Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jaime  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2017 01:42:56(UTC)
Jaime

Chile   
Hello

The last week I put the first Peco track in my garden layout, there was a rainy day. Today the track lost its luster and there is a grey particles on its surface. Is it necessary to clean? Or there are no problems of electrical conductivity. If there is to be cleaned, which is the best method?

Thank you

Jaime

Note: this picture is day 1, no oxidation yet.

IMG_6734.JPG
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 19 August 2017 08:28:01(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I think the grey particles you see is dust, washed down by the rain.

Wipe / polish a little with a rag, and it should be gone.

In a few years, the tracks will oxidate and turn into a more brown ( and nice prototypical ) color.

Then you might need to use a little of a polishing agent like Brasso to get the top surface of the tracks clean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

After the Brasso, you might need to wash the remains of the Brasso of.

Do NOT use sandpaper etc., since you will grind tiny lines in the surface, which will make dirt stick better to the tracks.

Cleaning is always good. BigGrin

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Jaime  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2017 13:29:19(UTC)
Jaime

Chile   
Ok . Thank you very much!!!

Jaime
Offline gcanton  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2017 18:41:11(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
I found Peco hard work for electrical running outside. It does need cleaning to remain conducting and whilst it does weather to a really nice look for battery or steam running using track power is more problematical. Stainless steel for me is very low maintenance and that is true for Marklin although the points are prone to springs or fixings corroding as they are not Stainless. To an extent that is also true of other suppliers that the sleepers are UV resistant, the rails stainless but nuts and bolts need to be replaced either from new, which most of us are too lazy to do, or the first time you need to service something. I am in the UK so it is wet often. There is now Cliff Barker true gauge one stainless track but as my track predates it I have Aristocraft overscale G track but I can go outside for the first spring run and it does not need corrosion removing. Bird droppings or Tree sap perhaps but not natural weathering. Staying shiny is not so prototypical but neither are finger powered trains........

Graham