Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ktsolias  
#51 Posted : 15 August 2016 11:05:53(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Have a look at the new couplers from Marklin

New Current Contacting Couplers.jpg

Are not in the catalog yet, but you can find them easily
Are for semi-permanent consists.
Are very reliable
The problem is that they are at the moment very expensive 12-15 Euros
I try to do something like with normal couplers and SIL pins
If I succed I will post the method
Thanks
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#52 Posted : 15 August 2016 11:15:58(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post

Really quite expensive, 15€ per single coupler, not a pair!!!

A bit cheaper, You get them from http://www.lokmuseum.de for 9,40€ each, but still quite expensive.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline eduard71  
#53 Posted : 16 August 2016 15:14:26(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi,
This is a perfect solution and a low cost one too. One question, can this solution be used with an analog AC transformer? is the capacitor safe and can hold the extra voltage when you change the direction?

Best regards

Eduardo
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#54 Posted : 16 August 2016 16:31:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
.......... this should be a sticky,

Made topic Sticky.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline ktsolias  
#55 Posted : 16 August 2016 21:19:00(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Originally Posted by: eduard71 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
This is a perfect solution and a low cost one too. One question, can this solution be used with an analog AC transformer? is the capacitor safe and can hold the extra voltage when you change the direction?

Best regards

Eduardo

Of course can be used with analog AC trafo.
The capacitor must be at least 63V.
Of course the rectifier voltage must be high enough, usally the rectifier bridges are 200V or more.

Costas
Offline Bart  
#56 Posted : 16 August 2016 21:25:38(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post

New Current Contacting Couplers.jpg

Are not in the catalog yet, but you can find them easily
Are for semi-permanent consists.
Are very reliable
I try to do something like with normal couplers and SIL pins
If I succed I will post the method
Thanks

Yes, those are great couplers.
They are very flat, and they won't touch the rails or get stuck at turnouts.
They are not new, though.
AFAIK they were introduced as standard in a Märklin DB train set with a control car (I don't remember which one) about 15 years ago, and have been available as spare parts since. I bought some in 2005 for €3.20 each. Recently, prices were increased to €12 ea, as happened with most spare parts.

*Bart
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bart
Offline r.weeks  
#57 Posted : 20 April 2017 22:19:51(UTC)
r.weeks

United States   
Another option is Roco part number 40345 they are 4 pole and run about $20.00 fit nicely in the Marklin pockets.
Offline dominator  
#58 Posted : 21 April 2017 23:40:44(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I wonder why they didnt make them with one male and one female pins. That way they would only have to make one sort and you could connect cars either way. Seems dumb to me.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Minok  
#59 Posted : 22 April 2017 00:12:58(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I wonder why they didnt make them with one male and one female pins. That way they would only have to make one sort and you could connect cars either way. Seems dumb to me.
Dereck

Would not one of the plugs then have, say +ve on the male and -ve on the female, and the opposite wagon's plug would need +ve on the female and -ve on he male.. so that the cars still could not get flipped around in orientation? You'd get short circuits that way.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline dominator  
#60 Posted : 22 April 2017 13:47:39(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
You might be right there. If they had bridge rectifiers in the carriages you could get around that though.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#61 Posted : 10 February 2022 06:07:05(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all,

Some research led me to this post, which I find interesting for my project I'm working on. A question for experts familiar with this: a single coach per the diagram/ video in this thread makes total sense to me. But to extend it to a 4-6 car train, pretending 2 pole couplings or similar, does the circuit change, or do I just run the LED strips from car to car and thats it?

I'm assuming the draw of the additional LEDs will mean at least a different resistor, or a pot to adjust?). And do you cut the strips as well as reverse the +/- in every car, or just the "lead" car?

Thanks for any advice! This seems like a cheap solution, and additional cars would only cost the extra bit of LED roll and the 2 pole couplers/wires?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Minok  
#62 Posted : 10 February 2022 06:31:07(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Some research led me to this post, which I find interesting for my project I'm working on. A question for experts familiar with this: a single coach per the diagram/ video in this thread makes total sense to me. But to extend it to a 4-6 car train, pretending 2 pole couplings or similar, does the circuit change, or do I just run the LED strips from car to car and thats it?

