Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Brakeman  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2017 17:02:11(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Hello,

are you running your 1 scale trains outside?

Me and my partner in crime took a BR 18 and 80 for a field trip. Both locos never been run more than back and forth on a test track.
I set up a track from LGB and Aristocraft pieces I have for my garden train project. These tracks have been out all their life and need sanding every time before use to det any contact.
We were a bit disappointed for the running charastericts, power pickup was sporadic and locos needed to pushed by hand occasionally. A 3-railers nightmare!
BR 80 is analog and with full speed it was able to make a full circle, but not on constant speed. Sounded like a weed eater. The power pickup is basically by 4 wheels, two side by side.
The 18 is digital and having full voltage all the time helped, on analog it barely moved. With acceleration off it somewhat made the track around. The power pickup is on tender wheels.

It was drizzling but trcks were not shorting. Next day was dry and I tested the same track on my LGB toy train. It ran like a champ, even shunting back and forth was enojyable. LGB's have a ugly slider on both sides for power pickup, seems to work well.

My main point here is, do you ever take your 1 scale stock out? Is it ment for indoor use only on a super clean tracks?
I've been hooked now, watching 1 scale videos on youtube and surveying the backyard for tracking rights.

Thanks,
Juha

BR80_20170101_10_33_18_Pro.jpg

BR18_20161231_11_33_21_Pro (2).jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Brakeman
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2017 21:57:41(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I have had my 1-gauge Märklin outside several times, and never had any problems.

I use PECO and have earlier used Märklin track.

I guess that you only sand your tracks "on the top", and that your Märklin trains on LGB track runs more on the flanges of the wheels,
than the should.

Try sanding on the "inside" of the tracks too.

Here's an 6 - 7 year old video, from a day when I had a few friends visiting me. ( Also with a BR18 )

The idiot in the background talking way too much is me, not knowing that the video was being made Blink

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2017 22:58:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Brakeman Go to Quoted Post

Absolutely not! Scared

I also don't have much flat section around my house, so can't really run them outside even if I wanted to.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline gcanton  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2017 14:18:44(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
I do run them outside on Aristocraft stainless steel track. I would expect to go out in the spring and run most of the track, after cleaning the points of debris, first time and often fully with a Maxi loco with sliders or a V100 with spread 8 wheel pickup. I had trouble with an 80 as it is not a smooth runner and presumably due to the valve gear runs like a real two cylinder engine. It proved that as it waddles slightly it gets dirty wheels and so they needed cleaning not the track. Running slower with less weaving it runs better ironically. I have had similiar with 4 wheeled Maxi locos that a realistic speed is best. Sap and droppings will need cleaning and I run a track cleaning wagon to keep oily residues down during a session. The brass and nickel silver track seems to work well for LGB but I found it less sucessful without tedious maintainance with Marklin. I find that Nickel Silver needs more cleaning than I would expect even indoors as I have a short length to test Loco's after programming or oiling and that needs wiping down quite often. I find clean track stays clean, dirty breeds dirt so the track cleaning wagon works well outside. The new very fine Hubner type models are very delicate for the rougher outdoor world with plants to snag the fine detail and so I find last century models wether Maxi or 1 less stressful to run in the wild. It is good to see a sensible length train running well on a sunny day. I also run them on digital outside and I think the 18-20 volts at a highish frequency works better than lower voltage DC or conventional AC. But beware digital running can be heavy on smoke units as outside it is easy to get into just watching and enjoying them run but with the constant higher voltage the units can blow quite easily if they run out of oil.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gcanton
Offline blid  
#5 Posted : 09 January 2017 16:04:14(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I want to see my engines – and trains – move. The 9.75 m (32’) U-shaped test/storage track indoors is certainly not enough. Outdoors is my only option. My garden isn’t flat but that doesn’t matter. I prefer to see the trains more from the side rather than from above, and I am not much for scenery. My LGB tracks are placed on weather resistant boards 0.4 m (15”) to over 2 m (85”) above ground. The tracks have been outdoors for about 10 summers now. Everything is kept indoors during the winter half of the year.

I haven’t had any problems with power until this summer. At first I thought of dirty tracks and bought a LGB track cleaning engine. I later realized that the problem was caused by the rail joiners. I had taken the tracks apart and put them together too many times. The joints needed to be squeezed tighter to make better contact with the rails. I don’t run analog.

Marklin tender steam engines are too delicate and expensive to be handled by me. However, my friends have run theirs on my outdoor layout. I have some diesels, a 55641 BR64 and a 55924 set with a T9. Well the 5070, Der Adler, has a tender but I can handle it. I find my MTH OneGauge easier to handle. No problems handling their Big Boy.

I have described my layout in another forum http://www.gscaletrainfo...manent-technical-layout/
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline El Capitan  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2017 12:59:02(UTC)
El Capitan

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Brakeman Go to Quoted Post

Yes sir, I don't mind if I do.
I don't have a large scale layout myself - neither indoors or outdoors - but a friend has:

Jens

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by El Capitan
Offline Brakeman  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2017 21:58:29(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Thanks guys for the advice and great video links.
This stuff is really addictive!

I'll continue my outdoor explorations with Märklin, maybe we Scandinavians have it in our genes,
Juha
Offline artfull dodger  
#8 Posted : 26 May 2017 05:16:24(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Back when I had some Gauge 1 Marklin, I tried it on my garden railway and like your BR80, I was not impressed with the power pickup issues. LGB engines have track skates and all wheel pickup for a reason, its needed in the garden. Sanding track isnt a good idea, it leaves grooves in the brass railhead. You need the LGB track polishing block to shine up the tops of the rails. I use mine for anything from HO track to my garden railway, well I did. All of my LGB engines have been converted to onboard battery power. I am looking for one of those BR80's to convert to battery power as well. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Janne75  
#9 Posted : 13 June 2017 20:31:17(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I run my Märklin 1 trains indoor in our living room. I build there on the floor few times per year a "layout". Size is about 2,5 x 7,5 meters and I can have double tracks around (curved tracks radius 1020 mm and 1176 mm) with some sidings. I have no plans to use them ever outside. I would have enough tracks to build a garden layout, but I don't want to build any bases for the tracks in our garden.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline aliaksin  
#10 Posted : 14 March 2021 18:16:08(UTC)
aliaksin

Hello All,

Are these trains totally rainproof? Can they be run under rain or snow?

This question is about the locomotives and switch mechanism.

Ali
Offline nygma  
#11 Posted : 19 March 2021 18:01:46(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
I only run them outdoors, I don't have an indoor layout. Marklin locos, and they are all fine. I did run them in the snow a few times without any issues. The wheels pick up more dirt outside, so they need regular cleaning (like once a year during winter). So far I have no issues. My outdoor layout is around 5-6 years old now.

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_2839_40_41_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_1592_3_4_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_2339_40_41_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_1262_3_4_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_1277_8_9_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_2375_6_7_tonemapped.jpg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by nygma
Offline grnwtrs  
#12 Posted : 20 March 2021 01:00:07(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Thank you for the very nice pictures. You have a very nice outdoor layout, done with great skill, and very attractive.
The rolling stock is excellent. Good job!

Thanks again for the pictures of your layout

Regards, gene