Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jvuye  
#51 Posted : 18 April 2017 21:20:54(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
It is sad that too many people look at plastic models and dismiss them out of hand. For what you lose in a plastic shelled model, you gain in terms of detail… Not every train model is going to be the same. Some are better and some are worse, but in general, Roco, LSM, ACME are at the top of the game.

I have a predilection for Maerklin (and Hag), but as I am first and foremost a collector and modeller of Swiss trains, if I can't get a model from Maerklin and there is another company that makes that model, then I will consider it.

Over the last 30 years, I have come to greatly appreciate the 303mm exact scale coaches and most of those are plastic. They look wonderful, either behind my metal (or plastic) Maerklin or Hag locomotives or also behind the Roco ones too.

The only time that you are going to lose is when you run a metal Maerklin lok into a Roco lok, as the Roco lok will suffer more damage.

My first Roco lok (Re 4/4IV) still looks as good and runs as well as when I first got it. I have made some changes to the model (Flusterschleifer - new slider). The newer Re 4/4s, Re 6/6s, etc are on par with anything on the market.

If you collect and play Maerklin, that is one thing. If you collect and play trains, you have to consider other brands and they will work fine alongside the Maerklin ones.

Regards

Mike C

I could take any of Mike's words as my own!
I have a (**obsessive**) predilection for the history of the TEEs, and through the years must have probably accumulated over 95% of all the railcars, locos and coaches ever used in those services.
And of course, just like Mike, when Märklin issues one of them, it will soon join the collection!
But, some of them were only made by ROCO , and so they have been part of the collection, originally in 2 rail versions, which of course were converted promptly to 3 rail.
The Lemano ALn that started this thread is a very nice model, and it runs beautifully. I must have gotten a later version, since it has the TEE logo on the fronts, instead of the FS cookies
And there are also the SNCF X2770 RGP TEE , which ROCO cleverly conceived like the original as you can run it with two, three or fours cars, just like the Paris-Ruhr/ Parsifal and the Ile de France of the late 1950's early 1960's
So are the later FS TEE coaches (Lemano, Mediolanum, Ligure, etc) absolutely perfect in every regard, with the FS E 444 Tortoise to pull these . (The latter being an original ROCO 3 rail, no conversion!)
Then there are all the SNCF locos and coaches ...
Recent purchases of a CC 6500 and a 2D2 proved that plastic bodied locos, with a heavy metal chassis and the proper mechanical arrangement can play very competitively against products from Goeppingen.
Cheers

Hi what's the minimum radius of these two Roco sncf locos? And do you have any REE locos? Cheers Dan

They all run perfectly on R1. No sweat.
I just got my first REE loco, à CC7121. Stunning accurate and exquisite détails. Just describing all the functionalities would take a new post. I love the slow articulated directional pantographs. The cabs are hyperdetailed. Very powerful: pulls my Train Bleu set (12 CIWL coaches) with easy. Originally wouldn't pass on R1, but all it needed was regauging the wheels to 13.8 mm from the original 14.2 mm.
A dream now, albeit à délicate one. I wouldn't risk buying à REE steam loco though: I do run my trains intensely !!!
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Jabez  
#52 Posted : 18 April 2017 22:15:44(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Originally wouldn't pass on R1, but all it needed was regauging the wheels to 13.8 mm from the original 14.2 mm.
A dream now, albeit à délicate one. I wouldn't risk buying à REE steam loco though: I do run my trains intensely !!!

I have found that my recently bought Roco 68149 AC steamer, minimum recommended radius 419.6mm, runs perfectly well on M* R1 360 mm radius curves if operated slowly and carefully. Since I only have R1 on shunting and loco depot yard tracks this is no practical drawback.
Jabez

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez