Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#51 Posted : 14 September 2017 20:32:09(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Well, low and behold, the Super Chief arrived today!

Upon first inspection it visually was as described in the auction, brand new and unused. I've never even handled the metal streamliner coaches before and I can just say "wow". Instantly fell for them.

It is also the first time I see an F7 in person and it was certainly no let-down visually. The detailing and paintwork is amazing! However the big disappointment came once I had placed it on the track and the MS2 detected it (MFX). Only the engine in the second B unit runs! The motor in the A unit is dead. All other functions including sounds and lights seem to work. I opened her up and everything is connected and actually, intermittently I think the motor actually does run.

I'm not sure what to do now. I have emailed the ebay seller and informed him of the situation. I am awaiting a response. I do want to keep the set, but I am not prepared to start rebuilding a brand new item for this price to make it work. Any advice from fellow members here is greatly appreciated! I do not think it has to do with hardened oil etc as the model is "too" new and the wheels and gears spin freely.

I will write a full review once I have sorted this mess out. I just want a working train :(
SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline foumaro  
#52 Posted : 15 September 2017 05:57:19(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I had such problems with five pole motors,it was just a cleaning and drop of oil.Try it,you have nothing to loose.
Offline dickinsonj  
#53 Posted : 15 September 2017 06:55:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS Go to Quoted Post
Any advice from fellow members here is greatly appreciated! I do not think it has to do with hardened oil etc as the model is "too" new and the wheels and gears spin freely.

OK - it sounds like things are probably fine mechanically, but I think that the motor in the A unit is not always getting power. I believe that the decoder sends one power output to both motors so the decoder is most likely working correctly if the B unit is running. The simplest point of failure in the motor circuitry is the brushes.

I would start by removing both brushes and make sure that they are intact and properly seated. It is also very easy for the small wire that presses the brushes into the commutator to be out of place. That wire both pushes the brushes against the commutator and passes current to them. If someone removed the brushes and did not properly replace them or properly re-seat that wire, the A unit motor would only be powered intermittently.

If you do not know how to do that procedure first look at the user manual, which will show a very simplified diagram of how to change the brushes. If you need more help someone here should be able to guide you. I would post some pictures of how that all works, but I am traveling right now and don't have access to my models to take any pictures for you.

The bright side is that those motors have been around for a very long time and are very simple in design and operation, so I doubt that there is anything seriously wrong. All of the functional parts are readily available and replaceable, so this is fixable. I would be surprised if you get much help from the seller though, but it never hurts to ask.

Good luck and keep us informed about how this is going. Lots of people here on the forum have a good bit of experience with these DCM power units and can guide you on fixing this problem.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline PJMärklin  
#54 Posted : 15 September 2017 07:14:26(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post

Visit Lökken beach in Denmark and take a shovel and some buckets with you Laugh
I collected about 5 liters sand from the beach as we were there. Lökken sand is something that I had never seen.
It is so smooth that it is like dust.

I think that a little shovel work will not change that landscape too much BigGrin

Cheers

Åke

Hello Åke,

I must also admit to pirating a tin-full of beach sand for my layout !BigGrin

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
#55 Posted : 15 September 2017 08:56:59(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
I am loving the sand idea! Maybe a weekend trip with FD would convince her as well... [smile}
SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
#56 Posted : 15 September 2017 08:58:24(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Any advice from fellow members here is greatly appreciated! I do not think it has to do with hardened oil etc as the model is "too" new and the wheels and gears spin freely.

OK - it sounds like things are probably fine mechanically, but I think that the motor in the A unit is not always getting power. I believe that the decoder sends one power output to both motors so the decoder is most likely working correctly if the B unit is running. The simplest point of failure in the motor circuitry is the brushes.

I would start by removing both brushes and make sure that they are intact and properly seated. It is also very easy for the small wire that presses the brushes into the commutator to be out of place. That wire both pushes the brushes against the commutator and passes current to them. If someone removed the brushes and did not properly replace them or properly re-seat that wire, the A unit motor would only be powered intermittently.

If you do not know how to do that procedure first look at the user manual, which will show a very simplified diagram of how to change the brushes. If you need more help someone here should be able to guide you. I would post some pictures of how that all works, but I am traveling right now and don't have access to my models to take any pictures for you.

The bright side is that those motors have been around for a very long time and are very simple in design and operation, so I doubt that there is anything seriously wrong. All of the functional parts are readily available and replaceable, so this is fixable. I would be surprised if you get much help from the seller though, but it never hurts to ask.

Good luck and keep us informed about how this is going. Lots of people here on the forum have a good bit of experience with these DCM power units and can guide you on fixing this problem.

Thank you for the helpful idea! I will try this tomorrow and post back. I really hope you are right. I have done quite a few rebuilds and mods through the years so I do feel confident in trying. It just really sucks to having to do this on a brand new model.

SBB Era IV - VI
Offline RayF  
#57 Posted : 15 September 2017 09:01:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The sand on our local beaches is a little too coarse for use as ballast, but I have tried it in the past.

Unfortunately our sand also consists of a large proportion of iron particles, and these get attracted to all the solenoid accessories clogging them up.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Jay
Offline dickinsonj  
#58 Posted : 15 September 2017 16:13:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Thank you for the helpful idea! I will try this tomorrow and post back. I really hope you are right. I have done quite a few rebuilds and mods through the years so I do feel confident in trying. It just really sucks to having to do this on a brand new model.

I agree that it sucks to have to work on a new model, but in the last 18 months I have had to work on several new coach sets and send a rail bus back to my dealer for a PCB and decoder replacement after just a few weeks of use. So this stuff does happen unfortunately.

If you don't find a problem with the brushes or wires, you should check the wiring from the decoder to the motor and maybe put a meter on the brush leads and make sure that you are getting power to that motor. This would be a great time to have a test stand so that you could run the model and check out the wiring and power while it is stationary. It does sound like you have the skills to handle this problem though and I really hope that you get this fixed without too much hassle.

I look forward to hearing how this turns out.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
#59 Posted : 18 September 2017 20:51:53(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Hi Jim, all,

I can now report that the issue has been resolved. The Loco works and much thanks to Jim's suggestions. I disassembled the motor in the A unit then re-assembled it. Then it just worked. I think the brushes were at fault. Writing this on the phone so an extensive review will come later in a separate thread.

Thanks again!
SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline dickinsonj  
#60 Posted : 19 September 2017 00:16:55(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I can now report that the issue has been resolved.!

Excellent!

I look forward to hearing your impressions of this train set.

Regards,
Jim