Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2017 19:30:17(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi all,

My very new 37105 is now having some problems getting started; lights and effects all work and it sounds like it's huffing and chuffing, but not moving until I physically push it a few cm or so down the track. Mysteriously, this happened right after my brother-in-law left after a visit and I know he was playing with the trains, but we'll be nice and just call it a coincidence. Anyway, I've done some research on this site but can't find any advice on what I might look at or do to correct this. The locomotive has probably run about 30-40 hours and I have not done any maintenance since I took it out of the box. Otherwise, it runs very well and is a beautiful locomotive with its running lights lit. Can anyone advise as to what to do?

Thank you, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline Leitner  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2017 21:11:29(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
I have the same model and it always run quite smooth, but this is not helpful for you.

So, I have a few question, when you increase the speed from your MS or CS the engine of the lok do any noise?
Have you tried to apply some oil? (I'm quite sure it will not help though)

Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline Dave Banks  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2017 22:41:44(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
You have either a decoder issue or a winding in the armature that has broken or become disconnected. My suggestion is send back to your dealer if that was the method of purchase. Had a Taurus #39838 "Adria Transport" that did exactly as you mentioned. It went back to "M" & was duly replaced with a new one.

Dave...
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2017 23:54:55(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
You have either a decoder issue or a winding in the armature that has broken or become disconnected. My suggestion is send back to your dealer if that was the method of purchase. Had a Taurus #39838 "Adria Transport" that did exactly as you mentioned. It went back to "M" & was duly replaced with a new one.

Dave...

Thanks for the advice - I did try a little oil but no change in behavior so since it's only 3 weeks old, I'm hoping AJCKIDS will exchange it for another one, I just contacted them. It is a very nice locomotive but I know things occasionally prove defective.
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2017 07:14:03(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

My very new 37105 is now having some problems getting started; lights and effects all work and it sounds like it's huffing and chuffing, but not moving until I physically push it a few cm or so down the track. Mysteriously, this happened right after my brother-in-law left after a visit and I know he was playing with the trains, but we'll be nice and just call it a coincidence. Anyway, I've done some research on this site but can't find any advice on what I might look at or do to correct this. The locomotive has probably run about 30-40 hours and I have not done any maintenance since I took it out of the box. Otherwise, it runs very well and is a beautiful locomotive with its running lights lit. Can anyone advise as to what to do?

Thank you, John

Hi John

This is usually only a small problem, and a well known one with locos that have been on the shelves for a while!Wink !
This loco still has the (very good!) older type motor with the so called "drum" commutator.
The behavior you observed is caused by one of the brushes not touching the commutator properly.
The little "nudge" gets it back in contact.
The usual cause is some oxidation/ contamination/wear on the brush(es) and/or the commutator.

Take the user manual and it will show you how to access/change the brushes.

Remove the brushes and clean them each with a drop of lighter fluid.
Then reassemble and run the loco for a few minutes.

**However** be aware that at the time this loco came out, there was a number of problems with the brushes themselves : they were too soft and rapidly clogged the commutator.

Simply install a set of fresh (and recent) brushes.
If that doesn't solve it, you'll need to have the commutator cleaned up.

But that is a different level of complex intervention altogether.

Let us know if/when you get to that point!

Hope this helps

Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Torstein  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2017 11:04:41(UTC)
Torstein

Norway   
Hi John.

Are you sure the brake are not on in the play world modus, the behavior look like that. You have two functions buttons for the brake sound on this decoder and after some stops with sound the play world brake will turn on and the loc will not move before you take the brake off. Activate/turn off brake - for play world - function 10 when you run in standard modus.

The new BR 210 gas turbine have the same behavior.

Hope it helps.

Torstein
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Torstein
Offline Tom Koh  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2017 11:07:25(UTC)
Tom Koh

Dr Eisenbahn
I am going to try doing what you recommend on my Ae 6/6 that has exactly the same issue (my problem was posted a few days ago). The only difference is that when I push my lox it does not work but all the lights, sounds n other functions work
Tom Koh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Koh
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#8 Posted : 22 March 2017 13:01:41(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: Torstein Go to Quoted Post
Hi John.

Are you sure the brake are not on in the play world modus, the behavior look like that. You have two functions buttons for the brake sound on this decoder and after some stops with sound the play world brake will turn on and the loc will not move before you take the brake off. Activate/turn off brake - for play world - function 10 when you run in standard modus.

Hope it helps.

Torstein

Ahh - this is good to know. I did try removing the loco in my MS2 and re-installing it, but it had no effect on the stalling issue unfortunately. Thanks for sending this - this is useful knowledge.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#9 Posted : 22 March 2017 13:08:31(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Thank you, John

Hi John

This is usually only a small problem, and a well known one with locos that have been on the shelves for a while!Wink !
This loco still has the (very good!) older type motor with the so called "drum" commutator.
The behavior you observed is caused by one of the brushes not touching the commutator properly.
The little "nudge" gets it back in contact.
The usual cause is some oxidation/ contamination/wear on the brush(es) and/or the commutator.

Take the user manual and it will show you how to access/change the brushes.

Remove the brushes and clean them each with a drop of lighter fluid.
Then reassemble and run the loco for a few minutes.

**However** be aware that at the time this loco came out, there was a number of problems with the brushes themselves : they were too soft and rapidly clogged the commutator.

Simply install a set of fresh (and recent) brushes.
If that doesn't solve it, you'll need to have the commutator cleaned up.

But that is a different level of complex intervention altogether.

Let us know if/when you get to that point!

Hope this helps

Jacques

Hi Jacques, Thank you for the advice - I've changed brushes and so forth on other locomotives, so I'll try the brush cleaning and see if they have deteriorated. I am heading out the door for a business trip, but I'll let you know if it works. AJCKIDS also suggested also that the brushes may not be well seated. A brief plug for AJCKIDS in the US - they have been a pleasure to deal with and gave me no hassle about requesting an exchange. But, I'll try cleaning the brushes first.

Thank you, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline baggio  
#10 Posted : 22 March 2017 13:11:22(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
A brief plug for AJCKIDS in the US - they have been a pleasure to deal with and gave me no hassle about requesting an exchange.But, I'll try cleaning the brushes first.

You may want NOT to do this - they may not like the loco being OPENED by a customer and might void the warranty. Ask them before you try.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 22 March 2017 13:18:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Changing the brushes is covered by the locomotive instructions. It cannot possibly invalidate the warranty.

However I can't imagine that a locomotive that is still within the warranty period should need the brushes changing unless the loco has been left running for hours on end.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 22 March 2017 13:22:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
You may want NOT to do this - they may not like the loco being OPENED by a customer and might void the warranty. Ask them before you try.
We are talking about a standard maintenance that is even described in the instructions pamphlet that comes with the loco.
Doing this does not void the warranty in Germany - and hopefully not elsewhere in the world.

The brushes should not be worn, but I had two or three locos where the brushes did not have enough tension on the commutator because the motor shield was also used as a holder for several cables and the cables interfered with the springs.
A little bending of the capacitor, gentle pulling the cables to and fro fixed the issue.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 22 March 2017 13:38:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
We are talking about a standard maintenance that is even described in the instructions pamphlet that comes with the loco.
Doing this does not void the warranty in Germany - and hopefully not elsewhere in the world.

The brushes should not be worn, but I had two or three locos where the brushes did not have enough tension on the commutator because the motor shield was also used as a holder for several cables and the cables interfered with the springs.
A little bending of the capacitor, gentle pulling the cables to and fro fixed the issue.

I had a similar issue with one of the brush holder springs catching on a blob of solder. In this case it was an "own goal" as I had done the soldering myself for a digital conversion. The point is that the spring was not free to push the brush with an even pressure and I had erratic running. Re-soldering more carefully with a small amount of solder did the trick.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline petestra  
#14 Posted : 22 March 2017 15:22:02(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi John.

Hope it helps.

Torstein

Thanks so much, Torstein. That solved the problem on my SBB 37325 Lok. I had the brake on in the operations mode!

Cheers, Peter ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline petestra  
#15 Posted : 22 March 2017 15:23:39(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi all,

Thank you, John

Thanks, John. So glad you asked this question. Cheers, Peter Cool
Offline baggio  
#16 Posted : 22 March 2017 16:09:32(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I still think calling the dealer ahead of time before opening the loco is a MUST, just in case.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 22 March 2017 16:47:51(UTC)
H0

It is a good idea to contact the dealer before sending a loco directly to Märklin for a warranty repair.

You have to open the loco to lubricate it before use. Why call the dealer before you open the loco?

Touch the springs the push the brushes with a pair of pliers or a small screw driver and check if that improves the situation. No force needed, just touch gently.
Loco can be run without boiler, so there is no need to reassemble it before the test run.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#18 Posted : 22 March 2017 18:02:01(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Opening a loco is a must for every owner, always. These ladies are not iphones or such. They must be opened and disassembled to a certain level for basic maintenance and troubleshooting, Marklin even sells the tools for doing it.....,
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline baggio  
#19 Posted : 22 March 2017 19:03:52(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
You have to open the loco to lubricate it before use. Why call the dealer before you open the loco?

The proposition here is that the dealer will EXCHANGE the loco.

If I were the dealer and intended to resell it or send it to Marklin under warranty, I would like the peace of mind that the customer did nor open the loco and POTENTIALLY break something.

If Marklin sees inside the loco something amiss and knows that the customer opened the loco, Marklin may decline coverage claiming that the customer did the damage, even if it's not true in fact.

NOT telling Marklin that the customer operated on the loco would be unfair.

Therefore, do not open the loco, take it to the store and let them deal with the loco.

My usual 2 cents' worth. BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#20 Posted : 22 March 2017 19:37:13(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
I very much appreciate all the replies and I'm glad some people were helped out by them. I took the advice of contacting the dealer, AJCKIDS, and they felt that one of the armatures was not getting power. They said opening it up will not void the warranty and they could either exchange it for a new loco or send me a new armature to try. I seem to be having a streak of bad luck lately with locomotives, so I may just send it back although I think it's enjoyable to work on these things.

Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline cookee_nz  
#21 Posted : 23 March 2017 06:05:04(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Hi John.

Hope it helps.

Torstein

Thanks so much, Torstein. That solved the problem on my SBB 37325 Lok. I had the brake on in the operations mode!

Cheers, Peter ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

LOL, reminds me....

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline mvd71  
#22 Posted : 24 March 2017 10:36:52(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I very much appreciate all the replies and I'm glad some people were helped out by them. I took the advice of contacting the dealer, AJCKIDS, and they felt that one of the armatures was not getting power. They said opening it up will not void the warranty and they could either exchange it for a new loco or send me a new armature to try. I seem to be having a streak of bad luck lately with locomotives, so I may just send it back although I think it's enjoyable to work on these things.

Cheers, John

Hi John,

The symptoms you are describing is consistent with a faulty armature in the motor. Having dealt with this on a few locals in the past, I would recommend sending it back for warranty assessment/repair.

Cheers.... Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline petestra  
#23 Posted : 24 March 2017 11:01:50(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I fixed one of mine by slightly increasing the pressure onto the brushes by very little bending in of the brush springs. It worked on one of

mine if you know what you're doing well enough. Peter Cool
Offline dickinsonj  
#24 Posted : 25 March 2017 00:48:19(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
A brief plug for AJCKIDS in the US - they have been a pleasure to deal with and gave me no hassle about requesting an exchange.
Thank you, John

Here is my vote for ADCKids as well!

They have treated me very well and they are now my go to dealer for all my Märklin needs.BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline baggio  
#25 Posted : 25 March 2017 01:04:26(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
This question is for the Administrator:

Is there anything wrong about the forum members endorsing certain shops that give outstanding service in each country and/or state/province?

We could come up with a list of best stores for members to go to.

Any thoughts on point?
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 25 March 2017 07:29:13(UTC)
H0

Any thoughts on point?
The service quality provided by the shops does vary. It varies a lot with some shops.
Much customer feedback will be needed to get a good picture.

People are more likely to write about bad experiences, so getting a fair picture is not easy,
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline sjbartels  
#27 Posted : 25 March 2017 18:00:26(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
This question is for the Administrator:

Is there anything wrong about the forum members endorsing certain shops that give outstanding service in each country and/or state/province?

We could come up with a list of best stores for members to go to.

Any thoughts on point?

There is no problem with anyone recommending a dealer based on personal experience(s), this is not without precedent. However actual dealer advertising is not. Please post any such reviews or comments in the eBay dealers and review section of the forum.Thanks SJB
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjbartels