Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mike M  
#1 Posted : 26 August 2017 01:13:25(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Hi, I just purchased a ESU tank car set with DC wheels. Dealer told me ESU does not have a free exchange policy regarding AC wheels. Dealer says if I am using Marklin C track (which I am) then most of the time there is no problem.If there is then I can purchase the AC wheels.

Has anyone had the experience of using DC wheel sets on Marklin C-track? Whats the worst that can happen ? Confused

Ps. I have circuit & contact tracks on my layout.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mike M
Offline Brakeman  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2017 02:13:10(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Hi,
We run 2-rail cars on 3-rail track all the time. Traditionally NEM wheels have 0,3 mm wider track and smaller flanges than Marklin wheels, but that's not a problem on C track.
The worst thing to happen is, that your contact track won't close the circuit when a 2-rail car is passing it. Depending on your setup it may affect to occupation detection, signals or routing.

ESU makes the 3-rail wheels, but they are not offered free for change.
Not sure if these fit your tankers.
http://www.esu.eu/produkte/zubehoer/scheibenradsatz-ac/

Regards,
Juha
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Brakeman
Offline Mike M  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2017 03:16:09(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Thanks for the quick response .Yes it is the #41201 wheels that will be compatible.Just trying to figure out if I really need these? Sounds like if they don't trigger my contact rails then I should order them.

Cheers Mike
Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2017 03:54:58(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Mike M Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the quick response .Yes it is the #41201 wheels that will be compatible.Just trying to figure out if I really need these? Sounds like if they don't trigger my contact rails then I should order them.

Not really; just put one or two Marklin wagons at the the end of the train and you should be all right.

I exchange Marklin wheels for DC wheels and they are not always free. When I have to buy them, I end up spending over $4.00 plus HST for each axle. Scared

However, I MUCH prefer to have DC wheels so my wagons can run nicely on both my 2 rail and Marklin layouts. BUT, I do not have a sophisticated track system with contact rails to worry about. If I did, I would do what I stated above.

Just my 2 cents' worth.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2017 07:17:49(UTC)
H0

Has anyone had the experience of using DC wheel sets on Marklin C-track? Whats the worst that can happen ? Confused
I wrote it several times before: My Experience: No problem with Trix, Roco or Fleischmann, but derailments with Piko and Liliput and others.
I always swap wheelsets with Piko and Liliput and consider doing so with Tillig.
No derailments with ESU so far, but the DC wheelsets are "noisy" on C track turnouts due to the small flanges.

DC wheelsets do not trigger contact tracks.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2017 10:53:48(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I am very impressed by the C tracks and switches. Until now, I never experienced any derailment using both newer and older stock from Märklin and other brands. However, when I purchased a 4070 car from eBay.de to expand my 3070 TEE set (not my picture), it came with DC wheels of unknown type. The train set started to derail on several switches. Changed to Märklin AC wheels, and now everything runs smooth!

Cool

BD0E6E3D-D49F-4F48-BD8B-B8F60D9A168B-3817-000003E3851E8DD8.jpeg
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 28 August 2017 21:58:55(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Another option is to connect the two DC wheels by jumping the insulated section with some conductive paint.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Widnug  
#8 Posted : 29 August 2017 11:15:42(UTC)
Widnug

Indonesia   
Hi, I just purchased a ESU tank car set with DC wheels. Dealer told me ESU does not have a free exchange policy regarding AC wheels. Dealer says if I am using Marklin C track (which I am) then most of the time there is no problem.If there is then I can purchase the AC wheels.

Ps. I have circuit & contact tracks on my layout.

It's should be OK.....I run many piko 2-rail wagon on C-track.

One Of Indonesian MARKLINIST
M&C-Track/MS1-Analog Controller/Diesel Engine Lovers, Multi Era-Multi Country
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 29 August 2017 11:20:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Widnug Go to Quoted Post
It's should be OK.....I run many piko 2-rail wagon on C-track.
I run many Piko cars - and those with DC wheelsets derail sometimes on C track turnouts, so with most cars I swapped the wheelsets.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 29 August 2017 11:59:00(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I agree with Tom,

I swap DC wheels to AC wheels on Piko and Liliput wagons. I don't find I need to on other brands, except that a Brawa wagon I own makes some noise on turnouts so I might swap axles on that one.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
H0
Online GlennM  
#11 Posted : 29 August 2017 12:13:39(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
On C track I have so far had little trouble running other brands rolling stock with DC wheel sets as part of a consist, but have encountered a number of issues on K track, but mostly on switches and turn-outs. I have become a huge fan of C track as a result.

