Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AtlanticMan  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2017 22:32:47(UTC)
AtlanticMan

United States   
Simple question: What would be good size screws (available at Lowe's or Home Depot) for securing M-track to plywood? I figure that this would be cheaper than Marklin track screws. Thanks.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2017 22:58:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
There have been some other threads on this topic in the forum, but I use bronze M4 25mm (1 inch) screws to secure my M track. Using these means you have to drill the hole in the track out (watch for burrs when you do this), but with bronze screws you hardly notice them.
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2017 23:14:21(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
You might need only one box of them or maybe not at all. I have over 300 feet of M track and I secured the track about every 3 sections. Due to maintenance and changes on the layout I have been leaving out the screws with no problem of the track coming apart by itself. You can put some white glue on the bottom of the track to give it some hold and it comes off the track rather easily. The only time I can see you need a lot of screws if the layout is portable - Fred
Offline sjbartels  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2017 23:43:47(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: AtlanticMan Go to Quoted Post
Simple question: What would be good size screws (available at Lowe's or Home Depot) for securing M-track to plywood? I figure that this would be cheaper than Marklin track screws. Thanks.

I have about 6 boxes of actual M Track screws we might be able to work a deal for, if you're interested....
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2017 23:49:46(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

The screws delivered by Märklin were 2.0x15. At least here in Germany 1.6X16 and 2.0x16 plywood-screws are available at better building-centres. Märklin sell their screws #74990 for ~8 EUR/200. Yes you can save money, but 200 screws are good for ~100 meters of rails. That's nothing were you can really save money, even if you find them for the half price or for free.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Tex  
#6 Posted : 18 February 2017 03:42:30(UTC)
Tex

United States   

The Marklin track screws that I am familiar with CAN NOT be driven into plywood unless you first drill a pilot hole. I used screws purchased from a company called train aids ( or something like that ). These screws are very hard and sharp and also blackened. I do not remember the prices but I found them well worth the money. I also purchased a screw driver from them. It is important that the screw driver not be too large or two small.
Tex
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tex
Offline sjbartels  
#7 Posted : 18 February 2017 05:19:02(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: Tex Go to Quoted Post

The Marklin track screws that I am familiar with CAN NOT be driven into plywood unless you first drill a pilot hole. I used screws purchased from a company called train aids ( or something like that ). These screws are very hard and sharp and also blackened. I do not remember the prices but I found them well worth the money. I also purchased a screw driver from them. It is important that the screw driver not be too large or two small.
Tex

I've never had any problem using the M track screw without a pilot hole, but then I wasn't using plywood either!

You're most right about the screw driver size though. The screws of course are metric and our screwdrivers here are not, so you need to be mindful of that
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 18 February 2017 06:15:59(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I have used Marklin screws but have never been able to screw them in without making a pilot hole; they just are not sharp enough on plywood.
Offline Nielsenr  
#9 Posted : 18 February 2017 06:29:45(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I bought screws for C track from the place Tex mentioned called trainaidsa.com. They had them in different lengths. Unfortunately, they are no longer around. I think I heard the owner passed away. I have been looking for over a year to try and find similar screws. I recently stumbled across a website that seemed to have the same selection of screws. I just this week received an order from them and picked up an assortment of what they had. Here is a link to their website:

http://dpmodeltrainproducts.com/hardware.htm

They list stores that carry their products, but none were in my area. I sent them an email and they sold me what I wanted direct. Sent me a PayPal invoice to pay. Delivery was fairly quick.

Hope this helps ...

Robert
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 18 February 2017 11:34:07(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
The screws delivered by Märklin were 2.0x15.

Viessmann sell suitable screws for M track in this size.

Viessmann 4178 H0 Track Phillips screws 2 X 15 mm, Pack of 50
Offline xxup  
#11 Posted : 18 February 2017 13:53:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Personally, I think that the Viessmann screws are better than the Marklin ones. The Phillips head slot in the top of the Viessmann screw has a more positive feel.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline analogmike  
#12 Posted : 18 February 2017 18:06:31(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Bolt Depot.com USA

I just ordered these not long ago. Good company.ThumpUp

I think I paid $25.00 for the lot.

Mikey

screws 001.JPG
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .