Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2017 16:22:41(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Hi all,

After literally years of thinking about my next move I have now finally decided to "leave" the SBB (and perhaps MRR hobby) behind. The "spark" I once felt is gone since long and I have other priorities in life. I have also come to the realization that I will not have the opportunity to build a permanent layout for maybe 10+ years. Career opportunities, future relocations and life will be coming in the way. As i didn't want to make a rash decision I've been giving it a lot of thought but I have decided to let my entire collection go.

Ideally I don't want to leave the hobby all together so I have decided to try some US models. I have an Santa Fe PA-1 on the way. I have always said to myself that the US models is second after SBB. I am looking forward to see if I will find a new spark on this new "track". (Eyeing the Super Chief as well..) If not, this will be the end (for now) with MRR for me.

To my questions.

1. Ideally I want to make as much as I can but with as little effort as I can. There are a few rarer items and many more common ones. All in mint condition of course. Most with boxes but some without. What would be the smartest way of selling the lot? (I have been thinking if breaking the items in to smaller lots?)

2. I am thinking eBay will provide me with a good price indication. Is this the best route to go?

3. For items without original box, how do i set a reasonable price on them?

(As I would like to see everything gone before the winter holidays at the latest I want to have reasonable asking prices).

All ideas are welcome.

As a small side note. This community has always been a lovely source for information and good company. Hopefully I will still be able to participate here, just in some other way! A big thank-you to all members who have helped me through the years!

Edited by user 14 September 2017 20:32:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2017 17:18:05(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Oliver,

I have been on such a crossroad many times before,sold many trains and after a while started buying again for my static display which only has a depth of 10 cm on the wall in our bedroom.
At first,my wife asked why i kept the light on at night,by now she has given up,she knows she married a trainsman.
Now that the displaycase is full when the 34112 (BR18 Olympic Rings)arrives next week,i am looking at some static Maxi items,latest addition is the 54702 Feldschlossen passengercar,only need to find space for it in the house.

There may be many events in life which may distract you from Marklin,i am just wondering whether you will not regret selling your trains once the dust has settled down.
May i ask you to reconsider tonight whilst having a good glass of wine?

If there is a lack of space i would opt for one single magnificant item and make it the showpiece in the house.
For example the gauge 1 BR01 or the Maxi tinplate version of the BR18,wow!

Cheers,
Paul.

Edited by user 23 July 2017 08:18:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline thomasm  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2017 20:26:26(UTC)
thomasm

Norway   
Hi,
I think that eBay gives good estimates for prices. When I'm visiting foreign trainshows like intermodellbau or eurospoor, I use eBay to compare prices. Kolls catalouge is also a good source.

One option for selling stuff is this forum, where you can experiment with the prices...

How to set reasonable prices for the items without boxes? I don't know, but I think eBay might give you some idea

What kind of items are you selling?

.thomas
Märklinist, hobbyist and collector. || Trains are meant to be driven.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by thomasm
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2017 22:13:07(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
And then there is still Marklin Z scale 1/220.
You could slide an entire layout under your bed.
Make it with four foldable legs and you can play your trains any time you want.
Come to think of it,why not sail this course myself?
And Marklin Z is still Marklin,right?

Cheers,
Paul.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200
#5 Posted : 22 July 2017 22:35:32(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Paul,

Thank you for sharing and your thoughts, I really do value them a lot! I will be doing some more reconsidering tonight, and the coming week. I do realize that I find myself hoping the "spark" will come alive again once I get to play with the Alco. I really do enjoy this hobby a lot for many different and to me, important reasons. I also am worried that selling the collection might be something i regret further down the road. Then again, I think a few F7's and a Big Boy might just take care of that? (Rhetorical question). I have also been thinking of keeping one or two items but my problem is, I really do like all of them, I would not know what to keep! Smile. I spent a few years collecting Swiss wine cars. I'm thinking them and a silver-edition 4/4 II will be the keepers but I'm not sure..

Regarding Z gauge I think it looks great, but I would find it too difficult to handle I'm afraid. I did however really like your idea of a display-shelf. I had one in my first apartment. Maybe that is the way to go.

Thomas,

Thank you! I will actually start this coming week to put out a few posts in the "WTS" section with some freight cars. And depending on how that turns out I may continue to put everything here first. It's about 30 locos, 3 railcarsets (gottardo, eurocity etc), 3 crocs, about 12 passenger coaches, 25 freight cars. Most locos have MFX and sound, some just FX and sound. There are a few with LoPiV4 as well.
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 22 July 2017 23:39:04(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
All I would say is that over the last few months I have got all my old Marklin HO 'junk' out of boxes where it has lain dormant for around 20-25 years. The kids have long since left and we are now sufficiently-anti social that we don't need the guest room.

I'm having a lot of fun reading the old newspapers I wrapped things up in...oh and building a layout too. So unless you need the money I'd think about putting it all away and forgetting about it for a few years while you focus on other things.

thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline foumaro  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2017 05:17:00(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Only one double Alco PA1 will be enough not to leave the hobby.LOL ThumpUp BigGrin Love
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline NS1200  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2017 06:56:56(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Oliver,

Once you have been on a live steamtrip it is impossible to get rid of the spark!
Have been away with the SSN 01 1075 several times,which triggered me to buy a number of Marklin BR 01 versions for the displaycase,they will never be sold,see 39010/37102/37105/37080.
Same for steamer series DRG 18,i have the versions of the Rheingold,DB,SNCF,SNCB,nice loco for little money,see 3091/3618/3111/3317.
There are many more items in the collection which are very valuable to me.
Talking USA,the blue Santa Fe F7 A-B-A (MHI issue) will never go away.
Me being a Dutchman,my two NS1200 versions and the NS 1600 ''I pulled the longest train'' will never go either.
My lovely wife once bought me a 3099 P8 from the Marklin shop in Rotterdam,it came as a total surprise and is very dear to me,it will no go away.
And so on,and so on.
it has been said before,Marklin is a disease which will not cure.

The very very very beautiful 3362,note the grey plastic innerpacking is very prone to transportdamage,if you buy one you better move it home yourselves:

http://www.vectis.co.uk/...ionImages/519/2272_l.jpg

Check out these guys,i asked for a rebate and i got it instantly:

http://www.vitrinenschmidt.de/

Did you say ''spark''?

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 23 July 2017 08:23:06(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Must be time for the annual heatwave of 25C in Sweden again.. Don't worry guys, Oliver is just suffering from the heat.. Come December, when he is once again snowed in with nothing to do, he will start up the layout again.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Harryv40  
#10 Posted : 23 July 2017 11:49:38(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Oliver

I also model the Swiss Railway and know how you feel! Sometimes you worry about how much money is tied up in all those models and could it be put to better use!

I would just tell you what a Doctor told me once, you need some you time, when you can do things you enjoy. Remember those who go to the gym or short break holiday or anyone of a number of things do it because they enjoy it, model Railways are your release from the stress of day to day pressure.
Also a number of members of the forum just display the trains without ever running them, could that be an option?

If you do decide to sell watch out for the hidden charges, eBay 10 percent seller fee plus 3 or 4 percent for PayPal.

Auction Houses rarely get great prices for the seller and they have large fees.

I see another option is to sell some of the stock via the forum, if it's Swiss I am interested for one, then put the rest either on display or in storage.

Anyway the best of luck whatever you do.
Harry
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline GlennM  
#11 Posted : 23 July 2017 12:37:44(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Oliver,

Sorry to hear you are thinking of leaving the hobby, and I am sure you are not the only member who has had such thoughts. If you do not need the space or the money immediately may I suggest a period of contemplation, whereby you do nothing MRR related for a month or two, maybe try something new in the way of a hobby, sit and watch TV, get a dog, or similar. Then after a couple or four months go back and open a new catalogue or open a box with some old Marklin inside and smell the whiff of the oil and see if the spark has returned.

As for selling, I have recently been involved in helping a friend off-load a few items, and I would say unless you want to offload your stock at very cheap prices, with the exception of the items in high demand the market is quite slow. It can also be quite time consuming. If I was you I would browse Ebay and have a genuine estimate of what you would like to recover and any margin for negotiation, then in first instance list the items here in Forum, and consider joining one of the popular Facebook pages which has a marketplace / Borse where you can list the items for free and without any sale fees (see Marklin HO Marketplace and Marklin HO Borse) ) These marketplaces are not auctions, goods are offered at a fixed price so you need to have a price in mind before you post, but I have found them a great way to sell items (I have sold items to Hong Kong, Thailand, Egypt, Argentina, USA, through Facebook, customers who may not be attracted through Ebay), and there is no fees.

After the above, you are left with Auction Houses and Ebay, and would consider for the higher value items a fixed price post on Ebay which you could include some or all of the cost of the various fees. Again at the moment I believe Ebay does not charge to post an item for sale, so you could post items at a high price initially and see if there is any interest before considering a reduction in price. Based on my experience Auction Houses would be the last resort, you have little control over the sale price (except a reserve) and the fees can be considerable, and for what, they are merely a conduit for selling items that may well sell elsewhere for little or no fee.

I hope you will take time to reconsider and hope you will return to the hobby, but if not I wish you good luck in selling on your collection.

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Best Ripper  
#12 Posted : 23 July 2017 16:33:26(UTC)
Best Ripper

Bulgaria   
Man I think you just need a rest of the hobby... Don't sell anything, don't do anything. Just package all and get out of trains... After 1-2 year you will make a decision... Cheers!
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Best Ripper
Offline Webmaster  
#13 Posted : 23 July 2017 18:02:18(UTC)
Webmaster

There is always a period in life when the real life has to have the priority.

Stow the trains away for a while and then make the decision to keep or sell.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Irish Rail  
#14 Posted : 24 July 2017 00:19:21(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
I agree with all those who suggest putting the MRR stuff aside and seeing what happens. Like many others, I am re-discovering my old Marklin which started as a Christmas present when I was 8 or 9. Since then, I got married, had kids, moved a few times and it is only now that I am getting back to it after about 20 years in the boxes. Unless you really need the money, now, hold on. Hopefully, you will find the "spark" again and enjoy the hobby in the future.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Irish Rail
Offline dickinsonj  
#15 Posted : 24 July 2017 01:32:37(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I agree with the advice given by so many others to put them away for a while before you decide. I am also a few years away from building my permanent layout but I still get a lot of enjoyment from admiring and running my trains while I wait for that magic time to come around.

My first gen digital electronics suffered two failures and when the second control 80 died I was pretty much in your situation of not being sure what to do. Since I could no longer run anything I packed it all up and waited to figure out what came next. On several occasions I decided that I should just sell it all and be done with it. Then I would think of my Big Boy and my California Zephyr and my other beautiful models and how it would feel if I never was able to see any of them run again. So all of my trains sat in storage containers for about 15 years, partly because Märklin was in their bankruptcies and I was not sure that it made sense to put more money into them.

In December of 2015 I finally gave up and bought a CS2 and started getting my trains back out, also looking to see if my spark was still there. As it turns out, it was!

Now I am back to collecting, enjoying my trains and planning for the future. Things have slowed down on several fronts in my life and I am finding the time that I spend working on and playing with my trains to be very enjoyable. Right now I have my trains out for about 6 months and packed away for the other 6 until I can build a permanent layout. But I am so very glad that I kept them and I believe that I would really regret having let them go if that had been my decision.

I share your admiration for the Santa Fe PA units and the Super Chief - both of which I may add eventually. I have talked myself out of that Super Chief so many times that I should just buy one and be done with it! This year I bought a Challenger and more American freight wagons, so now I have two beautiful US steamers and I know that I will never sell any of them.

Good luck figuring out what to do and please don't rush into this decision.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline analogmike  
#16 Posted : 24 July 2017 02:43:59(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
I don't call it a spark. I call it "The Train Genie".
I recommend that you keep all your trains and pack em' away.
One day ten or twenty years from now you can always shine the Genie's lamp and make him come out.

Mikey

I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline NS1200  
#17 Posted : 24 July 2017 06:55:03(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
All you keep now could end up in some sort of Marklin museum after your departure from this world.
Not so long ago there was a private(!) Marklin museum at Oostvoorne,The Netherlands, with an amazing collection of antique Marklin items,going back to very early beginnings of the company.
Huge display cases with glass sheets over 2 mtrs high and a depth of sometimes 2 mtrs,tinplate trains running over primitive track,tinplate stations,amazing!
People pushing their nose against the glass too.
The owner sold it,no idea where the items are now,surely he did not dump them in the bin!

"Toys have an important function in the development of a child".

thanks 9 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline kimballthurlow  
#18 Posted : 24 July 2017 09:51:04(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS Go to Quoted Post
...... so I have decided to try some US models. I have an Santa Fe PA-1 on the way. I have always said to myself that the US models is second after SBB. I am looking forward to see if I will find a new spark on this new "track". (Eyeing the Super Chief as well..) If not, this will be the end (for now) with MRR for me.

1. Ideally I want to make as much as I can but with as little effort as I can. There are a few rarer items and many more common ones. All in mint condition of course. Most with boxes but some without. What would be the smartest way of selling the lot? (I have been thinking if breaking the items in to smaller lots?)

Hi Oliver,

It is just a hobby, so I believe you are allowed to drift around in it as you please.
Go for the US stuff, and you will gradually figure out if and when to sell the SBB etc.
The only way to keep fresh in the hobby, is to change your view point.
That costs of course.

Offering sale items on this site has worked OK for me.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Minok  
#19 Posted : 24 July 2017 21:44:07(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Your not likely to get anywhere near the amount you paid for the items, unless you got really good used prices for them to begin with.
I'd recommend, carefully boxing it all up, and storing it away for a year or 5. Then if you find the spark again at some point, you have the kit, just unbox it and resume.
If you really have lost the interest, you can always sell the items then down the road whey they may well be worth more, but still likely only a fraction of what you paid.
The regret if you ever change your mind 2,5,10 years down the road will cost way more than the money you might get from selling them now.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline MarioFabro  
#20 Posted : 24 July 2017 22:30:46(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Hi Oliver:

I sometime have the same thoughts. I am heavily invested in Märklin for the past 17 years. Now probably with several 10k $ worth (my wife keeps reminding me that I could have that Porsche I dream of if I did not put so much money in trains). Also my layout is not even started (even if I finished my design 6 years ago) because my train room is constantly used as storage.

However I keep my dream alive.

I am also heavy on SBB but over the years got german steamers and US locomotives that have little to do with my "core" intention of building and alpine lay-out based on SBB BLS routes (I love the Brig-Bern route that I have done several times).

At the end we all have to contend with life and what it throws at us. I will be sorry if another fellow SBB modeler will fall by the wayside.

As for selling, I sold stuff I did not want (mostly US that I bought on impulse, Rivarossi etc.) on e-bay and recollected close to what I originally paid there. But for the new stuff I think it would not be possible to get close to the original value.

I could trade some with you. I have a Märklin 33622++4063+40622 (AT&SF F7 A+B+B), 37611+49611 (AT&SF Alco PA1), 37990 (UP 4-8-8-4 BigBoy) and 37490 (PRR GG1) as locomotives plus streamlined cars etc. but it would be difficult for me to separate myself from them. However... let me know

Mario
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by MarioFabro
Offline petestra  
#21 Posted : 25 July 2017 00:27:23(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Oliver. Sorry you feel this way but hey, we're all different. I agree with Juhan. Pack them away for a while. I don't know how old you are and it really doesn't

matter but I packed mine away from 1977-1985 (I was 24-32 then). Then we moved into a house and the train Märklin-fire-in-my-heart never left me

again. Best regards and good luck, Peter. Cool
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Br502362  
#22 Posted : 25 July 2017 08:24:37(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi Oliver Smile

If you have any possibility to pack and store your mrr gear I suggest that you do that.

I had permanent layout as a child in the 60's. Then "carpet bahns" in the 70's when we
moved to apartment building and had no room for permanent layout. In the mid 80's I
had finally the opportunity to build a permanent layout which I had to dismantle as our first
child was born in 1991. After that all my mrr gear was stocked in boxes for 22 years!
(Allthough my 1992 born son had a very small oval layout with 3000 locomotive and some cars.)

Then we bough this house and I was granted one room for mrr and boy I was happy that I didn't sell
all my gear back then!!! Woot

Cheers

Åke
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline river6109  
#23 Posted : 25 July 2017 08:24:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
At the moment I've got that many things to do and especially when things don't work out as one hopes the hobby becomes a drain and I find it hard to get the motivation to keep going but another day and things look very different, so emotions can play a big part in any hobby and getting priorities right is not an easy task to stick by.

I'm 73 next month, keeping healthy and the hobby keeps me occupied to much for my liking when all you do is repair and fix the layout so it can be run eventually and this is what keeps me going, getting away from time to time helps to check the balance and after a few days my enthusiasm has come back, so packing it away for a while could be the answer as you never know whats around the corner tomorrow or next month or next year.

we always emphasize at a later stage I shouldn't have sold it etc etc. and the regrets settle in but the damage had been done.

my layout and the original design was great at the time which is about 37 years ago and so far I haven't been able to run it because I never had the room and 37 years later I'm pulling my strength together and the help from my son to get it all finished but it is a battle up hill, I've managed to erect the new garage extension (can't believe it I did it) and now weeks just go past and here is another new or the end of a week gone past.
It is sometimes depressing seeing the whole layout and one is far away from actually running it but having come that far I realize it is stupid to put it all away or aside.

so hang in there Oliver and reconsider your options especially when your life depends on it, I've created a white elephant but at the time it was an adventure I still do not regret it today because a lot of thought, energy and money went into it, I just couldn't let it go.

regards.,

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline twmarklinfan  
#24 Posted : 25 July 2017 13:40:07(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Hi Oliver,

I have been where you are and thought about selling up but then I think about all the fun I have had along the way. 1st with the indestructible M track, learning how to automate with contact tracks, running at night with just the railway lights on, using catenary and seeing the sparks from the pantographs, so many positives.

Now I have a new inspiration. Very close friends have an 11 year old son, who has a deprived childhood as he doesn't have a train set. Every month or so he comes round for an operating session. The excitement and enthusiasm is infectious and brings back my memories at that age. Yesterday we set an agenda before we could play.
1 A new loco had to be registered on my CS2
2 A loco had come back from Marklin, it needed to be tested to check
3 some point lanterns needed to be connected up
4 next week he and his family are going to Austria for rail holiday and we had to set up a Austrian express train.

We spent a very happy 2.5 hours enjoying the trains before retiring to tea and cake, and I felt really invigorated. The only problem is that I started dreaming again, perhaps that gold plated set is not too much 😳

Best
Adrian
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by twmarklinfan
Offline baggio  
#25 Posted : 25 July 2017 14:05:31(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: twmarklinfan Go to Quoted Post
We spent a very happy 2.5 hours enjoying the trains before retiring to tea and cake, and I felt really invigorated. The only problem is that I started dreaming again, perhaps that gold plated set is not too much 😳

Don't do it - unless you are rich.

What you really enjoyed is the ability to share what you have with someone. Makes no difference what layout you have or how expensive the locos are. It's that bonding feeling that you enjoyed. BigGrin

This is the problem with this hobby: it's often a lonely experience since normally you play alone. It's when you get to play with a kid (especially) that this hobby becomes wonderful.

My usual 2 pennies' worth.

Silvano
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline river6109  
#26 Posted : 25 July 2017 14:35:58(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Hi Oliver,

I have been where you are and thought about selling up but then I think about all the fun I have had along the way. 1st with the indestructible M track, learning how to automate with contact tracks, running at night with just the railway lights on, using catenary and seeing the sparks from the pantographs, so many positives.

Best
Adrian

these were the good old days and I still can see the picture and we are talking about the 1950's-1960's

John

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Michael4  
#27 Posted : 25 July 2017 18:21:30(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Hi Oliver,

Best
Adrian

This is exactly where I am now, it is great therapy!

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline mike c  
#28 Posted : 26 July 2017 02:57:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I got into Maerklin as a kid, but the hobby was shelved through much of the 1970s and into the early 1980s, largely because I discovered girls and had to support my other hobby, DJing. The money went into records and audio equipment. I ended up back in the hobby in the mid 1980s when I took a part time job at a local hobby shop and ended up being responsible for the euro train section because I had the best knowledge about what model was what and about electric (overhead) trains. The love was further rekindled when I travelled through Europe as a University student. Since then, I went through a spot or two when times were tough and ended up selling some models to have some cash on hand. That sell off included a few Hag and Maerklin loks and cars as well as a part of my record collection. To this day, I still wish that I would have found another way. I was engaged and the wife to be did not understand the hobby, so it again took a back burner. Two months before the wedding, it was cancelled and I eventually ended up back in Montreal and found the occasional day with the teppichbahn was enough for me to forget about other stresses in life.
Since then, the collection spends most of it's time in boxes, with a few loks in display cases above my desk. Occasionally I still get the chance to take over the basement and set up the teppichbahn in all the rooms. That is worth not having a permanent layout and each train represents a train that I have seen or have been on and the memories come flooding back, so it is definitely worth keeping, even if only for fleeting moments of enjoyment.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 16 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline grnwtrs  
#29 Posted : 28 July 2017 07:13:43(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Hi Oliver,

Best
Adrian

AND.........what about the wonderful smell...................of ozone just great!!Laugh

your are so lucky.

Best Regards,
gene
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by grnwtrs
#30 Posted : 28 July 2017 18:38:38(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Thank you all for your replies! I am overwhelmed by the activity/participation this thread has generated and read every reply with great curiosity! Reading all your stories has really reminded me of the younger days when once was browsing through the 95'' catalog and dreaming about the California Zephyr, ICE starter set and German freight starter set. Again I have been reminded if how fond of this community I am.

After reading all of your views I have again thought about this and come to the conclusion that I will start to rid myself of all freight and passenger cars/coaches. Once I've sold those I will see how I feel and proceed from there.

I have taken some pictures and also tried finding the item numbers. I expect to post them here first in a few weeks time once I am back home. I also researched prices for the rest of the lot. Unfortunately the ALCO did not arrive before my planned vacation so I will have to play with that once I get back home. FD (yes, a "new" one since some time back) is very encouraging and has also "questioned" me so that I will not make a mistake in parting with the lot.

A thought that has also come to me, that I understand is probably just some weird disease talking; wasn't this hobby a lot more fun when things were simpler? Analog, a small oval with perhaps a turnout and lots of strange landscaping? On the other hand, it could just be nostalgic thoughts! Smile

SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline NS1200  
#31 Posted : 28 July 2017 21:01:21(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Thank you all for your replies! I am overwhelmed by the activity/participation this thread has generated and read every reply with great curiosity! Reading all your stories has really reminded me of the younger days when once was browsing through the 95'' catalog and dreaming about the California Zephyr, ICE starter set and German freight starter set. Again I have been reminded if how fond of this community I am.

After reading all of your views I have again thought about this and come to the conclusion that I will start to rid myself of all freight and passenger cars/coaches. Once I've sold those I will see how I feel and proceed from there.

I have taken some pictures and also tried finding the item numbers. I expect to post them here first in a few weeks time once I am back home. I also researched prices for the rest of the lot. Unfortunately the ALCO did not arrive before my planned vacation so I will have to play with that once I get back home. FD (yes, a "new" one since some time back) is very encouraging and has also "questioned" me so that I will not make a mistake in parting with the lot.

A thought that has also come to me, that I understand is probably just some weird disease talking; wasn't this hobby a lot more fun when things were simpler? Analog, a small oval with perhaps a turnout and lots of strange landscaping? On the other hand, it could just be nostalgic thoughts! Smile

Did you ever buy the California Zephyr?
It is still on my wish list,for its time i think Marklin did a great job on her!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline dickinsonj  
#32 Posted : 29 July 2017 02:31:08(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post

It is still on my wish list,for its time i think Marklin did a great job on her!

I bought that set the year that it came out and it remains one of my most favorite trains, even though the sound and detailing are getting pretty crude by today's standards. It is just a beautiful train and it operates perfectly.

I know where there is an unused Zephyr in the original box for sale here in the US. The price is $1,450 USD plus shipping. Those kind of second chances don't come around every day though, so maybe you should think about that. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline river6109  
#33 Posted : 29 July 2017 05:55:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

has entered my mind many times

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
GLI
Offline Bones  
#34 Posted : 19 August 2017 11:27:37(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
Just to add my 2 cent's worth the value of the hobby was brought home to me three times

1. I used the Marklin collection as collateral on a small loan from Avco Finance

2. Anton who ran a hobby shop in Westmead just north of Paramatta refused to sell my collection because he said they were good mixture and I'd
paid to much money to just throw them away

3. Noel my current dealer said the same thing pretty much but also added that I should consider converting them to digital

Like most things in live your interest waxes and wanes but it never totaly goes

Hobbies are like wives can't live with them can't live without them

Thats why i kept mine
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bones
Offline NS1200  
#35 Posted : 19 August 2017 11:36:09(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I bought that set the year that it came out and it remains one of my most favorite trains, even though the sound and detailing are getting pretty crude by today's standards. It is just a beautiful train and it operates perfectly.

I know where there is an unused Zephyr in the original box for sale here in the US. The price is $1,450 USD plus shipping. Those kind of second chances don't come around every day though, so maybe you should think about that. BigGrin

Thanks Jim,

Postage from the USA to Holland is spoiling the game.
Going price for the set overhere is around Euro 600.-,i would settle for that.
They once and a while come up for sale.
It is about getting your priorities right,first is the 39205 DDR steamer 01.5,that is a must have for me.

Cheers,
Paul.

Offline baggio  
#36 Posted : 19 August 2017 15:23:04(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bones Go to Quoted Post
Just to add my 2 cent's worth the value of the hobby was brought home to me three times

Hobbies are like wives can't live with them can't live without them

Thats why i kept mine

What, the wife or the hobby? LOL
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline dickinsonj  
#37 Posted : 20 August 2017 01:30:12(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Thanks Jim,

Postage from the USA to Holland is spoiling the game.
Going price for the set overhere is around Euro 600.-,i would settle for that.
They once and a while come up for sale.
It is about getting your priorities right,first is the 39205 DDR steamer 01.5,that is a must have for me.

Cheers,
Paul.

Good point - insane international postage is stopping me from buying from some great European dealers these day. My options are a lot more limited if I stay just within North America but warranty shipping can double what you pay for a loco.

Good choice on the 39205 - I considered that for a really long time but never got it - funny how I sometimes am able to resist such a great loco. I have a good number of red/black steamers and I needed to diversify my roster a bit I guess and I had just gotten a 39007 which is quite nice.

Here in the US 600€ is a good price from my perspective for the Zephyr and pretty much what I paid for mine many years ago. The one I mentioned is brand new in the original container and so a bit of a time machine deal, but he wants $1450 USD! One in good shape for 600€ would be a really nice value IMO.
Regards,
Jim

Offline NS1200  
#38 Posted : 20 August 2017 09:23:49(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Jim,

I am trying to get the complete evolutionrange of the 01 complete.
The DDR 01.5 was at the top of the foodchain so to speak,with an output of 1,839 KW,as compared to the basic 01 having an output of 1,648 KW.
The 01.10 (3 cylinder) had 1,728 KW for coal,1,817 KW for oil,the limited series 10 an output of 1,839 KW.
Also,i like the Boxspok wheeltype on the loco,rather typical.

In order to protect my budget,firstly i will need to buy two more tinplate USA boxcars,they come at acceptable prices.
Perhaps the 39205 and the 26600 California Zephyr will follow in the great year 2018...........

Cheers,

Paul.
#39 Posted : 01 September 2017 10:08:30(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
I am so sorry for my late reply! Finally I have started to auction the lot off, after yet a few more reconsiderations I have decided that it must go.

If you are interested you can find the auctions on the Swedish online auction site "tradera".

The ALCO finally did arrive and now has a new happy home and I am eyeing the California Zephyr and Super Chief.. It certainly has a heavy.. feeling to it and I think this new path in the MRR world will be an interesting one. I aim to have just a smaller collection however so about three passenger trains and 1 freight train (Big Boy and a few box cars?).

Thank you all for the participation so far in this thread! I've enjoyed reading every bit of it!

It also occurs to me how irrelevant my screen-name on this site now is Smile
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline Will  
#40 Posted : 03 September 2017 17:11:49(UTC)
Will

United States   
I am so sorry for my late reply! Finally I have started to auction the lot off, after yet a few more reconsiderations I have decided that it must go.

If you are interested you can find the auctions on the Swedish online auction site "tradera".

The ALCO finally did arrive and now has a new happy home and I am eyeing the California Zephyr and Super Chief.. It certainly has a heavy.. feeling to it and I think this new path in the MRR world will be an interesting one. I aim to have just a smaller collection however so about three passenger trains and 1 freight train (Big Boy and a few box cars?).

Thank you all for the participation so far in this thread! I've enjoyed reading every bit of it!

It also occurs to me how irrelevant my screen-name on this site now is Smile

Glad you are finding US models stimulating. I too have been struggling with malaise about MRR, and other hobbies actually. I have a hodgepodge of items, all M, but such that I struggle with deciding on an Era or even country. I also find planning a layout daunting from a track standpoint, so I have stalled at the very outset of building any sort of layout. Paralysis by analysis as they say. Anyhow, your post and the thoughtful replies were timely and helpful. Pulled out my Marklin stuff and feeling some renewal of interest.

Now, to actually decide on theme/era/country etc. for an actual layout. Confused LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Will
Offline baggio  
#41 Posted : 03 September 2017 17:29:14(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
"Now, to actually decide on theme/era/country etc. for an actual layout."

WHY? I mean, why do you feel compelled to have to decide on any of the above?

Just put the layout together as it comes. Put the locos and wagons together as they come. AND THEN PLAY.

Just make sure it will be not too difficult to undo what you have done.

This way, you get to play and have fun. You get to learn what works best for you. You get to find out which eras you like best.

Remember, a layout is NOT a marriage, you get to ... play the field as you go. BigGrin

You might even want to add an economical ANALOGUE 2 rail US layout to the Marklin layout, just for the fun of it.

That's what I do and undo and re-do and so on. ThumpUp

Have a good Sunday, everyone.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
#42 Posted : 12 September 2017 09:01:04(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
So, just wanted to let you know that I "unfortunately" won an auction on ebay.de a few nights ago. I Santa Fe Super Chief is now on it's way to me for evaluation. Really looking forward to receiving it! It did go for a quite hefty amount of money, but I figure, if I don't "feel it" I will just sell it again here in Sweden.

Now, how to build that US desert themed display shelf? Smile
SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline NS1200  
#43 Posted : 12 September 2017 10:06:04(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Oliver,good job!
Nice set to keep till you are old and grey.
I am going the opposite direction,collecting the coaches for my good old 3060/4060 Santa Fe F7 units.
First in line is 43604,the Observation endcoach,expected one of these days.
They still do not come cheap.

And then there is still the 26600 California Zephyr on the wishlist.....................

Enjoy!
Offline dickinsonj  
#44 Posted : 13 September 2017 15:55:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
So, just wanted to let you know that I "unfortunately" won an auction on ebay.de a few nights ago. I Santa Fe Super Chief is now on it's way to me for evaluation. Really looking forward to receiving it! It did go for a quite hefty amount of money, but I figure, if I don't "feel it" I will just sell it again here in Sweden.

I know of a new Super Chief set available from a dealer here in North America and I have been forcing myself not to buy it for over a year now. Sometimes I hope that they will just sell it before I break down and get it. I would be interested in hearing what you think of yours when you get it. Actually I know of two, one from that dealer and another new one from a collector who also has a new in the box CZ.

I tell myself that the Super Chief is too much like my California Zephyr and that I don't need it, since American prototypes are not my focus, but it sure is a pretty train. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline foumaro  
#45 Posted : 13 September 2017 16:10:26(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I know of a new Super Chief set available from a dealer here in North America and I have been forcing myself not to buy it for over a year now. Sometimes I hope that they will just sell it before I break down and get it. I would be interested in hearing what you think of yours when you get it. Actually I know of two, one from that dealer and another new one from a collector who also has a new in the box CZ.

I tell myself that the Super Chief is too much like my California Zephyr and that I don't need it, since American prototypes are not my focus, but it sure is a pretty train. BigGrin

Perfect marklin USA heavy metals are never too much.Love ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline foumaro  
#46 Posted : 13 September 2017 16:12:05(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   

Perfect,you will not regret it.LOL Love ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Michael4  
#47 Posted : 13 September 2017 19:42:16(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
For me, the hobby has two very important rules:

1) Never finish a layout, keep changing things.

2) Don't buy new stuff, it is too easy. More fun to be had mending old stuff. 'Fun' could mean 'play' or a means of distracting oneself from other matters.

But then, I am talking about analogue, OK so plus a 3v led lighting circuit and the Raspberry Pi Vidtrain and any other madness that happens to come along.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Michael4
#48 Posted : 14 September 2017 09:05:16(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
I will definitely return with a small review of the set. Not having been active in the hobby for a few years it may not be very detailed, but look out for a thread in the near future regarding the subject. It is due to arrive today so hopefully the weekend will be train-time!

The California Zephyr with the Silver Mustang coach is also a very nice looking set... Smile
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline Br502362  
#49 Posted : 14 September 2017 12:49:41(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   

Visit Lökken beach in Denmark and take a shovel and some buckets with you Laugh
I collected about 5 liters sand from the beach as we were there. Lökken sand is something that I had never seen.
It is so smooth that it is like dust.

I think that a little shovel work will not change that landscape too much BigGrin

Tanska 2012 211a.jpg Tanska 2012 209a.jpg

Cheers

Åke
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline dickinsonj  
#50 Posted : 14 September 2017 18:10:55(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I will definitely return with a small review of the set. Not having been active in the hobby for a few years it may not be very detailed, but look out for a thread in the near future regarding the subject. It is due to arrive today so hopefully the weekend will be train-time!

The California Zephyr with the Silver Mustang coach is also a very nice looking set... Smile

Thank you Oliver. I am really only interested in your impressions of this train set, not a detailed technical review, so I look forward to reading what you think.

I have the Silver Mustang coach for my CZ and it makes quite an impressive train. My only issue with it is that the tint on the coach windows is different on some cars, which breaks up the appearance a bit. But very few trains have so many dome coaches and the metal coach bodies are quite nice. The same molds are used for all of the American passenger coaches, which are based on a Budd design and you will see those very soon when your Super Chief arrives. Cool

Have a fun weekend with your new train! BigGrin
Regards,
Jim