I personally have had more problems with inter-brand coupling issues and differing buffer height issues (mentioned regularly on various threads on this Forum) than with wheel sets.

IHMO that is in some cases non Marklin stock is lighter and running characteristics can be improved by adding some additional weight to the item.
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM
H0LoeM
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 29 August 2017 13:05:09(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post
IHMO that is in some cases non Marklin stock is lighter and running characteristics can be improved by adding some additional weight to the item.
Maybe the extra weight is just a workaround for the wheel spacing problem.
AC wheels work fine for me without extra weight.

I usually have problems with pushed trains. Derailments often occur on the 24649 crossing with pulled and pushed trains.
Depending on your track plan and your modus operandi there may be more or less problems.
Having the locomotive push the train into a siding is a good test.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Turbo T Terry  
#13 Posted : 26 September 2017 15:50:16(UTC)
Turbo T Terry

Mike,
Your dealer is right that most of the time there is no problem. Sometimes, however, the trains derail because of the difference in gauge. You can lessen the number of derailments by weighting the cars, but the sure way to resolve the issue is to swap wheelsets or regauge the existing wheelsets.
A few years ago, I made a wheel gauge, then spent several evenings regauging or changing wheelsets on my DC cars. It was the most worthwhile train project I can remember. Now the trains stay on the track unless I get forgetful and back through a closed switch.
Another useful project is adjusting couplers, but that's another topic.
Terry
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Turbo T Terry
Offline hxmiesa  
#14 Posted : 29 September 2017 13:36:41(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Im not a C-track user, but use a mix of K and M tracks.
I can´t run ANY DC vehicle directly out of the box.
On some, I have changed to correct AC-sheels, but lately I just manually re-gauge the wheels with a set of pliers. I dont even have a decent tool for it, but squeezing the inner space to 13,9mm (as per Doctor Eisenbahn), all my problems seems to disappear.
My system relies heavily on contact-tracks (where the unisolated wheel-set bridge the two rails for a feedback-signal), so I convert DC-wheels to conductive wheels by inserting a small piece of a single cord from a wire, into the plastic bushing that isolates the two flanges.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline midwestbls  
#15 Posted : 04 December 2017 16:17:59(UTC)
midwestbls

United States   
I've not had any issues running Roco models with DC wheels on my C-track including over-through sets of turnouts including the double-slip - both 303mm "true 1:87" passenger cars as well as short 2-axle freight cars with DC wheels.

Interesting comments on the Liliput models. I have several Liliput DC-wheeled car sets that I have never run since converting over to AC - going to have to check that out, but I have a dummy locomotive (SBB Ae 4/7) from Liliput that has trouble when running with the single leading axle in front - it derails; when run with the 2-axle bogey leading and the single-axle trailing, no problems. I typically run this behind a Crocodile for an interesting double-heading consist (prototypical? don't care as it looks great!) without having to worry about syncing two different drives! I also have a dummy Roco BLS RE 465 with DC wheels and have no problems with this in "tandem" service paired with a Marklin RE 460.

As others have already said, DC wheelsets will not close the circuit across the two rails for occupancy detection, etc. - I've not had to worry about or deal with that yet ...
ETE - Swiss Era III - BLS - Brig Station
Offline danmarklinman  
#16 Posted : 04 December 2017 18:04:25(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Im not a C-track user, but use a mix of K and M tracks.
I can´t run ANY DC vehicle directly out of the box.
On some, I have changed to correct AC-sheels, but lately I just manually re-gauge the wheels with a set of pliers. I dont even have a decent tool for it, but squeezing the inner space to 13,9mm (as per Doctor Eisenbahn), all my problems seems to disappear.
My system relies heavily on contact-tracks (where the unisolated wheel-set bridge the two rails for a feedback-signal), so I convert DC-wheels to conductive wheels by inserting a small piece of a single cord from a wire, into the plastic bushing that isolates the two flanges.

Hi, really interested in your basic Re gauging technique. How do you go about regaugeing with pliers. Does it not bend the axle?
I have just got a really cheap 2 rail dc model, which I want to run on my K track?
Love to see how you do it? Cheers Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#17 Posted : 04 December 2017 20:52:18(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Hello.

What about Brawa wagons with DC wheels on C trucks? Do they work ok, or it is a good idea to turn to AC wheels???

Regards

Paris
Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;
Offline strummer  
#18 Posted : 05 December 2017 18:06:16(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Perhaps I shouldn't say anything here, as I don't run Marklin HO (anymore) but...

AC vs. DC: this should only be a question of electrical conductivity; any issues with derailments are a question of gauge, as stated in some previous posts.

Any wheel, whether insulated or not, while cause problems if out of gauge, either too narrow or too wide. "Gauge" is a basic building block of railroads, and must be adhered to...I think.

I have swapped out wheel sets on some HO 2 rail cars, but only because I'm running "American" Code 83 track, and the flanges on certain cars of certain brands tend to strike the "spike heads"; while others (like Roco) don't. Lima and some Piko cars get new wheels with smaller flanges. And ALL cars are checked to make sure they are in "gauge". Thus only time I have a derailment is from operator error... which is often enough! Smile

Mark in Oregon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by strummer
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 05 December 2017 18:42:17(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: strummer Go to Quoted Post
AC vs. DC: this should only be a question of electrical conductivity; any issues with derailments are a question of gauge, as stated in some previous posts.
Right.
But in this context I see "AC" as a reference to NEM 340 and "DC" as a reference to NEM 310.
Some "DC" wheel sets are universal and work on Märklin C Track, some others don't.
Gauge is the same (assuming H0), but wheel spacing is different.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Minok  
#20 Posted : 05 December 2017 20:09:47(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Yeah, its unfortunate that H0 is not the same as H0.

NEM 310 H0:

NEM-310-H0.PNG

NEM 340 H0 (Systemen MÄRKLIN):

NEM-340-H0.PNG
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline DaleSchultz  
#21 Posted : 05 December 2017 22:03:21(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

NEM 310 H0:

Very interesting, I was not aware that Märklin had their own NEM for HO! But this does explain why watching Märklin related train fora for decades, has taught me that almost every long thread about derailments on Märklin track eventually resolved to people using non-Märklin wheels or couplers!

I run only Märklin stock on Märklin K-track and do not have ongoing derailment and coupler failures.

Visitors have run stock from other manufacturers on my layout, mostly successfully too.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 05 December 2017 22:50:47(UTC)
H0

NEM 340 documents what the world-market leader is producing.
NEM 310 defines what the other manufacturers should do to reach compatibility.

Derailments on Märklin track are usually caused by incorrect wheel sets - or by Märklin short couplers colliding with non-Märklin scale models.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline strummer  
#23 Posted : 05 December 2017 23:24:23(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

NEM 310 H0:

Very interesting, I was not aware that Märklin had their own NEM for HO! But this does explain why watching Märklin related train fora for decades, has taught me that almost every long thread about derailments on Märklin track eventually resolved to people using non-Märklin wheels or couplers!

I run only Märklin stock on Märklin K-track and do not have ongoing derailment and coupler failures.

Visitors have run stock from other manufacturers on my layout, mostly successfully too.

I did not know that either.

I also dabble a bit in Z scale, and at least there, Marklin stuff is the same, "wheel-wise", as the other brands. In fact, I just recently replaced a bunch of wheel sets on some Marklin cars with "Fox Valley" wheel sets. There was some speculation as to whether they would work on the Marklin cars, as they were designed for the Micro Trains line; they not only fit, but were a vast improvement.

Mark in Oregon

Offline Minok  
#24 Posted : 05 December 2017 23:46:44(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
NEM 340 documents what the world-market leader is producing.
NEM 310 defines what the other manufacturers should do to reach compatibility.

From what the NEM documents say, I read them as
NEM310 - the wheel set standard that considers the NRMA standards, for use on NEM 110 track.
NEM340 - deviations from NEM 110/310 for wheels and track for Märklin systems in consideration of central conductor pickup.

So I'd say the 310 is the standard companies should target for inter-operation, and 340 is the deviation from that standard that the Märklin systems are using and what manufacturers should use to work on Märklin systems.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#25 Posted : 06 December 2017 01:19:59(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I run roughly 90% Maerklin, with some Fleischmann and Trix items in the mix with only coupler swaps and have never had issues with derailing... yet! I use primarily M track as there's a lot of it out there and everything seems to run on it, both old and new. But then again, I don't use a whole of turnouts, which seems to cause most of the derailing issues I've been reading about.

As a side note, when I first returned to the hobby, I was frustrated between not only having to choose AC or DC operation, but also by the seeming near incompatibility of coupling systems across the manufacturers. N Scale solved that problem, as everything worked together. Then there was that trip to the Maerklin Museum and... well, no need to say more BigGrin
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan