

I'm in the process of dismantling evetrything in th egarage prior to the move into the bedroom so it might be a day or two, but I'll send what I've got.

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#16 Posted : 02 January 2010 19:46:56(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Here is an image, from the Marklin Signal Book. Hope it helps.
http://trains.manvell.or...ch/StationSignalling.jpg
Sorry it's just the link but it is large and probably better viewed separately.
Chris
Offline Nightowl4933  
#17 Posted : 02 January 2010 23:32:37(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Ah, that's very helpful, thank you.

I've ordered two of each of the 3 V* signal kits from C* - including the paint for the posts. They should be here in a week or so. I'll let you know how I get on with them. I'll know then how many relays I'll need!

Also, there are mostly 2 signals you can have - both electrically sound although in several bits you may have more patience with than I. I'l post them on Monday using RMRD just in case they get lost - in which case RM can replace them!

Regards,

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#18 Posted : 03 January 2010 00:18:00(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Thanks Pete. Loo forward to getting them. Have to admit that my success in getting compensation from RM is 0/3. Always it is "Prove that that was what you posted." I've lost well over £100 as a result.

BTW, what part of the country are you posting from?

Chris.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#19 Posted : 03 January 2010 02:52:33(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
No worries. I live in Wiltshire - which of course you knew, having sent me a controller fairly recently!
Offline Breitenfurt  
#20 Posted : 03 January 2010 12:31:31(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Pete, I have a memory with more holes in it than a ... what are those things with lots of holes? Oh, yes, colanders ... when it comes to remembering names and places. Yes, I can remember it now - I think. Hope it's working OK, well, better that its ex-owner's brain!

Chris.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#21 Posted : 03 January 2010 14:08:46(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
TO be honest, I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it will be fine. I'm dismantling everything in the garage at the moment prior to moving it in to the house. There's less room, but it's soooo much warmer and much less dusty!

Pete
Offline parakiet  
#22 Posted : 16 November 2017 11:17:19(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Pete, there is an article on the forum, written by Lars Westerland (a long time forum member), regarding block operation. Rather than me trying to give a befuddled answer, you might like to read it.

On the left hand forum menu, click on 'Operation Related', then 'Block Operation'

The current Marklin Signal book also has some good information on block operation.

Can anyone link to this article?