Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2017 14:46:41(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi,

As some of you will know, I've been building a Z Scale layout for about 18 months now. This is my first foray into Z Scale and many of my expectations have proved ill-founded, but in general I've been pleased with what I've achieved so far.

One aspect of Z scale locomotives that has surprised and disappointed me is the poor slow speed running characteristics. Admittedly, track and wheel cleanliness is a problem and I have yet to find a really good way of ensuring good electrical continuity. My current regime of polishing with a track rubber followed by cleaning with Track Magic does seem to be comparatively effective, though.

However, even when everything is making good contact, the slow running is not particularly smooth nor particularly slow. Much to my surprise, it seems that steam locomotives run much more smoothly at slow speed that (bogie) diesels. My 88943 0-10-0 is my best runner in this respect by quite a margin. The diesels also seem to suffer impaired contact especially on corners - it seems the pickup contact resistance between the wheel and the contact and between the bogie and the loco proper tends to vary quite a lot depending upon the inclination and orientation of the bogies.

I'm really interested to hear if this experience correlates with that of other modellers. I'd be delighted to hear of any tips to improve matters, though I suspect it's more or less inevitable given the small size and low mass of everything. As someone at Zedex said to me, Z scale isn't really suitable for shunting operations (though Gareth Rees' Mini Missoula layout seemed keen to prove that wrong).

Best Wishes to all

Chris
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2017 18:08:29(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Chris,
My understanding from reading on the topic is that slow speed running is greatly improved by converting Z equipment to digital. It provides constant track voltage which helps with cleanliness issues. It also allows tuning to optimize the motors. Some of the decoders drop right in to full bodied electrics and diesels. Steam locos may require more work.
Regards,
Roger
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2017 20:36:25(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I echo rbw993's view. If you are running analog, switching to digital helps a LOT.

As is demonstrated by z-sven, in Germany: where he connects a digital decoder between the power to the analog track to the rack (so the decoder is inline to the track. Thus he can demo the difference between running the same loco direct from the power supply, and compare that with that same power supply powering a DCC system, which powers a single decoder, which powers the track loop.

The running characteristics one can achieve via digital are so much better than just direct analog.

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2017 22:22:54(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks very much for the replies - that's very helpful!

I don't think I'm quite ready to make the jump to digital, but it looks to me that I could get a useful improvement by substituting my constant voltage controllers with PWM (or variant thereof) controllers.

That can be another small project when time permits!

All the best

Chris
Offline Carim  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2017 15:03:27(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

How many track feeds do you have and are they far apart? Maybe adding a few more might help - a quick experiment could be done with a bit of wire and crocodile clips.

I note your points about clean tracks and wheels, but have you checked the mechanisms?

You can also try gently bending the contacts a bit more - after one of my locos ran into an obstruction, it wouldn't run anymore and I found the cause to be the contact from the bogie to the mechanism had got very slightly distorted from the impact. I bent the contact up a bit, and back to perfect running.

Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 19 April 2017 20:01:13(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks Carim

Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
How many track feeds do you have and are they far apart? Maybe adding a few more might help - a quick experiment could be done with a bit of wire and crocodile clips.

The layout is split into a number of different electrical sections - the longest of which is around 2m in length and fed from both ends. The behaviour is much the same on short sections directly next to the feed point so I don't think this is the issue.

Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
I note your points about clean tracks and wheels, but have you checked the mechanisms?

You can also try gently bending the contacts a bit more - after one of my locos ran into an obstruction, it wouldn't run anymore and I found the cause to be the contact from the bogie to the mechanism had got very slightly distorted from the impact. I bent the contact up a bit, and back to perfect running.

Carim

I have to admit that I am nervous of disassembling too much - I have removed and disassembled the bogies of my Ludmilla and got them back together without losing anything a couple of times, but my nerves can't stand doing that too much! I did pay attention to the contact strips and make attempt to optimise their positions, but I get the impression that once the bogie rotates on a curve the contact between bogie and body is impaired.

Is my experience that stem locos run more smoothly than diesels typical?

Thanks for the suggestions, all the best

Chris
Offline Carim  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2017 20:24:25(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

Is my experience that stem locos run more smoothly than diesels typical?

Sorry, I don't have any steam locos, so I can't say.

Carim
Offline Nightowl4933  
#8 Posted : 22 April 2017 11:53:22(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Damn, I wish I'd known about this before. I'd always wanted to digitalise my Z-Scale layout and believed it was only limited to turnouts, etc!

To assist in running my locos slowly, I used the Gaugemaster HF series of track cleaners, and I didn't have any problems, really.

I also have to say that z-sven is using micro-track, which I think may be superior to Märklin for keeping clean (although quite a lot of my track was, initially, second had - I used new after all the issues I had with the old stuff) but the track available was limited, at the time.

Good luck!
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline danmarklinman  
#9 Posted : 23 April 2017 18:07:30(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

As some of you will know, I've been building a Z Scale layout for about 18 months now. This is my first foray into Z Scale and many of my expectations have proved ill-founded, but in general I've been pleased with what I've achieved so far.

One aspect of Z scale locomotives that has surprised and disappointed me is the poor slow speed running characteristics. Admittedly, track and wheel cleanliness is a problem and I have yet to find a really good way of ensuring good electrical continuity. My current regime of polishing with a track rubber followed by cleaning with Track Magic does seem to be comparatively effective, though.

However, even when everything is making good contact, the slow running is not particularly smooth nor particularly slow. Much to my surprise, it seems that steam locomotives run much more smoothly at slow speed that (bogie) diesels. My 88943 0-10-0 is my best runner in this respect by quite a margin. The diesels also seem to suffer impaired contact especially on corners - it seems the pickup contact resistance between the wheel and the contact and between the bogie and the loco proper tends to vary quite a lot depending upon the inclination and orientation of the bogies.

I'm really interested to hear if this experience correlates with that of other modellers. I'd be delighted to hear of any tips to improve matters, though I suspect it's more or less inevitable given the small size and low mass of everything. As someone at Zedex said to me, Z scale isn't really suitable for shunting operations (though Gareth Rees' Mini Missoula layout seemed keen to prove that wrong).

Best Wishes to all

Chris

Hi, Chris I had Z from 1978 to about 10 years ago, and frankly I miss it.
I achieved some good slow running with mine, both of the live overhead wires and track. I developed my own system by first keeping loco wheels clean and the contacts from the bogies to the chassis. Using lighter fuel. And the Minitrix wire cleaner for the wheels. As far as the track is concerned I use a nail buffer to rub over the rails as it does not leave any residue. And a clean with lighter fuel on the points and inside edges of the rail on curves? The use of a Gaugemaster electronic cleaner and a Marklin track cleaning rail bus, got rid of any dust sitting on remaining rails?
This gave me good reliable slow moving trains😀👍🚂
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#10 Posted : 30 April 2017 00:38:55(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

Hi, Chris I had Z from 1978 to about 10 years ago, and frankly I miss it.
I achieved some good slow running with mine, both of the live overhead wires and track. I developed my own system by first keeping loco wheels clean and the contacts from the bogies to the chassis. Using lighter fuel. And the Minitrix wire cleaner for the wheels. As far as the track is concerned I use a nail buffer to rub over the rails as it does not leave any residue. And a clean with lighter fuel on the points and inside edges of the rail on curves? The use of a Gaugemaster electronic cleaner and a Marklin track cleaning rail bus, got rid of any dust sitting on remaining rails?
This gave me good reliable slow moving trains😀👍🚂

Thanks! That's good advice - I'll check out the Gaugemaster electronic cleaner. Also interesting what you say about the track cleaning bus - I seem to be picking up on mixed opinions of that elsewhere!

Electrics aside, any other advice on how to get the locomotives themselves to run smoothly at slow speed? The mechanics (especially of bogie locomotives) don't seem to be as free-running as I expected. Funnily enough, lubrication (and, yes, I am very sparing with the oil) doesn't seem to help - in fact I get the impression it makes running more "sticky".

Cheers!

Chris
Offline Carim  
#11 Posted : 01 May 2017 01:24:52(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I don't know if you or a previous owner took any of your locos apart before, but one thing that I found when assembling the mechanism on electrics is that you have to be very careful about how the bearings holding the worm gear are seated. Secondly, it is easy to misplace or over-tighten the covers that go over the worm gears. Get any of these points wrong and I found that the performance is substantially inhibited.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#12 Posted : 03 May 2017 22:30:26(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thanks Carim,

Thanks for the advice.

All of my locos have been bought new and I haven't (yet) disassembled them to that level, but those are certainly things for me to check. I can't imagine in a production environment, things are assembled and fine tuned to the same level of care that you or I might apply.

Cheers

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton