Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DSupra  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2017 18:14:35(UTC)
DSupra

United States   
Hi,

I am using Marklin C tracks with MS2. I need some help with train automation. Based on the figure below, is there a way to change the signal (either 7039 or 76493) at point A from red to green when a train passes point B? If you can provide the wiring schematic, it will be greatly appreciated.

I have M83, which I think can be used to control signal 7039. I don't own any contact or circuit tracks. Thanks in advance for your help.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 15 July 2017 06:23:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jabez  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2017 21:54:31(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
You need something at point B that senses when the loco passes B. i.e you need a contact track, switch track, reed switch, or some other device that will detect the passage of the train at B and send the appropriate command to the signal at A.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2017 21:58:25(UTC)
Webmaster

If you don't have a contact/switch track, or some other occupancy detector, it will be a true challenge to accomplish it.

With a contact track, you can change the turnout an "analog" signal as the 7039 with track voltage.

With a CS/Ecos or such, you can take it a step further and use s88-type of feedback modules and then use any kind of detector available, but unfortunately I don't think this is possible with a MS/2.

Others may have a better solution, but my answer is from my own experience with it.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline DSupra  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2017 22:21:37(UTC)
DSupra

United States   
Thanks Jabez and Juhan for the quick answers. I came cross this diagram, this might solve my problem. However, since I am not using the old Marklin transformer (I am using the switched mode power pack), where would the yellow wire from 7039 connect to?

UserPostedImage
Offline Jabez  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2017 23:35:19(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
The yellow wire provides the power to the signal for its lights and solenoid. Since you are using the power pack and the MS2, the place to get the power is directly from the track, so connect the yellow lead to the B (Bahn) tongue under any section of C track that is permanently powered, i.e. don't don't connect it to any track sections inside the isolated block section shown on your diagram. You should also connect the brown terminal or lead of the signal to the O (earth or negative) tongue beside the B tongue. This earth or ground connection is not shown on your diagram because it probably refers to M track where the signal is grounded by clipping its metal base plate to the metal track bed.
This use of track power to power solenoid accessories is OK for small layouts with few accessories. Those with larger layouts and many solenoid accessories often prefer to draw their accessory power from a separate Marklin or other brand 16V AC transformer. If you have one available then just plug the yellow lead from the signal into the yellow socket of the Trafo and and brown lead into the brown socket.
Whatever method you use, the red leads from the signal go to track current tongues as shown in the diagram. This turns the power on or off in the isolated block so your train will stop when the signal shows red and go when green shows.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline DSupra  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2017 15:07:21(UTC)
DSupra

United States   
Thanks for the clear explanations Jabez. It seems like 7039 is no longer available from Marklin. Would Viessmann 4530 be a good substitute for 7039? Since it has similar features and wiring arrangement as the 7039. Thanks.
Offline Crazy Harry  
#7 Posted : 04 July 2017 15:54:44(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DSupra Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Jabez and Juhan for the quick answers. I came cross this diagram, this might solve my problem. However, since I am not using the old Marklin transformer (I am using the switched mode power pack), where would the yellow wire from 7039 connect to?

UserPostedImage

DSupra - you do realize that the tracks labelled circuit tracks with the green plug at the top of the loop and the red plug at the bottom of the loop are contract/circuit tracks which you said you don't have. Those tracks complete the circuit - blue wire to ground, for the solenoid coil to be activated which changes the semaphore and internal contacts of the signal.

I looked up the Viessmann 4530 and it seems to be the appropriate substitute for the obsolete Marklin 7039.

Harold.
Offline DSupra  
#8 Posted : 04 July 2017 16:15:04(UTC)
DSupra

United States   
Hi Harry,

Thanks for the clarifications. I will be ordering the circuit tracks and other parts once I confirmed what components are needed to make this work.
Offline Jabez  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2017 16:59:14(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
A footnote on the Viesmann 4530 The Viesmann 4500 does the same job and is a bit less expensive. It is listed as 'discontinued' in the Viesmann catalog but is still available from many dealers. If you find one you can probably save a few bucks.
The circuit track you want is 24994 and you will need two of them. They are straight half-length. If you are building a simple loop as shown in your second plan this is what you need.
Offline Jabez  
#10 Posted : 04 July 2017 18:25:42(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Looking back at your original track diagram, and taking the points A and B as given, I am not clear as to what you actually want to achieve other than changing the color aspect of the signal without it having any influence on the train. If you have the signal set to Red and the turnout set to the right branch, then when the train gets to B the signal will change to green, but that is all. The train will then pass around the loop and come back past the signal A which remains at Green and will proceed through the turnout to the end of the track. If you then reverse the train it will repeat the sequence but the signal will remain at Green. If you change the turnout when the train starts on its reverse journey so that it takes the left branch it will pass the Green signal A and proceed to B where, IF you connect the second terminal of the circuit track to the red lead of signal A it will change it back to red, and continue to the end of the track. You will now be back at the position where you started provided you change the turnout back to the right branch position and the whole sequence can be repeated.
If this is what you want to do then one circuit track is enough (and you may want to move B a little to the left so it falls on a straight track section so you can use a straight circuit track instead of a curved one).
Offline DSupra  
#11 Posted : 05 July 2017 02:25:54(UTC)
DSupra

United States   
Perhaps, a full track plan might explain a little better. I plan on running 3 trains if not more at the same time. Since this section of the track is hidden, I am hoping by automating point A, I can avoid train collisions. The turnout in front of the point A/B will not change. Trains will always go into the tunnel on the right track and exit the left track.

From my understanding, if I put a circuit track between point A and the turnout, as the train passes over the circuit track, it will change the signal back to red at point A. I could be wrong. So the train that passes point B will eventually stop at point A and will not move until the next train passes point B. By the way, this track plan was based on a track plan on Marklin 5/2012 magazine, which I modified slightly to fit on a 4x8 table.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 15 July 2017 06:24:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DSupra
Offline Jabez  
#12 Posted : 06 July 2017 22:36:33(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Referring back to your initial diagram where points A and B are shown you appeared to want a circuit track at B to change signal A to green, which it will do, but now you write ''if I put a circuit track between point A and the turnout''. Did you actually mean to write point B?
Whatever, if you connect a circuit track at B to the green terminal of the signal at A, a train passing B will always turn signal A to Green.
If you put another circuit track after signal A and just before or after the turnout and connect this to the red terminal of A, the train passing over it will turn A to Red again. If you have placed an isolated section of track before A, a train will stop at A and only move past it once another train has passed B to turn A green again.
I hope this clarifies the situation.
Offline DSupra  
#13 Posted : 15 July 2017 05:33:01(UTC)
DSupra

United States   
Thanks Jabez. The circuit tracks and the signals came in today. After playing with the connections on the two circuit tracks, I finally got it to work. Thanks everyone for your help.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 15 July 2017 07:40:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DSupra Go to Quoted Post
It seems like 7039 is no longer available from Marklin. Would Viessmann 4530 be a good substitute for 7039? Since it has similar features and wiring arrangement as the 7039.

There are plenty of 7039 signals available from the likes of ebay, for about $20 to $25 USD.

The Marklin replacement for the 7039 signal is 70391.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/70391/

Capture.JPG