Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sethweeks73  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2017 04:29:33(UTC)
sethweeks73

United States   
Greetings,
I love my Marklin trains. This was partly the reason I dismantled my small 2 rail DC layout. I wanted to be able to run both 2 and 3 rail on the same layout. My question is have any members out there built layouts using both track systems? If so were you happy with the results or was it too much of a compromise? I am limited to a 4x8 table and I have been experimenting with different sized ovals of 2 rail DC and Marklin C and M track. I was just wondering what others have tried.
Thanks,
Seth
Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2017 06:17:18(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Nothing wrong with that as long as you keep the two systems separated.
I would opt for Marklin C track for AC and Trix C track for DC because they have the same look.
There is a nice layout in Marklin Magazin 03/2017 (see topic on this forum) with an upper level and a lower level,ideal for your idea.
Trix configuration also shown.
Good luck!

https://www.maerklin.de/...tei_Gleisplaene_MM03.pdf
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2017 11:07:51(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Forum member Baggio once had a compact layout with separate ovals for 2- and 3-rail operation. Forum member 5HorizonsRR is preparing a compact ayout with Maerklin C track on the lower and BEMO narrow gauge on the upper level. And there is a large modular dual-track US-themed layout named "Sherman Hill" on public display in Germany with one track for 2- and the other for 3-rail operations - see image.
model-train-sherman-hill-railroad-railway-7.jpg
http://www.pilentum.de/m...l-railroad-railway-7.jpg
Offline Leitner  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2017 12:15:35(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Yeah, actually you can use C Track from Trix for DC part as suggested, you can also connect the two tracks together if you remove the electical part from the extremities of the connecting tracks...
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
Offline sjbartels  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2017 19:21:30(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
This discussion just made me think of something else, I like the idea of, if combining a 2 rail and 3 rail system onto the same layout, of using Trix C track so the track types are consistent. However, in the interests of increasing rolling stock type, I wonder if there is a way you could run DC Piko loks on the Trix track instead with Piko hardware? Or would you just use Piko hardware and connect to the Trix C track? Just a random thought. After all, getting AC Trix, you aren't really gaining anything really different, rolling stock wise, than Märklin three rail.
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline rbw993  
#6 Posted : 22 June 2017 19:34:16(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Trix in analog form is DC not AC. Piko and any standard 2 rail HO is compatible.
Offline sjbartels  
#7 Posted : 22 June 2017 19:44:03(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Trix in analog form is DC not AC. Piko and any standard 2 rail HO is compatible.

Thats what I figured. I guess my principal thought is what would be (if different) easier, connecting Piko controls to the Trix C track for operation of Piko rolling stock on said track, OR controlling it with the usual Trix control?
Offline rbw993  
#8 Posted : 22 June 2017 19:52:42(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
With a soldering iron you can connect anything you want. On my Marklin layout that's how I connect power. The spade connectors are convenient for a train set or carpetbahn but if you need a lot of hook ups soldering is more reliable and cheaper.

Regards,
Roger
Offline sjbartels  
#9 Posted : 22 June 2017 20:01:09(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
With a soldering iron you can connect anything you want. On my Marklin layout that's how I connect power. The spade connectors are convenient for a train set or carpetbahn but if you need a lot of hook ups soldering is more reliable and cheaper.

Regards,
Roger

Oh I'm the same way with my hook up now, I prefer solder over the spades as well.
Offline Markus Schild  
#10 Posted : 22 June 2017 20:49:57(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Club-layouts which use Märklin K-track for dual - operation are not rare in Germany. K-Track can be also used for the operation of DC-trains, the rails are insulated to each other. Naturally they cannot run the trains of both systems on the same time, but they have a main - switch to select the operation system. This works for wider radius and NEM - Wheels, not with RP25 wheels.
I my overhead wiring with DC. So I can run at least electrical DC- locos without changing anything.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline applor  
#11 Posted : 23 June 2017 00:51:00(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Club-layouts which use Märklin K-track for dual - operation are not rare in Germany. K-Track can be also used for the operation of DC-trains, the rails are insulated to each other. Naturally they cannot run the trains of both systems on the same time, but they have a main - switch to select the operation system. This works for wider radius and NEM - Wheels, not with RP25 wheels.
I my overhead wiring with DC. So I can run at least electrical DC- locos without changing anything.

Regards

Markus

This, though only the R9 wide radius K track turnouts rails are electrically isolated. The R3 radius turnout rails are electrically connected.

Though the OP may be wanting to run AC and DC at the same time, in which case you must have separate tracks for each.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline waorb  
#12 Posted : 23 June 2017 16:23:56(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello Seth!

Welcome aboard!

My layout have the 3-Rail from Märklin together with 2-Rail from local manufacturer Frateschi.

Youtube Video

Inside the U-shaped layout there is all Märklins, and outside plenty of DC rails, turnouts, and even a roundtable. All electrically separated of course. For that DC layout I have 3 insulated "ovals".

Cheers,

Walter
Offline sethweeks73  
#13 Posted : 24 June 2017 06:02:27(UTC)
sethweeks73

United States   
Thank you everyone for the responses. I am leaning toward using the C track instead of M for the three rail portion. I prefer the look of M but the trains run so much smoother on the C track. I was considering Trix C track for the 2 rail portion. I am concerned my older Jouef, Hornby and Rivirossi trains will have issues on it as I read it is code 83. Currently my 2 rail track is Atlas code 100 laid on cork roadbed. Walter your railroad was inspiring. I really like Frateschi trains. I have several I bought over the years but they are hard to find in my area.
Thanks,
Seth
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sethweeks73
Offline Serotta1972  
#14 Posted : 29 June 2017 08:12:57(UTC)
Serotta1972

United States   
I was using HO Kato Unitrack for my DC/DCC trains and when I got a Marklin set with the C track - I found it to be better in many ways so decided to get the Trix C track as I thought it would be identical except for the center studs and rail code. But to my surprise it's also different in color as it's a much lighter brown and I actually really like the dark brown of the Marklin C track. Even the rail color is different. I know it's just aesthetics's and I'm really more into the durability of the track themselves so the color is not a deal breaker. The C track is perfect for the type model railroading that I do - temporary setups.

fullsizeoutput_4553.jpegIMG_5252.JPG