I'm assuming the draw of the additional LEDs will mean at least a different resistor, or a pot to adjust?). And do you cut the strips as well as reverse the +/- in every car, or just the "lead" car?

Thanks for any advice! This seems like a cheap solution, and additional cars would only cost the extra bit of LED roll and the 2 pole couplers/wires?

The experts will chime in but here is my quick take. The ground comes from wheel pickups in each car so you only need couplers to conduct the track voltage from the center pickup - 1 conductor or are Märklin conducting couplers. In each car you do it the same way - a rectifier and capacitor and resistor to feed a local strip of leds. That way you can rearrange the cars at will.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline PeFu  
#63 Posted : 10 February 2022 07:09:41(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
A question for experts familiar with this: a single coach per the diagram/ video in this thread makes total sense to me. But to extend it to a 4-6 car train, pretending 2 pole couplings or similar, does the circuit change, or do I just run the LED strips from car to car and thats it?

This is how I do it:

One ground connector per car
One rectifier per car
One resistor per car
One capacitor per car
One pickup shoe per train
One function decoder per train
One relay per train
Current conducting couplers

It’s explained in the link above.

Smile

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#64 Posted : 10 February 2022 08:39:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Here's how Martin from Marklin of Sweden fits lights in coaches

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#65 Posted : 12 February 2022 01:03:35(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Here's how Martin from Marklin of Sweden fits lights in coaches

This is nicely straightforward. What I'm not understanding is any amendments needed for multiple cars on 1 "lead" car with ground spring/pickup shoe/rectifier/cap. I'm assuming that would be different resistors? There is also the potential for a capacitor inrush issue if using multiple sets, but that I know how to solve.

Any ideas?

SBB Era 2-5
Offline rbw993  
#66 Posted : 23 March 2022 14:41:50(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I have at least 40 passenger cars on the layout, most lit with this method, and have not seen any issues regarding in-rush of current. There are resistors in each car (along with a rectifier and a capacitor. The layout is divided up among three boosters so maybe that helps with in-rush.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#67 Posted : 23 March 2022 16:34:44(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
I have at least 40 passenger cars on the layout, most lit with this method, and have not seen any issues regarding in-rush of current. There are resistors in each car (along with a rectifier and a capacitor. The layout is divided up among three boosters so maybe that helps with in-rush.

Regards,
Roger

Hi Roger, just curious are you using a ground spring in each car, or one master and running two pole wiring from car to car? If the latter, how are you handling the connections/couplings between cars?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline rbw993  
#68 Posted : 25 March 2022 12:33:58(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi John,
I use a ground spring in each car. Couplings are one pole either the "permanent" or couplable(?) 72020. I generally couple two cars together with the permanent one but have the 72020 on the two ends. Some pairs have a slider others don't. I have found that a 3 car set coupled "permanently" are difficult to handle when rerailing. Most my passenger trins are 6 cars or more so there can sometimes be more than one slider but I do prefer one because of the drag. I also apply powdered graphite to the axles where the ground sping makes contact to reduce drag.

Regards,
Roger
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#69 Posted : 25 March 2022 16:43:08(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Hi John,
I use a ground spring in each car. Couplings are one pole either the "permanent" or couplable(?) 72020. I generally couple two cars together with the permanent one but have the 72020 on the two ends. Some pairs have a slider others don't. I have found that a 3 car set coupled "permanently" are difficult to handle when rerailing. Most my passenger trins are 6 cars or more so there can sometimes be more than one slider but I do prefer one because of the drag. I also apply powdered graphite to the axles where the ground sping makes contact to reduce drag.

Regards,
Roger

Thanks! Excellent idea on the graphite...

SBB Era 2-5
Offline BenP  
#70 Posted : 25 March 2022 18:38:47(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Some pics of LED strips with small capacitor and conducting couplers for plastic cars (connect front&back couplers with its own wire, instead of rectified LED strip power). Metal cars cannot be connected through the coupler (which is ground), so I use a thin single wire with electronics board connectors between cars (LED grounded in each car). Obviously, disconnecting metal carriages requires manually unplugging wire.

20220308_172243.jpg
20220211_080100.jpg
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP